Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's almost like they're old as gently caress and haven't been relevant in well over 20 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oceania was real good and is 10 years old

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's possible but I don't think he'd have made it to singing professionally at 55 if he didn't already have that down.

It's been over twenty years since we heard Billy sing, which was on Machina, and also his vocal peak imo. Dude has talked through songs for a long time now.

I'm probably technically wrong because I haven't listened to everything post-reunion but I've heard enough :colbert:

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Hey have we talked about how Solara and Beguiled are the exact same loving song?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SUNKOS posted:

It's been over twenty years since we heard Billy sing, which was on Machina, and also his vocal peak imo. Dude has talked through songs for a long time now.

I'm probably technically wrong because I haven't listened to everything post-reunion but I've heard enough :colbert:

You're technically wrong because what he's doing is singing, not speaking. He's hitting the notes in a melody by varying his pitch and timing the words to the rhythm of the song. His vocal style is definitely different than it was when he was 28, but that's because he's in his loving 50s and not 28. He sings, and I'm not sure why you always call it talking.

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Hey have we talked about how Solara and Beguiled are the exact same loving song?

You're not wrong, but like what else is there to say. He did another "chug on the root" song. Great job Billy you did another slightly worse version of that song that was only moderately well received a few years ago.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

The opening track from ATUM sounds like it belongs under the opening credits of a cop movie from like 1988.

It has some really good moments, and a couple of good songs, but really, really didn't need to be 3 CDs. Like I'm sure there's a great single-disc album in there, and I don't understand how you can make a song like "The Good in Goodbye" and then a song like "Hooray!" and say "Yup, these two songs are equally good and will both shine on the same album."

edit: My favorite tracks are probably "Beyond the Vale", "The Good in Goodbye", and "Steps in Time".

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 21, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The opening track from ATUM sounds like it belongs under the opening credits of a cop movie from like 1988.

It has some really good moments, and a couple of good songs, but really, really didn't need to be 3 CDs. Like I'm sure there's a great single-disc album in there, and I don't understand how you can make a song like "The Good in Goodbye" and then a song like "Hooray!" and say "Yup, these two songs are equally good and will both shine on the same album."

I think the idea behind the sprawling 2/3/4 disc albums (or whatever this actually is) is that you have room to put big anthems and quiet statements and weird little asides in there. Cupid de Locke can't really stand side-by-side with Porcelina but here we are.

I think the stupid thing is this insane release plan, releasing disc 1 in November but just calling it ATUM, then disc 2 in January, then disc 3 in April BUT the first two of those they're only putting them up on streaming, no sales, and then in April they'll actually sell the whole thing BUT the whole thing will also have an extra disc that will only be available with the physical media release.

Honestly I think Billy just knows that traditional sales models aren't really working and definitely aren't going to work for a band that's been around for 34 years, so they're just trying random poo poo. Drip-feed it to build hype, but drip-feed it in big chunks so it's still a statement, but don't sell it that way, sell it only as a total package, but you still gotta have streaming so yeah put the chunks up on Spotify and poo poo, but also we gotta reward the serious collector who will buy vinyl so also there's an extra disc just for them. I get that they're trying something new, but they're not clearly communicating that and frankly nobody really gives enough of a poo poo at this point to pay closer attention. They're way overthinking it without actually understanding it. It's overproofed and underbaked.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Comparing Hooray to Cupid actually made me realize what doesn't work for me on this album. Songs like Cupid de Locke, We Only Come Out at Night, even Beautiful kind of, that work as "side" pieces as opposed to "main" tracks, I think they work because of how organic they sound. The harp, the 12-string, the beatboxing, they lend a sort of homespun, comforting quality to MCIS. The tracks that serve that purpose on ATUM have a cold, synthetic, very alienating sound. You can even listen to Adore, their so-called "electronic album", and won't be able to say it doesn't sound organic compared to ATUM or Cyr.

"The Gold Mask" has this little piano doodley-doo and as soon as it enters it just jumps out from the synths.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Comparing Hooray to Cupid actually made me realize what doesn't work for me on this album. Songs like Cupid de Locke, We Only Come Out at Night, even Beautiful kind of, that work as "side" pieces as opposed to "main" tracks, I think they work because of how organic they sound. The harp, the 12-string, the beatboxing, they lend a sort of homespun, comforting quality to MCIS. The tracks that serve that purpose on ATUM have a cold, synthetic, very alienating sound. You can even listen to Adore, their so-called "electronic album", and won't be able to say it doesn't sound organic compared to ATUM or Cyr.

"The Gold Mask" has this little piano doodley-doo and as soon as it enters it just jumps out from the synths.

I feel this exact same way.

They'd never, ever, ever write and produce a song like Luna or Lily anymore. That thing that made the Pumpkins famous, the lullabies to screamathons dynamic, is dead, and they've flatlined in between.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I feel this exact same way.

They'd never, ever, ever write and produce a song like Luna or Lily anymore. That thing that made the Pumpkins famous, the lullabies to screamathons dynamic, is dead, and they've flatlined in between.

Flatlined is a perfect way of describing it imho

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Porcelina, Thru the Eyes of a Ruby.... songs of this calibre are pretty much dead, at least from the Pumpkins.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't think the other 2/3 of ATUM will show that I am.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

oh word?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Porcelina, Thru the Eyes of a Ruby.... songs of this calibre are pretty much dead, at least from the Pumpkins.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't think the other 2/3 of ATUM will show that I am.

I feel that if the second disc is just more gothy new order send ups with no teeth I might be at the point where I stop caring about Corgan projects, and this time I really mean it.

Unless he finally did a proper release of Machina II.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

A proper release of Machina II and all the Zwan stuff would be amazing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the idea is Machina 2 material will be part of the Machina reissue. I don't know much of that will be included (just stuff from the LP? The EPs too?) but if nothing else a child years back when Billy was talking about it he was sharing shots of like the different tracks being mixed for like Dross, and Jimmy was recording a drum part for White Spyder.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Really nice fan art posted on their main FB page:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The only reference I'm not getting is issue number 2.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's a reference to all the albums after machina

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Is it just because it was a double album?

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Beyond the Vale is an alright song. Not a Pumpkins song but I dig it. Cyr didn't have a single song that was at all listenable so it's an improvement!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

B0lly's interview with BEATO is out, gets fairly in-depth for recording and differences in production technique - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAfkxHcqWKI

The vocals for 1979 were done with Billy sitting in front of the mixing board with a Shure SM7 with the monitors blasting, no headphones

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

He's insufferable.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He's insufferable.

rick or billy

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

William. I watch Beato all the time, he's harmless if a bit boring and "old man yells at cloud"-y.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 14, 2022

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He's insufferable.

"My hearing is so incredible it tricks me into singing off key" is the most Billy Corgan statement to ever exist.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not a huge Soundgarden guy, nor am I very far into the video, but did he just knock Kim Thayill's solos?!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He's upset about how Thayil hurt him, he hurt him here, in his heart.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I’m going to watch that entire interview throughout the week because I do not value my time properly. But I’ll watch it while I’m working.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I can just about tolerate Bohlinger but Beato is a bridge too far for me.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

yes

I looked and saw how long the interview was, and neither person is someone I can tolerate listening to for more than 10 minutes*.

*Obviously I can listen to Billy's music for much longer, but listening to him talk is something else. Beato is just a lethal dose of boomer energy at that length of time.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Beato is such a boomer that his kids are named Lennon, Dylan, and Layla

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Happy Hippo posted:

"Can't think of any female musicians at all, guess I'll name my daughter after a song by a racist pedophile"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Kingo Ligma posted:

"Can't think of any female musicians at all, guess I'll name my daughter after a song by a racist pedophile"

Hey, that's not fair.

He's a racist, pedophile, and anti-vaxxer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Happy Hippo posted:

Holy gently caress that is so basic.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Hey, that's not fair.

He's a racist, pedophile, and anti-vaxxer.

Wait, who's this? I'm not arguing your claim, I guess I just don't follow who's into this poo poo.

I assume Clapton from the Layla reference, but I didn't know about the pedophile stuff.

Edit: nm, I just reread and saw that that you wrote 'after a song written by'.

Again, I didn't know about the pedophile stuff.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Wait, who's this? I'm not arguing your claim, I guess I just don't follow who's into this poo poo.

I assume Clapton from the Layla reference, but I didn't know about the pedophile stuff.

Edit: nm, I just reread and saw that that you wrote 'after a song written by'.

Again, I didn't know about the pedophile stuff.

It's always a safe bet that anyone who held a guitar before 1990 did statutory rapes on the daily.

The easy way to remember is "holding a Strat? Done a stat".

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

NBC in Chicago will be broadcasting a New Year's Eve special called A Very Chicago New Year on Saturday night, and Billy Corgan will be performing from Madame Zuzu's as part of the show. It also features Everclear, who I did not know were from Chicago. Not sure if it's going to stream online or just air locally.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

It also features Everclear, who I did not know were from Chicago.

They are not, they are very famously from Portland.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Djarum posted:

They are not, they are very famously from Portland.
Even this is news to me and I had to verify. They were like the most California-rear end band I could imagine growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Even this is news to me and I had to verify. They were like the most California-rear end band I could imagine growing up.

Really? I would've thought that'd be Sugar Ray or RHCP.