Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Full Stop 2.0:

Did Angela just bleed? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Acerbatus posted:

I see. I kinda skimmed the back half of LC because the gameplay didn't grab me much (I got into it because LoR seemed super cool and man, this game owns) but I'm interested enough now I think I'll go back and try to go over all the stuff I miss.

So it's actually possible Angela didn't gently caress everything up, if only by accident, because giving everyone in The City that kind of power sounds more like a recipe for a slaughter than anything else.

I would be totally unsurprised if A-Corp's singularity turned human misery into Arbiters or something.

Oh okay, I don't think I'm that far, still on Urban Plague. I've just got Pathologic on the brain. :tinfoil:

Oh, it would totally result in a million petty wars. But this is a setting where the Pinkerton's junior agents have enough augmentations to punch through brick walls, and the senior Pinkerton agents have enough augmentations to bench press vans without breaking a sweat. Even A realized he had to give potential revolutionaries something to avoid instantly dying to a grade 3 corporate fixer.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

lol Binah refusing to fight at all when her floor gets unlocked is amazing. She's just The Worst.

also star of the city is some ridiculous power creep

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Varinn posted:

The world being poo poo because of a secret technology making it that way would really gently caress up the world-building, imo. It's good sci-fi because you can see how all of it happens and how nobody can do anything to stop it. Everyone is being exploited by someone above them, and the way they can take the pressure off is by exploiting someone else below them. Push back, you get killed and replaced, the system adapts and survives. It's grim as poo poo, and I really like it. The conversation with Yesod where he and Roland have an argument about people being complacent about how the tech they use is built on human suffering is one of my favorite bits of Ruina so far because it hits home in a very particular way.

The plan was actually made pretty clear in LC. Deep LC spoilers: L Corp's Singularity wasn't extracting energy from Abnormalities, it was producing EGO, by way of them. At some point, you learn that the reason Random Agent #56 can suddenly duel with a sword is because EGO exists inside of all of our collective unconscious, and is a part of us. Carmen's idea was based on her belief that people were so ground down by society, they couldn't actually even allow themselves to dream of a better world. Ayin takes this idea and plans to release The Light for seven days, which would impart the ability to everyone to manifest their emotions and desires into EGO. A great equalizing effect of making us all demiurges or something. Is this what Carmen would've done? We have no idea. Probably not, because that sort of 'I'll just give everyone godlike powers and then immediately die' sounds like exactly the sort of plan a self-destructive recluse would come up with, but the ideals behind it are solid. Instead, everyone got halfway lit and, importantly, nobody was there to tell them what the gently caress just happened. Ruina gets into what that means for people.

The end of LC kicks rear end, and I just hit Star of the City in Ruina and I'm liking it just as much, if not more.

I do feel sorry for X, who is basically a person with A's memories lodged into him rather than A himself. He managed to beat the other whackjob A personas and then he got dissolved into light without any say in the matter, rip justice for clerks

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
X is still pretty unquestionably an rear end in a top hat on some level, no matter how you slice it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Knight of Despair is super stupid. Better hope you roll better!

You can Feeble I guess but that barely helps.

Yinlock posted:

I do feel sorry for X, who is basically a person with A's memories lodged into him rather than A himself. He managed to beat the other whackjob A personas and then he got dissolved into light without any say in the matter, rip justice for clerks

I thought X was a clone of Ayin or something?

TeeQueue posted:

X is still pretty unquestionably an rear end in a top hat on some level, no matter how you slice it.

If my understanding is correct and he's just some helpless sap, not really?

Yinlock posted:

lol Binah refusing to fight at all when her floor gets unlocked is amazing. She's just The Worst.

also star of the city is some ridiculous power creep

There's tea to drink.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
X is Ayin, erasing his memory and going through all of this in order to attain enlightenment.

He is very, very bad at it, which is why it takes him about 10,000 years to actually do it right.

Every X has always been Ayin erasing his memories and starting over until he completes the script he wrote-Binah actually calls him out on erasing his memories and forgetting problems being his go-to move one point in her story.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will be terribly let down if he's the heart of the library itself and we don't get to punch him in the face.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

X is Ayin, erasing his memory and going through all of this in order to attain enlightenment.

He is very, very bad at it, which is why it takes him about 10,000 years to actually do it right.

Every X has always been Ayin erasing his memories and starting over until he completes the script he wrote-Binah actually calls him out on erasing his memories and forgetting problems being his go-to move one point in her story.

I'm aware, but the fact that the different ayins that made it to the end all went in wildly different directions means that they are, fundamentally, different people even if it's the same body

Angela even says something to that extent, that X is more like someone with A's memories than A himself.

e: of course being the player we really don't know X's motives or personality beyond "not being a total rear end in a top hat", he might've been all for how things turned out who knows

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 9, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

That's... Complicated, and based on what Keter is. To copy something from a website from someone who presumably knows more than me about this stuff:

some kaballah site posted:

For instance, a person plans to build a house. The building of the house starts with the mental image of a house, and progresses to its final realization. But the real root of the "idea" is the will and desire to be comfortable or to show off or whatever possible motivation. That will or desire is parallel to the keter sefirah.

It's the will that they're trying to enact, basically. Since the tree is in reverse and the suppressions are based on the manifestation of qlipa, that means the suppressions for days 46-50 are based on the qlipa of that sephirot. That would mean it's dealing with Thaumiel- which Wiki describes as... "While Keter is concerned with the unity of God, Thaumiel represents the dual contending forces, struggling, and it is represented by two giant heads with bat-like wings."

So basically the endgame is all the different conflicting parts of Ayin's will struggling with each other in order to decide what to do with the light they've gathered-arguably inside his head or being manifested due to the completeness of the light or by making copies with records and making them nap, etc etc etc. He's basically facing his persona-type shadows and beating it in a management contest to move on.

How it works exactly is questionable, but that's sort of what's going on meaning that X, who has these thoughts somewhere within him, is on some level an rear end in a top hat.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

That's... Complicated, and based on what Keter is. To copy something from a website from someone who presumably knows more than me about this stuff:

It's the will that they're trying to enact, basically. Since the tree is in reverse and the suppressions are based on the manifestation of qlipa, that means the suppressions for days 46-50 are based on the qlipa of that sephirot. That would mean it's dealing with Thaumiel- which Wiki describes as... "While Keter is concerned with the unity of God, Thaumiel represents the dual contending forces, struggling, and it is represented by two giant heads with bat-like wings."

So basically the endgame is all the different conflicting parts of Ayin's will struggling with each other in order to decide what to do with the light they've gathered-arguably inside his head or being manifested due to the completeness of the light or by making copies with records and making them nap, etc etc etc. He's basically facing his persona-type shadows and beating it in a management contest to move on.

How it works exactly is questionable, but that's sort of what's going on meaning that X, who has these thoughts somewhere within him, is on some level an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah I'm not denying that X is kind of a dick, just saying that he isn't a dick on the level of original Ayin

which was the point of all that endless amnesia time loop business, just rolling the dice until we get one that both isn't a total monster and is weirdly good at managing monsters

Didn't know that about Keter though, I'm sure this bodes extremely well for Roland

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 9, 2021

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

Thinking further along those lines, that makes the Seed itself a massive expression of EGO, probably not just A/X’s expression but all of Lob Corp. L Corp central essentially gets turned into an Abnormality and then all that energy goes into distributing EGO to everyone, in a fashion that empowers them to express their own EGO without turning into Abnormalities in the process.

That even explains why the “self-destruct” is more noble than causing the end of the world and then killing yourself so you don’t have to be a part of it. The Abnormality itself is a potential threat and needs to be neutralized.

I’m not too far along in LoR, but I am assuming that going after people who got Seed-gifted via consent is actually making use of their own ability to express EGO to turn them into books, which would also account for the effects of the Emotion meter.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel bad for the WARP cleanup crew. Angela nad Roland are like "whatever tthey work for bad guys and don't care" but I mean, what're they gonna do about it? Quit?

Has anyone had a glitch where they can't preview the combat pages of enemies in the reception menu? It's really annoying to have zero clue what they do until a fight starts.

e: How the hell do I deal with the queen bee

where do I even start

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 10, 2021

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

bug showed up in the latest patch for everyone.

queen bee play defensive with the workers but don't burn all your strong cards because on her boost loyalty turn her stagger resistances all change to fatal

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Man, I want to get in to Library of Ruina but I feel like I have to beat Lobotomy Corp first at least once before I do that. I'm starting to get some ALEPH ranked anomalies that I really, really can't handle if they escape. Hell, Little Red escaping on its own is enough to make me reset the day and it's only a WAW. Two brand new anomalies are just outright killing any employee that dares to work with them and Queen Bee can also get completely out of control if I'm not on the ball with a Red Bullet when work finishes with her.

I may need to call my first run at day 25 and restart from Day 1 but sooooo much progress. Ugh.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Which ones? Maybe we can give you some hints.

I had to deal with Red for Hod's suppression, because she was the third abnormality I put in Training. I had to wait until I got shiled bullets to do Hod's suppression mission.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cloacamazing! posted:

Which ones? Maybe we can give you some hints.

I had to deal with Red for Hod's suppression, because she was the third abnormality I put in Training. I had to wait until I got shiled bullets to do Hod's suppression mission.

The two Aleph anomalies I have a hold of are T-01-75 and T-01-31. T-01-31 is the one that I simply cannot work with. I don't think I have a good enough E.G.O Suit for white damage. I've also taken a sneak peek at its abilities and.... I don't think any of my staff can survive with a Normal result.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Earlygame -31 is absolutely a leading cause of either memory repositories or Day 1 resets.

The only other solutions are kind of convoluted and either rely on having other abnormalities or trying to time failing so that you lose on a normal result and can rescue the agent from panic via dogpiling them with White weapons.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
You said you had Red, her suit has 0.6 White resitance and is WAW-level. That should still be enough to survive an average result for a rank V Prudence agent. And recovering from panic is possible.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Intoluene posted:

Man, I want to get in to Library of Ruina but I feel like I have to beat Lobotomy Corp first at least once before I do that. I'm starting to get some ALEPH ranked anomalies that I really, really can't handle if they escape. Hell, Little Red escaping on its own is enough to make me reset the day and it's only a WAW. Two brand new anomalies are just outright killing any employee that dares to work with them and Queen Bee can also get completely out of control if I'm not on the ball with a Red Bullet when work finishes with her.

I may need to call my first run at day 25 and restart from Day 1 but sooooo much progress. Ugh.

it's not ~optimal~ but Queen Bee responds really well to Insight if you need to work her without having your entire department become bees. And even though it's a pain in the rear end make sure to go into overtime to train up any new employees(though the game of course never tells you to do this)

every ALEPH is an all-or-nothing proposition, either you can handle it easily or it eats your entire facility. In 31's case it's "do you have a bunch of high prudence folks with pale/black damage weapons"

e: also yeah Red's suit is really good, that should help you get a foot in the door but 31 is absolutely going to escape very often

if you can get it's suit and ego gift you can do some hilarious things though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 10, 2021

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If I pick up -31, I tend to put it in Central so it'd be super easy to deathball up all my middle-layer agents to melt it down fast when I see it's about to escape.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Basically every attempt at suppressing queen bee:

e: Got it.

Last episode? Surely this will be a nice little conversation?

ee: I'm not sure if I'm more impressed by yujin hitting yesod for a casual 52 damage or him surviving it twice.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 11, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

If I pick up -31, I tend to put it in Central so it'd be super easy to deathball up all my middle-layer agents to melt it down fast when I see it's about to escape.

I had it in Extraction, i kept all my Bird Gear in there and Disciplinary anyway, and 2 justitas + twilight will kill it's first form before it even has a chance to get the ball rolling

if you don't have the gear bonus unlocked just throw in a couple black weapons for round 2 and you're set

the one problem with putting it in Central is that clearing out central is a pain in the rear end so some clerks are probably gonna die, which will piss off 2 different alephs something fierce if they're around

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doing the final Malkuth abnormality

OH gently caress poo poo drat HECK
:supaburn:

The boss theme kicks rear end though.

I haven't been this engaged in a game in some time.

Ayin is an interesting character. (Do we spoiler LC stuff here??)

Like, he seemed to be doing things because he liked either Carmen or her ideas... But he did turn her into Angela... And then he's upset that Angela isn't Carmen???

I don't entirely get how all the Cogito and Enkaphalin stuff worked. The specifics of that were kinda lost on me.

Anyways.

While the Sephireh up to now seem to pretty much be unanimous that the Tree of Light thing was a good idea, I definitely would not trust Ayin to determine something like how everyone thinks or the like. Angela may have just stopped it all because she was angry he just going to shut her off with no emotional catharsis (Also uhh, how exactly do the meltdowns work? I don't get what she meant by that :v: ; Was the idea like, the script had them confront their inner demons and would feel better after...?) but it might've been for the best, I dunno.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 11, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

At least part of the issue is Carmen died on her own, Ayin (her second in command and primary supporter) used her body and brain as the template for Angela but was frustrated that Angela was not the Carmen he remembered. I also think unlike the Sephirot, who at least have some of the memories of their template human/brain, Angel’s has none of Carmen’s memories she is a true AI and a wholly unique existence, not a continuation of someone else.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Lord_Magmar posted:

At least part of the issue is Carmen died on her own, Ayin (her second in command and primary supporter) used her body and brain as the template for Angela but was frustrated that Angela was not the Carmen he remembered. I also think unlike the Sephirot, who at least have some of the memories of their template human/brain, Angel’s has none of Carmen’s memories she is a true AI and a wholly unique existence, not a continuation of someone else.

Angela absolutely has Carmen's memories but she also has about a million years of neglect and trauma so she is quite different by the time of the games. Carmen could not be turned into a boxbot because her brain and nervous system were used as the core of LobCorp's singularity so Angela was made using a digital map of her brain, but A hated machines and refused to treat her as anything else. There's a bit more to it but I'll let LoR show you the rest of Angela's experiences with him.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I feel it is worth mentioning that I could literally title the LP thread Everything is A's Fault, Actually: Let's Play Library of Ruina and this would be at most a slight exaggeration.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

I feel it is worth mentioning that I could literally title the LP thread Everything is A's Fault, Actually: Let's Play Library of Ruina and this would be at most a slight exaggeration.

In Ayin's defense(?) he fully admits that he was the most perfectly wrong person for the job, but welp

Acerbatus posted:

Doing the final Malkuth abnormality

One thing I like is how almost every abnormality seems to be metaphorically or literally connected to Angela/Carmen, Ayin, or the Sephirot in some way, which makes sense considering how they were pulling them out

except open can of wellcheers, maybe carmen just had a killer brewski one time

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 11, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

speaking of abnormalities the burrowing heaven rudely made me actually learn how to use block dice effectively, this is an affront to all I stand for

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
weird library of ruina question (spoiler for lobotomy corp, not so much for ruina): is it a given that one of the assistant librarians that you'll get on hod's floor is named tiffany, or was it just a bizarre coincidence that i got a tiffany there?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Obnoxipus posted:

weird library of ruina question (spoiler for lobotomy corp, not so much for ruina): is it a given that one of the assistant librarians that you'll get on hod's floor is named tiffany, or was it just a bizarre coincidence that i got a tiffany there?

Coincidence.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe
So, turns out the solution to my 31 problem was to simply ignore him for now until I get some more WAW and ALEPH grade equipment. Simply not sending anyone in there without a Qliphoth meltdown timer worked a treat.

rye on white
May 5, 2013
lobotomy corp lategame question i'm coming up on the last round of core suppressions, would it be a better call to take fragment to be safe, or mountain for the gear, do you guys think?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

rye on white posted:

lobotomy corp lategame question i'm coming up on the last round of core suppressions, would it be a better call to take fragment to be safe, or mountain for the gear, do you guys think?

mountain's gear is INCREDIBLY useful for the endgame and is always worth a pick, but you have to be aware that mountain itself is somewhat voliatile re: employee deaths. it's easy to suppress as long as you're ready when it breaches though.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 12, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In LoR is there:

Any way to sort Key Pages other than by grade

Any way to just mass unequip stuff?

I am deeply afraid the final boss will need 50 librarians.

e: Did anyone else's empty bookshelf button stop working?

Do people try to keep every floor equipped or just a few at a time?

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 12, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

In LoR is there:

Any way to sort Key Pages other than by grade

Any way to just mass unequip stuff?

I am deeply afraid the final boss will need 50 librarians.

e: Did anyone else's empty bookshelf button stop working?

Do people try to keep every floor equipped or just a few at a time?

- no
- empty bookshelf is about it
- it probably will
-are you mid-mission? that's about the only time it hasn't worked for me
-having more than 2 floors battle-ready is really difficult until star of the city rank(of course that rank also loves putting you in hellish endurance tests with few available floors so welp), don't forget you can transfer the extra speed dice from unique pages you're not using anymore

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 12, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Just spent two days mainlining LoboCorp and I'm up to page 32 of the thread and I think LC itself has defeated me (FOR NOW) so I finally opened up Ruina and ---- right, full of kind of barely translated mechanics that I'm still trying to decipher. The OP of this thread has helped! And I'm still reading through the LC LP furiously and loving every update!

Some vague general questions:

- Library of Ruina, how complete/far along is the game now? I understand it has a weekly update schedule and is pretty much A+ to play now (or will be once I wrap my head around it)
- Is there anything like LoboCorp out there? SCP management - not necessarily a game, but a book or TV show like it. I know there's SCP Foundation itself, or Warehouse 13, but I crave more. I adored Control!

As for LC spoiling Ruina: I don't mind. It's fascinating approaching LC's ending from both ends at once - before by reading the LP and after by playing Ruina.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just spent two days mainlining LoboCorp and I'm up to page 32 of the thread and I think LC itself has defeated me (FOR NOW) so I finally opened up Ruina and ---- right, full of kind of barely translated mechanics that I'm still trying to decipher. The OP of this thread has helped! And I'm still reading through the LC LP furiously and loving every update!

Some vague general questions:

- Library of Ruina, how complete/far along is the game now? I understand it has a weekly update schedule and is pretty much A+ to play now (or will be once I wrap my head around it)
- Is there anything like LoboCorp out there? SCP management - not necessarily a game, but a book or TV show like it. I know there's SCP Foundation itself, or Warehouse 13, but I crave more. I adored Control!

As for LC spoiling Ruina: I don't mind. It's fascinating approaching LC's ending from both ends at once - before by reading the LP and after by playing Ruina.

I feel like SCP is still slowly making its way into the wider pop cultural consciousness so you've basically hit all the big ones already. Something that you might find interesting is an old TV miniseries called "The Lost Room" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Room. It's not about "containment" but the plot revolves around a bunch of mundane objects that have acquired weird supernatural properties (like a comb that freezes time for a short period when you run it through your hair) and a bunch of people that are trying to track them all down.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

And I just hit the day in the LC LP that reveals that the plot hasn't even begun to get started! :catstare: Well okay, this owns.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like SCP is still slowly making its way into the wider pop cultural consciousness so you've basically hit all the big ones already. Something that you might find interesting is an old TV miniseries called "The Lost Room" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Room. It's not about "containment" but the plot revolves around a bunch of mundane objects that have acquired weird supernatural properties (like a comb that freezes time for a short period when you run it through your hair) and a bunch of people that are trying to track them all down.

Oh my goodness I remember seeing that YEARS ago. Woah. Thank you for reminding me it exists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They did a Q&A on Twitter the other day and in it said they still plan to release the game from early access in April. We're clearly approaching the end of the story now, at library level 54 out of (recently increased) 70, but there's no telling what their plans for the end game are. IIRC that level goes up from unlocking floors and completing abnormality battles so we'll be at 60 once we finish all the floors we have. 🤔 I think the voice acting runs out about a chapter back from where we currently are, they only get to record every once in a while.

I believe they still plan to add more optional battles and gifts, both of which cut off pretty early. Not really expecting huge changes to the gameplay at this point but there's still a lot that could and hopefully will be done with the UI. There's bugs and balance to work on, and maybe they'll finally give everyone after the 2nd or 3rd chapter idle animations.