Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh my god. Checking bags with China Eastern is like applying for a mortgage. How much paperwork does this woman need to fill out by hand!? I've been here an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

Oh my god. Checking bags with China Eastern is like applying for a mortgage. How much paperwork does this woman need to fill out by hand!? I've been here an hour.

You're flying China Eastern? I wouldn't wish that upon my enemies. :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ugh. It's a codeshare with delta. Is it just their customer service or is their hardware poo poo too?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
MU is a huge carrier. It could be worse

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just leaving China now. I did the math - I will land at my home airport 40 hours after getting to my departure airport. :stonklol:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Let me guess, last row, middle seat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
MU hard product is good, but the soft product is Airline Service with Chinese Characteristics

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

MU hard product is good, but the soft product is Airline Service with Chinese Characteristics

I can (now) attest for this. Although the hard product in this case was also not great.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
How do y'all feel about Virgin/Alaska?

I'm going to be doing a decent amount of travel from San Francisco to Orlando the next few years, and am considering switching over from Delta since they fly direct. Delta's LAX connections suck right now due to the terminal construction. I'd definitely fly enough to get MVP, maybe MVP Gold but not likely.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Alaska is cool and good.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Alaska has the best frequent flyer program right now. Their lounges are priority pass too usually.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

I can (now) attest for this. Although the hard product in this case was also not great.

What class and aircraft? I've only been in the new 773s. Business class is very good. Economy wasn't too bad either.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A330-200. Economy

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

love on the cheap posted:

How do y'all feel about Virgin/Alaska?

Alaska Cheese And Fruit Plate

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Like others have said, Alaska/Virgin us one of the more customer-friendly airlines in the U.S., although their route network isn't as extensive so you may have more issues getting routed home during IRROPS. That being said, the fact they have direct flights to where you're going probably means you'll be saving a lot more time overall.

Also, AS pro-tip: if the price of the flight drops after you book it, you can ask them to credit you the difference in flight credits. Never done it when travelling for business, but I imagine you might be able to generate a pretty decent stash of Alaska flight credits doing this if you regularly fly with them on business.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Arzakon posted:

Alaska Cheese And Fruit Plate

Always order it asap even if you don't want it immediately, it sells out on every flight.

I'm a huge Alaska fangirl. I live in Seattle and my company has a partnership/preference for Alaska, so that doesn't hurt either. Decent nonstops from Seattle (including TPA/MCO/FLL, husband and I are from Florida). And this is my first year as MVP Gold, I'm getting spoiled already - have been upgraded at least once on each trip I've made since hitting Gold.

I'm grumbling because I have a "fake" trip this week and I just got home Friday afternoon. Global company conference, being held in Bellevue, and I have to stay in the hotel. Not my loyalty hotel either. So none of the benefits (no miles, no points, can't expense anything besides hotel).

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

alaska is the best american carrier if they serve the routes you need to fly

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Alaska has free changes and cancellations for elites iirc. A very good benefit. Great award redemptions with their points as well. An Alaska Point is the best airline mile in my book.

If I lived in an Alaska hub I’d very seriously consider them as my first choice.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

the talent deficit posted:

alaska is the best american carrier if they serve the routes you need to fly

No, that's Jetblue.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ntan1 posted:

No, that's Jetblue.

puzzles has some nice benefits, mint is cool but no, JetBlue is not all that good

1) terrible operational performance
2) old and busted IFE
3) poo poo elite rewards other than waived change fees
4) mediocre codeshares

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

puzzles has some nice benefits, mint is cool but no, JetBlue is not all that good

1) terrible operational performance
2) old and busted IFE
3) poo poo elite rewards other than waived change fees
4) mediocre codeshares

I would argue that if you're going where JetBlue goes, it's the best coach experience in North America today. Alaska is a great airline to be sure, but JetBlue's larger operation edges them above in my book. That said, you're right in that the A320 refurbs are hilariously behind schedule; the faster they do that, the better they'll be able to compete.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

who even flies coach

edit: even when I was based out of Boston I could not put up with their lovely operational performance and schedule. yay i can fly direct to chicago where I have to be a bunch except oh wait you have three flights a day yeah no thanks buddy

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

who even flies coach

Our mutual friend, KillHour.

Also everyone at my company below VP.

Used to be able to fly business class on long international flights but our new ownership downgraded that policy to economy plus. :smith:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

who even flies coach

it me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bro come on i know gm's policy is business for managers and above

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I work for Condé Nast, not GM!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bro come on i know gm's policy is business for managers and above

I get my upgrade with the “either send me there earlier in coach, get me an extra night at a hotel so I can be operational, or put me in business so I can loving sleep”

The spoiler alert of course is that I fit just fine in economy and can sleep through anything but business class is nice.

On a SEA-AMS A330-300 right now, an OG Northwest bird. Smooth ride and nice interior. I guess Airbus might be OK.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I fly coach but my upgrade rate is pretty good.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

who even flies coach

:D :hf: :D

But yeah, JetBlue is too niche and it’s too easy to get exit row if you are stuck flying economy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

who even flies coach

edit: even when I was based out of Boston I could not put up with their lovely operational performance and schedule. yay i can fly direct to chicago where I have to be a bunch except oh wait you have three flights a day yeah no thanks buddy

It's me, your internationally traveling civil servant.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

spoiler alert even he flies Y+ sometimes, as recently as like 2 pages ago

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Sigh MIA-HUNTSVILLE direct or MIA-Nashville with a 2.5 hour drive but I get to stay the weekend and fly home Sunday

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

spoiler alert even he flies Y+ sometimes, as recently as like 2 pages ago

I'm flying Q to London Sunday. Yeah, that's right, my company won't even do full price coach.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Sigh MIA-HUNTSVILLE direct or MIA-Nashville with a 2.5 hour drive but I get to stay the weekend and fly home Sunday

Huntsville only if you want to see the museum, otherwise Nashville is an infinitely better place to spend the weekend.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I've never been to Huntsville or Alabama....the closest I got was some shithole in Tennessee a bit north whose nicest hotel was a Hampton Inn and the nicest restaurant was a Buffalo Wild Wings.

So....yeah...I'm leaning toward the drive and Nashville for the weekend instead of in and out for 700$

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
Definitely getting that cheese and fruit plate on the flight tomorrow. Thanks for all the responses!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

I'm flying Q to London Sunday. Yeah, that's right, my company won't even do full price coach.

If you’re flying economy what’s the difference?

O/Q on AA get you into the good seats if you have status. And true Y class booking would have discount business priced cheaper almost assuredly.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
JetBlue coach is the best and the fact that it’s not getting them more business is a sign that basic economy is what people are voting for with their dollars. It sucks.

Also who cares about IFE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drgitlin posted:

I work for Condé Nast, not GM!

just pretend that i'm noted Tesla fanboy The Sicilian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Midjack posted:

It's me, your internationally traveling civil servant.

Yup

Often we don't get full Y fares either, so upgrading can be almost impossible