Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Greetings from work on Christmas Eve, which notably was approved as a vacation day for me back in January of this year and was taken away (along with every other vacation day I requested back in january for the remainder of the year) yesterday.

Anyone have some gasoline and a match I can borrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The brokerage industry works today due to the market being open a half day. Our vacations were frozen this year last month and frozen for six months next year by the new guys in charge of the company from TD. Thanks TD!!!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sundae posted:

Sorry, matches are not an approved combustion device, you are going to have to do this by hand.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Sundae posted:

Greetings from work on Christmas Eve, which notably was approved as a vacation day for me back in January of this year and was taken away (along with every other vacation day I requested back in january for the remainder of the year) yesterday.

My company has no holidays. In order to take Christmas day off, I have to burn a PTO day. So yeah, I'm working today too.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Wow, more company in here today than I expected. Happy holidays to everyone, and may all our employers burn in the coming apocalypse.

CHRISTMAS CHEER! :haw:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm working but only because my girlfriend is on overnights for the next 10 days, I'm in a new city with few friends and even fewer who aren't with their families at this point, and oh yeah I work from home and can watch Muppet Family Christmas on repeat and play GTA while waiting for emails (there won't be any from this point on).

My condolences to anyone actually in the office today.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
My boyfriend has to work today :mad: not cool, spirit of corporatism.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
I would have had to work today, but I just used my PTO, cause I'm completely burnt out. I doubt they want me billing my time laying under my desk and weeping.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sundae posted:

What would have happened if you'd had a flight scheduled for your approved PTO that was revoked with 1 day notice?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The 24th-26th and 31st-1st are company holidays. If you want to come in to work, the cafes are all closed down so you'll have to eat off campus.

:toot:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

In the working Christmas eve club as well. Coworker asks if I can take some work off of him while I was sitting at my desk loving around on the internet with the browser full screen on one monitor. I told him I couldn't.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Myself and pretty much everybody I work with just took the two weeks from the 22nd to the 2nd off. We have a company shutdown from Dec 24th to Jan 2nd: we get Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Years off as holidays, and the rest we either have to take PTO, or we don't get paid. You're just straight up not allowed to work on those days. Unless you're in India, of course. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

What would have happened if you'd had a flight scheduled for your approved PTO that was revoked with 1 day notice?

You'd either lose the flight cost if you can't work remotely, or you'd have to work remotely and ignore your relatives.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
We got an email today with various updates from our foreign operations. Apparently they were never told that the C-word is forbidden this year. It is pretty funny to see a series of photographs of people wearing Santa hats, standing around Christmas trees and even holding up banners saying "Merry Christmas" all captioned with references to generic "holidays".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The one good thing about my company is that if you work on holidays, you get 3x base pay. Considering my department needs to be staffed 24/7, everyone tends to fight over who works on holidays to get that extra money.

Though it does worry me when I see people with families they should be spending time with working as much as possible instead. Meanwhile I don't really have anybody to see or anywhere to go but I'd just rather not work, thank you very much. My Holiday bonus covered my Christmas shopping and then some, thank you company!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

And the word is we're staying till 2pm. So much for a half day.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Taliesyn posted:

Sometime I'll relay the story of the Network Admin who ran up a $40,000 (company) cell phone bill in support of the MUD he ran.

:justpost: Was it hellmoo?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

spincube posted:

I think he means the website's 'new password' field won't accept right-click -> Paste or ctrl+V input. It's absolutely hacker_safe.png to have to paste Keepass' output into a Notepad window and painstakingly re-type a string of random characters, symbols and letters every time you want to change your PayPal password!

(my pet peeve is 'enter characters 5, 16 and 24 from your password': like anyone uses anything other than surname123 or similar with those)

Keepass send usernames/passwords as keypresses, not by copypasting. It'll autotype into any field you want it to because as far as the website is concerned it's just regular typing.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Phuzzy posted:

:justpost: Was it hellmoo?

I don't think so - I don't believe the guy was a goon.

Basically, I started at a company that built communication towers. The network admin was some 23 year-old college dropout (I'm not disparaging him, I had to leave college myself) who had convinced the owner he was hot poo poo, despite not knowing a bloody thing about networks. When he set up the office network, he used the slowest machine as the server. This being 2004, he also loved to go on at length about how terrible all versions of Windows other than 98 were, and how it was the only acceptable version to use in an office environment. He especially hated Windows XP.

Anyway, he was ALSO proud that he ran a MUD through the company 'server'. It was some game where you played an officer on a spaceship, in charge of one weapon or engineering or as the captain, and then you fought other players' ships. He was especially proud that he had something like 80 players.

So. That's the setting. A few weeks after I started, due to his less than stellar personality, he got shipped out to California (we were in VA) to help on a major project. About a month later, we got the $40,000 bill for his company cell phone. Apparently he was so concerned about the MUD going offline that he had moved it to his company laptop, and kept the laptop running 24/7 in his hotel room, running the game, and using the cell phone to maintain a constant internet connection. In an era where cell phone internet connections were paid for by the minute....

Needless to say, he got dragged back to VA, screamed at by the CEO, then fired by the owner. From all the screaming back and forth, he apparently thought they were completely unjustified in firing him and was yelling all sorts of threats. I know we got a VERY loud phone call a couple weeks later when his unemployment application was turned down.

Last I ever heard from him, he was about to join the Army. I can only IMAGINE how that went.

And on an entirely different note, Sundae's employer sucks. I'm throwing out every band-aid I still have from them. :argh:

As to holidays, this is the one time where, as I am technically a temp, I have it better than the people I work with. With my contract, I actually get paid holidays. My co-workers, being employees of the company, are required to use 8 hours PTO tomorrow, as the company will be closed but does not provide holiday pay. This is a health insurance company with hundreds of thousands of members - no BCBS, but it's not exactly a tiny company.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 24, 2014

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Put me on the Christmas Eve work crew, though mine was voluntary. My company also considers Dec 24-26 and Dec 31 - Jan 2 to be holidays. I requested to have the 29th and 30th off back in October to fly back home for a decent amount of time. That leaves my 1 remaining coworker to cover everything on the 29th and 30th since 3rd coworker is out on maternity leave. She's pulling her weight, things are going relatively smoothly, but I'm still working 10-12 hour days almost every day out of necessity. So I said I'd come in the office today, tie up a few things, finish some last minute urgent work. I figured I'd be in the office for 2 hours, maybe 3, tops.... 8 hours later I finally got everything to the point that it wouldn't be a mudslide of poo poo on my coworker come Monday. I'll still have to remote into my PC to do some work intermittently while I'm out of town. Normally I wouldn't dream of doing any work on a vacation because that's silly, however I'm being paid OT for any extra hours worked (including all of today!) and for everything I've been doing my boss increased my Christmas bonus by 2.5x. :toot:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 25, 2014

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

I'll just leave this right here:
The Happiest Companies to Work for

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

catspleen posted:

quote:

Voted Happiest Company in America in 2014, Pfizer dropped steeply from their No. 1 position, not even making the top 50 for 2015. Moving up the list was Google, climbing from a ranking of No. 21 last year to No. 6 this year. In a surprising fall, Apple ranked No. 14 last year but dropped to No. 50 for 2015.

So why are pharma companies paying careerbliss to lie on these rankings? loving Pfizer ranked #1?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

yoyomama posted:

So why are pharma companies paying careerbliss to lie on these rankings? loving Pfizer ranked #1?

And now the new #1 is J&J. loving :lol:

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

catspleen posted:

Oh, holy hell. One of the top ten gets LOTS of stories posted on this thread....

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sundae posted:

You'd either lose the flight cost if you can't work remotely, or you'd have to work remotely and ignore your relatives.

Even if it is legal, that would be the shittiest thing to do. How many months left until you walk out? And I can't imagine why you still seem to put it more than the absolute minimum.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

catspleen posted:

OK, either this was rigged or they only talked to one guy in one office park.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

I basically read this thread waiting for the moment that Sundae goes postal.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

catspleen posted:

I feel that the more appropriate URL for that would be about :blank, but holy gently caress, J&J

Zero Gravitas posted:

I basically read this thread waiting for the moment that Sundae goes postal.

I am waiting for the day Sundae quits. We need to crowdfund a GoPro camera for that.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Missing Donut posted:

I am waiting for the day Sundae quits. We need to crowdfund a GoPro camera for that.

In all seriousness, I would chip in :10bux: for that.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Hi Sundae I heard you were thinking about quitting we dont want that to happen. How does a $10 starbucks gift card sound? Waive your pension benefits and we can make it $20.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Hi Sundae I heard you were thinking about quitting we dont want that to happen. How does a $10 starbucks gift card sound? Waive your pension benefits and we can make it $20.

byacceptingdecliningandoracknowledgingtheexistenceofthiscardyouagreetoworkforusforeverandshouldyoueverquityouoweustenmilliondollarsandtwoofyourlimbsalsomathisforbiddenallhailthedarklord

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

yoyomama posted:

The other possibility is that marketing and sales are wayyyy happier than the scientists and engineers. They always did seem to drink the koolaid to me.

My viewpoints are always from r&d or mfg engineering, so there is a bias. That being said, I laughed my rear end off at JnJ and PFE even being on the list.

Six more months.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sundae posted:

The other possibility is that marketing and sales are wayyyy happier than the scientists and engineers. They always did seem to drink the koolaid to me.

My viewpoints are always from r&d or mfg engineering, so there is a bias. That being said, I laughed my rear end off at JnJ and PFE even being on the list.

Six more months.

Sales is typically the happiest employees that arent c level execs. The reason is that they also make the most money in the company besides those c level execs.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Sundae posted:

It could also be the same reason people buy the bread that promises to send five cents per loaf to charity; they get to feel like they're part of doing good without actually having to do anything. They can pretend that being in HR/marketing at a pharmaceutical company means that they're really helping save lives.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Snatch Duster posted:

Sales is typically the happiest employees that arent c level execs. The reason is that they also make the most money in the company besides those c level execs.
Survivor bias in most cases there, sales is brutal to those that don't meet their quotas. The people that aren't fired are the ones that beat their quotas by 100%+ in most F500 parties. The ones that didn't meet it were given pink slips basically or recommended to quit in not so subtle ways. I've known enough of how sales works in enterprise to have respect for the guys that can churn out repeat results for years at a company. Most burn a bridge fast for quick results to try to do the equivalent of getting themselves established in a prison setting to avoid being the bitch, and most of the really good ones aren't working on pooled commissions either, so that leaves us with the really good guys with multi year relationships with their accounts that will keep their mortgages paid and a late model Mercedes or BMW in the driveway.

If you don't have a soul, sales is a wonderful place with great rewards for what you enjoy doing. For everyone else, you have this thread. I could do sales engineering happily if I gave no fucks about my soul, but I'm too much of a nerd to care about a million a year versus a couple hundred thousand a year.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Missing Donut posted:

It could also be the same reason people buy the bread that promises to send five cents per loaf to charity; they get to feel like they're part of doing good without actually having to do anything.

#See #also: #hashtag #"activism"

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

necrobobsledder posted:

Survivor bias in most cases there, sales is brutal to those that don't meet their quotas. The people that aren't fired are the ones that beat their quotas by 100%+ in most F500 parties. The ones that didn't meet it were given pink slips basically or recommended to quit in not so subtle ways. I've known enough of how sales works in enterprise to have respect for the guys that can churn out repeat results for years at a company. Most burn a bridge fast for quick results to try to do the equivalent of getting themselves established in a prison setting to avoid being the bitch, and most of the really good ones aren't working on pooled commissions either, so that leaves us with the really good guys with multi year relationships with their accounts that will keep their mortgages paid and a late model Mercedes or BMW in the driveway.

If you don't have a soul, sales is a wonderful place with great rewards for what you enjoy doing. For everyone else, you have this thread. I could do sales engineering happily if I gave no fucks about my soul, but I'm too much of a nerd to care about a million a year versus a couple hundred thousand a year.

I'm a no soul haver.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

necrobobsledder posted:

Most burn a bridge fast for quick results to try to do the equivalent of getting themselves established in a prison setting to avoid being the bitch, and most of the really good ones aren't working on pooled commissions either, so that leaves us with the really good guys with multi year relationships with their accounts that will keep their mortgages paid and a late model Mercedes or BMW in the driveway.

This is the single biggest problem with the sales target model.

Unless you've been set up for several years you're truly hosed. Most of our sales people will undercut quotes with deep discounts to get sales through the door, the result is when this case comes up for renewal and their discounting is limited the client sees a 20% price increase and starts asking what the gently caress, so they terminate. Agent-Broker relationship is now ruined because they think our sales staff discount the poo poo out of everything.

Termination goals are the worst and I would honestly do away with it and measure something more comprehensive. What ends up happening is that good cases will go out to market and we can either save it or not, however if there is a lovely case that every other insurer declines to quote they'll still threaten to terminate. Great we get a lovely case off our books right? Nope sales has to meet their termination goal this year so lets try to save it in the worse way possible, lets slash their benefits.

Are they going to want to slash benefits they use? Nope lets slash the ones they don't use so we're left with reduced premium and the same amount of claims so we're bringing in less money.
Do they have a realistic price point in mind? Nope they haven't been out to market so they are completely unrealistic so lets slash everything to the bone and 6 months later when they need benefit X or Y we'll waste more time and money putting it back in and they'll bitch about the cost of adding it back in.
Will the sales staff get a bonus for keeping a group that wasn't turning a profit to begin with and they've now pushed into an even worse position? Absolutely.

:smithicide:

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

BigDave posted:

OK, either this was rigged or they only talked to one guy in one office park.

It's not rigged, but is less than accurate. I've never heard of CareerBliss before; it looks like it's new. So I went and looked at their employee review sample sizes for the employers on their top-50 list and found them to be much smaller than Glassdoor, which has been around forever and everyone knows about. Johnson & Johnson has 223 reviews on CB, and 1,500+ on GD. Respectively, J&J has a 4.1/5 rating on CB, and a 3.8 on GD. Glassdoor also has their own top-50 list, and J&J isn't anywhere on it: http://www.glassdoor.com/Best-Places-to-Work-LST_KQ0,19.htm.

Unfortunately, postings made by HR in Glassdoor are making that source of employer info less accurate. A few years ago I worked for a logistics company which was a pretty awful employer. When I was done there I left a 2 out of 5 star review. Their average review then was ~2.4ish. Since then, lots of others have posted similar reviews (Glassdoor sends me an email everytime someone else posts a review), but within a couple days, always seem to be followed by glowing 5/5 star reviews. Their overall rating has now improved to 3.2. My guess is that they have someone in HR keeping an eye on the reviews and after a nasty one gets posted, they create a fake profile to post a 5 star review to compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

spincube posted:

(my pet peeve is 'enter characters 5, 16 and 24 from your password': like anyone uses anything other than surname123 or similar with those)
you loving what

is this common? We certainly don't do it! I'd pretty much have to write out my password on a Post-It note to be able to figure that poo poo out without hitting "you failed to login twice, your account is now locked until you call the help desk to unlock it"

Sydin posted:

My guess is that they have someone in HR keeping an eye on the [Glassdoor] reviews and after a nasty one gets posted, they create a fake profile to post a 5 star review to compensate.
poo poo, that's what C-levels think "Social Media engagement" means. They probably don't even think of it as lying, because of course the company that pays them millions every year is a great place to work, and why shouldn't they let everyone know it?