Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Rarity posted:

That would be when I was at university. Students are legally required to watch the Hollyoaks omnibus while hungover on Sunday mornings.

I never watched Hollyoaks at uni, but the second I got a full-time job and didn't have endless free time I watched it every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

That would be when I was at university. Students are legally required to watch the Hollyoaks omnibus while hungover on Sunday mornings.

Sixth form house at secondary school. It was on after The Simpsons and the girls refused to let us turn it off.

I watched the first two seasons of Desperate Housewives for a similar reason. Girls :argh:

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Holy crap Spooks. That was....actually not that great. But it had enough emotional currency saved up that I started feeling a bit misty eyed.

Yeah this season wasn't the greatest, but I thought they wrapped it up in an ok way. I'm comfortable enough in my manliness to admit to a bit of misty eyedness at the end. :colbert:

Also Matthew MacFadyen out of nowhere!

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I'm currently catching this week's episode of HIGNFY. I finally know who people are talking about. That woman is truly horrible, but she is good for providing the regulars with something to bounce off. I don't think she's really much of a follow-up for Boris, she lacks any real charm (besides looks) and isn't particularly funny. Not really "LEGEND" material.

Rarity posted:

Hollyoaks has always been ace. How about when Creepy Will filmed his girlfriend 24/7 and tricked Kris into believing he had AIDS? Or Toby turning into a serial killer? Or Fletch and Sasha getting addicted to heroin? Or Sam and Andy the date-rapists? Or JP and Craig's eternal gay love affair? Epic stuff.

How about the one where Niall -the prodigal McQueen- returned, integrated himself into the lives of the family, then locked them all in an explosive-rigged church, which then completely collapsed, killing only one person?

That was actually where I stopped watching, because it was on par with the Neighbours arc with the sabotaged plane that somehow contained the entirety of Ramsay Street, which crashed, killing only two new characters whose children could be adopted by the Susan, whose house has over time become the street's resident orphanage.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Since this thread has turned into Hollyoaks chat (it owns) did that woman really get raped or what by that dude, Gilly?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Since this thread has turned into Hollyoaks chat (it owns) did that woman really get raped or what by that dude, Gilly?

Facebook said no.

No, seriously. They got a bunch of viewers in to be "the jury" and they decided he didn't do it.

This thread should do Hollyoakschat more often.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
Has anyone seen that French show they've put up on iPlayer, Women?

I'm not wholly sure what to make of it. Some of the sketches are very funny, but a lot of them rely on complete non-sequiturs and random wackiness. Still worth watching mind, if only for the one sketch where a woman trolls some dude who's raging about her bumping into his car.

Also, I've just started going through the series catch-up on Great British Bake-Off. How did I not watch this show before :3:

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

I'm not wholly sure what to make of it. Some of the sketches are very funny, but a lot of them rely on complete non-sequiturs and random wackiness. Still worth watching mind, if only for the one sketch where a woman trolls some dude who's raging about her bumping into his car.

I saw it on the iplayer and put it on deliberately in order to test my flatmates on their front room misogyny because I am very difficult to live with and that is the sort of thing I do. Not a peep out of either of them. They're learning. It was alright! Never seen a french comedy show before, and I think most of the humour translated well enough. It's no Smack The Pony though :britain:

Also, I've just started going through the series catch-up on Great British Bake-Off. How did I not watch this show before :3:

Ahhhh my child, welcome to the fold.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

I've never heard of this, watching it now. It's pretty good. Five minutes in and I've already had a few good laughs. Smack the Pony kind of vibe.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

eating only apples posted:

This thread should do Hollyoakschat more often.

Brooker does rip into hollyoaks with some choice scenes here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0JL4FmPsc

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

lorn Wayne posted:

Yeah this season wasn't the greatest, but I thought they wrapped it up in an ok way. I'm comfortable enough in my manliness to admit to a bit of misty eyedness at the end. :colbert:

I did really enjoy the Tom cameo, I knew he wasn't dead!

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

This is hilarious, thanks for the heads up. I think it's closer to The Sketch Show than Smack the Pony (in that it's actually funny). The cast are all terrific and a few of the sketches had me in stitches. Also: tits!

Pro-click zone: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016d3t2/Women!_Episode_1/

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

lorn Wayne posted:

The room I was in went absolutely wild when he appeared. Except for the one Spooks novice who loudly declared "who the hell is that? What's going on?"

I think Ruth's death was a bit crap though, felt like an afterthought. If they'd had it occur during the plane crisis it would have felt like a better part of the episode. Sasha's journey from hating the evil mother who betrayed him to avenging her death on the people only slightly connected to it felt a bit strange though.

Was the wall at the end every dead Spook? I only recognised a few of the names, and Tariq was noticeably absent. I still miss Danny and Zoe. Season 3 was such a bloodbath, never seen anything quite like it.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 24, 2011

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'll miss Spooks. It peaked a few seasons ago but I still liked it, I hope something similar gets made.

Zaf's death was the one I always felt bad about. Kidnapped in episode 1 of a season, barely got a passing mention throughout, and then at the end of the season... oh yeah he was tortured for months and slowly died, storyline over, tune in next year!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

marktheando posted:

I must have missed what Brian Cos did that makes him an 'annoyingly militant' atheist. Is it just because he sometimes talks about his views publicly and sometimes makes fun of some of the more ridiculously ignorant religious people?

This. I'm sick of being called this myself, especially when there are so many religious people who try and push their views onto other people.

Atheists/humanists/whatever aren't pushing anything. Just telling you to open your mind and think for yourself.

And if you're one of those people that think Atheism is like a religion then that is stupid.

And I'll say it again: London has Boris for a mayor solely because of HIGNFY, in my opinion. Which is why it's annoying when Hislop has a go at him. He was instrumental in putting him in that position.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

thehustler posted:

And I'll say it again: London has Boris for a mayor solely because of HIGNFY, in my opinion. Which is why it's annoying when Hislop has a go at him. He was instrumental in putting him in that position.

You can't blame Hislop for Londoners being stupid enough to vote for a joke mayor.

:colbert:

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

thehustler posted:

This. I'm sick of being called this myself, especially when there are so many religious people who try and push their views onto other people.

Atheists/humanists/whatever aren't pushing anything. Just telling you to open your mind and think for yourself.

And if you're one of those people that think Atheism is like a religion then that is stupid.

There are militant atheists who go on about it and annoy everyone, and atheists sometimes talk about what they believe when the subject comes up, and Brian Cox is, as far as I know, in the second camp.

Actually, wait a minute, don't I remember reading that he basically didn't care?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The room I was in went absolutely wild when he appeared. Except for the one Spooks novice who loudly declared "who the hell is that? What's going on?"

I think Ruth's death was a bit crap though, felt like an afterthought. If they'd had it occur during the plane crisis it would have felt like a better part of the episode. Sasha's journey from hating the evil mother who betrayed him to avenging her death on the people only slightly connected to it felt a bit strange though.

Was the wall at the end every dead Spook? I only recognised a few of the names, and Tariq was noticeably absent. I still miss Danny and Zoe. Season 3 was such a bloodbath, never seen anything quite like it.

As far as I can tell it had the name of every dead character (including Tariq). Some were a bit hard to spot because of the light background, but I actually rewound it and found everyone :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jonnty posted:

There are militant atheists who go on about it and annoy everyone, and atheists sometimes talk about what they believe when the subject comes up, and Brian Cox is, as far as I know, in the second camp.

Actually, wait a minute, don't I remember reading that he basically didn't care?

I think that as a rule he doesn't care what people believe or don't believe, he just gets pissed off about obviously retarded pseudo-science and pro-religious discrimination at the expense of other ways of thinking. Because that poo poo is directly damaging to people.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

thehustler posted:

I think that as a rule he doesn't care what people believe or don't believe, he just gets pissed off about obviously retarded pseudo-science and pro-religious discrimination at the expense of other ways of thinking. Because that poo poo is directly damaging to people.

Yeah, sounds about right, he says he's "anti-maniac not anti-religion."

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Akuma posted:

Someone I know is in the process of selling their house for 400k+, outside London. They're not rich (although they're obviously not poor) and it's not some mansion.

Edit: Remember that people usually don't pay for those things outright; they get mortgages just like you do when you're buying an existing house.
FYI: A couple earning the median full-time salary of £25k each could not get a mortgage for anything approaching £400k unless they had cash for a deposit massively over the normal level.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Cerv posted:

FYI: A couple earning the median full-time salary of £25k each could not get a mortgage for anything approaching £400k unless they had cash for a deposit massively over the normal level.

‎'In the Nineties, the average person setting aside 5 per cent of their income each week could save up for a deposit on a house after eight years. Today, it would take the same person 47 years to get a deposit.'

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jonnty posted:

Yeah, sounds about right, he says he's "anti-maniac not anti-religion."

That is a perfect description, and is very similar to the thinking of most atheists. But the religious people and right-wingers want to make out like we're trying to loving destroy all religion and that we think any believers are idiots.

It is very strawman-like and *immensely* frustrating, because it makes it very hard to debate anything.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Cerv posted:

It's all skewed by the fact that those same people could have bought a house in the 90s and have it sell for so much more now. If people are starting from scratch now there is no way they could ever get anywhere near those numbers.

Spooks - I think if nothing else the wall of agents really brought it home - this has been a really brutal 10 seasons - Spooks is not an easy show on the characters.

HIGNFY - I'm watching it now and I think everyones being a bit unfair on Louise - she's an odious person but anyone else making the (admittedly obvious) point of the protestors buying huge amounts of expensive coffee from an international firm which almost embodies capitalism would get a laugh. Still, she is horrible.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Red Oktober posted:

HIGNFY - I'm watching it now and I think everyones being a bit unfair on Louise - she's an odious person but anyone else making the (admittedly obvious) point of the protestors buying huge amounts of expensive coffee from an international firm which almost embodies capitalism would get a laugh. Still, she is horrible.

She did get a laugh the first time she made that comment, it was the way she brought it up again and again making smug comments on the protests rather than being humorous which prompted the response from the others.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, she wasn't doing it as a joke, which would be pretty weak anyway, she was pushing it as a talking point designed to undermine legitimate protest. That is why they derided her and turned, uncharacteristically in Merton's case, on her.

Just like her last appearance, she was trying to win political points instead of treating it as a comedy half hour. Not surprising given just how objectively despicable her beliefs are.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Hello, just a reminder that Young (Junior) Apprentice starts tonight and we have a thread over here :). It'll wind up being the Apprentice megathread as we'll be doing simulwatchathons afterwards. Come join in!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, she wasn't doing it as a joke, which would be pretty weak anyway, she was pushing it as a talking point designed to undermine legitimate protest. That is why they derided her and turned, uncharacteristically in Merton's case, on her.

Just like her last appearance, she was trying to win political points instead of treating it as a comedy half hour. Not surprising given just how objectively despicable her beliefs are.

Also her attempts to completely exonerate the various Tory scandals of the week were weak as hell.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Oh, I agree entirely, it seems she was there (at least in her own mind) as a representative of the Tory party, and not to contribute humour, and I thought the digging at her started immediately, not when she brought it up again. I could be wrong on that count though, and I don't feel like rewatching the episode to check.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Red Oktober posted:

Oh, I agree entirely, it seems she was there (at least in her own mind) as a representative of the Tory party, and not to contribute humour, and I thought the digging at her started immediately, not when she brought it up again. I could be wrong on that count though, and I don't feel like rewatching the episode to check.

It's Have I got news for you not Question Time the aim of the show is to make topical jokes not to sell the party line.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
On the other hand Mensch was completely right that most of the coverage about Liam Fox was directed by an undercurrent of homophobia, rather than chasing down all the bad things he'd done. It's always so annoying when people like her end up being on the right side of something.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

cloudchamber posted:

It's Have I got news for you not Question Time the aim of the show is to make topical jokes not to sell the party line.

Oh yeah, 100%, she was completely wrong to be acting like she was.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Adam and Joe, with Louis Theroux, before they were famous, dancing to Groove Is In the Heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taUqt_E0aOs

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Adam and Joe, with Louis Theroux, before they were famous, dancing to Groove Is In the Heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taUqt_E0aOs

:swoon:

Adorkable! (Also, either Louis Theroux has not aged, or perhaps he's one of those people who looked 35 even as a teenager)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

On the other hand Mensch was completely right that most of the coverage about Liam Fox was directed by an undercurrent of homophobia, rather than chasing down all the bad things he'd done. It's always so annoying when people like her end up being on the right side of something.

I disagree. While the homosexual angle was certainly played up, I think it would have been exactly the same if Werrety had been a woman. It's a straight up and down classical Tory corruption scandal with sexual innuendo to spice it up.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Red Oktober posted:

What the gently caress are they supposed to do, crawl their way to Latin America, pick their own beans, come back and then grind them into powder using nothing but the sticks and stones that are around them? Get a grip, the digging started immediately because her statements were so absurdly stupid and ignorant.

From her point of view, you can't ever post a dissenting opinion on capitalism if you own or use anything that was produced by capitalism. Which, by the way, is almost everything. :suicide:

Are you starting to see why she was ridiculed the way she was? She deserved every bloody bit of it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I disagree. While the homosexual angle was certainly played up, I think it would have been exactly the same if Werrety had been a woman. It's a straight up and down classical Tory corruption scandal with sexual innuendo to spice it up.

There would have been a hell of a lot more innuendo if Werrety was a woman, the papers would have dug up old boyfriends and printed salacious stories about 'saucy romps'.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kin posted:

What the gently caress are they supposed to do, crawl their way to Latin America, pick their own beans, come back and then grind them into powder using nothing but the sticks and stones that are around them? Get a grip, the digging started immediately because her statements were so absurdly stupid and ignorant.

From her point of view, you can't ever post a dissenting opinion on capitalism if you own or use anything that was produced by capitalism. Which, by the way, is almost everything. :suicide:

Are you starting to see why she was ridiculed the way she was? She deserved every bloody bit of it.

Haha, I feel that my views haven't come across on this at all - I agree with them to ridicule her, I agree that she was a poo poo contestant, I just think that everyone would have just chuckled and let it pass had it been someone else saying it.

It's not that people are using goods made by a capitalist society - it's that there are few companies which personify capitalism as much as Starbucks. It's hardly an original thought to draw the link of course - Forbes are doing it right now: http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterleeds/2011/10/24/can-you-occupy-wall-street-with-a-starbucks-in-your-hand/

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Forbes are far more pro-business and pro-capitalist than the furthest right of the Conservative party though, it's in their interest to spin the Occupy movement as negatively as possible.

I hate the argument she used. Painting the protestors as hypocritical means you don't have to respond to the main point. If the argument is "How can they rail against capitalist greed when they engage in capitalism?", then you're in fact saying that they shouldn't be protesting against the excesses of capitalism at all. They don't want to admit that they support the system, so they try to focus on the faults of the protest.

Although, as massive corporations go Starbucks is one of the most respectable in terms of social responsibilty anyway (depending on your views on Israel). You can rail against Starbucks for homogeny and gentrification all you want, but as a symbol of evil corporations I can't think of any that are less deserving (or should I say don't deserve it more). They are a gigantic corporation and you don't get there without some questionable ethics, but they also do a lot that should can be applauded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Hislop said it best when he couldn't even be bothered to respond because it was so obvious.