Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

What would zizek say about the kid with the giant snot drop

my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hey who is excited about playing Zelda or [OTHER NINTENDO SWITCH GAME]???

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

bitmap posted:

2 weeks off...a nintendo switch w/ zelds...and a big bag of weed

:c00l::shopkeeper::hellyeah::shopkeeper::c00l:

What are you gonna do with the other 10 days?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Teikanmi posted:

I'm excited to play Glover 2: Glover 2

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

a new study bible! posted:

What are you gonna do with the other 10 days?

READ A BOOK

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

or idno I didnt get around to the pillars of eternity expansions maybe I'll fire that poo poo up

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

maybe nuclear throne...gonna be a good week

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

bitmap posted:

maybe nuclear throne...gonna be a good week

rad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SeXReX posted:

lol the new zeldumb doesn't even have an hour of unskippable cut scenes with Hollywood voice actors what a loving joke of a "game"
https://twitter.com/SethBling/status/836302637716819969

This Game Can Be Completed in Less Than an Hour, And Here's Why That's a Good Thing

Do you write for Buzzfeed?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Teikanmi posted:

I'm excited to buy the same games they have been selling me for 20 years again, but on even more lacking hardware. I loving LOVE NINTENDO

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Teikanmi posted:

I'm excited to play the new Mario and some WiiU ports, but that stuff won't come out for like a year.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Snipperclips GOTY

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
just a reminder that nintendo is also releasing a non-stupid version of your new zelda game that doesn't require a $300 mario-less nintendo machine and also no loving god drat motion controls

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

I AM THE TOILET posted:

just a reminder that nintendo is also releasing a non-stupid version of your new zelda game that doesn't require a $300 mario-less nintendo machine and also no loving god drat motion controls

Yeah but it requires a WiiU which is a similarly ill advised console

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
As a slight derail, would many/any of the classic and new Nintendo franchises STILL be as hugely popular if Nintendo became a 3rd Party publisher or would they quickly be drowned out by other third party releases?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

JediTalentAgent posted:

As a slight derail, would many/any of the classic and new Nintendo franchises STILL be as hugely popular if Nintendo became a 3rd Party publisher or would they quickly be drowned out by other third party releases?

Nintendo would make a gently caress-ton of cash if they teamed with apple and made some sort of useful wrap around controller for the iphone. I think they are the only ones who could do it because people would be wary of buying a controller and a full price phone game unless it was Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.

They'd also keep making money on console/PC releases, without having console development costs, manufacturing costs and so on.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

JediTalentAgent posted:

Only if they signed an exclusive deal to publish on only one console. Multiplatform Nntendo is a bad idea.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

JediTalentAgent posted:

It depends.I think Mario will always always sell but some of the other franchises that haven't had a good title in many years like Metroid or Starfox would probably suffer. Also, niche poo poo like Pikmin would be dead on arrival.

The one benefit of only releasing on their garbage consoles that third parties won't touch is that owners are so starved for titles that they will buy up pretty much anything for it in order to have SOMETHING to play.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Wind Waker (HD) is easily the best Zelda and lol if you don't agree.

ALTTP ain't poo poo.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Also Metal Gear 5 is the best MGS.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Thanks for putting those bad opinions in separate posts, wouldn't want TOO much poo poo in a single one

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Wrong.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Starfox is a not great as a franchise game because the first one was only neat because the Super FX chip let them do early 3d graphics on a SNES and nobody had really seen anything like that before.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Universe Master posted:

Starfox is a not great as a franchise game because the first one was only neat because the Super FX chip let them do early 3d graphics on a SNES and nobody had really seen anything like that before.

I mean maybe every fourth Mario game is actually good too, but Nintendo fans act like each one is the glorious second coming

Edit: Super Mario World 3D is a garbage game for babies, but every WiiU owner was crying tears of joy over it

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
oh poo poo this time I can become a cat THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Nintendo needs to rename the franchise as "Stariofox" or "Mariofox" about Mario getting stuck fighting a space war in wearing a foxsuit while Toad wears a frogsuit.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Was Mario the first furry?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

This Game Can Be Completed in Less Than an Hour, And Here's Why That's a Good Thing

Do you write for Buzzfeed?

Fallout 2 can be completed in under 20 minutes. That's why they call it a speed run.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
"What if they made zelda but for adult audiences, and it had good graphics and non gimmicky controls and it was on a non nintendo console?"

They did. Its called Dark Souls.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Universe Master posted:

Nintendo would make a gently caress-ton of cash if they teamed with apple and made some sort of useful wrap around controller for the iphone. I think they are the only ones who could do it because people would be wary of buying a controller and a full price phone game unless it was Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.

They'd also keep making money on console/PC releases, without having console development costs, manufacturing costs and so on.

This is an actually interesting discussion on a forum that isn't gamefaqs.

As counterpoints to your arguments, Nintendo breaks even on consoles, and hell, sometimes they even make money on them.

Then there's the benefit of piracy being ridiculously difficult (compared to iPhone, Android, and PC) on consoles. Excluding the Wii because that thing was hacked within like 2 years of release (the 3DS and WiiU took forever).

And the final reason is Nintendo would no longer be able to charge $60 for games. You think they aren't going to take a huge hit when Super Mario 3D World 2 goes from them making a $45 profit per sale compared to $13? And how are you going to get games that are 20+ gigs to fit on an iPhone with 32gb of storage (that isn't upgradeable)? "Welp, my entire collection literally cannot be more than 3 games" is not something I would imagine they'd want many people saying.

I know this is nerd poo poo but I like talking business so if there are counterpoints to this I genuinely would like to discuss them! :)

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 28, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SBJ posted:

"What if they made zelda but for adult audiences, and it had good graphics and non gimmicky controls and it was on a non nintendo console?"

darksiders but yeah

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Minish Cap was the only good one. I know at least 2 people irl with zelda tattoos and it baffles me

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

SBJ posted:

Zelda usually controls well and Dark Souls controls like poo poo though?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Have you guys tried the Power Glove?

It's so... bad

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
They already made a mature Zelda game, it's called Halo.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Universe Master posted:

There are plenty of options if you want a controller for your phone. It's just not many people actually want that.
People would, however, buy any old poo poo by Nintendo if they could. Square Enix manage to sell their ports of ports of re-released FF from 20 years ago for 20 bucks. Easily.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ElGroucho posted:

Have you guys tried the Power Glove?

It's so... bad

It's bad alright

http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/NY20653/Jack-Vinson.html

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Then there's the benefit of piracy being ridiculously difficult (compared to iPhone, Android, and PC) on consoles. Excluding the Wii because that thing was hacked within like 2 years of release (the 3DS and WiiU took forever).

benefits of avoiding console piracy are offset by Nintendo consoles being so weak they are quickly emulated

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

benefits of avoiding console piracy are offset by Nintendo consoles being so weak they are quickly emulated

That's because they make consoles that are easily programmed for :smug:

Seriously though that's what I've read. Explains why you can't emulate the Saturn or N64 properly (both terrible pieces of poo poo to program for) despite them obviously being way weaker.

Also I got my Switch three days early!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This is an actually interesting discussion on a forum that isn't gamefaqs.

As counterpoints to your arguments, Nintendo breaks even on consoles, and hell, sometimes they even make money on them.

And the final reason is Nintendo would no longer be able to charge $60 for games. You think they aren't going to take a huge hit when Super Mario 3D World 2 goes from them making a $45 profit per sale compared to $13? And how are you going to get games that are 20+ gigs to fit on an iPhone with 32gb of storage (that isn't upgradeable)? "Welp, my entire collection literally cannot be more than 3 games" is not something I would imagine they'd want many people saying.

I know this is nerd poo poo but I like talking business so if there are counterpoints to this I genuinely would like to discuss them! :)
The wrap around controller I had in mind was more of a semi-system, with additional storage and probably a cartridge slot for added options. I just think phone games are the future because practically everybody now is carrying a powerful graphics capable minicomputer in their pocket. Somebody is going to take advantage of that someday to make real games for it.

• Locked thread