Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Zewle posted:

How would I go about commissioning art for something like an album?

Post a thread in SA-Mart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
Why do so many English recording artists sing with very standard American accents? Do their British fans ever get pissed about this?

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Giant Squid posted:

Why do so many English recording artists sing with very standard American accents? Do their British fans ever get pissed about this?

I remember John Lennon saying that everyone sang in American accents back when because they wanted to sound like the records they played, like Elvis.

Not all English artists do. Pink Floyd for example, but most do - as well as here in Australia.

It's the mindless zeitgeist of cultural dominance.
:goonsay:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

tarepanda posted:

Post a thread in SA-Mart?

If you want 10 mediocre/awful submissions and then them trying to get you banned when you don't pay for one of them.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Zewle posted:

How would I go about commissioning art for something like an album?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1450923

Or go out IRL and find someone whose art you like at shows, or in student galleries at a university near you who might even be interested in portfolio work. Basically make contact with someone with a cool style and see what they think.

ANMAN
May 24, 2007
ehhh...meh
Is there an affordable keyboard+mouse for the PS3? Like under $40 (hopefully) or should I just break down and try to hone my skills with the joy nipples. I ask because I've played Madden for over a decade with the keyboard and mouse...plus it's better for FPS.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor

Pweller posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1450923

Or go out IRL and find someone whose art you like at shows, or in student galleries at a university near you who might even be interested in portfolio work. Basically make contact with someone with a cool style and see what they think.

That's a good idea, thanks.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SlightButSteady posted:

I remember John Lennon saying that everyone sang in American accents back when because they wanted to sound like the records they played, like Elvis.
Some of it is also the weird way accents seem to be moderated by singing - even most American singers seem to converge on a single standard accent. For non-Americans, I wouldn't be surprised if some of it is the desire to be more globally marketable too, and since America is the dominant pop cultural superpower....

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

There was a series of these discussing the building's viability as a zombie fortress, does anyone have the one with the pile of zombies forming beneath it? (image threads kill the modem I'm using atm)

edit - here is the last one for reference:

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 17, 2011

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I have annoying bird song in the morning, and it is waking me up EVERY morning. I have rigged up my iPhone to my 5.1 surround sound and will be using my iGun application to hopefully scare birds away.

Would the 'electronic' sound have the same effect as a real gun would have (ala a farmer scaring away crows)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is there an estimated percentage of people who have died as virgins somewhere? I was arguing with someone about this before. I thought higher, he thought lower, but we both agreed that it probably wasn't a very high number.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

simosimo posted:

I have annoying bird song in the morning, and it is waking me up EVERY morning. I have rigged up my iPhone to my 5.1 surround sound and will be using my iGun application to hopefully scare birds away.

Would the 'electronic' sound have the same effect as a real gun would have (ala a farmer scaring away crows)

No, for the same reason that a farmer using the noise of a gun to scare crows doesn't work permanently--the birds will become acclimated to the noise (and sooner than you'd think), correctly interpreting it and mentally filing it under "non-lethal; ignore", and will ignore it.

Where do you live, and what kind of bird is it? This is the key to your problem.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

simosimo posted:

It's the sudden loud noise that scares the birds, not anything special about a gun, so I don't doubt that your iGun app would work just fine if it's loud enough.

(With, of course, Fig Newton's caveat that it's going to get strikingly less effective over time.)

change my name posted:

Is there an estimated percentage of people who have died as virgins somewhere? I was arguing with someone about this before. I thought higher, he thought lower, but we both agreed that it probably wasn't a very high number.

Are you including infant and child mortality? That skews the number far, far higher than simply including mortality of people who've at least reached puberty.

That said, no, I'm not aware of any organization that would make that kind of estimate. It's possible that you might be able to find an estimate of the percentage of people who are sexually-active and reverse-engineer from that.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Is there a thread about spotify? I'm not looking for an invite, just peoples experiences with the paid version/app but I cant find one. $10/mo isn't bad for free, legal music if the app is good.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Besesoth posted:

Are you including infant and child mortality? That skews the number far, far higher than simply including mortality of people who've at least reached puberty.

That said, no, I'm not aware of any organization that would make that kind of estimate. It's possible that you might be able to find an estimate of the percentage of people who are sexually-active and reverse-engineer from that.

Whoops, probably should've said "percentage of people who have reach sexual maturity and died as virgins"

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Fig Newton posted:

No, for the same reason that a farmer using the noise of a gun to scare crows doesn't work permanently--the birds will become acclimated to the noise (and sooner than you'd think), correctly interpreting it and mentally filing it under "non-lethal; ignore", and will ignore it.

Where do you live, and what kind of bird is it? This is the key to your problem.

I live in the South east of England in Kent. I don't know. But it's two songs, and I'm guessing it's two types of birds.

One is a constant chip-chip-cheep-chip-chip-chip-chip...like a continuous (monotonous) high pitched tone with no rhythm or styling.

Another is, i'm guessing it's a larger bird like a crow. It makes a spaced out, but rather horrible sound like.....

KARRRR................KARRRRRRRRRR............................KARRRRRR.......

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This is a seriously :goonsay: question, but gently caress it...

It's 2.10am here. At 12.45am, I ordered a pizza from Domino's website (that's Dominos Australia). I waited fairly patiently for an hour and a bit, then tried to call their main number to see where my pizza was.

The main number redirected to my local store, which just rang out. Checking their "store finder" on the website, my local store apparently closes at 11pm.

That didn't stop them billing me for the pizza, which I've confirmed via my bank's website.

At no time did the ordering website say anything about store hours. In fact, it estimated my pizza's arrival time at 1am.

Am I likely to even get my money back? At this point I don't even want the drat pizza, I just want to go to bed.

I left polite feedback on their "contact us" form, but god drat, that's poor design.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 17, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

AlphaDog posted:

Am I likely to even get my money back? At this point I don't even want the drat pizza, I just want to go to bed.

I should hope so, especially if you paid with a credit card. This is outright theft if they don't refund you. Call in the morning.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

simosimo posted:

Wouldn't that also wake you up?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

Yes, but it's 2am, don't expect your money to be refunded right away.

Just call them up in the morning.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I'm making an Android card game application. Is it against copyright law to scan a deck of Bicycle cards and use the scans as graphics in the game? I'm guessing it's not, but I'd rather play it safe and ask some random people on the internet.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

gwar3k1 posted:

Wouldn't that also wake you up?

Probably! I've come to the conclusion of rigging up the Iphone to my surround sound and using it as a sleeping aid. I've come across an App which generates dynamic thunder/rain storms, and it sounds very convincing coming through real speakers, so hopefully that will drown out stupid background noise. Plus I love rain!

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

simosimo posted:

I live in the South east of England in Kent. I don't know. But it's two songs, and I'm guessing it's two types of birds.

One is a constant chip-chip-cheep-chip-chip-chip-chip...like a continuous (monotonous) high pitched tone with no rhythm or styling.

Another is, i'm guessing it's a larger bird like a crow. It makes a spaced out, but rather horrible sound like.....

KARRRR................KARRRRRRRRRR............................KARRRRRR.......

First one could be a chipmunk, not sure what the urban wildlife is like in Kent but I've got an annoying chipmunk outside my window in the morning that sounds a lot like a bird until you see him sitting there chirping away like a jerk when you're trying to sleep.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LargeHadron posted:

I'm making an Android card game application. Is it against copyright law to scan a deck of Bicycle cards and use the scans as graphics in the game? I'm guessing it's not, but I'd rather play it safe and ask some random people on the internet.

I'm almost positive the design of a Bicycle playing card is copyrighted.
Especially if you're planning on using it for commercial purposes, you could be in some deep poo poo.

EDIT: I'm feeling extra helpful today. Here's what it says on Bicycle's packages:
"We claim exclusive trade mark rights in Ace of Spades, Joker, name, number, back design, case design, and name of finish used on our various cards."

Now, you can't claim the copyright on the image of a King, Queen, Spade or number 6, but you can claim copyright on an artist's rendition of those items, which Bicycle most certainly has copyrights for. The "Bicycle look" is pretty specific from other cards I've seen.

Lastly, here's a set of free, open source playing card images you can use in your app.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 17, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shenadigins posted:

There was a series of these discussing the building's viability as a zombie fortress, does anyone have the one with the pile of zombies forming beneath it? (image threads kill the modem I'm using atm)

edit - here is the last one for reference:

This one?

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

simosimo posted:

I live in the South east of England in Kent.

Welp, UK. I have no idea, sorry.

...but I *do* know some people to ask, thanks to the glory that is the Internet.

http://www.kentos.org.uk/

Browse around their website; there are meetings, there are emails of people to contact, there are forums, whatever suits your taste. They'll know exactly what kind of bird it is, plus how to combat it.

Be aware that these folks are, by definition, birdlovers, so probably it's a bad idea to go in there with, "MUST. KILL. BIRDS!!" or else they won't talk to you at all. But a polite, "I was wondering what kind of birds these are that are waking me up every morning" will be met with enthusiasm, plus answered in about 2 seconds flat.

Then once you know what kind of birds they are, you can continue the conversation with, "...and how do I keep them from waking me up every morning?"

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Thanks. Those cards are a little bit hideous though. I think I'll search around a bit for some different styles.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

LargeHadron posted:

Thanks. Those cards are a little bit hideous though. I think I'll search around a bit for some different styles.

Why don't you contact Bicycle and ask them for permission? They might say yes.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

marshmallard posted:

Why don't you contact Bicycle and ask them for permission? They might say yes.

Odds of success for use in a commercial application: 0.00001%

Odds of receiving a cease and desist letter: pretty good.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

I found this: http://code.google.com/p/vectorized-playing-cards/

I sent the creator an email asking about copyrights (since the card faces look identical to Bicycle card faces). He replied with this:

Guy who made the vector images posted:

I'm not a copyright lawyer, so cannot guarantee you this 100%.

However, to the best of my knowledge these faces are not copyrighted and are used by other companies, not just the creator of bicycles. I've done copyright searches and nothing concerning the faces shown seems to available showing that they are copyrighted.

The unique AS, Joker and bicycle back designs are certainly trademarked (which can be seen in online trademark searches) and of course I do not use them. This can be seen on the actual box case of each bicycle deck.

Other companies (including some very large stock photo houses) have been selling their versions of this exact set for years and I haven't seen them taken down for copyright violations.

This guy has been selling his version of the exact same faces for a while now. Perhaps you could tell him you're a potential customer and posit your copyright query to him.

http://www.lybrary.com/standard-american-card-faces-p-33036.html

I know of at least one app for iphone/ipad that is already using my set which has supposedly sold well in the netherlands with no issues.

I doubt these would work very well on a tiny phone screen without some major work. I hope to create a vector set optimized for phones and so on eventually, but it will probably be at least 6 months for that as it'll be a lot of work.

I'll probably just end up using these. The worst that would happen is a cease and desist letter, but I imagine that's unlikely anyways. I think.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
That's the first time I've noticed that only 1 king is one-eyed. And then read wayyy too much about the details of the standard English deck.

Someone should make a deck of cards with card art trivia on each one.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Anyone know what accent this is? Some people say it's the Virginia Piedmont dialect, but it sounds nothing like it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Spermando posted:

Anyone know what accent this is? Some people say it's the Virginia Piedmont dialect, but it sounds nothing like it.

Transatlantic?

http://abagond.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/transatlantic-accent/

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Spermando posted:

Georgia.

Lester B. Pearson
Jul 4, 2007

Free Marc Emery
and all other
political prisoners!

That didn't sound anything like the accent in the clip he posted to. I also doubt someone with a transatlantic accent would say 'I reckon' since the link you posted says "The accent comes from American boarding schools in New England where students were taught to speak English in more of an RP or high-class British way." and the one in the video was southern of some kind.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Appalachian?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Loopyface posted:

Georgia.

This or maybe Mississippi, it's definitely Southern old-money.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yeah, you have to get down into South Carolina before someone would say hooker as "huh-kuh" instead of "huh-ker"

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I am looking for a fish, my parents cooked it for me when I was young. They are tiny white fish, like a little bigger than an ant, and you get them and fry them in batter to form a patty. They called ti ti ri, but I don't know the official name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

b0nes posted:

I am looking for a fish, my parents cooked it for me when I was young. They are tiny white fish, like a little bigger than an ant, and you get them and fry them in batter to form a patty. They called ti ti ri, but I don't know the official name.

http://www.lennoxhonychurch.com/heritage.cfm?Id=255

First result for "titiri fish."