Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

I loathe Breedlove so, so, so much when it comes to their acoustics.

I must be stupid then because my Breedlove sounds and plays better than any of the acoustics my friends bought (and paid 2x as much for). I'd take it over all of their Takamines, Alvarezes, Yamahas, and Ibanezes. I think they agree, too. It's absolutely not dead-sounding. But hey, I'm just a tool.

Pic click

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrethraFranklin
Aug 11, 2003
I don't have a drinking problem, 'cept when I can't get a drink.
I went to my local music shop and as it turns out, they are an Egnater dealer, so they had this in stock:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Egnater-Renegade-65W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=620076

After playing it, I decided to ebay my treasured Marshall 2555 Silver Jubilee to get one. I can't describe how awesome this thing sounds, and how many ways in which it is able to sound awesome. By far the most versatile all tube amp I've ever played, and sounds amazing in every single setting, and just the features alone (like a boost that can be controlled from the foot pedal, reverb, adjustable wattage settings for each channel) are totally awesome and practical. I just need to sell my Marshall first...

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Picked up a PRS SE, it is seriously the best guitar I've ever played.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Dr. Faustus posted:

I must be stupid then because my Breedlove sounds and plays better than any of the acoustics my friends bought (and paid 2x as much for). I'd take it over all of their Takamines, Alvarezes, Yamahas, and Ibanezes. I think they agree, too. It's absolutely not dead-sounding. But hey, I'm just a tool.

Pic click

That was bound to happen. :unsmith:

To be fair, Breedlove seems to be making an effort to make affordable guitars now which is something I like to see in a high end builder. I do not like their headstocks or bridges but the bridge on yours is pretty tasteful. I've never played one so can't comment on the sound. I was very interested to read about the bridge truss system. It's an interesting idea; even really nice acoustics tend to become convex behind the bridge so I can see the rationale behind including it off the rack. Whether or not it makes sense in a Breedlove though, I'm definitely going to see if I can flatten out the top on my old Sigma twelve-string. For $22 to fix a cheap guitar you can hardly go wrong.

As for high pricing and bad design, I'm going to go out on a limb and name McPherson as the biggest offender. I've played a few and always found them really quiet. The sound is nice and the necks are to die for, as is the wood selection (even if some combinations are a bit "creative") and fit and finish are to die for. The problem as I see it is not the offset soundhole- that existed and worked long before McPherson was around. The problem is that dramatically overbrace the tops. They laminate spruce and ebony*, something I've seen from one other builder and which I never thought was a very good idea. I think ebony is too dense to do anything but harm glued to a top. McPherson then goes a step further and sticks this platform under the bracing itself, increasing the amount of surface area that has poo poo clued to it. The braces themselves have nice little cutaways so they don't touch where they cross but they're sitting on top of this extra eigth-inch of wood that has no business being there. From the picture on the site it looks to me like spruce that has been oriented with the grain running perpendicular. I'm sure it's very stiff, it's just overbuilt as gently caress.

The best part of all this is that McPherspn's story is that the design was divinely inspired. :dawkins101:

For the record, there's only one modern bracing system I've ever seen that I think is genuinely better than the traditional style it replaces. This would be the Kasha/Schneider classical bracing. I've listened to and played one guitar braced this way and the difference was night and day in terms of volume, projection, and (most impressively) string balance. I don't know if the same principles have ever been applied to steel string but I hope they have.

Maybe we should make an Instrument Design Bitchfest Thread...

*That might actually be rosewood in the pics but my point stands regardless; it's heavier than spruce.

Edit: "bracking"...?

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 21, 2009

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Ratmann posted:

Picked up a PRS SE, it is seriously the best guitar I've ever played.

I've got a "pre-lawsuit" Tremonti SE and they're loving phenomenal guitars, especially for the price. Any of the SEs are worth owning.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm
I just bought one of these bad boys:

The Akai MPD24. I hit it with my fingers, it makes Live go bump-ba-dump. I twiddle the knobs, it makes Live go squawk-a-squeek. I do the faders, and it does nothing because I haven't got Live to see them yet.

It looks completely rad sitting on my cobalt-blue Yamaha CS1X.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Dr. Faustus posted:

Pic click

That looks like their budget Atlas series, in which they do not do their retarded loving Bridge Dr. bullshit (which they do in drat near all of their "proper" high-end models). I love their Atlas series, personally, with the exception of their pin-less bridge design. I would even say I recommend them. But they're not what Breedlove is known for, or typical of their build procedure and design.

Dragon Eye Morrison fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 22, 2009

sailorjosh
Apr 23, 2006

Peanut butter, mother fucker.
Just snatched this on ebay, it'll be my first fiddle, I'm excited! -

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yank those fine tuners off the G D and A strings.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Hmm, a 60s Fender case! What could be inside?

Why, it's a 1966 Jazzmaster in Charcoal Frost!

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

gently caress you.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pennywisdom posted:

gently caress you.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Rashomon posted:

Hmm, a 60s Fender case! What could be inside?

Wow. That is a great year and a great example of late 60s Fender stuff in general. Are you going to gig and record with it?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Definitely recording a lot, and I'm hoping to start gigging within the next year, so hopefully that too.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Goddamn. What a guitar.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Rashomon posted:

Definitely recording a lot, and I'm hoping to start gigging within the next year, so hopefully that too.

:neckbeard:

Please post clips when you have them. Way to upstage absolutely everyone too.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Time to start making some sick dubstep tracks.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Carbohydrates posted:

Goddamn. What a guitar.

When Carbohydrates says this, you know you've got something. This guy (presumably) has owned himself some fine-rear end guitars. How much did that set you back, if you care to say?

To contribute: I bought a BBE Ben Wah today. It's replacing my Vox V847, and it's doing a great job so far. I'll do a more thorough video review (with less talking then my last one) later on, but I'm not going to give you a set date as to when you can look forward to that, because I'm busy as all hell.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Carbo, who IIRC is currently selling a vintage LP JR? I don't feel too bad.

I got this guitar for VERY cheap (relative to what I estimate it's worth) because the auction itself was not well done. Bad pics, no pics of serial number or neck stamp, etc. But I knew enough to see what it was and the guy had very good feedback. I took the plunge.

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.

ten_twentyfour posted:

Time to start making some sick dubstep tracks.

hey how much was that 770s?

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

usualhandle posted:

hey how much was that 770s?

$170 at Guitar Center.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Rashomon posted:

That is VERY nice.

How is the trem on that? I mean, can you use it without quickly going out of tune?

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
Speaking of really expensive instruments, I remember seeing a link in here a while ago to electric basses made out of like 30,000 year old materials. Does anyone have that link?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I never got around to getting myself a pair of quality headphones, so today I finally broke down and ordered myself a pair of AKG240s

I'm stoked :D I didn't get the MKIIs since they were twice the price, but these already had such great reviews that I went ahead and got them. Now I wait for them to arrive...

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Actuary X posted:

That is VERY nice.

How is the trem on that? I mean, can you use it without quickly going out of tune?

I have always found Jazzmaster trems to be incredibly stable. I mean I don't do anything too crazy, but yeah, you can use it regularly and it stays in tune.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Not brand new but the neck for my franken-P arrived a little while ago (click for huge):

It's a Mighty Mite fretless Pbass neck that I picked up on ebay. The fingerboard is synthetic, which in this particular instance I consider an advantage. It's stiffer and more stable than real wood and to my pleasant surprise it's got a gorgeous high gloss finish. I dig it. The back is nice too; the skunk stripe is flawlessly inlaid including down by the heel which is where many installs get messy. Access is at the headstock, haven't had to adjust anything yet of course.

You can see part of the body in the corner. It's allegedly made of ash. It was a craigslist find, ran me eighty bucks and I also got a free router and a Sidewinder style mudbucker of unknown origin. The eventual plan is to install the mudbucker as well as a regular split coil (probably GFS) pickup and string BEAD with nylon tapewounds. And then I guess I'll learn to play fretless. :guitar:

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights
Ibanez Tube King vs. EHX English Muff'N for a high gain, very saturated Pop-Punky sound through a Blackheart 15W Tube Half stack?

E: I have an order "Pending" on a Barber Dirty Bomb, which I had been wanting to snag. I called the store and they said it would be a week and a half to two weeks, but if it's worth the wait, why not!

Good Will Punting fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 25, 2009

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

DeathBySpoon posted:

I never got around to getting myself a pair of quality headphones, so today I finally broke down and ordered myself a pair of AKG240s

I'm stoked :D I didn't get the MKIIs since they were twice the price, but these already had such great reviews that I went ahead and got them. Now I wait for them to arrive...

I just got a pair of these a few weeks ago. Best pair of headphones I've used. Now I'm looking for a good pair of in-ear monitors. My Shures died (again, set number 2 in 4 years) and am looking at Westone's buds. Anyone know anything about them?

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.
I brought my guitar into the local shop to get the nut looked at and the intonation checked, and made the mistake of bringing a back-to-school 10% off coupon with me that the local stores were all accepting.

I walked out with a lowish-serial Rat 2.

Good pedal, I play a Les Paul through a fairly clean Fender Blues Jr., and this cops a Marshall well enough for my needs, I'm really digging it so far. I'm still messing around with it, trying to find the best balance of distortion and volume, but I love that the Filter knob is a cut instead of a boost, makes it much easier to dial in a sound.

royalejest fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 26, 2009

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Not brand new but the neck for my franken-P arrived a little while ago (click for huge):

It's a Mighty Mite fretless Pbass neck that I picked up on ebay. The fingerboard is synthetic, which in this particular instance I consider an advantage. It's stiffer and more stable than real wood and to my pleasant surprise it's got a gorgeous high gloss finish. I dig it. The back is nice too; the skunk stripe is flawlessly inlaid including down by the heel which is where many installs get messy. Access is at the headstock, haven't had to adjust anything yet of course.

You can see part of the body in the corner. It's allegedly made of ash. It was a craigslist find, ran me eighty bucks and I also got a free router and a Sidewinder style mudbucker of unknown origin. The eventual plan is to install the mudbucker as well as a regular split coil (probably GFS) pickup and string BEAD with nylon tapewounds. And then I guess I'll learn to play fretless. :guitar:

I have that same neck on a cheap-o Jazz Bass body.
It's pretty nice for the price you pay for them. I taped off the fingerboard when I got it to finish the back of the neck, and when I pulled the tape off that super high gloss was gone. I never could get it to polish back up to where it was. I like the look of it now though.
One thing that threw me off at first is the side markers mark where the fret would be not in-between like on a fretted neck. Might be a standard fretless thing.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

ogopogo posted:

I just got a pair of these a few weeks ago. Best pair of headphones I've used. Now I'm looking for a good pair of in-ear monitors. My Shures died (again, set number 2 in 4 years) and am looking at Westone's buds. Anyone know anything about them?

Don't know anything about Westone's, but I've got the K240s and Etymotic ER-4P IEM's and they also kickass. The ER-4Ps have more bass than the S version (which has been a common complaint on these IEMs), but still have incredible accuracy. They're not so expensive for what they are, and for live playing monitors they're also really great.

esq
Dec 1, 2008

I'll have a white russian.

Rashomon posted:

Like... I want this so bad it hurts.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

I have that same neck on a cheap-o Jazz Bass body.
It's pretty nice for the price you pay for them. I taped off the fingerboard when I got it to finish the back of the neck, and when I pulled the tape off that super high gloss was gone. I never could get it to polish back up to where it was. I like the look of it now though.
One thing that threw me off at first is the side markers mark where the fret would be not in-between like on a fretted neck. Might be a standard fretless thing.

Yeah, I feel like it was a great deal. Especially after seeing an Allparts Geddy Lee type J-bass replacement that had the shittiest finish I've ever seen. It also had black specks under the clearcoat; all this on a $300 or so neck. gently caress that.

Good to know about the fingerboard, do you remember what kind of tape you used? Conventional wisdom is that the green masking tape is really safe (enough that techs use it on vintage finishes) but the Mighty Mite board could be delicate. I've toyed with the idea of rubbing an oil finish on the back of mine but I'm not too worried about stability. The nut will have to go though, because I'm using giant strings and because it's lovely Corian.

Side markers at each fret position is standard, I think. I know Warmoth does it and if I recall correctly Fender does as well. Makes sense to me, although I bet it will take some getting used to.

I'm getting closer to buying a bridge. I like the Gotoh 201 because I already have a chrome one installed on another bass and like it. That bass still isn't set up to play but the bridge feels good. It also comes in black and is cheap. I also like the idea of this Hipshot bridge and this Schaller has the most adjustable spacing. So I may very well go with one of those. If I decide that string spacing is a huge issue I'll pretty much have to go for the Schaller since it's been well reviewed and has the widest range.

Black tuners look like they'll run me at least $80 no matter what I get so I suppose I'll probably have to go with a cheaper bridge (hardly a tragedy in the case of the Gotoh) and shell out for whatever looks acceptable.

Maybe someone can help me with another part I've been looking for: The neck isn't drilled for mounting screws, and the body just has little starter holes. What I want to do is copy the mounting pattern on my Roadstar where the four bolts are way further apart. I think that's a better design. If possible, I'd like to put in threaded metal inserts so that removing and reinstalling the neck doesn't cause wear. I know I've seen kits with the inserts but I can't find them anymore. Thoughts?

Edit: Found a thread on TGP with discussion and some useful links. Looks like a trip to Canadian Tire can probably get me what I need. Maybe I'll go all out and do six bolt...

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 27, 2009

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It was the green masking tape. I've since moved away from lacquer on the back of necks in favor of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, it is an oil finish meant for gun stocks but works awesome on necks.

On my latest build I picked up some inserts and bolts at Home Depot, found them in the nuts and bolts section. The inserts have threads on the outside and a hex head so you can drive them in. I didn't use a plate at all and just drilled recesses for the bolt heads.

For black tuners check this out:
http://www.basspartsresource.com/bass_tunerswilkinson.html
The WCBT-B set.

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF
I've one of these on the way:

Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic.

Basically what happened was, at another forum I frequent, someone found some random local music store with an online-shop straight out of 1998 unloading their last couple duos at $99 each.

Cue about 15 people buying them at $99 from MF or Guitar Centre via price matching. Someone there bought a total of 6 so that us Brits across the pond could get in on the action. After shipping costs it cost me about £95.

MF were not happy at all about it and the guy had to work hard to get the last two shipped to him for the reduced price.

Considering they retail for about £240 here I'm pretty happy with the deal, even if I get hit with customs charges.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Alligator posted:

even if I get hit with customs charges.

They'll be about £18, for reference (4% duty + 15% VAT)

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Alligator posted:

Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic.

How funny, I just bought one of these and got it yesterday (except mine is black, black pickguard, with black Alnico 50 pickups). The Tele-style 3-saddle bridge is funky, I've never had a guitar with one before.

EDIT: Oh, it was used, and I paid $150 shipped.

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 28, 2009

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF

Run Dodo Run posted:

They'll be about £18, for reference (4% duty + 15% VAT)
I bought a guitar worth around £150, listed as so on the box.

£45 customs charge.

I've bought a guitar worth about £700-800, listed as about £400 on the box to try and avoid huge customs charges but so I would get back at least the majority of my money (I paid £660 shipped from the US) should anything go wrong.

£35 customs charge.

Both paid at the same desk in the same depot.

Never, ever expect consistency from those people.

Scientology
May 19, 2009

The evolution of knowledge is toward simplicity, not complexity.
The Virus TI P0LAR:

Click here for the full 615x461 image.

I bought this at Guitar Center for what I thought was an unbelievably great deal, a little more than half of what I've seen it selling for everywhere else.

When I got home and hooked it up I found out why: you can't get the software you need to sync it to your home computer without registering it with the company. Someone's registered this one already :( Now I'm hoping I can find someone who IS a registered user to give me the software, or maybe to steal the serial number off of a display model somewhere. ARGH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's a horribly broken business model. Surely you can email customer service and get the registration transferred? What happens when/if that company goes out of business? Your sweet gear now has $0 resale value?