Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That was a Good Episode of Kamen Rider Drive.

I'm a sucker for cool teamups, so the three Riders and two Roidmudes transforming together was awesome.

For a second, I actually thought Gou would give Chase his Driver and Chase would become Mach for a bit. I'm really sad that didn't happen and I'm surprised at how sad I am that Chase died.

Do we know how many episodes are left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Three.

Ghost airs on October 4.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Super Hero Wars GP was a pretty standard "Eh it was neat but it wasn't really great" movie but one thing stuck out in my mind. Tomari was working for Shocker helping to defeat non-Shocker Riders, but when he decides to turn good, Krim just goes "Well looks like you're in top gear!" It just sticks out as odd, theoretically Krim should be going "You're betraying Shocker?" I guess you could just assume Krim is fine with Tomari betraying them because he doesn't like Shocker either, but then the question is why was Krim helping Shocker to destroy Riders if he wasn't on their side?

I did find out that one of the Kamen Rider 4 video specials directly follows the ending of Faiz, though, which makes me really want to watch it, since Faiz's ending was especially terrible. I know Kamen Rider in general usually has problems with its endings, but I feel like Faiz's is the worst of the lot, potentially only surpassed by Hibiki.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Kamen Rider 3 would have been better if it was nothing but a Kamen Rider version of "Scooby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf." Nothing but various riders racing along crazy paths using all sorts of crazy tricks to trip each other up.

We don't always need an alternate world where Shocker controls the universe and the Kamen Riders lie dormant for 40 years until they see it's time for a big cool battle scene.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Burkion posted:

Here's a fantastic Ultraman animation thing

http://animatorexpo.com/theultraman/

Make sure to switch on the English subs.

This owns. Watch the poo poo out of it. Enjoy Ultraman.

Watch Ultraman.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yosuke posted:

Three.

Ghost airs on October 4.

And from what I've heard the main plot ends next episode with the final two being a crossover of sorts with Ghost (Kind of like what Wizard did with Gaim).

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Kamen Rider 3 would have been better if it was nothing but a Kamen Rider version of "Scooby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf." Nothing but various riders racing along crazy paths using all sorts of crazy tricks to trip each other up.

We don't always need an alternate world where Shocker controls the universe and the Kamen Riders lie dormant for 40 years until they see it's time for a big cool battle scene.

Seriously, can we stop using Shocker for these anniversary movies already? It's starting to get old(Though to be fair, they did use Badan from ZX for Kamen Rider Wars but that was just one time). Hell, with the exception of Skyrider which was orginally supposed to be a reboot of the franchise anyway(and breifly in Decade), Shocker stopped being relevant in Kamen Rider after the first series. Give another group some attention next time.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 7, 2015

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Larryb posted:

Seriously, can we stop using Shocker for these anniversary movies already? It's starting to get old(Though to be fair, they did use Badan from ZX for Kamen Rider Wars but that was just one time). Hell, with the exception of Skyrider which was orginally supposed to be a reboot of the franchise anyway(and breifly in Decade), Shocker stopped being relevant in Kamen Rider after the first series. Give another group some attention next time.

Wasn't the entire point of the Black RX crossover episodes that it's always been Shocker? The whole time?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gearhead posted:

Wasn't the entire point of the Black RX crossover episodes that it's always been Shocker? The whole time?

No, no.

The common thread in the Showa Kamen Rider series was the Great Leader. That motherfucker was behind every thing or influenced everything- he wasn't Shocker and Shocker wasn't all that important to him. In fact Shocker mattered so little to him that he just merged it with another evil organization (he created) half way through the original series!

So yeah the constant Shocker love is just really dumbfounding when it was the Great Leader who mattered, and that dude was every goddamn where. The best part about the Great Leader is his pretty drat unique origin story. Dude was a Tibetan Monk who achieved Nirvana and ascended to another level of existence, and is trying to raise humanity up to a similar level. Considering the way that whole thing works in Buddhist philosophy, it actually makes sense and shows why and how the Great Leader can be multiple entities at once, including various types of aliens, eyeball Medusa monsters, THE GOD OF DEATH, and implied to be the Creation King of Kamen Rider Black.

It also shows why he often pits his own creations against one another, which happens an interesting number of times. Gel and Shocker originally clashed before their merger, the Delza Army helped to destroy Black Satan, and the second Amazon villain faction helped take down the Ten Faced Demon. None of them are exactly supposed to succeed, just continue the conflict to drive humanity forwards.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Okay, that makes sense, more or less.

Maybe the idea is that since everyone knows it's the Great Leader at this point, they're just using the Shocker name as a courtesy?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gearhead posted:

Okay, that makes sense, more or less.

Maybe the idea is that since everyone knows it's the Great Leader at this point, they're just using the Shocker name as a courtesy?

Nah it's just simple ole nostalgia jerking. SHOCKER WAS THE FIRST ENEMY OF KAMEN RIDER LET'S DO THAT!

It's them being lazy.

I'm just pointing out that the Great Leader is in no way tied down to Shocker.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
There were some cool parts of the GP but also some weird parts sums it up pretty well to me.

Why did the Blade Riders just randomly turn against Shocker when they were still brainwashed? The excuse that Garren gave didn't even make much sense; 'I can always trust my brothers in arms', but his brothers in arms were Shocker Riders, the same as him. At least Faiz it seemed to make some kind of sense; he didn't really care, brainwashing or not, and just decided to do whatever.

Why have Kiriko be immune to the changing time lines if it's going to take all of 10 minutes for Shinnosuke to go 'no Shocker isn't right'; if he'd been doing this for a long time as Shocker Rider Drive, why would he be so surprised at them using kids?

The reason Kiriko was immune from what I could tell was the Mach Bike slotting into her little belt wear. But Gou himself wasn't immune, it didn't seem, because his focus was on revenge for his sister, not 'yeah I know this timeline is hosed up.'

What was with Chaser randomly popping up in the race?

Is W always such a douche as to bring a monster truck to a mostly motorcycle race?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It took too long for Deneb to show up and he possessed no one 0/10, poo poo movie.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It had some amusing moments, but really the reason for watching is just the full version of "Who's That Guy?" at the end with the neat old school art.

I agree with the general consensus though, the "all riders vs shocker (or each other)" was neat the first time but it's well overdone by this point. The main riders get a little bit of spotlight, but then they bring back all the others and they get to do next to nothing except fight in the background and disappoint me when they don't talk or even use alternate forms. It's a shame. Megamax had it perfect, and Heisei VS Showa still did it a little better. At least Black was there and cool as heck.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like to think that Emperor Zuul from God Mars is also the Great Leader, since he shares a voice with him.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I feel safe saying that we can add Drive to the list of shows we recommend to people who want to get into Kamen Rider.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cernunnos posted:

I feel safe saying that we can add Drive to the list of shows we recommend to people who want to get into Kamen Rider.

I'll second this when we see if it sticks the landing.

But yeah, Drive has been really good. Shinnosuke is one of my favorite Riders.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I fell off keeping up with Drive early in, but all this praise is finally getting me off my rear end and watching it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Drive keeps being really good. At this rate it might even have a good ending, unlike most Riders. Honestly, can we just keep Riku Sanjo on forever? Between W, Kyoryuger and this, I think I want to keep him writing for toku forever.

In comparison, Ninninger...did the writers realize that they were making a bad series and decided that the only way to fix it was to take all the drugs they could find? Because this episode was really weird. That said, we get dad next episode, so who the gently caress cares, dad's one of the few things keeping me watching this show.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, the quality of Drive has to come from somewhere. Stealing from ninja is karmic or something.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

. The main riders get a little bit of spotlight, but then they bring back all the others and they get to do next to nothing except fight in the background and disappoint me when they don't talk or even use alternate forms. It's a shame.

This is my huge, overwelming problem with the crossovers. I know they're just the purest, almost literal form of "mashing action figures together" and I shouldn't be expecting a six hour epic with every character getting focus, but why bring everyone back if only to use them as background dressing? I don't even like J and the way he got chumped was infuriating.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Eh, I really liked GP. I want to see Sango get his own show now, a classic kamen rider with SHOCKER!! (or GORGOM!! if you prefer) monster of the week, mook battles, and manliness thrown about for the only reason for being.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I don't think he is arguing Sango wasn't cool, but rather that they didn't really need all the riders when they basically just stood in for monsters.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 7, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was confused for a bit before I remembered that Sango wasn't a name, but that you were talking about Kamen Rider #3.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

When can we expect the first solid/believable sentai rumors? In like 1-2months right?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zedd posted:

When can we expect the first solid/believable sentai rumors? In like 1-2months right?

Sometime around then, though expect a lot of bullshit to be mixed in too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cliff Racer posted:

Sometime around then, though expect a lot of bullshit to be mixed in too.

One of which will be a music themed/idol themed team. That one crops up every year.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
no recurring rumor will top middle aged man with shotgun

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

One of which will be a music themed/idol themed team. That one crops up every year.
One year, it's going to actually be true and none of us will believe it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

In comparison, Ninninger...did the writers realize that they were making a bad series and decided that the only way to fix it was to take all the drugs they could find? Because this episode was really weird.

I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but last week's was actually pretty tolerable. Takaharu didn't hog the spotlight and actually let Kinji have the finishing blow on the monster and pilot Ha Oh Shurikenjin. I'm also interested in seeing if they go anywhere with the fact that Kinji has at least some Youkai power in him now, since his eyes did flash purple during the fight.

I mean Ninninger still isn't a very good series but at least that episode wasn't "Takaharu is literally the best at everything ever."

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

hey, fashion rider got rumoured every year and then turned out to be true for once this year

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think you need to go back and watch the TQGer movie to remember what a bad series actually looks like. Because I did that yesterday and man, I sure am glad that show is over. Also, they didn't use their season's gimmick (switching) at all in the film, guess even they realized that it was boring.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I miss Kyoryuger. I miss a show that's biggest problem was ONE (1) of its members getting shafted in the focus department, while everything else was a non-stop thrill ride of pure fun and loving awesome background music seriously god drat.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 8, 2015

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

I think you need to go back and watch the TQGer movie to remember what a bad series actually looks like.

ToQger is a good series, but only because of its villains, which is why the movie and the Returns special were not good, because the bad guys sucked in them.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Twelve by Pies posted:

ToQger is a good series, but only because of its villains, which is why the movie and the Returns special were not good, because the bad guys sucked in them.

Nero tried, at least, bless his weird plague-doctor-y heart.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
As much as I think ToQger is mediocre as hell, Schwartz telling Zed "I have obtained a Shine" and then loving laughing as Zed kills him in anger is the poo poo that quality Sentai is made out of.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

no recurring rumor will top middle aged man with shotgun

That's 'badass shotgun guy' and I heard he'll be the third rider in Ghost.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
A middle aged man with a shotgun helping an undead motorcycle riding super hero? Where have I heard that before? Kamen Rider Ghost...Ghost Kamen...Ghost Ri-

Rumored climax of the next Super Hero Taisen.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

doesnt the secondary rider this year literally have a shotgun with a hand glued to the front of it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rei_ posted:

doesnt the secondary rider this year literally have a shotgun with a hand glued to the front of it

it's more of a musket really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_NS2BI6hR8

Why don't you spend your morning trying to hold back the tears of losing Chase, and doing what's the most accurate thing to do in this situation:

Be like a Spinning Wheel?

• Locked thread