Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Button was really dang good this week. Also Superman. Also Green Lanterns.

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Hey guys. This week I decided to read some new books. At the moment, I'm reading Superman, Deathstroke, Titans, Teen Titans, Super Sons, and a bunch of poo poo from Marvel. Anything from Rebirth that I'm missing and should be reading with my eyeballs?

Also why can't Super Sons double ship. That book is so good and I hate having to wait to see what poo poo Jon and Damian are getting into. This is the Trunk's/Goten book I always wanted to cop. (Get on it Toriyama!)
Out of Rebirth, I've really enjoyed Detective Comics, New Super-Man, Wonder Woman, Green Lanterns (though it takes a few issues to find its groove), and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. Rebirth really vitalized a lot of books, so it's hard to go too wrong with any choice. Heck, it might actually be easier to recommend things not to read!

(It's Blue Beetle. Don't read that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You should definitely be reading Detective and probably Batman too. I just realized Damian is on his way to being in more books every month than his dad.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Roth posted:

I think the first comic I ever started getting and wasn't something that my parents had as kids was the Ending Battle arc of Superman.

I never did get all the issues, and to this day, I still have no idea how it ends
Oh man, Ending Battle. That's my pick for most criminally underrated Superman story -- the single issue where Lex has found out Superman's secret identity and just has a polite conversation with Superman about it is the highpoint, but the whole thing is great, I think.

If you want to know how it ends: Superman comes home from his terrible no-good day of being screwed with from every angle to find Lois dead in their apartment, with Manchester Black gloating over her corpse. Black's been fuming over the end of What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way, and has finally come up with this as a retort: you're only so self-righteous because you live a perfect little life, so I ruined it for you and capped the whole thing off by torturing and murdering your wife, let's see how goody-two-shoes you are now. Superman is enraged and beats the holy hell out of Black, but refrains from killing him, preparing instead to bring Black into custody. Black says he'll just get free and do it again, Superman says no you won't, because I'm going to dedicate my life to keeping you in jail, but I won't kill you, no matter what.

At this, Black finally realizes that Superman isn't self-righteous, or pretending, or deluding everyone -- he really is that good. Black reveals his motives -- he was basically pulling a Killing Joke, giving Superman one bad day to prove that he wasn't any better than Black. But Superman instead proved the opposite. Disgusted with himself, he waves off everything he's done; releasing the villains from his control, removing the knowledge of Superman's secret identity from Luthor's memory... and revealing that Lois is fine, and the corpse was a psionic illusion. While Superman is distracted by this reveal, Black slips away. Later, by himself, Black reflects that Superman is a true hero and that he, Manchester Black, has become just another supervillain. Unable to live with this state of affairs and apparently unwilling to change them, Black instead puts a finger-gun to his own head and uses his powers to kill himself.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Hey guys. This week I decided to read some new books. At the moment, I'm reading Superman, Deathstroke, Titans, Teen Titans, Super Sons, and a bunch of poo poo from Marvel. Anything from Rebirth that I'm missing and should be reading with my eyeballs?

Also why can't Super Sons double ship. That book is so good and I hate having to wait to see what poo poo Jon and Damian are getting into. This is the Trunk's/Goten book I always wanted to cop. (Get on it Toriyama!)

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, Detective Comics, Batman, Justice League of America, Kamandi Challenge, Doom Patrol, and Cave Carson.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mr Hootington posted:

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, Detective Comics, Batman, Justice League of America, Kamandi Challenge, Doom Patrol, and Cave Carson.
Adding to that -- Action Comics, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, and Trinity.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys. I totally blanked on the fact that I'm also reading Batman and it's fantastic. I'm gonna check out all those other books though. It's a good time to be a DC fan.

Also, Damian is on his way to being in more books than his dad and I for one love it. The little jerk is actually starting to grow on me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys. I totally blanked on the fact that I'm also reading Batman and it's fantastic. I'm gonna check out all those other books though. It's a good time to be a DC fan.

Also, Damian is on his way to being in more books than his dad and I for one love it. The little jerk is actually starting to grow on me.

I think part of the reason I love Damian so much is that he's actually a bigger jerk than Bruce. Used to be Batman was the Bad Cop and Robin was the Good Cop. When Dick was Batman they switched this up, suddenly Dick was a friendly, cheerful Batman who asked cops how their families are doing, and Damian was a snotty, violent Robin. But when you put Bruce back as Batman suddenly they're both Bad Cops and Bruce gets to experience what all of his friends and allies have been going through working with him all these years. He's proud of his son, of course, but you can sort of see times when Bruce has to be saying to himself "jeez, dial it back a little, kid".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh man. I was looking up some stuff on the DC site and managed to stumble upon the cover of an upcoming issue of Superman and it spoiled who the villain of this arc is. So maybe don't look at the cover of any future issues if you don't want to know. It was not anyone close to what I was expecting and if accurate I like where this story is heading. So don't ruin it for yourselves.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Oh man, Ending Battle. That's my pick for most criminally underrated Superman story -- the single issue where Lex has found out Superman's secret identity and just has a polite conversation with Superman about it is the highpoint, but the whole thing is great, I think.

If you want to know how it ends: Superman comes home from his terrible no-good day of being screwed with from every angle to find Lois dead in their apartment, with Manchester Black gloating over her corpse. Black's been fuming over the end of What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way, and has finally come up with this as a retort: you're only so self-righteous because you live a perfect little life, so I ruined it for you and capped the whole thing off by torturing and murdering your wife, let's see how goody-two-shoes you are now. Superman is enraged and beats the holy hell out of Black, but refrains from killing him, preparing instead to bring Black into custody. Black says he'll just get free and do it again, Superman says no you won't, because I'm going to dedicate my life to keeping you in jail, but I won't kill you, no matter what.

At this, Black finally realizes that Superman isn't self-righteous, or pretending, or deluding everyone -- he really is that good. Black reveals his motives -- he was basically pulling a Killing Joke, giving Superman one bad day to prove that he wasn't any better than Black. But Superman instead proved the opposite. Disgusted with himself, he waves off everything he's done; releasing the villains from his control, removing the knowledge of Superman's secret identity from Luthor's memory... and revealing that Lois is fine, and the corpse was a psionic illusion. While Superman is distracted by this reveal, Black slips away. Later, by himself, Black reflects that Superman is a true hero and that he, Manchester Black, has become just another supervillain. Unable to live with this state of affairs and apparently unwilling to change them, Black instead puts a finger-gun to his own head and uses his powers to kill himself.

Funny you mention that character. DC just accidentally spoiled the end of the current Superman story. Don't click if you don't want to know, obviously.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/03/dc-comics-reveals-mystery-superman-big-bad-possibly-mistake-spoilers/

I actually thought that might be the case after seeing the name in your spoiler, and an hour later it came true!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Funny you mention that character. DC just accidentally spoiled the end of the current Superman story. Don't click if you don't want to know, obviously.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/03/dc-comics-reveals-mystery-superman-big-bad-possibly-mistake-spoilers/

I actually thought that might be the case after seeing the name in your spoiler, and an hour later it came true!
That is a character I am loving thrilled to see come back, so I am :dance: right now at the news.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

See they shouldn't have put it out so easy to find. I kind of hate they did that.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

purple death ray posted:

I think part of the reason I love Damian so much is that he's actually a bigger jerk than Bruce. Used to be Batman was the Bad Cop and Robin was the Good Cop. When Dick was Batman they switched this up, suddenly Dick was a friendly, cheerful Batman who asked cops how their families are doing, and Damian was a snotty, violent Robin. But when you put Bruce back as Batman suddenly they're both Bad Cops and Bruce gets to experience what all of his friends and allies have been going through working with him all these years. He's proud of his son, of course, but you can sort of see times when Bruce has to be saying to himself "jeez, dial it back a little, kid".

Batman probably be trying to sit back and relax while making up some plans for taking down all his friends but can't because Damian wanna go punch some bad guys in the balls. Very hard being a single Batdad.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Batman #22: I can't be the only one disappointed that Thomas didn't migrate over to the main universe

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Batman probably be trying to sit back and relax while making up some plans for taking down all his friends but can't because Damian wanna go punch some bad guys in the balls. Very hard being a single Batdad.

He walks in on Damian concocting plans to take out all of the Teen Titans, just in case. A single tear leaks from beneath his cowl. He gives his son a thumbs up and walks away. Alfred finds him in the cave later, working on a contingency plan to take out his own son, after realizing with pride that the old Damian contingency wouldn't be enough.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Booooooooooooooooooo! Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

purple death ray posted:

He walks in on Damian concocting plans to take out all of the Teen Titans, just in case. A single tear leaks from beneath his cowl. He gives his son a thumbs up and walks away. Alfred finds him in the cave later, working on a contingency plan to take out his own son, after realizing with pride that the old Damian contingency wouldn't be enough.

Batman: Alfred, that boy may one day become our world's greatest threat.

Alfred: I'm sorry that he's become such a disappointment, sir. Guess we'll send him back to his mother.

Batman: Send him back to his mother? No. You misunderstand. I'm promoting him. He's Batman now.

AllNewJonasSalk fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 3, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oooh man that actually makes me even more excited for this story. It's, like, actually a perfect revelation.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I like how the entirety of this issue of THE BUTTON can be summarized by Barry Allen explicitly like on panel going "so uh the Cosmic Treadmill travels through time, and not through dimensions... but I guess we're in the Flashpoint dimension now?"

"Wait no no, Flashpoint wasn't even an alternate dimension, it was OUR universe overwritten by time travel so uh I really don't know the gently caress we're here."

"Actually like... how does any of this make sense? Like, I watched Thomas Wayne die and like the world was about to explode when I switched things back, none of this makes any sense, I have no idea why we're here, uh......."

"Hey Bruce and Thomas, have an awkward moment together I guess?"

"Okay bye, story over. OH RIGHT WE WERE CHASING THAWNE, poo poo."

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The arc is literally called "Black Dawn" guys. I think most people called this last issue.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
/co/ has been calling Black Dawn's villain for a while.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, ain't they smart.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wasn't he in that New 52 Teen Titans comic, too?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

KaosMachina posted:

Wasn't he in that New 52 Teen Titans comic, too?

It was the DC You one with the Rocafort art. I barely even remember what he did in that, and it's really not worth a read even if you're the world's biggest fan of that character.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was something like, he was a STAR Labs employee who tried to manipulate Tim into letting him run the TTs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Flintstones was good this month

Hipsters move into Bedrock and Gazoo is called back so the Neighborhood Watch Association can determine if Earth is a threat or not, if it is, blammo. Gazoo is against this, due to the ethical issues of judging a civilization that's so young and still finding its way. Eventually he agrees to the scan but asks if he be allowed to choose who gets brain scanned.

He chooses Dino.

Also Barney carves a statue of himself and Fred to be friends forever.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I'm glad Barney takes his influence from roughly Part 3/4 Araki

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

yeah that statue has his uniquely chiseled features in the design

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Everything is a JoJo's reference™

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Furedo Furinsuton and his terrifying Stand, Rolling Stone!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Reminder, the Allreds start a New Gods related comic this week :toot:

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Pebbles is into glam rock (rock glam?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpA-7dNuobU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/VKMarion/status/860317752224923649

Pretty cool

SMP
May 5, 2009

Anyone know if Denny O'Neil's Batman work is totally collected on Comixology anywhere? I see there's three volumes of "Illustrated by Neal Adams" which has a lot of it I imagine, but I don't think he illustrated everything O'Neil wrote.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SMP posted:

Anyone know if Denny O'Neil's Batman work is totally collected on Comixology anywhere? I see there's three volumes of "Illustrated by Neal Adams" which has a lot of it I imagine, but I don't think he illustrated everything O'Neil wrote.

Last I checked there were chunks missing, but I don't know specifics and could be wrong.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Reminder, the Allreds start a New Gods related comic this week :toot:

Tell me more, my friend.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SMP posted:

I don't know if there's a better solution but the colouring in those is all modernized and terrible.

They've since put out Batman artist collections that are far more faithful to the old art, so I hope they reprint like that.

Dan Didio posted:

Tell me more, my friend.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/preview-your-first-look-at-the-newest-young-animal-bug-the-adventures-of-forager-1/

edit: \/Oops. Replaced with a preview\/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 5, 2017

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That's showing me the wrong comic, but I looked it up and Bug! looks cool as gently caress. I'm down.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't know if there's a better solution but the colouring in those is all modernized and terrible.

They've since put out Batman artist collections that are far more faithful to the old art, so I hope they reprint like that.

Good God. Nevermind.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: \/Oops. Replaced with a preview\/

Powerfully good. I'll definitely be picking that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SMP posted:

Good God. Nevermind.

Yeah I got an old version of the birth of the demon trade which contains the old art