Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Onmi posted:

So do you think there's a way to kill the final boss without losing two people?

I highly doubt it. I'm pretty sure the fight is scripted so that the New God uses the instakill move as soon as it loses a certain amount of health. It can even use this move while stunned; it doesn't count as a normal action. So assuming it works that way, the only way to avoid it would be to kill the New God in a single blow. Even with the biggest damage boosted crit you can get, I doubt it would even come close to doing that.

Eight-Six posted:

Am I missing an important combo with Hound's Harry or does it just blow rear end like I think it does- scratch damage to everything plus a weak as gently caress bleed? Way better to just Hound's Rush which is at least bleed + damage + good damage against beast/marked, and can hit any slot.

Its a finisher. You use it in those situations where a low health enemy survives to get in chip damage on everything else while killing it. Its also useful to have equipped if the houndsmaster gets forced into position one, as the only other move he can use from that position is blackjack and the damage on that isn't much better.

EDIT: Its a lot better once you get his spiked collar trinket since the bleed is pretty much guaranteed on everyone.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, bleed stacks? Can I keep doing bleed attacks on enemies to make them bleed more?

...does blight stack!?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Alright, finally cleared out the last apprentice-tier boss. :toot:

Now to start sending my level 3 guys to die in veteran-tier missions.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

i think someone mentioned you can open that chest without a key, albeit for a lesser reward.
Yeah but it's like 100 gold or something paltry compared to the usual 7.5k in ethereal D&D dice.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wait, bleed stacks? Can I keep doing bleed attacks on enemies to make them bleed more?

...does blight stack!?
Yeah, you can get multiple bleeds and blights going at the same time.

Probably the easiest way of dealing with the Hag and Flesh bosses especially.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

...does blight stack!?
Yes, yes, and yes, though the effect wears off after a certain amount of turns so there's only so much you can stack.

Two Plague Doctors spamming blight is a valid strategy against several bosses.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Internet Kraken posted:

I highly doubt it. I'm pretty sure the fight is scripted so that the New God uses the instakill move as soon as it loses a certain amount of health. It can even use this move while stunned; it doesn't count as a normal action. So assuming it works that way, the only way to avoid it would be to kill the New God in a single blow. Even with the biggest damage boosted crit you can get, I doubt it would even come close to doing that.

Hahaha, that sounds like the biggest gently caress you.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Seafood posted:

Yes, yes, and yes, though the effect wears off after a certain amount of turns so there's only so much you can stack.

Two Plague Doctors spamming blight is a valid strategy against several bosses.

I have so much to do

I have so much poison to spread

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dogstile posted:

I'm pretty sure it exists purely for that reason. It really doesn't matter since the boss is designed to be fought down party members and its literally the last fight, but you can guarantee people are gonna hate having to sacrifice their favorite heroes to win. Bold decision to make your victory feel as lovely and hollow as possible, but at that point the player really should expect it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Stacking blight to the sky is how I deal with half the bosses in this game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure it exists purely for that reason. It really doesn't matter since the boss is designed to be fought down party members and its literally the last fight, but you can guarantee people are gonna hate having to sacrifice their favorite heroes to win. Bold decision to make your victory feel as lovely and hollow as possible, but at that point the player really should expect it.

I dunno, since it's the last boss, and there's pretty much no reason to keep playing afterwards, losing two random schmucks feels pretty meaningless.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

dogstile posted:

That's basically how it goes It's not helped by the ending showing the Hamlet decaying, and implying that you've become the newest Ancestor. It's a completely fitting ending for a Cthulhu Mythos game but it does reek of... well pointlessness for the player. It's not a coincidence that the game forces you back to the position you were at the very very start of the game, Two guys.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
Trap disarming decreasing stress is the best change, imo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Onmi posted:

That's basically how it goes It's not helped by the ending showing the Hamlet decaying, and implying that you've become the newest Ancestor. It's a completely fitting ending for a Cthulhu Mythos game but it does reek of... well pointlessness for the player. It's not a coincidence that the game forces you back to the position you were at the very very start of the game, Two guys.

On one hand I can see that ending being pretty unsatisfying, but on the other hand, the act of simply running dungeons in this game is so fun because of the attack animations and the narrator, that it almost doesn't matter. I have a slew of level 3 guys I haven't sent out on missions yet because I'm a big ol' chicken baby about venturing into veteran dungeons, and my blacksmith and guild aren't even close to being upgraded barely at all (this goes for armor and weapons on the dudes) and it doesn't really hinder my enjoyment of the game. This is one of those games I can see myself never actually getting to the end of, cause some of the bosses and the final dungeon in general seem like hell, but just simply going on a dungeon run is fun on its own.

There's few things in gaming more satisfying than that literal one frame animation of a character swinging and seeing the CRIT or the death skull happen. Major props to the devs for making very little animation work so well

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Macaluso posted:

On one hand I can see that ending being pretty unsatisfying, but on the other hand, the act of simply running dungeons in this game is so fun because of the attack animations and the narrator, that it almost doesn't matter. I have a slew of level 3 guys I haven't sent out on missions yet because I'm a big ol' chicken baby about venturing into veteran dungeons, and my blacksmith and guild aren't even close to being upgraded barely at all (this goes for armor and weapons on the dudes) and it doesn't really hinder my enjoyment of the game. This is one of those games I can see myself never actually getting to the end of, cause some of the bosses and the final dungeon in general seem like hell, but just simply going on a dungeon run is fun on its own.

There's few things in gaming more satisfying than that literal one frame animation of a character swinging and seeing the CRIT or the death skull happen. Major props to the devs for making very little animation work so well

absolutely, I don't change my recommendation of the game from "This is amazing play this" but the Ending while fitting is disheartening, it does however prove that even at the end Red Hook knows how to gently caress with the player If it just killed a character, it would be fine, it's making you choose and hearing their cries of desperation that hits home. I have some hope that New Game + actually has a different ending, as it would be nice to be rewarded for beating the game under the conditions set for you. But I have a feeling this isn't the case.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

I don't think you literally replace the Ancestor, you're just kicking the can down the road for your replacement to find and fix. You do some pretty lovely things in the course of the campaign but I'm pretty sure you're not sacrificing any waifs to the fish gods or creating horrible misshapen pig abominations, that's all on the old guy. NG+ demonstrates what happened to your old player avatar and it's not being the Ancestor's stand-in.

On the one hand I agree it would be nice if NG+ had a different ending. On the other hand, the whole point of the ending sequence is that the world is hosed by its very nature. There's no defeating the ancient evil and saving the world because the world is the ancient evil.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Chomp8645 posted:

Even bozos can get through the apprentice dungeons with little difficulty.
I mean it'd be nice to believe that, but this thread has proven the opposite

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Chomp8645 posted:

I hate to break it to you but advice from anyone at week 15 is worthless.

The game has a reputation for being hard yes, but that doesn't start until you hit the higher level missions. Even bozos can get through the apprentice dungeons with little difficulty. It is not a difficult game in the early dungeons. I laugh every time someone is like "guys I just got this game and beat my first boss and I'm doing great this is easy!!!!"

I'm glad you said this because I was coming here to ask if the difficulty of this game was overblown. I'm on week 20, and have cleared all the beginning bosses with basically no trouble. I've only lost 2 heroes and they were killed by motherfucking spiders in the first couple weeks (crazy how many times i missed them). I haven't had anyone hit death's door for a while now. I finally just got 8 guys to level 3 so I'm going to start doing the lvl 3 dungeons so I hope the difficulty ramps up a bit.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If you get ahead on upgrades you can make the game a lot easier for the given tier. There just comes a point where you can no longer get ahead on upgrades, but the game continues to get harder. At that point only trinket setups and better play are going to help you.

That said it's not necessarily as hard as some people say but that depends a lot on how you play. And how you play may be forced to change by certain circumstances, including the final dungeon setups. There are definitely people who never really lose anyone until the Darkest Dungeon, but they're also playing extremely conservatively which is something you can get away with on NG (but not NG+, due to the time limit).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

The game has a reputation for being hard yes, but that doesn't start until you hit the higher level missions. Even bozos can get through the apprentice dungeons with little difficulty. It is not a difficult game in the early dungeons. I laugh every time someone is like "guys I just got this game and beat my first boss and I'm doing great this is easy!!!!"

Alright, so what am I doing wrong?

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Buy more shovels

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sturdy shovels and swarthy workmen.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I don't think you literally replace the Ancestor, you're just kicking the can down the road for your replacement to find and fix. You do some pretty lovely things in the course of the campaign but I'm pretty sure you're not sacrificing any waifs to the fish gods or creating horrible misshapen pig abominations, that's all on the old guy. NG+ demonstrates what happened to your old player avatar and it's not being the Ancestor's stand-in.

On the one hand I agree it would be nice if NG+ had a different ending. On the other hand, the whole point of the ending sequence is that the world is hosed by its very nature. There's no defeating the ancient evil and saving the world because the world is the ancient evil.

But in fitting for the genre, you're hosed in the scale of geological time but who knows how long you bought?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I know I gotta change poo poo up when every veteran run into the ruins has left at least one guy dead and/or the whole party nearly insane halfway through. gently caress.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well poo poo, I've gotten my two level 6 Hellions killed in the first two Darkest Dungeon missions. I'm sorry Ros and Achard, that was supposed to be your grand finale before retirement, and now, well.

Also, I realize now that I don't actually have the kind of level 6 guys that I'd want for the last two missions. And everything I've read about the last Darkest Dungeon levels and the ending sounds pretty dumb anyway. So now I feel like leaving this playthrough be and restarting so I can just play the normal runs (which I enjoy) on and off and don't have to see the silly but kind of annoying random animations that start happening once you've set foot into the Darkest Dungeon.

Demiurge4 posted:

Everything, obviously. But personally, I think the early game - with an unupgraded hamlet and a roster composition decided to a large degree by random chance - is one of the harder parts, really, especially when you don't know the bosses and all.

It's mostly the mid-game that's easy. And late game outside of the Darkest Dungeon isn't hard either - you can get hosed over by bullshit crits more easily at high levels, but that's really about it.

Bad Seafood posted:

Sturdy shovels and swarthy workmen.
And a good dog.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Just a little PSA -

It's possible to die to a Heart Attack immediately after retreating from combat.

And I had thought I'd squeak out with the loot in the end.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
So based on posting in the thread, I decided to experiment with using more sustain, so I brought both a Plague Doctor and a Vestal to a champion cove dungeon. It worked out great, but it was really tedious whittling down stunned Uca Savages, since the doctor was too busy piling on extra stuns most of the time to add blight. It did give me plenty of time to do more heals, but this felt pretty cheesy. I can't even imagine how tedious it would be to go whole-hog stunparty before they did the stun resist and reinforcements changes.

The fact that there are so few ways to deal with high prot is a significant plus for the dogemaster's and bounty hunter's mark as compared to the occultist's or arbalest's.

e:VVVVV Incorrect! Accidentally forgetting to bring shovels (to the Weald) is even worse. I'm pretty sure I've done both and I expect forgetting food would be worse still.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 31, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
let me tell you accidentally forgetting to bring torches to an expedition is the most tense poo poo

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Afraid of Audio posted:

let me tell you accidentally forgetting to bring torches to an expedition is the most tense poo poo

Use campfire logs if you need light in med/long expeditions. All you actually need is food.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Use campfire logs if you need light in med/long expeditions. All you actually need is food.

i did, but that can only stave off the darkness so much

and then: instant shambler

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

That's something I really like about this game. I'm used to games like this (mostly XCOM) getting easier as you go--you lose dudes a lot at the start, struggle to keep up with enemies, but then each new mechanic you learn about serves to strengthen you and eventually you're steamrolling through with zero casualties.

Darkest Dungeon seems to be the inverse. Granted, I've only gotten to Veteran dungeons, but it seems like I've gotten access to all of the tools I'm going to get. The Apprentice dungeons introduced me to all of them in a way that required me to learn them but didn't utterly demolish me if I didn't. Veteran already seems to assume I've got my poo poo together. I like it. It's cool that I can't just outlevel the game and that the balance assumes that I'm playing the absolute best I can, rather than just crumbling if I do.

poptart_fairy posted:

Only thing I really dislike about the game is having to grind replacement adventurers up from level 0 if (when) their predecessor bites it.

It seems like there should be a way to recruit higher-level adventurers eventually. Not equal-level to your best adventurers, but higher than 0. I can see that getting really tedious once I'm farther in.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Afraid of Audio posted:

i did, but that can only stave off the darkness so much

and then: instant shambler

No I mean, you generally don't need to camp unless your team is in trouble... and you shouldn't really care about being at 0 darkness unless your team is in trouble. They go hand in hand. I'll take torches on short and long trips, but never medium ones.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Harrow posted:

That's something I really like about this game. I'm used to games like this (mostly XCOM) getting easier as you go--you lose dudes a lot at the start, struggle to keep up with enemies, but then each new mechanic you learn about serves to strengthen you and eventually you're steamrolling through with zero casualties.

Darkest Dungeon seems to be the inverse. Granted, I've only gotten to Veteran dungeons, but it seems like I've gotten access to all of the tools I'm going to get. The Apprentice dungeons introduced me to all of them in a way that required me to learn them but didn't utterly demolish me if I didn't. Veteran already seems to assume I've got my poo poo together. I like it. It's cool that I can't just outlevel the game and that the balance assumes that I'm playing the absolute best I can, rather than just crumbling if I do.
I wouldn't say it's the inverse. It's more like an overall high curve with a dip in the midgame. It can be somewhat difficult at first (to extremely difficult depending on your luck), gets much easier once you start getting upgrades, then it spikes as monsters get some considerable boosts at Champion and you're just sort of limping to your final upgrades if you haven't already hit the upgrade wall, and at that point your guys aren't getting much better and you'd better have good compositions and play right and get a little lucky.

If anything, it gives off the impression that it's getting easier, then dickpunches you at Champion tier where it expects you to be (statistically) prepared.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

TastyLemonDrops posted:

No I mean, you generally don't need to camp unless your team is in trouble... and you shouldn't really care about being at 0 darkness unless your team is in trouble. They go hand in hand. I'll take torches on short and long trips, but never medium ones.

if everything goes great and you dont get a shambler sure go for it

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Okay, maybe not the booty monster linked earlier, but I'm actually legit excited about new skins and new adventurers added to the game via mod.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Crasical posted:

Okay, maybe not the booty monster linked earlier, but I'm actually legit excited about new skins and new adventurers added to the game via mod.

It makes me want to reskin the entire game into Metal Gear Solid theme.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Snak posted:

It makes me want to reskin the entire game into Metal Gear Solid theme.
Slowly, gently, these are the basics of CQC.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So on the subject of forgetting stuff on missions, I just made a terrible mistake; I forgot to equip my plague doctor and occultist with trinkets before sending them on a level 5 medium warrens mission.

Do you know how many stuns/blights a plague doc can inflict on swine without trinkets? About none. So the mission started as a trainwreck and I figured this was going to finally be the mission I have to abandon or lose someone in. Unless I get incredibly lucky and have the entire party get virtues instead of screaming at each other.

Oh would you look at that :shepface:

They are all diseased and horribly stressed, but they won

EDIT: ahahaah well the game heard me talking poo poo

I needed that healer. gently caress.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 31, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's taken about 30+ weeks but I now have three level three adventurers in my roster!

The deaths of dozens of lesser adventurers are vindicated now. And I beat my second boss. I am making extremely slow and costly progress!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

posted it elsewhere but might as well repost it here

I hope totalbiscuit appears out of nowhere and owns you on this bad opinion as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

hell yes, games forum

You're a bad poster