Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

KillHour posted:

I think you'll find that after the dust settles, that kindergarten will be clearly inside Russia's borders, giving them a retroactive casus belli :colbert:

I laughed but I am willing to bet that in 5 years there will be people claiming pretty much that, but unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Grouchio posted:

My only wonder is if Putin has enough discipline in his army that he won't let their anger spiral out of control and accidentally engage with NATO.

The closest NATO presence is in Poland.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Ukrainians will be marching through red square in a month!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Putin knows he can just roll in and take Ukraine and except for the token opposition Ukraine can put up nobody else is going to do anything substantial enough to tax Putin/Russia more so than they already are doing.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's already thousands of Ukrainians killed by Russia being buttheads so gently caress off with "token resistance".

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

quote:

The mention in this context of Russian obligations under the 1994 Budapest Memorandum has nothing to do with the intra-Ukrainian conflict and does not apply to circumstances resulting from the action of internal factors there. The loss of territorial integrity by the Ukrainian state is the result of the processes that have taken place within it.

How is Russia responsible for a 7-year civil war between Ukrainians? Not even Russia believes this but they will continue to use it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

How is Russia responsible for a 7-year civil war between Ukrainians? Not even Russia believes this but they will continue to use it.

Because the Ukrainian military was actually on the edge of crushing the insurgents until the Russian military and mercenaries intervened.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

No Russians are fighting in Ukraine though. All lies from the west.

But yeah, there has been a consistent pattern of whenever Ukraine has successfully routed separatists out, the Russians have come in pretending to be more Ukrainian separatists and push Ukraine back.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

No Russians are fighting in Ukraine though. All lies from the west.

But yeah, there has been a consistent pattern of whenever Ukraine has successfully routed separatists out, the Russians have come in pretending to be more Ukrainian separatists and push Ukraine back.

Or if Ukrainians use their air forces then Russians borrow the rebels a BUK unit.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think Donbas is the "intra-Ukrainian conflict" and Crimea invasion is the "circumstances resulting from the action of internal factors there".

I find it funny that they even mention the Budapest memorandum when their only excuse for violating is literally "we thought it was a good idea to violate it" :thunk:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Because the Ukrainian military was actually on the edge of crushing the insurgents until the Russian military and mercenaries intervened.

Wait is it good for military might to crush the self-determination of internal minorities

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Wait is it good for military might to crush the self-determination of internal minorities

....I cannot wait until this turns into a "Well you see 1/6 wasn't bad and neither was Secession because self-determination"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1494311748257652742?s=20&t=NJLBKvgbIWOENPADjdJEug

Again with the "US Needs to leave Eastern AND Central Europe" which is a non starter.

Yeah, that's the throwaway "maximalist" condition that no one actually expects will happen. They want Minsk II, and they may get it.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Majorian posted:

Yeah, that's the throwaway "maximalist" condition that no one actually expects will happen. They want Minsk II, and they may get it.

Minsk III. The separatists/Russians broke the terms of Minsk I and that led to Minsk II. If it gets renegotiated, this will be Minsk III

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

....I cannot wait until this turns into a "Well you see 1/6 wasn't bad and neither was Secession because self-determination"

Isn't deligitimizing the concept of secession Putin's argument for why Ukraine is part of Russia

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Isn't deligitimizing the concept of secession Putin's argument for why Ukraine is part of Russia

No, delegitimizing the entire idea of Ukraine being a country is his argument. Since like, 2008.

Not to mention: We were going to talk about oppression: Do you really want to use Putin as an example of an upstanding person to lead an intervention? The guy who has a history of murdering his opponents and jailing naysayers?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 17, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

It's good for the military to crush foreign militias engaging in murders and torture.

Do you know what "Isolyatsya" is? If not, may be shut up about stuff you're ignorant off, less you swallow Putin's jackboots you are busy licking.

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1493672265942241280

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Epicurius posted:

Minsk III. The separatists/Russians broke the terms of Minsk I and that led to Minsk II. If it gets renegotiated, this will be Minsk III

If it gets renegotiated, yes. My point is that Russia wants what was agreed upon in Minsk II to be ratified and enforced, putting the onus on Ukraine.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

No, delegitimizing the entire idea of Ukraine being a country is his argument. Since like, 2008.

Do you agree with that argument, if secession is illegitimate then how can Ukraine be a country

The talk about secession and self-determination seems weirdly selective and cynical. Secession from a country we want to see dismembered is fine, otherwise not?

It seems to me that if people don't want to be ruled by Moscow, it is wrong to use the military to force them to be. But it also seems to me that if people don't want to be ruled by Kiev forcing them is wrong too.

OddObserver posted:

It's good for the military to crush foreign militias engaging in murders and torture.

Well I think we agree on this

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Intel_sky/status/1494372667549487108?s=20&t=cF-9BgKkE63IYeEmBS6tIw

What’s really interesting is the winter “camo” on one of the trucks.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

There's already thousands of Ukrainians killed by Russia being buttheads so gently caress off with "token resistance".

Brave Ukranian militiaman fleeing surprise bombardment: "I did nazi that coming!!!!!!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Regarde Aduck posted:

Brave Ukranian militiaman fleeing surprise bombardment: "I did nazi that coming!!!!!!"

you're really dedicated to just making the worst possible posts, aren't you

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Regarde Aduck posted:

It would be appreciated if you would expand on what you meant here:

Regarde Aduck posted:

no one is falling for NATO's dumb false flag

as several posters asked for you to support or explain this.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Nice thing to say the morning when Russian bombardment injured a kindergarden teacher.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't know why anybody is still entertaining somebody who has never posted a single post that wasn't a combination of bad faith / trolling rants in service of a fascist, and outright racism.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

I don't know why anybody is still entertaining somebody who has never posted a single post that wasn't a combination of bad faith / trolling rants and outright racism.

I don't know why anyone would ask them to post more.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/felix_light/status/1494363262145683457

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

steinrokkan posted:

I don't know why anybody is still entertaining somebody who has never posted a single post that wasn't a combination of bad faith / trolling rants in service of a fascist, and outright racism.

Alchenar posted:

I don't know why anyone would ask them to post more.
If you have concerns with D&D moderation, please PM mods or Koos and if that does not resolve, take it to QCS. The posts in question are not being ignored.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

The posts in question are not being ignored.

And in fact, if it continues, he will be threadbanned.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

DandyLion posted:

Putin knows he can just roll in and take Ukraine and except for the token opposition Ukraine can put up nobody else is going to do anything substantial enough to tax Putin/Russia more so than they already are doing.

Honeztly not sure where that comes from. Modern russia never done anything on that scale before and Ukraine has 250k army with combat experience.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Xarn posted:

I laughed but I am willing to bet that in 5 years there will be people claiming pretty much that, but unironically.

I mean, I heard people on another forum claiming that Georgia was genociding the Ossetians when Russia heroically just happened to be there to stop them with a full army after the Ossetians attacked Georgia. Clearly, Russia was wise and knew the Georgians were up to their usual genocidal ways, and not that the Ossetian attacks (which was just a false flag 'border incident' and nothing Georgia should have attacked over) were done with the intention of provoking Georgia into putting a stop to them. So...

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Majorian posted:

If it gets renegotiated, yes. My point is that Russia wants what was agreed upon in Minsk II to be ratified and enforced, putting the onus on Ukraine.

Except Ukraine is and has substantially been in compliance with Minsk II, and Russia hasn't. Russia wants to reinterpret Minsk II to include the LPR and DPR, who aren't currently recognized as legitimate by Minsk II (and who, in reality, are controlled by Russia).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Epicurius posted:

Except Ukraine is and has substantially been in compliance with Minsk II, and Russia hasn't. Russia wants to reinterpret Minsk II to include the LPR and DPR, who aren't currently recognized as legitimate by Minsk II (and who, in reality, are controlled by Russia).

Russia is arguing that the already-existing language of Minsk II grants the LPR and DPR special status, including autonomous police forces ("people's militia") and judicial systems, among other things. I'm not saying that's the correct interpretation, but it's their position. That's what they're trying to wring out of Ukraine through this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Majorian posted:

Russia is arguing that the already-existing language of Minsk II grants the LPR and DPR special status, including autonomous police forces ("people's militia") and judicial systems, among other things. I'm not saying that's the correct interpretation, but it's their position. That's what they're trying to wring out of Ukraine through this.

Russia is also hoping to destabilize the Ukrainian Economy enough where the EU won't even bother considering them for membership within the 2024-2025 timeperiod that Ukraine was hoping for, whereas Russia's more awful economy will look more viable. Short of invading, that's also a major Russian goal.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Russia is also hoping to destabilize the Ukrainian Economy enough where the EU won't even bother considering them for membership within the 2024-2025 timeperiod that Ukraine was hoping for, whereas Russia's more awful economy will look more viable. Short of invading, that's also a major Russian goal.

Yeah, that's definitely one of the broader goals. It won't matter how much Ukraine will resent Russia for pulling these stunts; they'll have to do business with Moscow to survive.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Sekenr posted:

Honeztly not sure where that comes from. Modern russia never done anything on that scale before and Ukraine has 250k army with combat experience.

Russia has a huge air force and Ukraine has little capacity to do more than harass it after about a day of SEAD work.

The largest question about this whole thing is "just how good is the VVS at CAS"? If they are even halfway competent, this will go very bad very quickly for the Ukrainians. On one hand, they really haven't done particularly well in Syria. On the other, it didn't really look like they were trying that hard.

The one kind of military aid that would absolutely flip the strategic calculus is substantial quantity of effective AA. The sad part is that that's the one thing that the west doesn't really have to give. Most western armies have been built under the assumption that they will always hold air superiority (which was not a bad assumption for most of the cold war), and so investment into land-based AA outside of navies has been kind of an afterthought.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Stopping by to say good luck Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

VitalSigns posted:

Do you agree with that argument, if secession is illegitimate then how can Ukraine be a country

The talk about secession and self-determination seems weirdly selective and cynical. Secession from a country we want to see dismembered is fine, otherwise not?

It seems to me that if people don't want to be ruled by Moscow, it is wrong to use the military to force them to be. But it also seems to me that if people don't want to be ruled by Kiev forcing them is wrong too.

Well I think we agree on this
How do you determine that they didn't want to be part of Ukraine?