Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

how many of you guys are jealous of my eight year old monitors that i took from my parents' office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I think I used to have those monitors. Also that American Football album is good stuff!

:discourse:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

TheDK posted:

I think I used to have those monitors. Also that American Football album is good stuff!

:discourse:

ASUS H243H. i really want to just switch to one 4k monitor in the next while - maybe it'll be a christmas present or something. my attention span is poo poo and i always just get distracted by whatever's on my secondary, especially if it's a tv show or a yt video.

also hell yeah, love american football!

sorry for the grain/general unclarity on that photo as well, i don't like warm lights so i only use one desk lamp and my camera lens doesn't open up too wide. the result was a lot of grain on the photo (and slight blurriness because i couldn't focus correctly in those harsh conditions)

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
My nerd den.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

anyone in this thread know of a good desk chair without wheels on it?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

landgrabber posted:

anyone in this thread know of a good desk chair without wheels on it?

Probably easier to get a regular chair and cups/stoppers for the wheels. Maybe there's aftermarket casters that don't roll but I don't know what terminology you would use to search for them.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

https://amazon.com/Profile-Glides-Glide-Finish-70175/dp/B001MS70J8

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Some people may dislike that all my monitors are not level or the same size, but none of them actually go to the same computer. I use ShareMouse to link them all.

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004
Just refreshed my input devices. Digging the keyboard and mousepad -- haven't used tenkeyless before.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I made a simple bench for my junk. Yes I need a new mousepad.

edit: bonus retro content - my room circa 2007. For some reason I decided hanging my monitor upside down was a great thing to do.

BurgerQuest fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 26, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BurgerQuest posted:

For some reason I decided hanging my monitor upside down was a great thing to do.

Was it?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BurgerQuest posted:

I made a simple bench for my junk. Yes I need a new mousepad.

edit: bonus retro content - my room circa 2007. For some reason I decided hanging my monitor upside down was a great thing to do.

For a fleeting moment I thought the green pillow was a certain stuffed frog...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

muskrat posted:

Just refreshed my input devices. Digging the keyboard and mousepad -- haven't used tenkeyless before.

Keyboards without tenkeys are good for ergonomics because it shortens the distance between your arms when you are using keyboard and mouse. Not applicable to shooters but yknow

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Also if you get a keyboard with mx reds your k/d goes up 3x

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I can't remember now but I'm sure I loved the poo poo out of all that extra deskspace.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

canyoneer posted:

Keyboards without tenkeys are good for ergonomics because it shortens the distance between your arms when you are using keyboard and mouse. Not applicable to shooters but yknow

It gives more room on your desk for nasty flicks with your 16 inch 360

shookwell
Oct 3, 2004
no fuckin cornflakes
Updated the wife's kitchendesk

before:

after:

shookwell fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 27, 2018

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Oh speaking of litestep. Here was me in
2006 when I had nothing going on in my life but this:

Edit: lol I think I was trying to brag about having Andy Baio and Aaron Jasinski in my contacts list. Dang kid.

Litestep was the poo poo. I was all over that in 99/00 before moving to XP.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Finally cleaned up my desk and redid my monitor mounts so my new display isn't just sitting in front of the old one that was previously still bolted to the lower position...

It's nice to have desk space again, rather than having 34 inches of monitor taking up half of it.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Thanks for sharing all these old desktops. I remember the days of endlessly customizing things.

I don't have any screenshots, but my go-to setup had zero desktop icons (only the Recycle Bin). I liked the Zune WinXP theme for a while.

Winamp was always docked to the right hand side. AIM, MSN, and ICQ running in the tray. mIRC and SADCHUB running.

Those were the days. Please keep sharing them.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i found a slightly more tasteful theme and it's loving baller

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Windows 10 with ICQ and MSN Messenger running is like being stuck in a time warp.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah what the gently caress, is that PC installed in a tardis or some poo poo?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

eeeeeeyyyyy thug 2 and thug pro. awesome

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah what the gently caress, is that PC installed in a tardis or some poo poo?

some people cure cancer, I spend my time making my home computer the most authentic mid-2000s experience possible on modern hard/software. the culture around maintaining these old rear end clients and recreating classic themes for each new Win10 version is pretty impressive.

for reference, that MSN is being run with EscargotMSN (a private server) and the ICQ client is actually still connected to official ICQ servers, but with a patched version of the 2002a client.

landgrabber posted:

eeeeeeyyyyy thug 2 and thug pro. awesome

awww yeeeeaaaaa boyyyyyy, i actually have THPS2 and THPS4 installed as well, just no desktop icon

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Well I hope you have winamp installed with some dumb skins then!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I think I've finally got my workbench set up the way I want it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I don't know where to ask this, but where can I find a desk?

I'd like:
  • A large flat surface (~72"x30", >30" fine)
  • Sturdy
  • Back panel can't go down to the ground or that far as I'd like to have my PC under it
  • No cabinets or annoying stuff blocking my legs
  • No grommets or bullshit interfering with my desk space
  • No shelves or dumb crap blocking my desk space
  • My current desk is 32" high, it has to be a minimum of 26" high so my legs can actually fit but my new office unfortunately has carpet so maybe 27" is safer
  • No rounded front/back!!

I suppose what I want is a "table" or bench or whatever. Something like this or this are the closest I could come up with. Both have the same design flaws, annoying grommets and a back panel that goes too far toward the ground.

I suppose I could just try and modify them to cut out a spot for my computer, or I could put my computer to the side of my desk. I don't think I'll put it on top again. I'm worried about stability if I just start cutting stuff.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 22, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Khorne posted:

I'd like:
  • Sturdy
  • Back panel can't go down to the ground or that far as I'd like to have my PC under it
  • My current desk is 32" high, it has to be a minimum of 26" high so my legs can actually fit but my new office unfortunately has carpet so maybe 27" is safer

I suppose what I want is a "table" or bench or whatever. Something like this or this are the closest I could come up with. Both have the same design flaws, annoying grommets and a back panel that goes too far toward the ground.

I suppose I could just try and modify them to cut out a spot for my computer, or I could put my computer to the side of my desk. I don't think I'll put it on top again. I'm worried about stability if I just start cutting stuff.

IKEA?

My partner and I each have had one of these for the last 3 years and we like them a lot.

Obv. you can just buy some butcherblock/countertop material and slap it over some trestles/legs and call it a day. Even if you don’t like any of IKEA’s table sets they have a good selection of bases/legs that you can BYO tabletop with.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
Seconding the “buy an ikea table and stick legs on it” recommendation.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Also Gladiator workbench.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Khorne posted:

I'd like:
  • Sturdy

My requirements for a desk were essentially exactly the same as yours and I ended up with one of the 6 foot long Husky workbenches from Home Depot and I couldn't be happier. It's currently on sale for like $250 and regularly goes on sale anywhere from ~$250-270 but even at full price it's a great deal imo.

72"x30"? Check. Sturdy? Incredibly sturdy, this desk is like ~100lbs of solid wood and steel. Back panel? If you want you can install the top bar at the back of the desk and it'll give you a few inches of a "back panel" if you wanted to hide cables or something but personally I removed it so I could use a monitor arm that clamps to the back of the table. Otherwise non-existent. Cabinets/shelves/etc? Nope. Grommets/holes/etc? Nope. Height adjustable legs so you can dial it in just how you want it. Mind you, take this "height adjust" with a grain of salt because you have to essentially remove everything from on top of the table, flip it over or on it's side and unbolt the legs, slide them in or out and re-bolt them down and flip it back over. I think of it more like a "set it and forget it" type height adjust. The corners and edges are nicely rounded off but otherwise it's just a huge rectangle which I think is what you want based on that last item. Bring a friend and a large truck/SUV though.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Mister Speaker posted:

Sometimes I write music with this computer and bleep-bloop gear,

but usually I just hang out at my other desk.

Why are you using those lovely speakers?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Electric Bugaloo posted:

IKEA?

My partner and I each have had one of these for the last 3 years and we like them a lot.

Obv. you can just buy some butcherblock/countertop material and slap it over some trestles/legs and call it a day. Even if you don’t like any of IKEA’s table sets they have a good selection of bases/legs that you can BYO tabletop with.

exacly this. there's a certain countertop sort of surface you can buy threr for fairly cheap that is fully wood, not particle board. then just buy some nuce legs and do a bi of drilling.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

100% Dundee posted:

My requirements for a desk were essentially exactly the same as yours and I ended up with one of the 6 foot long Husky workbenches from Home Depot and I couldn't be happier. It's currently on sale for like $250 and regularly goes on sale anywhere from ~$250-270 but even at full price it's a great deal imo.

72"x30"? Check. Sturdy? Incredibly sturdy, this desk is like ~100lbs of solid wood and steel. Back panel? If you want you can install the top bar at the back of the desk and it'll give you a few inches of a "back panel" if you wanted to hide cables or something but personally I removed it so I could use a monitor arm that clamps to the back of the table. Otherwise non-existent. Cabinets/shelves/etc? Nope. Grommets/holes/etc? Nope. Height adjustable legs so you can dial it in just how you want it. Mind you, take this "height adjust" with a grain of salt because you have to essentially remove everything from on top of the table, flip it over or on it's side and unbolt the legs, slide them in or out and re-bolt them down and flip it back over. I think of it more like a "set it and forget it" type height adjust. The corners and edges are nicely rounded off but otherwise it's just a huge rectangle which I think is what you want based on that last item. Bring a friend and a large truck/SUV though.

Coredump posted:

Also Gladiator workbench.
Both of these are great options, but losing 5"-6" of depth is unfortunate. They're 24" and 25" respectively. If I switch to a monitor arm it might be viable, but I tend to use those extra inches even for not-monitors. They aren't 100% necessary I guess and everything seems to be a compromise in one way or another.

I really like the durability and potential to adjust height while setting it up. Most office equipment is only rated up to 250lbs. They also have the added bonus of being able to go in my garage or to be used as a literal workbench for soldering and other projects if I decide I want to get another desk later.

landgrabber posted:

exacly this. there's a certain countertop sort of surface you can buy threr for fairly cheap that is fully wood, not particle board. then just buy some nuce legs and do a bi of drilling.
I'll look into this a bit. If I go the "make a desk" route there are lots of options that don't involve Ikea, too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 22, 2018

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

landgrabber posted:

The other day I was at a Menard's, and they had both solid wood table tops and leg choices which, to my memory, were less expensive than IKEA.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Khorne posted:

I'd like:
  • Sturdy

What I did for floating shelving -- and this would work for a desk too -- is bolt steel angle into the studs, run wire from the angle into an MDF board, 3/4". Sturdy as hell. Can hold my weight plus PCs. You need a minimum of 3 wires to constrain the plane, and exactly 6 non-parallel wires (or another attachment to the room's structure), under tension from the board's weight, to exactly constrain it in all 6 degrees of freedom, translational and rotational. If you want an absolute minimum of interference, esp below the desk, just a floating plane for your tech, wire hangs are nice. Its a Home Depot project not Ikea project though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have an old galant that I got second hand that has the extension. Is it possible to remove the old top and replace it with something nicer? I've never dug much into this possibility but the cheap black top on it now is showing its age.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

couldcareless posted:

I have an old galant that I got second hand that has the extension. Is it possible to remove the old top and replace it with something nicer? I've never dug much into this possibility but the cheap black top on it now is showing its age.

I dunno...but you could probably figure that out yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

couldcareless posted:

Go look underneath the desk, doesn't take a lot of engineering skills to figure out how to fasten a new top/plate to the existing legs/frame.