Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Klyith posted:

If you need the GPIO pins of the Pi for a project, there's the Libre Computer Pi clones on amazon. Those are like a Pi 3 not a 4, and don't have wifi. And I guess not every hat or Pi accessory will work with them. $45 is kinda a ripoff, but less of a ripoff than $100 for a Pi 4.

Because I'm with Rexxed, once you're paying $100 for a Pi you should be asking "is a cheap NUC or chromebox a better deal than this?"

https://shopgoodwill.com has everybody's old-but-functional work laptop starting around $9. Most come ready to go, but it's still cheaper to buy a $11 laptop and a separate AC adapter from Amazon than to find a pi in the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallWorriedNoise
Nov 25, 2020

double nine posted:

not really my question, let me rephrase

i want to be able to do the following
- power on desktop
- power on raspberry + tv
- use [??] to make the raspberry open a movie that the raspberry has, through my desktop
preferably through a ui that a dumbass like me can use without the need for a command line

the phone app I'd like to use instead of a remote control.

additionally, I would want to use the desktop to launch a steam game, whose image is sent to the tv through the ethernet cable & the raspberry pi. All of the suggestions I found involve NVIDIA software - and I have an AMD radeon.
I run OSMC on a pi, and Kore, the official Kodi remote app, lets me use my phone just like a remote control, which I think is all you're looking for?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'd like to set up a portable Pi "workstation" consisting of a pi4, a small screen of some sort, and a compact keyboard (maybe my old HHKlite with a usb adapter). I'm not yet decided if I want to make it battery-powered or not; that sort of depends on what I end up doing for a screen.

I have access to a 3d printer which can make 7"x7"x7" prints, so I'd actually kind of like to find a small "bare" (no bezel) screen which can fit in 7"x7" and print an enclosure for screen+pi. The Pimoroni 8" HDMI screen (https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/hdmi-8-lcd-screen-kit-1024x768?variant=12559868133459) looks pretty promising, has anyone heard good or bad about their products? Any other suggestions?

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
somethingawful's arduino subforum ladies and gentlemen

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

i want to do some low latency video streaming via ethernet on a pi. i also want to be able to draw text and maybe some static images on the video stream. there appears to be a lot of ways to do this, from streaming to a local web page to using gstreamer and/or VLC. anyone have any experience and or recommendations for how to do this?

Depends on the resolution you are going for. If it is 4K the Pi won't be able to do much with it. You would just dump a raw stream to some other machine and do the processing there. For Full HD you can probably do some Gstreamer stuff on the Pi itself.

Gstreamer is fast but you need to really to do some testing. Make sure you are on a 5Ghz band as well, Wired would be best.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I tried about 10 different ways to do it and settled on an open web socket to a simple http page as it makes drawing the text on the video feed pretty easy. It can do 1080p at close enough to 30 fps. It usually has a delay of less than a second, which is good enough. Lots of the libraries I tried have ~5 to ~10 sec delays which was pretty bad

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This just was announced:

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/announcing-aws-lambda-function-urls-built-in-https-endpoints-for-single-function-microservices/

AWS Lambda Function URLs: Built-In HTTPS Endpoints for Lambda

Basically what this does is allow you to split things up in to two parts, for example:

raspberry pi:

record an audio clip "turn on the lights"
curl an aws lambda https endpoint with a couple of headers and an auth token and binary blob of the audio

aws lambda:

runs an advanced CPU heavy voice transcription thing
returns audio transcription

raspberry pi:

runs the lights on command for your living room

That might be slower than just letting the raspberry pi do it locally, but not 100% sure. You could also do something for advanced face detection, or whatever. I guess what my point is, this is an easy way to offload heavy duty processing to the cloud and then act on the output of said processing in an async but near real time way. AWS has had lambdas forever, but you had to call them using an IAM account from inside the cloud. This allows you to determine your own auth method (like a 128+ char auth token) and hit it from anywhere on the public internet

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Methinks you could pretty quickly rack up enough costs to cover a dedicated module/system if you’re not careful.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hadlock posted:

This just was announced:

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/announcing-aws-lambda-function-urls-built-in-https-endpoints-for-single-function-microservices/

AWS Lambda Function URLs: Built-In HTTPS Endpoints for Lambda

Basically what this does is allow you to split things up in to two parts, for example:

raspberry pi:

record an audio clip "turn on the lights"
curl an aws lambda https endpoint with a couple of headers and an auth token and binary blob of the audio

aws lambda:

runs an advanced CPU heavy voice transcription thing
returns audio transcription

raspberry pi:

runs the lights on command for your living room

That might be slower than just letting the raspberry pi do it locally, but not 100% sure. You could also do something for advanced face detection, or whatever. I guess what my point is, this is an easy way to offload heavy duty processing to the cloud and then act on the output of said processing in an async but near real time way. AWS has had lambdas forever, but you had to call them using an IAM account from inside the cloud. This allows you to determine your own auth method (like a 128+ char auth token) and hit it from anywhere on the public internet

The “easy buttons” for deploying lambdas add an api gateway to your lambda since forever. With the AWS SAM CLI it’s just done for you using the hello world templates. Zappa also does it if you’re deploying Python.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Warbird posted:

Methinks you could pretty quickly rack up enough costs to cover a dedicated module/system if you’re not careful.

Lambda costs are so close to zero it might as well be

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Heads up: there's no default username/password as of last night. This bit me in the rear end and I wound up reading through a ton of source code trying to get my Pi Zero to boot headless and let me log in.

You can now drop a file called "userconf.txt" in the boot partition to set up a username/password. I did not discover this last night, and gave up after 4 hours of trying to hack up the undocumented first boot shell script.

Anyway. Hope this saves someone else some frustration.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-bullseye-update-april-2022/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cruft posted:

Heads up: there's no default username/password as of last night. This bit me in the rear end and I wound up reading through a ton of source code trying to get my Pi Zero to boot headless and let me log in.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-bullseye-update-april-2022/

This is a really good idea and well past due for them to have fixed, but it's crazy that they didn't give more of a warning or a transition release that did both.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Great I picked up some free 4:3 dell monitors from work because they make good retropie projects and went to check pi prices and wtf. After waiting a year to buy a reasonably priced gpu...

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Also posted this in the arduino thread in the crafts subforum, so apologies if I ended up spamming to the same crowd, but as a beginner I have a real problem figuring what hardware exactly would I need for the little learning project I'm thinking of doing - and I'd rather pester fellow goons than end up buying something I misjudged.

A couple days ago I've used a MIDI translator to use a piano keyboard as a stickless arcade controller for fighting games on a lark. Then I found I actually really like it and started training with it and coding own SOCD cleaners (rules for handling opposing directional directions to be ~tournament legal~). Now, while I don't really need it, I've started talking with some friends about making a for-funsies project of grabbing an arduino or something similar to make my own plug'n'play adapter to be able to just roll up to some local meetings or something.

The thing I'd need this thing to do:
- Read MIDI inputs, preferably through a USB cable.
- Translate them to other key presses internally, so I don't have to install poo poo on target machine running the game and output them by another USB connection.
- Be able to swap between modes of pretending to a PC or Playstation controller - I know the consoles have some different I/O standards, but I have no idea if it has any hardware/connector implications.
- If it could just mooch power through these USB connectors and not require it's own power plug, it'd be super sweet.
- Some case to be able to just chuck in into a backpack. Any considerations for Stuff To Fit Inside I should be aware of?

What would I need to grab to possibly get such a gizmo to work?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I have a Pi 3 B+ with Kodi running on it. I want to somehow set it up to dual boot into both Kodi and Raspbian so I can use it as a Parsec client for my PC. Is there a way to set up dual boot capabilities without wiping the SD card first? My Kodi install is finally (mostly) customized to how my wife and I like it and I really don't want to have to re-set it up.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oldstench posted:

I have a Pi 3 B+ with Kodi running on it. I want to somehow set it up to dual boot into both Kodi and Raspbian so I can use it as a Parsec client for my PC. Is there a way to set up dual boot capabilities without wiping the SD card first? My Kodi install is finally (mostly) customized to how my wife and I like it and I really don't want to have to re-set it up.

Is there a reason you can't physically swap the microsd card?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

There's a crazy boot mechanism called "gpio boot mode" that has big red flashing light caveats and could completely make your rpi unusable but it could fit the bill if you want to put kodi on the sd card and raspbian on a usb thumb drive.

:siren:but it will brick your rpi without significant work so I really don't recommend it:siren:

let us know if you actually try it though. It looks dope.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

cruft posted:

Is there a reason you can't physically swap the microsd card?

I only have one SD card and didn't really want to buy another one just for this.

"gpio boot mode" looks like Linux nerd poo poo that I'm way too stupid to understand.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oldstench posted:

I only have one SD card and didn't really want to buy another one just for this.

Far be it from me to diss somebody else's hobby project for being unnecessarily obtuse, unnecessarily obtuse is my jam.

Oldstench posted:

"gpio boot mode" looks like Linux nerd poo poo that I'm way too stupid to understand.

I think you should reconsider getting a second SD card.

E: a non-snarky answer:

The Raspberry Pi doesn't have anything like a boot loader. It does some funky thing where it uses the graphics chip to boot a ROM that reads the first FAT on the first partition of the SD card, parse the configuration file, and then hands things off to the kernel.

Nobody's really put the time into having multiple kernels/root partitions, because it's so much easier to just buy another SD card.

But if you wanted to do it, I think your first step would probably be to write a chain loader that allows you to select which kernel to boot, and then you can pass in the partition path for the rootfs, and that ought to do it. You might have to mount the same /boot in both operating systems, which could be problematic, so your next step will be to add filesystem code to mount the right boot fs and read the kernel from that.

So at a minimum you're going to be writing something like LILO from scratch. Mmmmaybe you can take an existing project like dasboot and hack it into service as a chain-loader. To get this looking something like GRUB is going to take a whole lot of work in ARM64 instructions, and your "Linux nerd poo poo" comment makes me think this might be a hobby project you're not going to have the stomach for.

But maybe you do! That would be an awesome contribution to the world and a lot of people would probably find a lot of reasons why they actually preferred this to buying a second SD card. Specifically industrial applications might find this extraordinarily useful.

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 28, 2022

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Oldstench posted:

Could you add Parsec to your Kodi install?

That specific project hasn't been updated in 2 years so might no longer work (I don't keep up with Kodi), but it suggests there's at least other people out there who are solving/solved this problem 🤞

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Having 2 SD cards seems like a crap way to do things. Means you have to keep the pi in an accessible spot, and do an annoying song-and-dance of shutting down cleanly, swapping cards, and turning on again. (Then remember to do it again when you're done with parsec so your wife gets kodi when she turns on the TV.)

Oldstench posted:

So some linux nerd poo poo that you might find far easier: everything about how kodi is configured is stored in regular files, all in one place. You can probably learn how to copy that to a USB stick from basic linux tutorials, and then put it back onto a new kodi.

So here's what I'd do:
1. Save an image of your current kodi install on your PC as a backup so you can revert if needed. You can use Win32DiskImager for that.
2. Learn how to SSH into your pi's current OS
3. Copy the data folder to a usb stick or similar
4. Image your sdcard with the dual-OS thing that probably led you to ask the question in the first place
5. SSH in and copy all the data back

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Can't you just load kodi aa an executable from the main os?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

First, thanks everyone for the advice. Second, if the linux nerd poo poo comment rubbed anyone the wrong way, I apologize. I just meant it as in "I'm as stupid as a bag of grass clippings" and know I won't be able to do any serious clever poo poo to make this work. Klyith's suggestion seems the most straightforward, so I'll give that a shot.

SmallWorriedNoise
Nov 25, 2020
Comedy option - set up netbooting from different images. (I actually looked at this a year or so ago and gave up because it was all too complicated)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, I got butthurt. It's been a week. Thanks for being cool about it.

As spazzle mentioned, you should be able to run both UIs with just a plan Raspbian install. If I were doing this as my hobby project, that's the way I'd try to pull this off. Big advantage here is not having to maintain two operating systems.

The Kodi plugin for parsec makes it seem like maybe you can use LibreElec though? Or at least could... Worth investigating. LibreElec updates itself to some degree so it's ideal for a set top box that you want to just watch movies and not screw around installing security patches.

Anyway my advice is still to get that second SD card, but use it to try and figure a way to run both UIs without messing up the Kodi setup you've spent so long tuning. The pi is really well suited to this type of tinkering because it's so easy to swap out the "hard drive" for experimenting. Screwed something up big time? Just put the Kodi SD card back in and watch a movie to unwind.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Someone in this thread got that working iirc… and gave really awesome, clear instructions on how he did it. I still managed to gently caress it up and gave up soon after. But it was awesome that he got it to work. I’m on my phone or I’d search for it

E: should have mentioned it was netbooting he had working

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Oldstench posted:

First, thanks everyone for the advice. Second, if the linux nerd poo poo comment rubbed anyone the wrong way, I apologize. I just meant it as in "I'm as stupid as a bag of grass clippings" and know I won't be able to do any serious clever poo poo to make this work. Klyith's suggestion seems the most straightforward, so I'll give that a shot.

To be honest, I would have felt really bad if you really did try "gpio boot mode" and end up turning your raspberry pi 3b+ into a paperweight. Especially because they're still hard to find nowadays!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oldstench posted:

First, thanks everyone for the advice. Second, if the linux nerd poo poo comment rubbed anyone the wrong way, I apologize. I just meant it as in "I'm as stupid as a bag of grass clippings" and know I won't be able to do any serious clever poo poo to make this work.

Nobody should be offended by the linux nerd poo poo comment because getting a Pi to dual boot is some real linux nerd poo poo. Just lucky that someone's packaged it into a pre-made image utility.

(Note: I have no idea how well the 2 installs provided on that website will work, particularly if and when they want to update themselves. I could easily see a major update to raspbian wrecking the bit that allows libreElec to boot from it.)

However, a good lesson in how to ask for help in tech stuff: at the start, give a calibration of how much you know and stuff like "I've googled and the only thing I feel able to do is these automatic utilities that are the top hits for dual boot pi. Everything else is linux nerd poo poo that I can't understand because I know nothing about linux."

The best way to find good answers is to think about what the problem actually *is* (in thing case, keeping your kodi setup) and get off a track that's going nowhere.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

People don’t consider “huge Linux nerd” a complement? Probs should have called them a “Unix nerd” instead I suppose.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Warbird posted:

People don’t consider “huge Linux nerd” a complement?

I've been dieting, okay? Trying to make it down to "large Linux nerd".

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cruft posted:

:same:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

cruft posted:

I’m headed in the opposite direction, and don’t even have the benefit of being a “Linux nerd” yet…

Sorta like “Huge Linux n00b,” the worst of all worlds…:btroll:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
New Raspberry Pi Picos announced:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-pico-w-your-6-iot-platform/

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Is there any reason to buy one of these over an ESP32?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Inept posted:

Is there any reason to buy one of these over an ESP32?

Now? No, not really unless you are married to the Pi Pico ecosystem.

A year ago when ESP32s were hard to get in some areas? Absolutely, but they missed their mark.

From what I understand the Deep Sleep still isn't great on Pico and the W doesn't have BT. The wifi module they are using does have BT, and they hinted at adding in the future.

ESP32 can do a deep sleep at like 10uA and theres a few boards that get there, deepest Pico sleep I've heard is 1mA and that was with some trickery. RP2040 itself can do 180uA deep sleep so that's the best case it could have.

I use a Pico in a small keyboard I made since it has native USB support, but I probably could have used an ESP32 S2 instead.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I still don't really get the Pi Pico stuff. There are so many good microcontrollers out there already. Plenty of established brands, with big communities, good tools, and an excellent migration path from cheap low end to expensive high end, as well as from hobbyist to professional. The Pi microcontrollers just seem like a dead end as a result. At least with a proper Pi you can move to a different Linux computer with not that much effort, so it isn't a dead end for hobbyists only.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's how capitalism works. You continually expand your product line to compete with other companies to try and get a bigger slice of all the money in the industry.

I think it's stupid too, only microcontroller I'll buy is a teensy, but that's just me. I assume Pi knows how well they'll sell.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I buy atmels for hobby stuff because Arduino saves so much time and ST for work stuff because they're cheap and the toolchain is very very good. Both are suitable for both hobby projects and serious product design.

Pi stuff is super vulnerable to supply crunches and also has that embarrassing hobbyist vibe when you see it in a proper product(like the Atmel328P)

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I think the big advantage of the Pico over the ESP32 is that you can connect it to a PC, mount it like a flash drive, and drop a Python program on it. No looking for COM ports. No need for an IDE even. Write some Python in a text editor, copy the file onto the Pico, make some lights flash.

I think it also has some stuff that makes creating a custom USB HID device pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

I think the big advantage of the Pico over the ESP32 is that you can connect it to a PC, mount it like a flash drive, and drop a Python program on it. No looking for COM ports. No need for an IDE even. Write some Python in a text editor, copy the file onto the Pico, make some lights flash.

I think it also has some stuff that makes creating a custom USB HID device pretty easy.

That describes half the boards sold by Adafruit