Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
I watched DasTactics newer playthrough from this year all the way through but he didn't mention anything about injecting like that in his deep dive on logistics, I wonder if it still applies. I tried building a truck depo 1 above mapimount and I can't tell if it's making a difference - the pick up amounts are only going down. Waiting on a rail station there now.

Edit: Injecting worked in the end. Took a good 4 extra rail stations though.

sloppy portmanteau fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I've been eyeing this game for some time and saw the last update seems to be Q1 2021. I was waiting for the UI to tighten up a bit and maybe smooth over some of the games rougher edges. Is this still in development? I haven't seen any updates in some time and I just finished Saraos very excellent screenshot heavy LP which I appreciated and now I'm all excited.

e: there is some activity on the fourms but I don't see anything about patches and such

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 10, 2021

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Waroduce posted:

I've been eyeing this game for some time and saw the last update seems to be Q1 2021. I was waiting for the UI to tighten up a bit and maybe smooth over some of the games rougher edges. Is this still in development? I haven't seen any updates in some time and I just finished Saraos very excellent screenshot heavy LP which I appreciated and now I'm all excited.

There is a beta build that added a few things that's pretty stable (Fortification, sentient alien minor, and a few fixes). The dev went on summer vacation for awhile but has since returned. There's plan to greatly improve AI processing speed, new UI for model development, and navy with oceanic world mentioned in the latest dev blog. Though the developer also has another Decisive Campaign game that's coming out next month so I imagine he's mostly working on that at the moment.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 10, 2021

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

pedro0930 posted:

There is a beta build that added a few things that's pretty stable (Fortification, sentient alien minor, and a few fixes). The dev went on summer vacation for awhile but has since returned. There's plan to greatly improve AI processing speed, new UI for model development, and navy with oceanic world mentioned in the latest dev blog. Though the developer also has another Decisive Campaign game that's coming out next month so I imagine he's mostly working on that at the moment.

got it! thanks!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Vic (the developer) posted the following a few days ago on the Matrix forums in response to a similar question:

Vic posted:

Yes thats right. With a release deadline for november the 18th for the Ardennes Offensive I am a bit streched at the moment. But no worries, i'll be back to pick up support work Shadow Empire in the coming months and also still contemplating putting the navies and ocean planets in.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm hype for botes to be honest.
Also extremely excited for new and exciting environmental disasters on Ocean worlds.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This is a very stupid question, but I do not see the tab where I can pull up the tech tree. Did I close it somehow or do I have to unlock something before it comes up?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

It's under the MNG tab in the upper left.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hype for boats soon™️.
Honestly I've grown real partial to lava planets.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

boats...?

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Typically they pair real well with hoes.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought the game from sale, and man this logistics stuff is impenetrable. I have my starter city and a conquered city maybe 15 hexes away. Dirt road wasn't very good, my armies nearly died to hunger :D I figured out how to nationalize depots and built a paved road between the city. It is better now I guess. I still have no idea how much "logistics" I need and if I should build some depot or something between the cities too. Rail is so expensive, I just got my first industrial 2 zone finished...

Some guide said to have at least truck 1 depot in every city and truck 2+ in main city with shq.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ihmemies posted:

I bought the game from sale, and man this logistics stuff is impenetrable. I have my starter city and a conquered city maybe 15 hexes away. Dirt road wasn't very good, my armies nearly died to hunger :D I figured out how to nationalize depots and built a paved road between the city. It is better now I guess. I still have no idea how much "logistics" I need and if I should build some depot or something between the cities too. Rail is so expensive, I just got my first industrial 2 zone finished...

Some guide said to have at least truck 1 depot in every city and truck 2+ in main city with shq.
I put it down for a while but yeah you want to have the little depots fairly regularly along. It's like putting water into leaky pipes, you gotta pump a lot in to make sure a fair amount actually gets to the end, at which point you can lose 4:1 battles like you're supposed to.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There’s a map filter that adds supply colors (green good, red bad, etc) that really helps, the toggle is one of the right-side buttons though I don’t remember what it’s called.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well bottlenecks looks like this now:

And logistics:

And the green blips next to units tell logistics are Ok now. I don't understand the numbers but I guess they're good now.

I talked with an AI in a cellar, and the AI got insulted because my advisor was so loving dumb. I think it spawned 10x walkers from offscreen and they are now next to the Cyber walker hex title. I guess I am turbofucked but we'll see. Don't have any AT weapons, just some slugthrowers :D

Like, it's just 10 robots vs thousands of my footmen. Surely the robots will lose, yes

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I have literally seen walkers take on thousands of slugthrower armed mutants and not die. The AI can be surprisingly risk averse, try surrounding it with your troopers. That usually keeps them in place until you can develop some sort of tank or AT gun. At the very least station some folks on your little supply road.

Also I don't see any traffic signs on your logistics map. Those are super handy when you have those little roads to nowhere. One to the North East of Zouvidak blocking movement into that area would add 200 some points to your main route.

A popular trick on the discord is the injection truck station. If you block everything but pull point logistics from going to Zouvidak you can build a truck station inside that dead end. This lets you add logistics points faster and more efficiently than building high level truck stations on both ends of the route. Also the trucks only have to travel half the distance compared to building them at the end points.

Don't forget about the penalties for building further than 6 hexes away from the associated city.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Ihmemies posted:

I talked with an AI in a cellar, and the AI got insulted because my advisor was so loving dumb. I think it spawned 10x walkers from offscreen and they are now next to the Cyber walker hex title. I guess I am turbofucked but we'll see. Don't have any AT weapons, just some slugthrowers :D

If you want a spoiler about the AI:
You absolutely want to groom a high-oratory dude for a governor of that city. The AI will give you tech if you beat the oratory roll. And you can do the event repeatedly. The odds will get worse each time you do, but assuming you get a good leader and use the relevant strategems to boost oratory, you can get like 4-5 techs from the event. And it's possible for them to be really good, later ones.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Yes. That worked first time. I guess I need a better speech guy there, but I'm surrounded by imbeciles.

I managed to research light tanks and put a 60mm howizer in it. Maybe it'll kill the sentient AI robots? I have 1st inf brigade guarding it next to map border, so the walkers aren't going anywhere.

Then I realized I can build them but I can't field them. So I made a staff council which figured out a "OOB Light Armor Army". Can't still field tanks, so I'm missing something else...

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Yes. That worked first time. I guess I need a better speech guy there, but I'm surrounded by imbeciles.

I managed to research light tanks and put a 60mm howizer in it. Maybe it'll kill the sentient AI robots? I have 1st inf brigade guarding it next to map border, so the walkers aren't going anywhere.

Then I realized I can build them but I can't field them. So I made a staff council which figured out a "OOB Light Armor Army". Can't still field tanks, so I'm missing something else...

Fielding a whole brigade of light tanks is probably out of reach early anyways. What you need to do is to create an independent light tank battalion.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, that’s what you’ll do at first. Remember to attach the independent battalion to an infantry brigade so it gets the commander bonuses.

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
You can raise independent units of any model type you have a design of by checking the corresponding checkbox in the Raise Formation screen. Up to 2 of these can be attached to each OHQ, to enable them to benefit from OHQ leader skill bonuses, through the Unit Admin window accessible through a button in the right-side bar.

Your staff council might have only discovered the Light Armor Army OOB, in which case they still need to "operationalize" it, similar to having to research a discovered tech or model type.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

Fielding a whole brigade of light tanks is probably out of reach early anyways. What you need to do is to create an independent light tank battalion.

Right, I can make even smaller amounts of tanks. So I made 50x light tanks, next I'll go see if I can shoot those robots with them :D

Edit: worked perfeclty. 100 light tanks with 60mm howizers and minimal armor shot right through the sentinels. No casualties. Finally I can redeploy that brigade to do something fruitful.

Now I need more fuel. Ruins don't have any details about their resources, but I guess I can plop down some recycling plants on them and get more fuel.

Also need to get some power plants researched. I have 2x 100 power plants from the start, but I'm at 20 decifit finally.

Edit2: finally got solar power unlocked. I put like 90% to discovery and major empire budget to econ council. I'd literally have run out of stored energy next turn. Now I can ramp up the industrial production since I can actually power the factories!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 28, 2021

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.
Shadow Empire: "I'm surrounded by imbeciles"

I have it like this every game.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My tanks feel like WWII era German tanks. They eat so much fuel that I have to use strategic move to haul them around, and use their own propulsion only the absolutely smallest amount possible. Compared to some Galactic Republic leftover Nuclear powered tanks I found... They are extremely OP and apparently don't need to refuel at all.

Edit: now I wish I knew where I get 10k water/turn. It comes from "zones". Well great. I'm not producing it, where it's coming from! I mothballed my ice mining plant but the water keeps on coming...and goddamn is it clogging my logistics.

Edit2: 2 zones are producing insane amounts of water, from somewhere. Logistics stats says each zone offers 5k water and these idiots went to pick up 5k water. Make it zero!!! Somehow!

Edit3: huh those assholes produce water from thin air. PLEASE STOP I'M DROWNING

Edit4: apparently different amounts of water are pulled free from fresh water sources. The amount of water is endless, also they travel in pipes and don't clog the logistics system. So it's clogged from something else!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 28, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I finally hopefully understand what bottlenecks mean. Basically, if not black: GOOD.

So "red" looks bad but it means it had capacity to move the stuff. So no penalty/no problems even on red, if I understood right?

I am hunting some marauders with an oversized force. The marauders were very nice, they conquered lots of space from the enemy without me having to wardec them.

So I've basically unlocked like automatic rifles... then I get a corp research stratagem. And it gives me GAUSS WEAPONS? With my research speed I woudn't have unlocked those in hundreds of years.. :D Time to roll up the enemies I guess. 230 firepower instead of 100? Yes please.

Edit: finally found an oratory guy, and...

talked to the AI in the basement. He gave me micro-nuke RPG's?! Sounds very safe :D

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 29, 2021

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021

Ihmemies posted:

I finally hopefully understand what bottlenecks mean. Basically, if not black: GOOD.

So "red" looks bad but it means it had capacity to move the stuff. So no penalty/no problems even on red, if I understood right?
That's correct. But you generally want to maintain some spare capacity, because the network becoming clogged up can lead to compounding issues.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

You don't say. Everything is smooth until I start up a war. Then everything is clogged up to the max.

Do I need more than 1 railway station?
That should be in SHQ city, yes?
And the station should be as high tier as possible? I apparently should have upgraded the SHQ ralway station a lot earlier.

I assume I need only 1 railroad going wherever (unless the enemy captures it ofc.)
Also I guess I need larger truck stops in front lines...

Also I thought ammo storage was unlimited. I made 40k ammo, and lost half of it due to max storage reached. Oops.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Ikonoklast posted:

Shadow Empire: "I'm surrounded by imbeciles"

I have it like this every game.

There are solutions to this in all the Politics profiles. If you are Democratic, spam the "recruit civilian" card, and then the "cabinet retreat" card. If you are Meritocratic, spam the "recruit talent" card and then the "grand convention" card. If you are Autocratic, assassinate all the imbeciles, you might have to keep doing this for a while.

And seriously, doing this early is legitimately the best way to spend your limited political points. Everything is just so much easier when your average roll bonus is +100 and all your leaders share their ++ profiles.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Ihmemies posted:

You don't say. Everything is smooth until I start up a war. Then everything is clogged up to the max.

Note that one way to manage this is to limit the rate of your troop movement and attacks. Units standing still require a lot less supply than units moving, and units moving require a lot less supply than units attacking. Units hold internal stores of all the things they consume. You can view the status of these by selecting the unit on the second of the "bottom-of-screen" tabs, and then clicking the barrel icon.

If fighting at the limit of your supply network, it can make sense to keep your troops standing still until all your key units have full stocks, then fight a set piece battle (preferably with a flashy encirclement), and then slow down again to fill up.

If at all possible, expanding your supply network makes more sense, though.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

one lesson I’ve learned from every battle I’ve ever seen or read about, fictional or real: never skimp on logistics.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So next time I need to remember to overbuild the SHQ railstation st least. Dunno when to build more.

I won the first game quite easily on beginner. I encountered only 2 major regimes and they didn't try to do anything to me. Well it was nearly a pacifist run since I just took huge amounts of non-aligned hexes, killed a couple of completely pushover Minor regimes, and then expanded my production base way above enemies. I could have probably fought them both at the same time. I didn't need to since the other one was my best friend.

I'll try a siwa planet next on regular. Hopefully the game can offer some challenges combat wise too. So far combat has been too easy.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Do are you using supply depos and truck depo to 'refresh' your logistics points and extend their range and are you building railheads or rail stations to terminate a rail supply line at? If not that's going to be a cause of a lot of your issues.

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021

Tuna-Fish posted:

Units standing still require a lot less supply than units moving, ...
This is not actually the case for logistics points purposes, as units consume the same amount of food either way and fuel (and electricity if you're using that) gets shipped free of logistics points cost (over land routes). But it is true that attacks consume a lot of extra ammunition, which does have a logistics point cost.

EDIT: Clarity.

cranky corvid fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 30, 2021

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Actually it's to do with units restoring readiness, if they don't need to (i.e. are at 100) they consume half supply.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Saros posted:

Do are you using supply depos and truck depo to 'refresh' your logistics points and extend their range and are you building railheads or rail stations to terminate a rail supply line at? If not that's going to be a cause of a lot of your issues.

Yes. Someone somewhere said that build it like this:

[Truck depot]
5-6 hexes free space
[Supply depot]
5-6 hexes free space
[Truck depot]

I guess I also need railheads to as close to attacking armies as possible, and a truck depot to the same hex as railhead? So rail brings in goods, and trucks deliver them to armies?

Should I build a rail station to every city too? My biggest probelm is I don't exactly understand how much rail/truck depots and supply depots and railheads I need and where :D It wasn't too bad really. I guess my problems came mainly from upgrades and reinforcements maybe?

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021

Saros posted:

Actually it's to do with units restoring readiness, if they don't need to (i.e. are at 100) they consume half supply.
I can't reproduce this, my units consume the same amount of food whether they're on full readiness or not.

Ihmemies posted:

Yes. Someone somewhere said that build it like this:

[Truck depot]
5-6 hexes free space
[Supply depot]
5-6 hexes free space
[Truck depot]
Truck stations can already go 10 hexes on dirt roads before they start losing efficiency, so the supply bases aren't doing anything there. With a level 1 supply base inbetween, they can go 15 hexes. Sealed roads increase that by another 20-30%.

quote:

I guess I also need railheads to as close to attacking armies as possible, and a truck depot to the same hex as railhead? So rail brings in goods, and trucks deliver them to armies?
That is logistically ideal, yes.

quote:

Should I build a rail station to every city too?
That is a common newbie mistake, and will result in logistics points being wasted due to the "refocusing" logistics rule, which causes logistics points passing through another logistics station of the same type to gain the new station's AP, but at the cost of reducing the amount of LP in that batch by at least 25% (more depending on much AP had already been expended).

As a result, you should either build high-level logistics stations at around the interval where they start suffering from falloff (which is 25 hexes for level 1 rail stations, roughly +2 hexes per level), or build them on side roads leading into the main logistics route, then use traffic signs to block logistics from being routed to the side roads that are already generating their own logistics to avoid the branching penalties part of the logistics rules. The latter method has the advantage that it lets you build multiple lower-level stations without penalty if you don't have enough city levels to build higher-level ones.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I think I understand logistics now. I watched 2 videos, read the manual, your messages, and now I have no logistics problems in my new game.

Difficulty is now Regular and it feels a lot harder. I started with two major regimes next to me. I got the other guy to be in peace and thought to conquer the other. I amassed a great infantry army and got to work. The enemy had slugthrowers and retreated to the capital. Well at the gates I nearly circled his city - cut off from metal, agriculture and power.

Time to get ready and attack. 14000 men vs his 2000-3000? Wait where did he get combat armor and automatic rifles? Well I'll try anyways!

I wasted some manpower and did nothing at all. Had to stop the attempt on circling his city. He had some GR automatons in a forest nearby and he got his metal mine back, and built Agri on top of the automatons.

The enemy got really experienced, dug in. I learned about stacking bonuses, postures (I think he had a 75% defensive one etc), machineguns etc. It means that with a tiny force you can hold out indefinitely. I spent maybe 40 turns on the war, sitting outside his capital, developing tanks, assault postures, combat armor etc. I crushed 2 rebellions, I guess some idle leaders got bored, citizens hated the war casualties. The whole time the other major regime was at war with the guy too, but he could not do anything either. The nut was mine to crack.

I had no time to expand. Well eventually I out teched the guy and got better odds. After 2-3 mass attacks I finally got 1:1 odds, and into the city. 12000 men vs 700 men.

Now he has no population but his troops are still alive, and the automatons just sit there. Doesn't he run out of ammo and food eventually? Hngh. What a bad war from me. Completely awful and took forever. Maybe I learn to fight at some point. I need to learn to understand all the bonuses etc better.

These guys are so uncool.

Edit: artillerty at least is good at reducing entrenchment, if you have enough of it. Can take it from 150 to 50 for example, then the enemy is properly softened for an assault.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 31, 2021

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
You get bonuses the more directions you attack from, up to +100% attack power bonus if the enemy is totally surrounded (+200% if all attacking troops belong to the same OHQ), so it's well worth encircling a hard-to-crack target before trying to attack it directly if you can.

quote:

Now he has no population but his troops are still alive, and the automatons just sit there. Doesn't he run out of ammo and food eventually?
Without a city with a SHQ to supply them, the troops will slowly starve (or run out of energy, in case of the automatons) but it will take a while. After a few turns, they will start suffering readiness loss which makes them easier to mop up. Most units carry enough ammo with them for 20-30 combat rounds of defensive combat or 10 rounds of offensive.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks. Now they are finally all dead, thank god.

But.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE. THEY ARE MY SUBJECTS. THE SHOULD OBEY AND DO THE WORK I ASSIGNED TO THEM. WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE PROTESTING DESPITE ALL THE POSSIBLE COMFORTS A CIVILIZATION CAN PROVIDE?

They were so docile when civ score was barbaric. They were happy. They were comfortable.

AND WHY ARE THESE ASSHOLES REBELLING ALL THE TIME? I HAVE CRUSHED THREE REBELLIONS AND WILL KEEP ON CRUSHING EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. AND WHY IS THIS rear end in a top hat SO TOXIC WITH ME, please die already. Oh I have an assassinate card, well he is so dead NOW!

I need to remember to assassinate unruly leaders before they think they can lead better than I can. Thanks for the circling tip too. It seems when surrounding the rebels completely, they will just die or surrender, instead of fleeing. Fleeing armies are so frustrating. I wish I had more oil so I could mobilize my armies to be faster.

I even had to build a goddamn 2nd railway to go below the inland sea in west, to be able to supply the city and the tropps in top left. The rebellion of course cut off the northern railway from multiple points.

I probably should just make some assault tanks with howizer weapons and roll over my "best friend" who doesn't want to cooperate at all with me in the north. I should probably try to split his county into two pieces from the middle, and mop up.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

My dogg, thanks for these posts as you learn your way through it - it's gotten me to dive back in myself during the holiday break, and I'm making great headway.