Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOnionKnight
Dec 16, 2013

snooman posted:

The Crippled God - Final book of The Malazan Book of the Fallen series, by Steven Erikson

The series is three-and-a-half million words of a complex, fractured story covering three hundred thousand years of history, with a huge cast of characters who disappear with some frequency and occasionally reappear in later books. The author has given me a much greater appreciation of the dictionary feature on my Kindle than I previously had.

I'm starting the Malazan series now. Apparently, Steven Erikson was trained as an archaeologist. I imagine that could influence a fantasy author's writing in some pretty cool ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013
"The Grimm Diaries Prequels volumes 1-6" by Cameron Jace

Overall, I enjoyed reading these stories. They are re-imaginings of fairy tale and other public-domain fictional characters like: Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Peter Pan. The author manages to put a new spin on vampires too, with bonus points for working in Elizabeth Balthory. It reminds me of another series that I enjoyed, The Iron Druid by Kevin Hearne; with the way that fictional characters are mixed together to tell new stories. Anyways, it's a light-hearted easy read for the holidays.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I've haven't gotten to read as much as I've wanted to due to school and stuff, but that's over with now!

I finished The Farseekers (book 2 of Obernewtyn) by Isobelle Carmody. It was quite good, though I think I preferred the first book slightly more.

After that, I read Liar by Justine Larbalestier. I don't know where to start with this book. Going in blind is the best way to read it, though it's worth noting that it was written with two ways of reading it in mind. It's Young Adult fiction, but I recommend it to anyone honestly. If the book doesn't grab you, don't give up until you've hit part 2, a bit over a third from the book. I still haven't finished my second read through where I scrutinize every bit of it.

On my Thanksgiving flight, I read Autofiction by Hitomi Kanehara. I'm pretty sure it was never published in the US for some reason, so you'd need to import it from the UK. It's about this woman, Rin, and how messed up she is. Each chapter/part is at an earlier part in her life, so you get a better idea of why she's so messed up. I've never read a book like it, so it was quite novel in that sense, but at the same time, I'm sure it could be done, like, better. I gave it four stars on Goodreads mainly because I couldn't give it 3.5. I still want to read more by this author though. I might be wrong, because the plot doesn't match Kanehara's life exactly as given by the book's small biography, but I suspect with the title and explanation of what an autofiction is, it's supposed to be like, a confession of her's. I really don't see much about the book in English period, so maybe I am completely wrong and this was a stupid idea!

Afterwards, I tried to read something lighter, so I read The Lost Crown by Sarah Miller; a YA novel about the Romanov family. It was a really interesting perspective on the Grand Duchesses while in captivity. It's a rather thick book, so it took a while to get through. I'm certainly no expert on Russia, or of that time period (but I can tell you Fabergé eggs make pretty good weapons :goonsay: ), but it seems like Ms. Miller really did her homework on it, judging from the historical notes and stuff at the end.

Since I had to return it to the library, I read Womansword by Kittredge Cherry. The book is about Japanese words and how they relate to women in particular (there are some that relate to men, I can't think of any examples since I already returned it, but basically ones about being a lazy husband and stuff). It's not a bad book by any means, but there's a slight problem. The version I read was from the 80's. I know there's a 2002 version, but I don't know if it's a reprint or updated. I'm lucky that I had my native Japanese teacher and my rather fluent in Japanese brother to confirm words with. Because as we all know, words change. Like it gave four or five words dealing with menstruation*, and my teacher said that she'd never heard anyone use two of them. Another one was a character in context with a word to mean noisiness, which is the female character ( 女) grouped together in three: (姦), apparently relating to some saying about women being noisy. My brother said that while not impossible, he couldn't think of this one off the top of his head, and was more familiar with it being used in the word for rape. Oh boy! I didn't have time to pour through the whole book with my teacher because of finals and all that, but the impression I get is that this book really needs an updated version. It's a really interesting topic for a book, so I'd love to read one that was written this century.

* Also on this note. I learned from the book that there is or was a pad company in Japan named after Anne Frank. I really don't know what to say about that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheOnionKnight posted:

I'm starting the Malazan series now. Apparently, Steven Erikson was trained as an archaeologist. I imagine that could influence a fantasy author's writing in some pretty cool ways.

Some pretty odd ways. Gardens of the Moon drops you right into the middle of things that aren't explained until later volumes, and in one or two cases aren't explained in the main sequence of ten at all. I asked Erikson once if he had given us the story out of order because that's how archaeologists nearly always make discoveries; he said he hadn't done it intentionally, but it could well have been a factor.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

I just finished Pnin. The prose was good, though not quite at the level of Lolita or Pale Fire. Apart from that and Pnin's character, it didn't really appeal to me. Certainly funny and clever, with an interesting take on the role of the narrator, but beyond that it was hard to get into. I'unno. Maybe I need more context.

Anyway. Next up: Look at the Harlequins!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Down With People posted:

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Excellent and horribly funny. The passage about the bubonic plague corpses is going to stick with me for some time.

The next book I read shouldn't be an apocalypse one, methinks.

Speaking of which, one of the books I finished recently was Breakfast of Champions, also by Vonnegut. Really wonderful and completely heartbreaking at the same time.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Microbe, by Bill Clem.

Imagine a slightly retarded Dan Brown writing a sci fi novel about a mysterious disease.

Virtually every chapter ended with "AND HE TURNED OVER THE BODY TO SEE THE MOST HORRIBLE THING IMAGINABLE" or something to that effect.

Premise is that oil rig drills big hole, hits a buried SECRET THING that the army buried cause it was a biohazard that could wipe off all life from the planet (cept they didn't, you know, actually put anything in the records to say "Don't gently caress with this spot"), and poo poo happens.

I think the weirdest part of the book was (big spoiler)them figuring out that cold kills the bacteria, and then the author completely spacing on the fact he infected SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA with this poo poo earlier in the book and never mentions it again. Just a phone call with "We've got 2 dead researchers and this weird green poo poo! What's going on?" and poof, that's all you hear about SoCal and the book ends with THANK GOD WE STOPPED THIS HORRIBLE THING.

I really for the life of me can't recommend it unless you are looking for babbies first airport fiction.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(
I re-read P.S. Your Cat Is Dead every year in December. I've never seen the play, but the book is really really excellent. If you're looking for something that will make you sad and also laugh and you find the idea of a gay burglar funny, then read this book.

I also just finished The Magus which was also very good. I really didn't understand much of it and the deeper meanings behind it all, but it was a very entertaining and wild ride. I finished it in about four days on my phone, and only until I looked it up did I realize I pounded down a 672 page book that quickly. If you are going to pick this one up, you should really go into it blind and read NOTHING about it, it makes it way better.

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?
Captain Vorpatril's Alliance

Guilty pleasure....

Ivan the Idiot has been playing the part all this time.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
Under The Dome, Stephen King. Fun read, but I was pretty let down in the end - I wanted a more clever conclusion, plus I felt like the bad guys didn't really get it bad enough.

Before that Ender's Game which I picked up so I could properly scoff at the movie when I watch it. But seriously - it was sci-fi Harry Potter meets Hunger Games (I know it came first).

Working on The Stand (another King) and Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy right now, the former being extremely entertaining and fast-paced, and the latter is read-that-sentence-again-and-just-stew-in-that-poo poo-for-a-while good.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Story of a kid living in a dystopian future who, like many other people in the future, spends his days away from the problems of the world inside a highly advanced MMO/2nd Life online game, questing for a multi-billion dollar treasure hidden within the game that has gone unsolved for five years. It was a fun premise and I had just gotten through a class on Victorian novels, so I wanted to read something easy and fun.

It was by far the worst book I've ever read.

There are many things wrong with this book, and I implore you not to purchase it or waste your time reading it.

The book's gimmick is that everyone is obssessed with 80's pop culture, so the "author" makes sure to reference different movies, videogames, and TV shows on nearly every page. The book's portrayal of "geek culture" makes it seem like anything but culture. It's really more of the "geek market." Everything he describes as "culture" is some form of media that's purchased and consumed by people. It's a book celebrating consumerism.

The book's main character is a Mary Sue, who has spent his life isolated from people, has no problems having "witty" dialog or coming up with one liners. The rest of the character's serve only as props for the main character, they are given back stories of their own, but they don't amount to anything. There are a set of Japanese characters that are little more than racist caricatures, saying someone has "no honor" or ending everyone's name in "-san." The other characters all want the same thing as the protagonist, and could betray him, but the "author" makes no use of this to actually have anything interesting happen.

Any obstacle the protagonist comes up against, usually 80's trivia or an old video game he has to beat, he immediately tells the reader that he knows this inside and out and there will be no problem in overcoming this obstacle. And then he goes on to describe himself being awesome and easily beating it.

Cline writes in a lecturing, almost purely expositional style that becomes maddening to read. He writes like a teenager, explaining things over and over again, beating the reader over the head. This book is all plot, explaining a thing that is happening, why it is happening, and then moving onto the next thing. He uses a lot clunky similies like, "...pull me out of it, like a chunk of Spam being removed from a can."

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013
Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

Which was excellent in my unending pursuit of distracting fantasy. After three books exploring this universe, I'm excited to see what else gets done with it.

For the series: Morally questionable, highly fallible, and lighthearted heroes are a nice diversion from paragons of virtue (see: Harry Potter), fonts of unthinkable power (see: Name of the Wind), or, well Game of Thrones and being depressed at the end of each chapter.

For the book itself: This book seems to talk more and more about a smaller set of characters. I'm very happy for the depth, but would like to see a slightly expanded cast as things move on.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons this morning. I loved The Terror although it was a very, very imperfect book, and everyone lauds the Hyperion Cantos as the example of literary sci-fi, so I expected quite a bit going into this.

I was a little disappointed, though. It was a good book, impressive even, and I'll read the rest of the series, but the intertextuality was clumsy, the plot as emotionless as I've ever read in a book, and the prose was boring. I don't understand the obsession a lot of people have with this series. It's okay, I guess? I haven't read a lot of science fiction. I'm getting the feeling that it's only amazing by comparison, or else something really cool happens in the coming books.

Here's what I put on goodreads

quote:

Hyperion isn't a disappointment, but it doesn't reach the vaunted heights I expected it would, considering its literary pedigree. Still, it's a good story (stories, rather) in a very vivid space-operatic universe.

Reading Hyperion, I realized I have read practically no science fiction up to this point, aside from whatever Star Wars EU dime-store trash enthralled me as a child (AC Crispin, I mean you). So it is with some disappointment that I see Simmons, while supposedly presenting a highly literary piece of sci-fi, spend so much time talking about 'maser' this and 'farcast' that—he never descends into naked explanation of technologies, but still it must be possible to write science fiction without inventing a whole glossary's worth of vocabulary. Maybe not. I don't know. It distracted me.

Another fault (in my eyes only) is how dreadfully dead-faced serious Hyperion is. There's no sense of humor anywhere. Even the comic relief, Silenus, is unfunny. It's an apocalyptic near-grimdark future that deals extensively with death and doom, sure, but the seriousness almost stilts the 'cool' factor of the space opera elements. The whole thing is emotionless.

The intertextuality is impressive, but since it was largely about poetry, I didn't get much out of that aspect of the book. The Keats obsession grows a little long in the tooth. Simmons's aggressive interest bled through to great effect in Terror, but John Keats in a shopping mall shoot-out tips scales from 'loving attention to detail' to 'English teacher fanfiction' rather heavily.

The stories are great—including the range of genres (horror, romance, hardboiled) and voices employed—the universe and its gadgets and ideas are interesting, the characters sometimes compelling, the implications of the plot considerable, and the thin literary qualities commendable, so overall I enjoyed the book. But my final critique is that it fails to stand on its own; the cliffhanger ending sucks. Glimpsing at the future direction of the series fills me with worry. The next book is about Keats? Bleugh.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I enjoyed The Terror but Hyperion just confused the hell out of me.

Drexith
Dec 30, 2013
I just finished reading A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan, and while I enjoyed the entire series I am sad its over. Jordan's attention to detail I think surpasses Tolkien, but that may just be me. Though I am happy to say that I am 167 pages into writing my own book :D so maybe one day I will see the title of my book in here.

"I don't need a guild charter to kill you Inky." Drexith Heartblade

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I recently finished Dostoyevsky's The Devils as translated by David Magarshack. Definitely the best book I've read in a while. It switches so deftly from actually funny comedy to some actually saddening tragedy, sometimes in the space of a paragraph, and it so crammed with characters and events, the latter so interesting that you don't notice that you've not seen some characters for a hundred pages. There are a couple of essays within it, but they're delivered by actual characters in times of mental weakness which all shows in what would otherwise be fairly dry philosophy. Magarshack's translation was great, really readable, though of course I've not read the original (or any other translations) so what do I know. Bit upset that my copy is completely annotation-free. Just a couple of footnotes explaining the joke-names, or educating the reader on the originals of some of the caricatures.
Also, I'm pretty sure this book served as the model for Angus Wilson's Hemlock and After and suspect I'm the first guy to notice this. Probably just the féte though, I don't know if it holds up besides that.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Drexith posted:

I just finished reading A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan, and while I enjoyed the entire series I am sad its over. Jordan's attention to detail I think surpasses Tolkien, but that may just be me.

It does, but that's not a compliment, and the ending was terrible- I'm not kidding when I say I closed the book, stood up, and immediately put the entire series in some brown grocery bags to give away.

Drexith
Dec 30, 2013
It was certainly anticlimactic but I wouldn't say it was <i>bad</i>. The end filled in all the necessary bits but did leave a bit to be desired I would say.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Good Christ, about two hours ago I got the kindle version of Goldfinch from reading the last few pages of this thread. I just realized I've read over a hundred pages.. drat it's so well written. I am a little worried about the length. For those that have read it, does it keep your attention?

I ask because my last book was The Daughters of Mars which is about a crew of nurses from Australia on a boat during WW1. It's pretty great at the start with some grisly depictions of wounded soldiers, but it's just as long, and completely petered out for me in the middle and I haven't picked it up again since. It just sucks when that happens.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Yes, it maintains being really good.

There's a change to the story coming up that, when I realized what was happening, I thought, "Ugh, this is not going to be my cup of tea" (relative to what the book had been about so far) but that section of the book was actually really good, it introduced an awesome character, and then the book just went back to the kind of thing I really dig. Note that what I'm describing isn't at all a dip in quality, just a change that totally subjectively didn't seem like it would be my thing. What I'm saying is, if a change happens and that change worries you, don't worry, power through it for 10 pages, then realize you're not powering through it because you're still hooked. Stealth edit: and also, report back.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
I've been on the beach for Christmas, so I have read many books!

I reread Emma, by Jane Austen, because I am enjoying the youtube series Emma Approved which is a modern adaptation. I've read Emma two or three times before this time and it holds up as being enjoyable to read while not being my favorite Jane Austen piece. Emma is kind of a well meaning dingbat until near the end of the book. And Knightley is kind of a perv (if you think about it), but the book is enjoyable.

I also read Sideways by Rex Pickett. It is similar to the movie in many ways (and I can't help but imagine Paul Giamatti as Miles even though the book claims Miles is much better looking, but who cares as I Love P.G.). There are also some pretty big differences. This book has some real laugh out loud funny moments and was quite enjoyable to read, even though the narrator is a major downer (his outlook on the world can be described as pretty drat pessimistic). If you like wine, or drinking, or are anyone over the age of 27, you will probably like this book (maybe you could also be under 27, basically you just have to have had a big life failure or two under your belt to really get what is going on in Miles' head).

I also read Things We Set on Fire by Deborah Reed. This book starts with a big hook chapter and then devolves into something completely different. I feel I cannot talk too much about the plot of the book without revealing some spoilers, but at the same time, I also feel that many of the 'surprises' of the book are pretty well telegraphed by the author. I thought it would end in a certain way, but though it did not end up there, it did end up in a similar neighborhood. This book was not great, but it was interesting for those who have dealt with loss, or perhaps relationships with siblings that you halfheartedly wish were better. There were some clumbsy sections and the writing was not as tight as it could have been, but it was good enough for the price I paid.

Also on my beach read list was Soy Sauce for Beginners, Kristen Chen's first book (these last two were both from the Kindle First promotion). Unlike Things We Set on Fire, I thought this was a great book, especially for a first publication. This book follows the life of Gretchen Lin as she moves back to Singapore after a divorce. She works at her family's soy sauce factory while trying to sort out what she wants from life. It is a great look about moving on, interacting with parents as an adult, and what we owe ourselves and our families. It also gives very interesting information on the production of soy sauce, from both the old tradition and the new mass production style. Loved this book a lot.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I recently finished Dostoyevsky's The Devils as translated by David Magarshack. Definitely the best book I've read in a while. It switches so deftly from actually funny comedy to some actually saddening tragedy, sometimes in the space of a paragraph, and it so crammed with characters and events, the latter so interesting that you don't notice that you've not seen some characters for a hundred pages. There are a couple of essays within it, but they're delivered by actual characters in times of mental weakness which all shows in what would otherwise be fairly dry philosophy. Magarshack's translation was great, really readable, though of course I've not read the original (or any other translations) so what do I know. Bit upset that my copy is completely annotation-free. Just a couple of footnotes explaining the joke-names, or educating the reader on the originals of some of the caricatures.
Also, I'm pretty sure this book served as the model for Angus Wilson's Hemlock and After and suspect I'm the first guy to notice this. Probably just the féte though, I don't know if it holds up besides that.

Should I jump into this if I've never read Dostoyevsky? I've just finished Moby Dick for the second time and need something else to sink my teeth into.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
Wool and it's following books Shift and Dust. I am an apocalypse Junkie, but I thought this was a little more interesting than the standard "End of the world" stuff I've read. I did feel like I was in for the most depressing ride in the literary world for the first few chapters but I stuck through it and while I won't say anyone lived happily ever after, it was pretty amazing.

Less so was a set of books I picked up for $1 on Amazon called The Breakers books 1-3. It was, for me, better than average apocalyptica, particularly the transition from perceived apocalypse cause to actual, but it began dragging on after the second.

I can't stop proselytizing Wool to everyone I know who enjoys any kind of sci-fi, so if that's you, feel free to take a total stranger's word and get it.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
Finished Joyce's Dubliners after starting it (technically) two days ago, and overall it was much more enjoyable than A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. At the same time, I feel like "The Dead" is even more absurdly overrated than Joyce himself. I mean, it was a good story, and it's not like it went over my head or anything like that, but the greatest short story in the English language?

I also read Beowulf, finally. It was okay. I dunno what more I was expecting, but it had its nice phrases as well as its annoying archaisms. It's a short enough work, so I figure it's worth rereading in the future. Besides Heaney's, does anyone know about any other good translations? I dunno how much that would change for this particular book.

Besson posted:

Should I jump into this if I've never read Dostoyevsky? I've just finished Moby Dick for the second time and need something else to sink my teeth into.

I haven't gotten around to The Devils yet, so I can't speak to many of its specific qualities, but I imagine it's really good by virtue of being Dostoevsky. [edit: pointless raving deleted] The one that I see people most often say not to start with, though, is The Brothers Karamazov, I think.

All Nines fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 1, 2014

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Besson posted:

I'd heartily recommend it. Both this and The Idiot were really enjoyable, but this one's story is about murder and revolution rather than who'll marry whom.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

All Nines posted:

Finished Joyce's Dubliners after starting it (technically) two days ago, and overall it was much more enjoyable than A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. At the same time, I feel like "The Dead" is even more absurdly overrated than Joyce himself. I mean, it was a good story, and it's not like it went over my head or anything like that, but the greatest short story in the English language?
I feel like there's just a ton of mystique around Joyce in general and there's definitely better English-language short stories out there (especially from that era), but gently caress if that last paragraph or two in The Dead isn't beautiful enough to make me tear up a bit every time I read it. Maybe its just me.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I just finished Damned by Chuck Palahniuk, and it was pretty okay. From what I've read of his stuff, Palahniuk's books have great concepts but don't really deliver on those with solid stories. This one was at least better than Pygmy, which I flat-out hated, but I still feel like it suffered from a lot of the characters being complete stereotypes. Maddy's parents especially fall into this trap, but so do her circle of friends. They're obviously (and by that I mean it's stated several times in the book) based on the Breakfast Club character archetypes, but the book doesn't really do anything with that. It doesn't analyze or deconstruct these stereotypes, it just says "hey these guys are like this other thing".

That said, I did like this depiction of Hell, and the gimmick of having the narrator as a thirteen year old girl in Hell works because Maddy is actually an interesting character. It just didn't deliver a good emotional arc for me; Maddy tended to change the way she acted all of a sudden and the ending was sort of abrupt. I think there's a sequel out now, but I'm not sure I'll seek it out.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just finished The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid and thought it was pretty eh. Every character besides the main character and his girlfriend felt like they were purchased from stockcharacters.com. Wisecracking black best friend? check. Finance mentor guy who really knows what you've been through, man? check. Tortured latin literary old guy, check. Um... those are the only characters I can think of who got more description than a one liner like "I could tell by his bearing that he was a man of consequence in the corporate world".

It's a pretty short book, so I guess I could forgive that if he spent more time on what I assumed was going to be the point of the book: him growing disillusioned with his place as a cog in the American machine. He spends at least as much time talking about being stuck in the friend zone with his too beautiful for this sinful earth girlfriend.

Also the frame story was painful and made me want jalebis. I couldn't help but imagine him sounding exactly the same as the frame story guy from Aladdin because I'm a donkus.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

This is the first book by this author and the first book of his series Gentlemen's Bastards. It was an entertaining quick read and I quite enjoyed reading it; I even laughed out loud a few times. So, I've gone ahead and purchased the next one (for my kindle) despite having a growing backlog of paper books I want to read.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
I'm close to finishing (the dutch original version of) The Darkroom of Damocles by W.F. Hermans .

It is a novel set in Holland during the Nazi occupation. I want to read the ending but I'm almost too tired from reading through the night, then sleeping an hour or two. Basically I recommend everyone to read it immediately. It's an extremely suspenseful thriller, and an existential reflection at the same time . The plot is basically (not giving away too much): skinny tobacco store owner gets anti-German resistance missions from doppelganger.

The author, W.F. Hermans is one of the great Dutch post-war writers, and has a beautiful, minimalist style. This novel appeared in 1958, but was apparently recently re-translated into English. No idea whether or not the new translation is better, having read it in Dutch.

Here is a Daily Telegraph review of the new translation I found: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/fictionreviews/3667861/A-Dutch-classic-to-rival-Camus.html (Contains more plot information. It is a suspenseful book, so if you hate spoilers, you might not want to read it.)

Antwan3K fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 2, 2014

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus
Finally finished Cloud Atlas. loving blown away. Should I fear going to watch the movie now?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Inferno by Dan Brown. Really good mystery/thriller novel with historical overtones everywhere.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

BrotherAdso posted:

Finally finished Cloud Atlas. loving blown away. Should I fear going to watch the movie now?

I didn't care for the book but the movie was excellent. Take from that what you will.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
I’ve just finished reading Altai by Wu Ming. The book, centred on a Venetian fugitive becoming embroiled in a scheme to create a Jewish kingdom in Cyprus in the 1570’s, is a semi-sequel to their previous book 'Q' (written under the pseudonym Luther Blissett).

What I loved about the book is that it manages to combine a short snappy plot, (in an absolutely fascinating setting) with much bigger themes. Jewish identity(especially Sephardic), the conflict between Christian Europe and Muslim Asia, nation building and the price that should be paid for it are all touched upon with a light touch.

Wu Ming (a quartet of Italian anarchists) are excellent at creating exciting stories that feature deeper, richer themes. Imagine Umberto Eco with more fight scenes and anarchist tendencies and you’re half way there. They don’t waste the readers time either; chapters are usually only two or three pages long, and stripped back to only the bare essentials.

If you’re into historical fiction I really recommend Altai. It can be tackled in a handful of sittings, and will stay with you for a lot longer.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

BrotherAdso posted:

Even if the movie doesn't succeed (debatable, I guess, but most would agree it's not totally successful) it's an extremely, extremely interesting attempt, far more interesting than plenty of movies that are solid, where you watch them and you're like, "Yeah, sure, okay, that was very good. But... like, is that it?"

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Sadsack posted:

I’ve just finished reading Altai by Wu Ming. The book, centred on a Venetian fugitive becoming embroiled in a scheme to create a Jewish kingdom in Cyprus in the 1570’s, is a semi-sequel to their previous book 'Q' (written under the pseudonym Luther Blissett).

Is it necessary to read that one first to follow Altai?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Just finished Gun Machine by Warren Ellis. It's the only thing of his I've read, though I've gathered that he's written a bunch of comics and stuff. Really liked it, fast-paced punchy noir with a quite interesting villain.

Aug 15, 2010
Just finished The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie The usual medieval and magic fantasy with a crazed killer you learn to love and hate the characters you always hated. Think GGRM slash and dash nobody is safe.

Thinking of going back to Malazan (I took a break) and pick up where I left off. IE Dust of Dreams

1554 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 3, 2014

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Antwan3K posted:

Is it necessary to read that one first to follow Altai?

No I don't think so. The connection between the two books are incredibly subtle so you won't miss out on anything. But if you can read Q, you should. It's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett. The Auditors hand death a gold watch timer and send him off to retirement. At least they let him keep the horse.

The wizards do their best to help an old-timer die while fighting a plague of trolleys and snow globes. The priests just do heir best to hide from a particularly pushy medium. Death spends his retirement learning what farm life is like while waiting for his own demise. And preparing to put it off as long as possible.

The writing and editing are noticeably weaker than later Discworld novels, but it is my favorite book in the series so far. Well paced and plotted while leaving you pondering the existential, yourself. *Clop*