Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

There's no such thing as a free lunch regardless of your economic persuasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sure there is, just be born somewhere with a robust welfare state and then refuse to really try to hold down a job. It is a lovely life no doubt but if all you want to do is read library books and eat modestly then I am sure it is feasible in huge chunks of europe.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bunnielab posted:

Yeah, losing 75% of your income to taxes make socialized medicine seem a little less cool.

I disagree. I make a lot of money, and I feel like I don't pay enough in taxes. In particular, the mortgage interest deduction seems like an insanely generous hand-out to the already wealthy.

I'm a pro-business kinda guy, but on the health-care issue I am FULL commie... free healthcare for all, it couldn't possibly be more expensive then the current mess.
Besides, free health care would be the best thing for small businesses, ever. Maybe line cooks would actually be able to take a sick day once in a while.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Ding ding ding! Well said.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

Yeah, losing 75% of your income to taxes make socialized medicine seem a little less cool.

just fyi

UK tax rates

US tax rates

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo we're spending pretty much exactly the same amount of money proportionally on healthcare right now out of our taxpayer dollars, and we have lovely non-existent healthcare. =(

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 29, 2013

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

also lol 75%?

One of the TFR posters is from Norway and he seemed to indicate that the rate was somewhere around 60-75%. They also get free education into the mix as well as all the moose meat they can eat.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Is government moose as lovely as government cheese?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

bunnielab posted:

It cost me $3k out of pocket to remove a baseball sized cyst from my thigh. Insurance wouldn't cover it because the surgeon said there was no way it grew that fast in a year, must have been pre-existing. I never did pay that, because gently caress that poo poo.

I'd gladly pay 40-50% in taxes to not have to worry about my health. poo poo, I already pay about 12% of my monthly income in insurance as it is, with a 2k deductible. Although work does contribute $500/yr to a CDHP.

e: As soon as my wife can get a decent foothold in her career, we are totally moving to Norway. We both took 2 semesters of Norwegian, and a cook can find a job anywhere, right?

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 29, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
What is this, D&D? :colbert:

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Doh004 posted:

What is this, D&D? :colbert:

No. What Chef de Cuisinart failed to mention was that he later cooked and ate the cyst.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Skrill.exe posted:

No. What Chef de Cuisinart failed to mention was that he later cooked and ate the cyst.

I did elect to stay awake for the procedure and watch. It was pretty cool.

e: wouldn't let me film it though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I did elect to stay awake for the procedure and watch. It was pretty cool.

e: wouldn't let me film it though.

I'm not sure whether to be disgusted or awed. I have a love/hate relationship with things like cysts. They're gross but kind of...compelling?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
man lol, paula deen is getting an asspounding

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/29/business/media/publisher-drops-book-deal-with-tv-chef-paula-deen.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

quote:

Since last week, the Food Network, Smithfield Foods, Walmart, Target, Caesars Entertainment, QVC and the pharmaceutical company Novo Nordisk have decided to suspend or sever ties with Ms. Deen after her admission in a legal deposition that she had used racist language in the past and allowed racist, sexist, homophobic and anti-Semitic jokes in one of her restaurants. Ms. Deen was deposed on video as part of a discrimination lawsuit filed last year by a former employee.

that's a lotttt of contracts drying up. hope you got yo house in order gurrl

I mean the food network, smithfield food, and walmart? getting angry about paula deen? this is like a greatest hits list of 'companies that have no ethical, moral, sexual, racial, class, sustainable, political, or tasteful mores whatsoever'. you know it's bad when they're firing you for being publicly unseemly.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 29, 2013

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
I cooked a good carbonara tonight for the first time in my life and I feel like a loving god.

And really, I have this forum to thank for that. I seriously feel like I've become a better cook since I've started coming here.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Down With People posted:

I cooked a good carbonara tonight for the first time in my life and I feel like a loving god.

And really, I have this forum to thank for that. I seriously feel like I've become a better cook since I've started coming here.

<3

it's what we here for

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
English question...

Is the word 'infidels' associated with any particular ethnic group, or is it universal enough to describe any group holding beliefs that are different than your own?

Asking because I got a weird reaction on using it in a presentation the other day.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

English question...

Is the word 'infidels' associated with any particular ethnic group, or is it universal enough to describe any group holding beliefs that are different than your own?

Asking because I got a weird reaction on using it in a presentation the other day.

I associate infidels with not-so-vigilant christians/zionists mostly? Like someone who has a strong opinion about How Things Should Be, but doesn't really follow those principles in practice.

I think the concept of infidelity has mostly to do with adherence to a specific sexual/religious/moral code, so that's I guess the basis. Like if you were really particular about your marriage ceremony and insisted on a bunch of flowerly virgin language and insisted your bride wore white, but you'd actually hosed her a million times and it was all just for show, but got angry if anyone implied as much, you'd be an infidel?

I realize if you just look up the definition of infidel, you'll get a slightly different interpretation, but that's how I understand the word in the southeastern united states.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 29, 2013

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012

Down With People posted:

Hey, what a coincidence. Tonight my buddy and I made carbonara for the first time, and while it probably didn't turn out as well as yours, it was an interesting experience.

Brings up a related question, though: because of misjudging timing we ended up overdoing the noodles while waiting for the bacon to cook thoroughly. When you find yourself in a situation where you have to hold noodles at a high temperature without overcooking it, what do you do?

(The obvious solution is to better map out cooking times; we're novice cooks so we're winging it most of the time, but we're learning!)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Happy Hat posted:

English question...

Is the word 'infidels' associated with any particular ethnic group
Anyone who doesn't worship one (true) god?
Atheists, agnostics?

What I mean is strict followers of judeo-christian-islamic AKA Abrahamic religions, would call the above and followers of any other religion "infidels", unfaithful to their one true god.

edit: CoE :v:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 29, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I would day that today infidel is most commonly associated with Islamic extremists using it to describe non-Muslims, eg Americans on military bases in Saudi Arabia would be described as infidels. I don't know how it is used by extreme Christians in the US.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

KirbyJ posted:

Brings up a related question, though: because of misjudging timing we ended up overdoing the noodles while waiting for the bacon to cook thoroughly. When you find yourself in a situation where you have to hold noodles at a high temperature without overcooking it, what do you do?

Pre-cook your noodles and hold them cold. Then just add them to the pan when everything else is nearly done, add a splash of wine/stock/water to heat up your noodles quickly and that's it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

KirbyJ posted:

Hey, what a coincidence. Tonight my buddy and I made carbonara for the first time, and while it probably didn't turn out as well as yours, it was an interesting experience.

(The obvious solution is to better map out cooking times; we're novice cooks so we're winging it most of the time, but we're learning!)
You can't - you should only drop your pasta into the pot when you know you've got your other stuff ready (you can cook the bacon way before the noodles are done). In this specific scenario I would have finished the dish without the bacon, adding whatever bacon fat I could from the bacon pan, and then added the bacon once it was ready (cleaning up my kitchen while waiting).

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

therattle posted:

I would day that today infidel is most commonly associated with Islamic extremists using it to describe non-Muslims, eg Americans on military bases in Saudi Arabia would be described as infidels. I don't know how it is used by extreme Christians in the US.

Anti-Islam people tend to use it as a term for themselves these days.

Also Mindphlux, that chart is a little out of date. In the UK you pay no tax on the first £9,440, then 20% from there to £35,000, then 40% from there to £150,000, then notionally 50% after that but people in that tax band tend to be contractors for their own companies which do not exist in any country apart from a PO box in the Virgin Islands.

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 29, 2013

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I get to teach my boss how to use chopsticks tonight while getting drunk. That should be fun.

Also Happy Hat, I'd never use infidel in a sentence unless I was directly quoting someone. Although given your use of colorful language in the office, I applaud your use of it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What were you referring to when you used the word infidel, Happy Hat?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

What were you referring to when you used the word infidel, Happy Hat?

We had a situation where a hardware vendor and software vendor were blaming eachother for an issue we have...

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Popularly, right now in English people use infidel as the word they assume radical Muslims use to describe non-Muslims. More traditionally "infidel" is a word used in the Abrahamic religions to describe a non-believer that is worse than a heathen, in that heathens are assumed to be ignorant of the Word of God, whereas infidels have been exposed to the Word, but have not followed it. But yeah it's fairly strongly associated with cartoony Evil Muslims (as in, they call people that) these days.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Had boudin noir and chartreuse for lunch, followed by a zillion saisons while I waited for an audition. AND they had soccer on the tv. AND the audition went well. A good day.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Such a good day, I double posted!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Speaking of good days, I'm a bit drunk and I'm now eating out of a bag of mini chocolate and peanut butter chips.

It is a Good Snack.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Had boudin noir and chartreuse for lunch, followed by a zillion saisons while I waited for an audition. AND they had soccer on the tv. AND the audition went well. A good day.

that actually does sound like a lovely day. my weekend has sucked, I'll live vicariously through you. (and vats of wine)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

English question...

Not a particular group, but its (almost) always religious in connotation, and a serious condemnation. Next time try heathen maybe?

As far as commie medicine goes im all for it. Ive posted about it before but my uninsured bill for rabies shots weighed in at about $28000

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 30, 2013

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I used it correctly I think - I just likened what they were doing to the crusades, and told them that Jerusalem was burning while they were discussing who the true infidels

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

e: As soon as my wife can get a decent foothold in her career, we are totally moving to Norway. We both took 2 semesters of Norwegian, and a cook can find a job anywhere, right?

Norway has generally a lack of cooks. If you're gonna work in a Norwegian restaurant kitchen, may I suggest you try to acclimatize yourself to Swedish in the process...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love summer. Grilled brats and onions, scooped out some really ripe kraut, roasted some corn and taters and steamed some green beans. Dessert was iced tea and a hugeass watermelon. Best eatin, man.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 30, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yep, we're grilling lamb breast and bread, eating watermelon, and drinking sangria under the grape vines and walnut trees all day.

Summertime best time.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

PokeJoe posted:

Excellent, I needed something to watch at work.

e: Could you post the lemon rice recipe :3:

Basic Lemon Rice
Serves: four
The white urad daal is there for a nutty flavor. If you have nuts of any sort, be they cashews, or peanuts, or almond slivers, use those in addition to white urad daal. If you cannot get white urad daal, simply use the nuts, and it will still be fantastic. If you have a nut allergy, sort out finding yourself white urad daal. The asafoetida is there for authentic flavor and aroma. If you don’t have it, don’t use it. The ginger is there for flavor only. If it’s not fresh ginger, leave it out entirely.
4 cups cooked white rice
1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
½ teaspoon whole mustard seeds
½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon white urad daal (optional)
1/8 teaspoon asafoetida (if you can’t find it, omit it)
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root (not powdered—if you don’t have fresh, omit it)
¼ cup roasted peanuts (optional)
¼ teaspoon turmeric
Salt, to taste
Chili flakes, to taste
Juice and zest of two lemons
Do not use fresh rice for this recipe. It will end in tears. For the best results, use rice that you’ve kept in the fridge. If you’re using refrigerated rice, remove it from the fridge now, and set it aside. If you’re trying to use fresh rice, take it out of the pot, and spread it onto a wide shallow plate, or baking sheet.
Use a skillet or wok to heat up the peanut or canola oil. When the oil gets hot enough that a small wisp of smoke escapes the surface, add the mustard seeds. The mustard seeds should begin popping.
When the popping subsides, add the cumin seeds and urad daal. Add the asafoetida, and wait for the popping of the cumin to subside. Add the ginger root and nuts. Cook for about a minute, to get the raw edge off the ginger, and add the turmeric. Let the turmeric cook for about a minute, and add the salt, chili flakes and rice. Toss gently to combine, and turn off the heat of the stove once the rice is tinted yellow. Finish with the lemon juice and lemon zest, and toss once more to combine.

Sorry for late as hell reply.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Even more dangerous chemicals in your food!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2013/jun/28/six-chemicals-food-drink-banned

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It's loving 110 F outside and has been all weekend. Hasnt dropped below 78F at night for 3 days. Summer season worst season. Go home summer. GTFO. :frogout:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's loving 110 F outside and has been all weekend. Hasnt dropped below 78F at night for 3 days. Summer season worst season. Go home summer. GTFO. :frogout:

It's only 102 here (only?) but yeah I don't remember the last time it wasn't 77+ at night at this point. It sucks. Summer sucks. The only good thing about it is fresh watermelon. I can't wait until winter. :colbert: It's only a couple hours drive up to go hide my head in a couple feet of snow then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

bunnielab posted:

One of the TFR posters is from Norway and he seemed to indicate that the rate was somewhere around 60-75%. They also get free education into the mix as well as all the moose meat they can eat.

He's probably right wing and calculating all the VAT and fees too. Income tax is 36%. VAT is 24% on normal wares and 14% on food.