Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

America sucks and everything but it's kind of funny when people are like "I went to an American diner and there was so much food no wonder you're a fat country"
It's kind of the schtick of the diner in general and there's supposed to be way too much and you bring it home or split it or whatever. It's like getting mad at Japanese food because you went to a Tokyo hotel ayce buffet lunch.

Also I can't remember the last time I ate at a loving diner it's not exactly like a common thing for most people.

There's plenty of real reasons to hate it here without inventing new ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The reason to hate American diner food is years of being burned by tasteless "sawmill gravy" or any of the ten thousand photos I have posted in the Americana thread tbh. the fact that certain types of restaurants give you x amount of poo poo is such a boring thing to even think about

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also have never had a pancake that was sweet without adding toppings. In the US anyway, in Japan I have.

I have pancakes like twice a year? Sometimes the craving appears and you gotta pancake.

hallo spacedog posted:

It's very weird.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Quit krapfen on my plate and tellin' me it's a pancake

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pancakes are nice, but I prefer crumpets. Is there a US equivalent of a crumpet? I've seen them compared to biscuits or english muffins, but they are pretty different from either.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

hallo spacedog posted:

The tone of my post wasn't meant to be hating on the US and its food, I was just replying to the guy who seemed to be surprised by the idea that US-style pancakes were perceived as unhealthy. The difference between a French breakfast of a croissant and coffee and US style stack of pancakes comes down to quantity.

The diner was just the first example that was relevant because we were talking about pancakes. Obviously people don't eat there all the time but it'd be like going to a cafe in the UK and being served a full English breakfast with a free side of crumpets or whatever. Excess on top of excess. But it's not contentious to say that portions are universally huge across the US in most kinds of restaurant. That's a good and a bad thing.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That's my point though, you're supposed to take the food home not eat it all

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pookah posted:

Pancakes are nice, but I prefer crumpets. Is there a US equivalent of a crumpet? I've seen them compared to biscuits or english muffins, but they are pretty different from either.

I never had them, but I pictured them more like English muffins. Looks like they're actually cooked up on the stovetop though, more like a yeasty pancake?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
the reason to hate american diner food is the utter contempt for their customers even though it's a "small town local business that cares." Bullshit. Those places are always mega dirty and the food quality sucks, and they know it cause every small business owner in america is a legit psycho.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My attitude toward pancakes is roughly in line with Mitch Hedberg's

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

LifeSunDeath posted:

the reason to hate american diner food is the utter contempt for their customers even though it's a "small town local business that cares." Bullshit. Those places are always mega dirty and the food quality sucks, and they know it cause every small business owner in america is a legit psycho.

This is the true diner experience. Low effort food still half-assed on the dirtiest cooking areas possible.
The appeal is really, for me, that I can go get a double bacon and a triple stack on the side with a milkshake for lunch.

I am a bit confused if people think plate size pancakes are the side order ones. I'm used to huge pancakes as a main and smaller ones coming in a side stack.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Pookah posted:

The crumpet equivalent is basically just crumpets themselves, or certain airy bubbly pancakes. You can find them in some places here, but not commonly. They're still in that "imported British food" genre, but are much less ubiquitous than English muffins or scones.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The kind of people who can distinguish a crumpet and an English muffin is the sort of people who talks about crumb and hydration ratio and checks temperature oven or griddle temperature with a high precision element. Who are my sort of people but let me tell you, we are not that popular with others.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Schubalts posted:

What loving American pancake recipes are people seeing that have a ton of sugar in the batter itself? Not even American boxed pancake mix has a noticeable amount of sugar in it (one right in front of me is 8 grams of sugar in a 61 gram serving of dry mix).

Getting flashbacks to people saying American bread is too sugary when even storebought is one tablespoon in an entire loaf.

What people are calling American pancakes is a recipe brought there by Scots migrants. In Scotland and parts of Ireland they're what people will assume you're talking about if you say pancake. If you want to talk about the thin ones you have to refer to them as crepes.

Americans get a pass on the sugar content because look at this poo poo (they're slightly smaller than the American variants too):

I usually make a cut across the top and throw a big hunk of butter in there while they're still in the pan.

They're also a staple of an Ulster Fry, which is the Northern Irish equivalent of a Full English Breakfast, so also a breakfast item in parts of the UK.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Butterfly Valley posted:

The tone of my post wasn't meant to be hating on the US and its food, I was just replying to the guy who seemed to be surprised by the idea that US-style pancakes were perceived as unhealthy. The difference between a French breakfast of a croissant and coffee and US style stack of pancakes comes down to quantity.

The point really is that you're implying here that a stack of pancakes is a normal US breakfast, which it absolutely is not.

I also have no idea how typical a croissant and coffee is but it sounds more likely than pancakes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Schubalts posted:

What loving American pancake recipes are people seeing that have a ton of sugar in the batter itself? Not even American boxed pancake mix has a noticeable amount of sugar in it (one right in front of me is 8 grams of sugar in a 61 gram serving of dry mix).

Getting flashbacks to people saying American bread is too sugary when even storebought is one tablespoon in an entire loaf.

Learning store bought white bread had any sugar in at all was horrifying. It's not even a nice sweet bread like brioche, it's just bland and may as well not be there.

And it's definitely not got the nice crumb of a good sweet bread too

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Runa posted:

Learning store bought white bread had any sugar in at all was horrifying. It's not even a nice sweet bread like brioche, it's just bland and may as well not be there.

And it's definitely not got the nice crumb of a good sweet bread too
You kind of describe the goals of sandwich loaf in what you don't like about it:
Sugar added in an amount that doesn't turn it sweet so it can still be used in savory sandwiches and toast
While still added in an amount allowing an extremely fine, boring, melt in your mouth crumb
Bonus, sugar helps preserve bread longer and makes it turn a pleasing brown in the toaster before it reaches Captain Crunch levels of mouth daggers.

Except for some of the white breads aiming for Hawaiian rolls/actual sweet bread levels, it's not really added in calorie density affecting amounts so it's not like it's a dietary problem. It's just boring on purpose not least of all it's one of the cheapest possible preservatives.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

All white bread is basically candy and not in compliance with the Jante Law.

The only acceptable bread is rye or wafer thin multigrain crispy bread.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

FreudianSlippers posted:

All white bread is basically candy and not in compliance with the Jante Law.

The only acceptable bread is rye or wafer thin multigrain crispy bread.

Whoa get a loaf of the bread police

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Butterfly Valley posted:

The diner was just the first example that was relevant because we were talking about pancakes. Obviously people don't eat there all the time but it'd be like going to a cafe in the UK and being served a full English breakfast with a free side of crumpets or whatever. Excess on top of excess. But it's not contentious to say that portions are universally huge across the US in most kinds of restaurant. That's a good and a bad thing.

I never said pancakes were healthy, I said that sugary baked goods for breakfast are not uniquely American.

I do agree on quantity, I'm a big dude and I can't even get half way through a stack of diner pancakes without getting nauseous, and it's not like they reheat well. I guess they're cheap as hell so might as well give the customer a much as they could possibly want.

I'll make a nice (single) pancake full of blueberries for brunch or breakfast-for-dinner once every few months.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Pleads posted:

Whoa get a loaf of the bread police

:v:Stop hitting me with stale baguettes, have you no pita for your fellow man?
:cop: Focaccia That! Imma knead your pumpernickel!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Data Graham posted:

My attitude toward pancakes is roughly in line with Mitch Hedberg's

They’re great if you’re really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I had to post this somewhere, and couldn't find a better thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NZujiu3A7g
Probably delicious, but the guy is absolutely laughing all the time he prepares that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Italians love simplicity.

Anything that has more than five ingredients makes them uneasy.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

VictualSquid posted:

I had to post this somewhere, and couldn't find a better thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NZujiu3A7g
Probably delicious, but the guy is absolutely laughing all the time he prepares that.

I mean literally not too different then what I make for my actual kid to eat

She hates pancakes

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Hygiene posted:

I never had them, but I pictured them more like English muffins. Looks like they're actually cooked up on the stovetop though, more like a yeasty pancake?

They are quite different from everything else; I always assumed they had a lot of egg because of the texture, but it seems like it's just heavily developed gluten that makes them the way they are.
They toast up really well, and are neutrally flavored, so you can either butter n syrup them, or throw on a savory topping, like a poached egg and they are still really good.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Crumpet with peanut butter is my preferred pre run/row snack. They're spongy and a bit crunchy once toasted. They're great.
Very popular in Australia

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Crumpets are an interesting texture, crisp base and spongy top. Nothing soaks up butter like a crumpet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But do they have nooks and/or crannies?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

exclusively

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
bizarrely the steak house i went to the other day had a "Last of Us" HBO series tie-in special. cordy-steak.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:yikes:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

bizarrely the steak house i went to the other day had a "Last of Us" HBO series tie-in special. cordy-steak.

what the gently caress

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Nettle Soup posted:

I dunno, what's peoples pancake recipes?

This is my dad's pancake recipe, which is from my Norwegian great grandmother and is called "skinny pancakes" (to distinguish them from regular American pancakes)

quote:

One egg
1⁄2 cup flour
3⁄4 cup milk
1⁄4 cup sugar

Mix ingredients until smooth.
Heat pan hot enough to make butter sizzle and begin to brown. Add butter. Once melted, spoon a small
amount of the batter into the pan and rock the pan to distribute batter evenly. Cook until bottom begins to
brown then flip and cook until brown moon-craters form.
Add a little bit of butter to the pan and repeat.
The trick is to figure out the right amount of heat to use, and just how much batter to put in the pan.

As you know, I use an omelette pan. I use a wok ladle to measure out the batter. I have never measured
how much batter I use but it's maybe a tablespoon or two. I use enough heat such that if I don't get the
new bit of butter in the pan and add the batter right away, the butter will begin to smoke. Basically, it's
right on the edge of burning the butter all the time.

Put a line of sugar down the middle, roll it up in a cylinder, and eat it like that

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This is my dad's pancake recipe, which is from my Norwegian great grandmother and is called "skinny pancakes" (to distinguish them from regular American pancakes)

Put a line of sugar down the middle, roll it up in a cylinder, and eat it like that

Oh no, sugar?! loving disgusting :barf:
Just kidding this sounds tasty

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
It's the traditional breakfast my dad would make for birthdays, holidays, and sleepovers, and never until I got with my husband did anyone suggest putting a sausage inside instead of sugar.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

axolotl farmer posted:

They’re great if you’re really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaPzPhEp5HE

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

It's the traditional breakfast my dad would make for birthdays, holidays, and sleepovers, and never until I got with my husband did anyone suggest putting a sausage inside instead of sugar.

That's Krumkakes, or something similar right?

They're delicious, but very sweet, my GF and I made 'em filled with hazelnut spread we made from my Filbert trees for the holidays last year.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Jun 2, 2023

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Nettle Soup posted:

I dunno, what's peoples pancake recipes?

Vegan pancakes. The thin Euro kind.

1 part chickpea flour, 1 part all-purpose flour, 2 parts (approx.) water. Salt. Mix and let sit for 20 min or so.

Needs more oil or whatever you fry in than eggs-and-milk pancakes since there's less fat in the batter.

I have made this for omnivore kids, without complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My partner makes vegan pancakes with our sourdough starter, but I don't think he has a recipe, just mixes it up with flour and water until it has the right consistancy and then lets it sit overnight to gain some bubbles.