Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

uggy posted:

Source?

My own farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It annoys me so much that Cedric's job is literally to do audio content and he has the most dogshit mic with no balancing at all. If I was paying him for content I would either have given him a new mic or told him to get one at this point.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Even Kenji Egashira said the same thing I did about Epiphany and Time Walk effects being the most boring, unfun cards in a recent youtube video, where he's playing different Worlds decks.

Epiphany's gonna eat a ban real soon.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

My idea to fix the extra turn issue is to make it so you only get 1 extra turn per normal turn. So if you copied epiphany, you get extra birds but the turns wouldn't stack.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just stop printing them into standard and just make more and more elaborate Explore effects, imo.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think the issue is that the rules currently don’t differentiate between regular and extra turns. They could be rewritten, but it’d take more than just hand waving the problem away.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

whydirt posted:

I think the issue is that the rules currently don’t differentiate between regular and extra turns. They could be rewritten, but it’d take more than just hand waving the problem away.

They can! I'm not up on standard, but given that extra turn cards have been around forever and only timewalk was any good, I'm inclined to believe the issue is with the formats that support these decks, rather than extra turns as a mechanic, unless they never intend to shift the format as needed to prevent this.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I think if you went back to 2010 with modern MTG knowledge you'd end up with a very different metagame and a lot more time warps.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

HootTheOwl posted:

Just stop printing them into standard and just make more and more elaborate Explore effects, imo.

They banned the last two of those too lmao

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ban islands

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Klowner posted:

Ban islands

Global warming will take care of this

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Every extra turn should be in the style of timestream navigator, so that the opponent has the time and ability to answer it no matter their colors or at least brace for it, knowing what's coming. It doesn't have to be quite as weak as navigator but there need to be more answers and more conditions.

Like, an enchantment or artifact that has a smaller cost to sac for an extra turn but only if the opponent's deck has less than 20 cards, as a payoff for mill. Or only if you've cast 10 instants while it was in play. Or only if you have 12 cards in hand, or you control 10 artifacts. The point is, extra turns generally shouldn't just be something you play from hand and only an opposing blue player can do anything about it, for the same reason that they don't let planeswalker ultimates be played from hand. They'd be better as a lurking threat/reward that changes the texture of the game.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Global warming will take care of this

No, global warming will just turn mountains into islands.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

Every extra turn should be in the style of timestream navigator, so that the opponent has the time and ability to answer it no matter their colors or at least brace for it, knowing what's coming. It doesn't have to be quite as weak as navigator but there need to be more answers and more conditions.

Like, an enchantment or artifact that has a smaller cost to sac for an extra turn but only if the opponent's deck has less than 20 cards, as a payoff for mill. Or only if you've cast 10 instants while it was in play. Or only if you have 12 cards in hand, or you control 10 artifacts. The point is, extra turns generally shouldn't just be something you play from hand and only an opposing blue player can do anything about it, for the same reason that they don't let planeswalker ultimates be played from hand. They'd be better as a lurking threat/reward that changes the texture of the game.

Honestly I’d rather they just not print them than print them but make them completely unplayable. Standard can exist without Time Walk effects and eternal formats have enough to pick from.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Vanilla Time Walks are bad when you’re behind because they don’t do anything for your board. Ones that give you creatures are dangerous because they let you leverage the extra turn more efficiently.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Compromise: Allow time walk effects but every time you play one you have to play the entire time warp song from Rocky horror and do all the dance moves perfectly or else it gets countered and exiled.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

Honestly I’d rather they just not print them than print them but make them completely unplayable. Standard can exist without Time Walk effects and eternal formats have enough to pick from.

Iirc the 5 mana time walk didnt gently caress things up so why not just print that one instead? Alrunds giving you creatures seems like the actual problem with the card since it gets real hosed when copied or even just done in multiples

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Compromise: Allow time walk effects but every time you play one you have to play the entire time warp song from Rocky horror and do all the dance moves perfectly or else it gets countered and exiled.

:hmmyes:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Doesn't seem like enough of a downside. I mean, it's just a jump to the left, and a step to the right.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Time Warp was never a problem, so clearly the problem with this card isn't that it's a more expensive time warp, it's that it does other things too.

Stop blaming basic-rear end mechanics that have been around for the entire life of this game for problems caused by other poo poo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Doesn't seem like enough of a downside. I mean, it's just a jump to the left, and a step to the right.

It’s the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Shortest Path posted:

Time Warp was never a problem, so clearly the problem with this card isn't that it's a more expensive time warp, it's that it does other things too.

Stop blaming basic-rear end mechanics that have been around for the entire life of this game for problems caused by other poo poo.

Having your turn skipped isn’t fun

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Having your turn skipped isn’t fun

Neither is losing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Neither is losing.

Agreed, they should also ban me losing.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Time Warp has been banned again in a format this year because of how disruptive it was.

The issue, as others have pointed out, is that the value one can get from a turn has increased significantly, and extra turns may not be a fun mechanic without dropping the power level of Standard significantly, which would take years at this point.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

You might be right, but like someone earlier in the thread said (TCID?) there’s a good chance that if modern (not the format, but like, how Magic is developed and played now versus ten years ago) MTG play went back in time, Time Warp would have needed a ban.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Me once me losing is banned

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Admittedly epiphany wouldn’t be as big of a problem if it a) didn’t create creatures and b) didn’t let you tuck it safely away in exile so it can’t be hit with duress or spellbinder type cards

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I wonder if they just straight up swapped Warp for Epiphany if the UR turns decks would be better or worse. TW, Lier, flashback TW sounds nightmarish. Not exiling on resolution and being cheaper might be better in aggregate than getting the birds.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Time walks aren’t that good in general. Alrund’s is only powerful because of Galvanic Iteration and because it makes it’s own threats. Galvanic sets up a turn 8 of GI + Alrund’s that allows for no counter play because, unlike a normal Fork, countering the Alrund’s still lets the copy resolve. Then you just flash back GI and do it all again the next turn since you’ve probably hit a second Alrund’s with all the draw leading up to T8. Plus Izzet has Expressive Iteration and Memory Deluge to ensure you never miss a land drop.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 10, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Izzet players after Epiphany is banned

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

fadam posted:

You might be right, but like someone earlier in the thread said (TCID?) there’s a good chance that if modern (not the format, but like, how Magic is developed and played now versus ten years ago) MTG play went back in time, Time Warp would have needed a ban.

I don't know that's true, but I do think it would've seen a lot more play than it did. It was really a different time. Fetches + Ponder + Jace TMS + Time Warp were all legal but not played together except by LSV.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Time Warp by itself kinda sucks unless you can really get on top of the extra turn. Otherwise it's explore at 5.

Nexus was instant and at the same time as hero of Dominaria and wilderness reclamation. Alrund's didn't see action before MID, so a combination of Smoldering Dragon and Galvanic Iteration pushed it over the top.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Still angry that the thread title isn't "Don't proxen that moxen"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Alrund's didn't see action before MID
lmao

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Time Warp by itself kinda sucks unless you can really get on top of the extra turn. Otherwise it's explore at 5.

At absolute minimum it's an explore that untaps your mana for 5. With a reasonable game plan it's often going to generate a bunch of mana, provide an extra attack step, and/or give a bunch of once a turn value on top of that.

Alrund's didn't see action before MID

Um. It did, though. Quite a lot, in often the best deck in the format.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

At absolute minimum it's an explore that untaps your mana for 5. With a reasonable game plan it's often going to generate a bunch of mana, provide an extra attack step, and/or give a bunch of once a turn value on top of that.

Sounds like it's time to do a 2021 worldwake standard tournament.

I'm not kidding, let's do it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Odd, search I did didn't have anything before MID.

Did someone erase it from the archive memory, or was it just a really bad search? I will go with the pointless conspiracy option because it's wackier.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Simone Magus posted:

do players even want new mechanics all the time? Learn/Lesson was great, Dungeons were cool, but Day/Night doesn't seem to have been tested very well and it often seems to amount to essentially "at various times throughout the match, Do A Thing" which is definitely not bad but feels... blah to play

Day/Night actually will be sticking around in Crimson Vow, so there's a returning one for you. I agree that I miss that aspect of block releases, for all their other issues, and wouldn't mind them giving some new mechanics more room to breathe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goferchan posted:

Day/Night actually will be sticking around in Crimson Vow,

yyyyikes