Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

I swear Reznor put his studio recording gear in a shed and recorded himself firing a few shells of 00 buckshot.
IIRC a lot of the sounds in Quake were Trent and Chris Vrenna messing around with synthesizers, stock libraries, amateur foley work and whatever else was at hand in various hotel rooms while touring. Other sounds were either stock libraries or contributed by various Id guys - allegedly, the grenade launcher's sounds involve a sonar, a drum kit, and fireworks getting launched off of American McGee's roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the soundwork in quake is genuinely masterful and i love every bit of it

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Shadow Hog posted:

Yes, I know it's redbook audio - and I always had the CD audio setting on Windows 9x cranked all the way up to the max, same as the other sliders, unless I had good reason not to (which rarely happened, but did happen). It was always louder than this.
Your average consumer soundcard wasn't calibrated for 0 dBmV across all channels at "max volume" or whatever, so while it may have typically been louder with this configuration I wouldn't say that was intended.

Shadow Hog posted:

At least with your opinion, you have the option of turning it down to match your preferred balance. I can't go above 100% volume to get the sound I used to have.
So like I said, on Switch you have to turn the system volume up way higher relative to other games, then turn the sound effects volume down to match what you want. Maybe you can't do that if you're already maxing out the system volume. Either way, I do think it would be good if Nightdive could rebalance the audio so that at least the sound effects were consistent with other games on the platform. If they do that, you should be able to adjust your music volume from there.

I just wouldn't characterize the situation as "the music is broken on Switch", or that it's necessarily quieter than it "should" be since "should" is very much subjective here.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Since the original Half-Life any game that has allowed me to tinker with its files and replace sound effects has resulted in me spending days worth of time redoing sfx I think are weak or out of place or so recognizably stock it's distracting.

Quake is the only game that I can do that to that I haven't because I think changing ANY of the sounds would be sacrilege. The sound design is THAT good. And I don't even like Quake that much lol.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Someone replace the Spawn SFX with Macho Man plz

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Kins posted:

Weird, I have the GOG version of Descent 3 installed on my D drive and InjectD3 worked fine. :shrug:
It's an odd thing, I'm not sure what causes it. Happens with vanilla D3 as well.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

I use the grenade bounce sound for my whatsapp notification sound. I also love how the super nailgun sounds.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Quake uses a stock water dripping sound that bugs me because I have heard it in a dozen other things. Two drips followed by six fast drips. I would change that and nothing else.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
There exists an unprocessed wav file that is three minutes forty seconds of Trent Reznor grunting, moaning and screaming, and once in a while you go “oh that’s the jump sound!” or “was that the lava pain sound?” and it’s very unsettling.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hup

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Lmao at some goons saying that you shouldn't be able to hear the soundtrack clearly because it's ambient.

It's definitely somewhat bugged for me on PC too, but setting the sound volume to about 3 and music to 10 and then pumping up my speakers just about works presently.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Your average consumer soundcard wasn't calibrated for 0 dBmV across all channels at "max volume" or whatever, so while it may have typically been louder with this configuration I wouldn't say that was intended.

So like I said, on Switch you have to turn the system volume up way higher relative to other games, then turn the sound effects volume down to match what you want. Maybe you can't do that if you're already maxing out the system volume. Either way, I do think it would be good if Nightdive could rebalance the audio so that at least the sound effects were consistent with other games on the platform. If they do that, you should be able to adjust your music volume from there.

I just wouldn't characterize the situation as "the music is broken on Switch", or that it's necessarily quieter than it "should" be since "should" is very much subjective here.
When have I said anything about Switch? I have the remaster on Steam. I'm comparing it to Quakespasm, Darkplaces, even the original Winquake executable running through PCem (software or hardware renderer, doesn't matter, audio backend shouldn't change, surely). The music balance is too drat quiet compared to all of these.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's less saying that it's not going to be heard clearly because it's ambient and more that there has been a streak of comments online since the remaster released with people saying they think the music is bugged and not playing at all when in reality they think it's supposed to be something different than what it is and are expecting, like, buttrock tracks or something

after a point it's difficult to tell posts apart

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgo5BNbiGMo

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
On the Switch the music is absolutely lower than it should be and arguing against that with "it's not supposed to be butt rock" is obnoxious and assholish. You should be able to hear it without dropping the effects down to 2 and turning the volume way up.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

:discourse:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Let's not forget this classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sl4dA-T53I

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

No, it isn't that. The music is genuinely quieter than it should be. It's something I picked up on while playing, too, and I've put a ton of hours in Quake with the Trent Reznor soundtrack seeping its ambience into everything - so I'm not fond of the assumption made repeatedly in this thread that anyone commenting on the music being too quiet must not be familiar with the soundtrack.

TheScott2K posted:

On the Switch the music is absolutely lower than it should be and arguing against that with "it's not supposed to be butt rock" is obnoxious and assholish.

wow. sorry 2 have offended

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TheScott2K posted:

On the Switch the music is absolutely lower than it should be and arguing against that with "it's not supposed to be butt rock" is obnoxious and assholish. You should be able to hear it without dropping the effects down to 2 and turning the volume way up.

:ok:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i will remember the sound of a grenade tumbling over the ground until i die

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

czg posted:

There exists an unprocessed wav file that is three minutes forty seconds of Trent Reznor grunting, moaning and screaming, and once in a while you go “oh that’s the jump sound!” or “was that the lava pain sound?” and it’s very unsettling.

where the gently caress can i find this i need it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

where the gently caress can i find this i need it

spankbang

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i will remember the sound of a grenade tumbling over the ground until i die

the quake grenade launcher is seriously one of my top 3 fps game weapons

Weedle
May 31, 2006

when you got a clump of zombos and you get a direct hit on the middle one and they all gib...... bliss

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Weedle posted:

spankbang

you goddamned liar

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

does anyone know what's up with bethesda releasing community maps/campaigns for quake? that was a thing they promised with the remaster, and i'm not just making it up in my head, right? have they said anything about what they're going to release, or how, or when?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Shadow Hog posted:

When have I said anything about Switch? I have the remaster on Steam.
We were talking about it on Switch, you didn't mention Steam previously.

Honestly I think we're all talking about the same thing here, but if it's easier to conclude the audio behavior on Switch is suboptimal but strictly works and totally broken on the Steam port then I'll accept that too.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

True, I didn't mention Steam. So: I've been talking about Steam! I can't imagine the audio is going to be too disparate across the platforms though.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

does anyone know what's up with bethesda releasing community maps/campaigns for quake? that was a thing they promised with the remaster, and i'm not just making it up in my head, right? have they said anything about what they're going to release, or how, or when?
It's been less than two weeks, hasn't it? Give it a few months at least, the Doom add-ons get trotted out pretty infrequently as it is.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The soundtrack doesn’t sound too low to me on Switch.:shrug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lucky you

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

It's been less than two weeks, hasn't it? Give it a few months at least, the Doom add-ons get trotted out pretty infrequently as it is.

i won't wait and you can't make me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Luckily for you it’s an easy enough problem to fix.

I have a similar issue playing Sigil on Switch Doom. The music is way too low.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 31, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

when you got a clump of zombos and you get a direct hit on the middle one and they all gib...... bliss

I don't like that "mwwomp" sound you hear a few seconds after gibbing a zombie though. It's so weird.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oxyclean posted:

I don't like that "mwwomp" sound you hear a few seconds after gibbing a zombie though. It's so weird.

I like to imagine it’s the zombie’s severed head making the noises. The gibing noises are the most disgusting in this game and I love it.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

that sound is the best

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm not appreciating the amount of instant death traps and lava in Dimension of the Machine. I'm looking at you, "Hell or Dark Water". They're pretty obnoxious and break the flow. Especially if it's something like having to trigger a crusher to jump on top of it but you get despite just stepping a toe into it you get squashed because apparently the speed while backpedaling is slower in this port. At that point it just turns into a quicksave-fest. Kind of disappointing considering the on point level design of the other two "episodes".

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Playing Quake has got me in the mood to play classic Doom - and I picked up the modern Bethesda ports on my PS4.

Without digging through Cacowards, is the selection of "Official" add-ons pretty solid? I've somehow never played the Final Doom level sets or Master Levels - or pretty much anything else listed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah there's some good stuff there, they're all tiny download sizes as well so worth getting them and trying for a few mins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Playing Quake has got me in the mood to play classic Doom - and I picked up the modern Bethesda ports on my PS4.

Without digging through Cacowards, is the selection of "Official" add-ons pretty solid? I've somehow never played the Final Doom level sets or Master Levels - or pretty much anything else listed.

Yes, it’s all good stuff worth checking out. They occasionally add more too.