Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So how many times have you had to reset for failed pickpocketing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

In a proper thief-styled run of the game, it's actually a lot more likely to reset for failed sneaking/lockpicking than pickpocketing. This is because generally, what you're stealing the most of (booze/drugs, money, stimpacks) is either weightless or nearly weightless, and the really big stuff (guns, store inventory, large quantities of ammo) you know in advance to booze your victim down to 1 PE before attempting.

Boosting Steal chances actually DOES make a significant difference, but the reason most people don't recommend it is because it's mostly a quality-of-life boost whereas boosting the combat skills and Speech have a tangible effect that isn't easily replicated by save scumming.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 16, 2014

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Mordaedil posted:

If Pluto qualifies though, we'd have to add over 200 new findings in our solar system to what would count as planets.
You do realize that means we'd possibly run out of Roman gods to name everything after and have to actually use our heads for a different naming convention, right?

Seriously.

Also, I like the idea of having like 200+ planets in the solar system.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Shei-kun posted:

You do realize that means we'd possibly run out of Roman gods to name everything after and have to actually use our heads for a different naming convention, right?

Seriously.

Also, I like the idea of having like 200+ planets in the solar system.

"Scientists today announced the discovery of yet another new planet in our Solar System. The lead scientist insists that the planet will be named 'Planet gently caress You Mary Wilkinson You Should Have Gone With Me To Prom,' though the IAU has yet to comment."

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

I like the idea of "more than just eight planets" too, but Haumea, Makemake, and Eris, Hawaiian, Rapa Nui, and Greek deities. Progress! (Hell, if we count named dwarf planet candidates, Sedna's an Inuit sea goddess, and Quaoar's the creator god of the California Mission Indians -- Orcus, Salacia, and Ceres are actually Roman!)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Schwartzcough posted:

Pickpocketing only checks when you actually take an item. It is free to look from even the lowest level of steal.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How many copies of Cat's Paw are there in the game? It seems a little weird to have to steal some from ghouls.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Schwartzcough posted:

I didn't keep track, but only once or twice. Most things I'm only looking at, with the exception of things like manuals and healing items. I don't actually need most of the things you can steal, and being a stealth run we don't even need much ammo or more than basic weaponry.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Glazius posted:

How many copies of Cat's Paw are there in the game? It seems a little weird to have to steal some from ghouls.

The wiki puts a lower bound at 19 but doesn't claim to be a comprehensive list. I think there might be a shop or 3 that stock it if you're just that desperate.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
The Dakka Way - Update 3

If you arrive at the Ghost Farm at the right time you'll run into the guards and gets an ultimatum. We could completely ruin them at this point, but it's much more fun to go along with them for the moment.

If you're curious, this is what happens if you offer Jonny candy or do anything else the least bit suspicious. For this initial run it doesn't really matter, but once you scare him you don't have an option to complete the quest normally.

Talking to Jonny before you go back to deliver the message gives you a new dialogue option. I've never actually used this one before, but let's see what happens...

Applying the right leverage results in a posse heading out to the Ghost Farm to put a stop to their shenanigans once and for all.

All of the men in Modoc show up, and actually have the upper hand even without a power-armored monster assisting on their side. The actual result is that I have to chase down a bunch of runners, since it's easy to lose line of sight in the corn field.

After our participation it looks like things got a bit out of hand. You don't even get Jonny back, suggesting that he was a casualty during the attack. As a result you don't get the experience for saving Modoc or for saving Jonny. It's probably the best demonstration of the general thrust of an evil play through: you can do whatever fantastically hosed up thing the game will allow, but you usually get a dramatically reduced award for it.

So, in the experience of not losing several thousand XP we'll go with the other route instead. Unfortunately, I somehow missed talking to Karl in the Den and had to make a trip back and forth between the two. You have 30 days to get the information, and walking to the Den and back takes a total of 24. If you don't confirm that the bodies are fake at the Ghost Farm you also have to visit there, adding a couple of extra days. It's tight, but unless you screw around it's doable.

To satisfy our desire for petty evil we can go ahead and tell Cornelius that Farrel was the thief, even though we know that he wasn't responsible.

Cornelius will go off to beat the crap out of Farrel, but he's likely to be foiled by the automatically closing doors in the bed and breakfast. In my play through he managed to get himself stuck just outside of his room, just as one would expect from a senile old man.

After that, there's not much left to do here but we can investigate Rose's "chicken." You have to kill a few dogs to get there, and you need some dynamite to get inside the actual coop.

Rose's chicken is actually a Deathclaw, although she's both weaker than a regular Deathclaw and definitely doesn't talk. A single burst is enough to tear her apart, and a normal group at this point wouldn't have too much trouble either. That ends our dealing with Modoc, so we can move on to Vault City...

Where we can be cruel to a small child and tear apart his beloved toy right in front of him. Muahahahaha! Hahahaha!

You even get an experience award (half of what you'd get for just handing the doll back over) for giving him a valuable lesson about life. I love this game.

As far as getting into Vault City, we could talk ourselves in with our claim of an important mission, but we can also claim to be merchants who need to do business. This one seems a bit harder to pass, especially since we don't have any obvious merchandise...

Or do we? Sorry, Sulik. You've been a good pack mule.

Or maybe not. The Servant Master only offers $100, and that's an insult. Sulik gets to stick around. From here things progress as normal...

Until we get to Gecko. For maximum bastardry, we have to find ol' Hank here and talk to him about coolant reports.

We need the copy from Harold's room, but with that we can convince Hank to go ahead and shut off the coolant. The scary part is that I can only assume he's the most qualified individual to run the place outside of Harold, which means everyone else is somehow even worse.

Melting down the plant gets you a flat 2500 experience points versus 4500 for the best solution, and you obviously can't optimize it so you lose out on another 2000 points. Villainy doesn't pay...

But it does royally piss Lynette off, and isn't that its own reward?

If that's not enough, asking for compensation pisses her off to the point where you end up in a fight and get to murder her. Despite what you'd expect, other people in Vault City object to us killing her and you pretty much have to fight your way out of the city. There's actually a special ending for Vault City if you murder the entire place, but that wouldn't really be productive so it's time for a rewind.

Instead, we'll monkey around on the computer before we fix everything. Somehow, 160 years after the end of the war the power plant is still hooked up to a functioning internet. We have to work through a security access code sequence, but it's easy enough to get by trial and error.

Most of the sites are closed, but Enclave looks interesting. If you're following the normal progression of the game this is the first chance you have of seeing the villains of the piece. And I do mean seeing...

Since logging on actually patches us in to a comm tech in power armor. We can bluff about mechanical difficulties, but it's pretty transparently clear that we have NO idea what we're doing.

The President gets name dropped, and evidently doesn't have much of a sense of humor…and this also explicitly explains that we're dealing with the remains of the United States government, which isn't really confirmed until near the end of the game if you miss this particular conversation.

Eventually it all goes sour and our new friend sends a kill squad after us, but nothing actually happens. Even if it did, we'd be long gone before they could show up, making this Gecko's problem and not ours. If only being a villain were a bit more feasible...

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
It's great how incredibly bored out of his mind that comms officer sounds when he appears, and the right bluffs have him practically joining you in complaining about how everything's broken. Dude's totally making faces under that helmet whenever he has to deal with higher-ups. Pissing him off is probably the most interesting thing that's happened at his station in years.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

It's nice that the game gives you so many opportunities to be a dick, but a shame that it makes it so unfeasible. Not only do you tend to lose access to merchants, quest givers, etc., but you get substantially reduced quest rewards as well? It's practically a challenge run.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

It's nice that the game gives you so many opportunities to be a dick, but a shame that it makes it so unfeasible. Not only do you tend to lose access to merchants, quest givers, etc., but you get substantially reduced quest rewards as well? It's practically a challenge run.

There's only a handful of shops in the entire game that you'd actually want to check more than once and either they don't check reputation or only do so after you actively gently caress over their faction. The lower xp isn't that big of a deal, there's plenty of opportunities to get more than you'll ever need.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Schwartzcough posted:

I just like it because it isn't the type of evil that was really well illustrated in NWN and has kinda plagued games since then, where being evil just basically involves complaining and extorting more money at no risk, while being good means passing on the reward for extra good points. Neutral solution does nothing to alignment, but just gives you the reward. So dumb.

At least Fallout encapsulates the choice and consequences the best of any game I know of.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mordaedil posted:

I just like it because it isn't the type of evil that was really well illustrated in NWN and has kinda plagued games since then, where being evil just basically involves complaining and extorting more money at no risk, while being good means passing on the reward for extra good points. Neutral solution does nothing to alignment, but just gives you the reward. So dumb.

At least Fallout encapsulates the choice and consequences the best of any game I know of.

I think it's just more that Obsidian get how to give the option to be a dick without your character going around punting puppies.
I mean, the Practical Incarnation in Planescape Torment is essentially a player character that is pragmatic, ruthless and intelligent as gently caress. He saved a party member from certain death only to manipulate him into an oath of eternal obendience.

Compare that to poo poo like the Tenpenny Tower quest from Fallout 3.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think the thing I like least about the Good/Neutral/Evil dynamic in Fallout 1&2 is that there's some urgency attached to retrieving the MacGuffin to prevent your people from starving to death, but...oh yes, little girl, I'll find your lost puppy!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mordaedil posted:

A post crafted specifically for the maximum concentration of wrong opinions.

I think that the Deus Ex thread just recently had a discussion between Bioware (Black Isle / Interplay, sure) style Big Moral Choices, where you're presented with the dialog options of Kick Puppy / Pet Puppy (-15 + 15 to your Karma Meter, respectively) and emergent morality, where the player has to decide whether they're going to GEP a kid just because he's being annoying. Obviously the second is kinda hard to implement.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Wait, so you prefer the Neverwinter Nights way of doing it, where the "evil choices" are literally "give me more money or else" with no real threat to back it up?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mordaedil posted:

Wait, so you prefer the Neverwinter Nights way of doing it, where the "evil choices" are literally "give me more money or else" with no real threat to back it up?

I much prefer the Neverwinter Nights example of I'M KEEPING THE BABY FOR MYSELF :byodood: (there is literally nothing that can be done with this baby item besides give it back to its parents or leave it somewhere)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Best morality system was Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. Overwhelming superpowers and guaranteed victory at your command, IF you permakill a friend. And the regular battles were so hard, so tempting, you were begging for an excuse to plume someone. That's the real crux of making an evil choice: it's supposed to be tempting, and it is oh so tempting there.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

I much prefer the Neverwinter Nights example of I'M KEEPING THE BABY FOR MYSELF :byodood: (there is literally nothing that can be done with this baby item besides give it back to its parents or leave it somewhere)

Oh, you're thinking Shadows of Undrentide, which has one good chapter in it. I was thinking the original campaign, which is generally seen as a really bad one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Karma systems need to be tempered with a well implemented Notoriety/Fame mechanic. Especially in RPGs.
You are an evil murdering hell bastard? Well word gets out and you are universally shunned.

There seems to be this fear of locking players out of content for certain actions, the mantra that 'all content must be available at all times' is honestly quite damaging to a game like FO, and not even when it comes to Morality systems.

Also Im not advocating the hiding of content from the player (Tales games :argh:) but locking players out of choices that wouldnt make sense from their previous actions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Morality choices need to be choices, i.e. there needs to be a valid reason to go either way. Usually either one side (typically the "good" side) gets favored, or else each side is basically equal and the one you pick is down to you choosing to roleplay as either a cartoonishly good or cartoonishly evil character. Of course there are exceptions, but this is the classic badly-done karma system.

A proper morality system should make it hard to be good, and to make being good not necessarily result in tangible, immediate rewards for the player. The evil character, when they're hungry, can just steal someone's lunch from the fridge. The good character stays hungry (or has to part with other resources, i.e. money, to get their food), but at least their coworker didn't get robbed. On the other hand, down the road the evil character may end up seeing said coworker crying at their desk, or maybe next week the lunch has been spiked with laxatives, etc.

Basically, your actions in the world need to have consequences. The better-written those consequences are, the better your morality system is. Boiling everything down to a "how good are you?" number and having a few branches based on that number's value is the laziest possible approach short of not actually bothering at all.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
With all this talk about morality in games and the choices associated with them, I'm curious what people think of the Fable games' karma system. I don't remember it too well off-hand.

I do, however, remember Bioshock's karma system to be utter crap for the ending. It was literally you are the equivalent of Hitler and planning on conquering the world or you are the best grand-father and everyone loves you. Sugarplums and gumdrops may or may not be included.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

With all this talk about morality in games and the choices associated with them, I'm curious what people think of the Fable games' karma system. I don't remember it too well off-hand.

I do, however, remember Bioshock's karma system to be utter crap for the ending. It was literally you are the equivalent of Hitler and planning on conquering the world or you are the best grand-father and everyone loves you. Sugarplums and gumdrops may or may not be included.

Not to mention the fact that if you were being good and not getting the extra Adam the mean way, they would leave gift packages full of Adam and unique abilities like CHARM BIG DADDY every X amount of Good Choice. So you have basically no reason to do Bad Thing except for a small legup in the first two hours or so, if that. That and it is another case of "Do ONLY Good forever, or ONLY Evil forever, or you miss out on alignment unlocks/you are locked into Evil because you jaywalked that ONE time."

My big pet peeve for Morality systems is when there are hefty punishments up to and including nonstandard game-over, but it clearly does not apply to NPCs despite everything in the lore saying it should. Frickin Vampires man, yeah okay I'll make sure not to kill any Hobos while you, the centuries old moustache twirling rear end in a top hat, just keep on being as much of an amoral dick as usual with no downside.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 18, 2014

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like The Suffering did a pretty good job of a morality system. All of the "good" actions were fairly difficult escort quests or other missions where you had to help another person at your expense, though there was usually a small reward at the end of it. The "evil" actions were along the lines of, "If I just kill this rear end in a top hat guard who made my life hell while I was in prison and take the key off his corpse, I don't have to help him at all."

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dis astranagant posted:

There's only a handful of shops in the entire game that you'd actually want to check more than once and either they don't check reputation or only do so after you actively gently caress over their faction. The lower xp isn't that big of a deal, there's plenty of opportunities to get more than you'll ever need.

There's one issue: Being a Slaver or a Childkiller (or worse, both!) blocks off a shitload of quests from you, which means that in order to keep up with a mostly good character (or even morally grey character, who gets all the options) you need to either go genocidal on a city or two, or you need to grind in random battles for disproportionately too long. (Here's a hint: Any time at all is too long)

Of course, you could just utterly level New Reno and never have to worry about quests ever.

dis astranagant posted:

The wiki puts a lower bound at 19 but doesn't claim to be a comprehensive list. I think there might be a shop or 3 that stock it if you're just that desperate.

Ironically (given the karma talk), the one shopkeeper I know of that stocks Cat's Paw magazines is Flick.

You know, the rear end in a top hat in the Den that tends to have a pretty sweet early-game gun when you kill him.

This is really the only reason he's worth keeping alive, for the record.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 18, 2014

TeerZombie
Aug 5, 2003

Crush all hu-mans!

Mordaedil posted:

Oh, you're thinking Shadows of Undrentide, which has one good chapter in it. I was thinking the original campaign, which is generally seen as a really bad one.

My biggest problem with the morality system in Neverwinter was that it if you were playing as an evil character it didn't feel obvious why you would even bother trying to save the city and not just leave for somewhere that isn't plague ridden. In both fallout 1 and 2 you were trying to save your vault/village and could be as ruthless as you wanted with it still making sense in the overall plot.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I feel like The Suffering did a pretty good job of a morality system. All of the "good" actions were fairly difficult escort quests or other missions where you had to help another person at your expense, though there was usually a small reward at the end of it. The "evil" actions were along the lines of, "If I just kill this rear end in a top hat guard who made my life hell while I was in prison and take the key off his corpse, I don't have to help him at all."

There were interesting benefits and penalties to the morality there too. It affected your backstory, the nature of some hallucinations, and you healed better but berzerked less when you were pure good, and vice-versa.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Sneaking Mission - Update 3

"Otacon, I've been found. They've got me surrounded… I need an escape route!

"Got it Snake! Head into the cave, you can lose them in the tunnels."

"…this is not an improvement. Any more bright ideas?"

"Afraid not. I guess the only thing you can do is take off running as soon as you're back out of the cave and hope they don't shoot you to many times."

"The sad part is, that's only the third worst escape plan I've ever heard."

One miraculous escape later..

"Otacon, it looks like negotiations have broken down… can I take this guy down?"

"I think you've got to, at this point… sorry Snake, asking him if love could bloom on the battlefield was probably the wrong thing to do."

"Eh… oops. I think I might have missed my chance. He was kind of quick on the trigger."

"No? Otacon, what does she mean by core?"

"That's not a good sign. Wait, Snake, there's something about this…"

"Is that going to cause some kind of major problem? Normally I try to disable the power when I'm sneaking into places, but…"

"It's not good, but something's wrong Snake. You're not even supposed to be at this part of the simulation yet!"

"Huh. That makes me feel better about screwing it up. Just a little bit."

"Get ready… there. I've reverted the simulation back to an earlier point. Your next mission is in a mining town on the way to the New California Republic, not at the NCR itself."

"But… if I've got memories of the next part of the mission, did it really not happen?"

"In one way it did, and in another way it didn't… computers are great that way."

"This is definitely giving me a headache."

Heading in to Broken Hills, now that we know that the best reward is from releasing the criminals and then turning them in we have some additional options. If you sneak up on the mutant guarding the cells you can pickpocket a key and use it to open the doors without any of the trouble of trying to use your lockpick skill.

Other than that the most interesting things to steal in town are some drugs and a bit of petty cash, although there is one exception...

"Wait, Snake how did you pickpocket a scorpion?"

"Very carefully. Surprised he caught me, since I'd already stolen his glasses. And his stinger."

"I'm not even going to ask."

"Snake, be careful in the next area. The most dangerous enemies aren't necessarily the most obvious."

"That sounds like something Mei Ling would say. Are you sure we can't get her back for platitudes?"

"Afraid not, but don't worry! I've got a list of sayings to pull out at appropriate times."

"Somehow I don't see this working out."

Not much to report for thieving, but it's amusing to find that almost all of the prostitutes are packing shivs in addition to their pocket change. You can also steal fixed dice

"Otacon! What's a donkey punch?"

"Donkey punch?!"

"Donkey punch!"

Uh.. Snake, remember how I told you there were things on the internet that you didn't want to know about? This is one of them."

"Okay… what about Snootchie Bootchies?"

"I'll admit, I'm lost on that one… there's a lot of hidden references in here."

"Are the exploding cows some kind of reference too?"

"Those.. those might be a bug. I'll go ahead and report that."

"What about these guys? What king? And I think one of them is banging coconuts together…"

"You know, Monty Python and the Holy Grail?"

"Monty what?"

"…okay, now I know what we're doing next weekend."

Moving through the mines, we can actually evade most of the encounters on the way to fix the mine equipment.

On the way out we grab the refined ore from Chuck Stodgers. The refinery is actually located past the stockyard/general store.

You have to pay $1000 up front, but you can get it all back with an extra $500. There's also a bug where you can keep refining the ore and reselling it for a profit.

"Snake, are you going through with the boxing challenge?"

"It's not CQC, but… code name, RAGING BULL!"

Doing this one more time game me a chance to observe the difference between using regular gloves and weighted gloves. Using regular gloves gives this result...

While weighted gloves give this bonus. It's a substantial improvement in Laser resistance, and a slight improvement in normal damage resistance. You'd almost think it would be the reverse, where fighting through the hard way would give better results.

The other way to exploit this is to throw the championship. You get resistance points for participating in matches, not for winning them. Running up to the champ and punching him square in the dick will get you out of the fight with your ear and your bonuses.

Instead of fighting The Masticator we get an easier match against a ripoff of Evander Holyfield, who won't try to bite your ear off.

Despite that, he's still worth just as much experience and you get a message saying that you beat the Masticator. Considering the amount of coding issues with some of the special areas in the game, I can't say I'm surprised.

Even better, Stuart ends up with his half of the winnings in his pocket, where you can steal it at your leisure. Since it's money, it doesn't even have a real weight to add an element of difficulty.

"Snake, is this… okay?"

"Hey, he's not the one who almost had his virtual ear bitten off."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ddegenha posted:

"Okay… what about Snootchie Bootchies?"

"I'll admit, I'm lost on that one… there's a lot of hidden references in here."

C'mon Otacon, you're supposed to be a movie guy, right? Or was that someone else in the Metal Gear universe?

At any rate, I think it's a reference to Jay of Jay and Silent Bob, from Clerks and pretty much every other Kevin Smith movie.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

C'mon Otacon, you're supposed to be a movie guy, right? Or was that someone else in the Metal Gear universe?

I think Clerks is a bit out of Otacon's personal nerd-circle. It's a different kind of nerd that goes for Kevin Smith movies than goes for Japanese animes.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I'm pretty late to the table here, but I don't think I saw mention of this when we passed it in the thread. I'd be surprised if Marge LeBarge wasn't a nod to a Robert Service poem, The Cremation of Sam McGee.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
The Dakka Way - Update 4

Since we're having to be good guys, we can also go ahead and grab the experience for optimizing the reactor. You can also give the disk to Hank here and have him do it, but the outcome is the same regardless.

After that it's time to go grab a car. While we're here we can also screw with Karl and tell him the ghosts have come to get him. We don't get the experience for telling him he can come home, but that was a minor award and this way is funnier.

Sadly a car doesn't come with driver's ed, but that's not likely to bother us. To hell with helping him out from under the bumper.

We'll go ahead and try the arm wrestling with Francis...

But it doesn't work out. Turns out that you need high ST and EN to win the match. Oops!

We end up getting a ball gag for our troubles. Better not to think about how that got there. Even worse, every time you lose you get a new one. I ended up with about 3-4 before I realized I couldn't win the arm wrestling.

Since we can't win that, we might as well go ahead with the quest to free the conspirators from jail. It's a bit ridiculous to sneak around in our power armor, which suggests that the mutant they have guarding them must be nearly blind and deaf.

The next step is to accept the mission to destroy the mines, which is a bit simpler than repairing it since we don't have to go to New Reno to accomplish it. We don't want to do it immediately, though, as there's still a few things to do around town.

Going to the guy who wants you to find his wife, it turns out that he's too distracted by his concern for you to actually acknowledge it when you tell him you're here to rob him...

But you can still be as cruel as possible when breaking the news to him.

You even get full experience for it. Muahahaha!

We'll be taking this path eventually, but in the meantime we might as well follow through on the destruction plot.

Gathering up some more experience in town with the miscellaneous side quests gets us another perk. We could take Action Boy or Bonus Rate of Fire, but they're functionally identical at this point. Taking Bonus Rate of Fire reduces our burst down to 4 AP, and with 11 AP that means we get two shots and a reload every turn. In D&D terms we've gone from 3/2 to 2/1.

Using Buffout gives us the EN we need. For that we get a simple message and a power fist.. hardly worth it, all things considered.

Once we're ready we have to go back and tell these guys that we're ready to go into the mine.

The good news is that since we've got Power Armor we don't have to worry about taking damage from the poison gas and can explore the place at our leisure. Unfortunately, the deathclaw is a weaker version and goes down to a single burst… well, just about anything would go down from that burst, but he's definitely weak.

Destroying the air purifier seals the mine off, and gives you about half the experience that fixing the air purifier would.

We also get the questionable approbation of these idiots, and access to an armory under one of the stores. About that last one...

We still have to talk the owner into letting us through, and despite the fact that we took out most of the mutants she's still a paranoid shithead.

The so called arsenal is two pistols and a pittance of ammo. It's hard to be an evil guy in this game. There's also a combat shotgun, which we would have gotten from taking the "good" solution as well.

If we don't get the uranium on our way out, we're also completely cut off from that source of funds and experience. If the super mutants aren't an issue anymore, the ghouls here are probably next on the list.

Going through the more beneficial route we can also swing by the Bishops and work with them. Angela Bishop isn't terribly impressed with our armor, and you actually have to take it off before you can get an invitation upstairs.

Going back to deal with our car being stolen, for some reason we can't convince T-Ray that we're working for Bishop even if we actually are. A bit funny, that, and it leads to us having to fight T-Ray when we press the issue.

He takes one look at our equipment and runs off in between some shelves to escape us. It extends his lifespan by a couple seconds, which means he lives about 30 seconds longer than the rest of his crew.

Doing a few more quests leads us to Golgotha, which is a fertile area for graverobbing. Despite that, it's not really worth the trouble… although this particular gravestone strikes me as particularly funny for some understandable reasons.

One of the best things about wandering around in power armor is the various reactions of townspeople in New Reno. He's quite wrong… there's plenty here for me to conquer.

This includes the boxing ring, although we're at a disadvantage since we can't do called shots to the head. The working plan is just to pound them as hard as we can and hope for the best.

Luckily it's quite possible to get an instant kill shot to the chest. We even get the bonus resistance since we're using weighted gloves to even the odds.

Moving over to the Wright family, this provides a chance to investigate Richard Wright's murder. Turns out that talking to Jules gets you exactly zero help. You need to talk to the other two possible suspects to actually finish the quest.

Moving on to the next part of the Wright sequence, Sulik meets an unfortunate end due to being too dumb to not walk on an electric floor. Alas, poor Sulik, you were a fine pack mule. Luckily we've reached a point where we can do without his services… although we'll still have to recover the gear we gave him.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
drat, that is a lot of damage from the electrified floor. The power armor insulates you?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kept going back to an arm wrestling bet you can't win, huh? I'm surprised the game didn't bust out with a "if I didn't know better, I'd say you enjoy losing this bet."

Also, Sulik nooooo! I and we will miss you.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

ddegenha posted:

Moving on to the next part of the Wright sequence, Sulik meets an unfortunate end due to being too dumb to not walk on an electric floor. Alas, poor Sulik, you were a fine pack mule. Luckily we've reached a point where we can do without his services… although we'll still have to recover the gear we gave him.
Gotta love the AI in these old games :allears:

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

ddegenha posted:

Eventually it all goes sour and our new friend sends a kill squad after us, but nothing actually happens. Even if it did, we'd be long gone before they could show up, making this Gecko's problem and not ours. If only being a villain were a bit more feasible...

Was this bugged out or incomplete and a kill squad was supposed to show up? This game came out around the time IMs were big and I always thought this was supposed to be spoofing online conversations that are full of empty threats to kick the other persons rear end.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

ClothHat posted:

Was this bugged out or incomplete and a kill squad was supposed to show up? This game came out around the time IMs were big and I always thought this was supposed to be spoofing online conversations that are full of empty threats to kick the other persons rear end.

I'm pretty sure the Enclave comes in and wipes out the place similarly to Vault 13, after you leave. It should be reflected in the ending, if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Meaty Ore posted:

I'm pretty sure the Enclave comes in and wipes out the place similarly to Vault 13, after you leave. It should be reflected in the ending, if I recall correctly.

That is supposed to happen, but I don't think it does.

• Locked thread