Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Bazanga posted:

Somehow I finagled my way into being a bassist for an old school death metal band after we realized we needed a bassist more than a 2nd guitarist. I've been playing bass awhile, but just on a ratty old Ibanez GIO garage sale find with bad electronics. Another guy in the band has a beastly Ampeg setup that I'll be using, I just have to provide the bass guitar itself so I'm planning on an upgrade.

From reading forms/sites/etc it seems like for aggressive thrashy/death metal you want to have a set of active humbuckers. I like the thinner Ibanez necks, so I've been focusing on Ibanez. However, I can't figure out whats *actually* active and whats just passive with a preamp. poo poo, I don't even know if that even matters that much. Is the Ibanez EQ/preamp pretty much equivalent to proper active pickups in term of output? Any gotchas I need to be careful of? Are active pickups even really necessary for this style, or is that just ~~BROOTAL DEATH METAL~~ logic?

I'm about to pull the trigger on this beast after spending a couple days researching, but I wanted to ask around and see if I'm making any obvious mistakes or if there is a better alternative out there for the ~$900 price point.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SR800BIF

I just got an SRFF800 and I love the thing. Take a look at that one. It's got fanned frets, and is basically the same in all other features as the one you posted except it comes with the EQ bypass and the Frequency switch. Both those don't start to appear until their 1XXX premium series guitars. Comes on 4/5/6 string flavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008
What is the best (paid/free doesn't matter but i'm guessing ones that cost money will be better) online course I can take to pick up the bass again? I took lessons in high school for a short period but put down the bass ever since than really looking to pick it back up and get playing again. I forgot a lot of stuff about playing and havent touched one in years,

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Bazanga posted:

From reading forms/sites/etc it seems like for aggressive thrashy/death metal you want to have a set of active humbuckers. I like the thinner Ibanez necks, so I've been focusing on Ibanez. However, I can't figure out whats *actually* active and whats just passive with a preamp. poo poo, I don't even know if that even matters that much. Is the Ibanez EQ/preamp pretty much equivalent to proper active pickups in term of output? Any gotchas I need to be careful of? Are active pickups even really necessary for this style, or is that just ~~BROOTAL DEATH METAL~~ logic?
Almost all of them will be passive pickups with an active preamp unless you find a set of EMGs (not EMG HZ). Just get a Darkglass pedal and maybe a compressor and that should be all the death metal tone you need.

oaok posted:

What is the best (paid/free doesn't matter but i'm guessing ones that cost money will be better) online course I can take to pick up the bass again? I took lessons in high school for a short period but put down the bass ever since than really looking to pick it back up and get playing again. I forgot a lot of stuff about playing and havent touched one in years,
I bought Rocksmith to help me figure out a few guitar techniques but it honestly also taught me more than I was expecting about bass since I've been playing bass for over 25 years and figured I knew just about how everything was done even if I couldn't do it myself.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer

Soarer posted:

I just got an SRFF800 and I love the thing. Take a look at that one. It's got fanned frets, and is basically the same in all other features as the one you posted except it comes with the EQ bypass and the Frequency switch. Both those don't start to appear until their 1XXX premium series guitars. Comes on 4/5/6 string flavors.

Did the fanned frets take awhile to get used to? It looks great but I've never had fanned frets before.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Almost all of them will be passive pickups with an active preamp unless you find a set of EMGs (not EMG HZ). Just get a Darkglass pedal and maybe a compressor and that should be all the death metal tone you need.
I bought Rocksmith to help me figure out a few guitar techniques but it honestly also taught me more than I was expecting about bass since I've been playing bass for over 25 years and figured I knew just about how everything was done even if I couldn't do it myself.

The Darkglass Microtubes B7K? Or the Darkglass VMT? Looks like there is around $100 difference on the two.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Bazanga posted:

Did the fanned frets take awhile to get used to? It looks great but I've never had fanned frets before.

The Darkglass Microtubes B7K? Or the Darkglass VMT? Looks like there is around $100 difference on the two.

The B*k and VMT are two different types of effects, and there are different levels of pedal depending on how fancy you want to be and whether you want a DI out. The main guts of each pedal is the same. In terms of pricing and features, here is the comparison:

B3k = VMT
B7k = VMT Deluxe
B7k Ultra = VMT Ultra

For metal, you probably want the B*k - the VMT does a better job of subtle overdrive, the B*k gets more crunch when turned all the way up. There is also the Alpha Omega to check out.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 26, 2017

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Interesting, thanks guys! Time to learn some Entombed bass lines :black101:

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Bazanga posted:

Not for me no. If anything it felt more natural to play.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

BASS MEGATHREAD: Just get a Darkglass pedal

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

oaok posted:

https://www.studybass.com/ is v good

There are plenty of YouTube channels giving visual lessons too - Scott's Bass Lessons has a ton of content, and he has a proper course academy thing with a free trial of you're interested in that

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

aunt jemima posted:

Seriously.

(and Nordstrand pickups)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

aunt jemima posted:

I've been wanting some kind of overdrive or distortion pedal to go with my ampeg pf500, but I've been having trouble figuring out exactly what to get.

The darkglass pedals are fairly pricey here. Are they that good?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Yes. The Vintage Microtubes is one of my least-regretted purchases ever.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Well, it's been an expensive few days. Went around town trying out different basses and I wasn't expecting it, but the Fender Jazz stole my heart. Unfortunately the stores near me didn't have any in black so I checked out Reverb and found a pretty nice deal.

2006 MIM Fender Jazz with aftermarket Dimarzio DP133s and a satined neck, plus black pickguard and hardcase for $450

Obligatory Darkglass pedal

Unfortunately there wasn't a place around here to play around with various Darkglass pedals, so I spent a good three hours just listening to demos before pulling the trigger. The Alpha Omega sounded really nice but the B7K had more of a harsh distortion that I think sounded better for my needs. Super pumped to get it delivered.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
That's awesome, I'm jealous as hell.
I need to get a real Jazz Bass one of these days. My first bass was a Peavey J knockoff that I loved; I've still got it but it's sadly not in a playable condition ATM and getting it fixed would almost certainly cost more than it's worth. Being owned by a teenager is hard on an instrument.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I finally got a chance to play a U-Bass and now I want a U-Bass. :(

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This is exactly why I haven't yet looked for a U-bass to try... the GAS will probably take effect immediately.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Thoughts? What kind of usefulness do you see in it?

If I did more varied studio stuff I'd probably seek one out.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I have a Gold Tone MicroBass 25 fretless and enjoy playing it. It's a lot bassier than an acoustic bass guitar while taking up less room. Might be good for traveling or when playing with other acoustic instruments, but it has a pickup so you can always make yourself louder. Tuning it is a pain in the butt though, since those synthetic gut strings should be picked up out of the nut slots when tuning to reduce tearing if they get hung up in there.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Scarf posted:

Thoughts? What kind of usefulness do you see in it?

If I did more varied studio stuff I'd probably seek one out.

I have a Dean ABG that is basically the worst bass I've ever owned, but there's utility in something that can make sound on its own when you're by yourself. That new Taylor GS-Mini bass is too much of a tweener to me. I was excited about it, but it doesn't sound good and plays strangely, plus there's only one set of strings out there for it.

The U-bass is audible acoustically only when sitting on a couch and playing solo, but that's fine. I tried one with the nylon strings and it sounds AMAZING plugged in - very much like an upright. I'd imagine you could get a bit more acoustic volume with one of the metalwound string options. It's really fun to play.

My use case for it would be just to have it to dick around with, mostly, but I also would plan on taking it along when I fly out to visit my brother - it'd be great to have something out there to jam with him but that's not important enough to schlep a Real Bass out there unless I'm recording or something.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I wonder how different the D'Addario strings made for the Taylor GS Mini are than the Silverbacks made for the Gold Tone MicroBass.

EDIT: made the Jerry Blank face after watching some of Gold Tone's demonstration videos and the term "folkternative" kept getting used.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 4, 2017

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1L4rr695Xc

Well it's no Super Mario Bros. theme.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

I just got a 10 string a couple weeks ago, but I only play dumb washy ambient stuff

https://youtu.be/KsKHnFE2d64

It's the best

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Today's the 10 yr anniversary of me getting what is still my #1 and the best bass I've ever played in my life.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
STAMBAAAAUUUUUUGGGHHHH!!! :argh:

In all seriousness this just made me realize I've had my Lakland 44-02 for 11 years...

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hi everyone. I've been obsessively watching ukulele bass videos on youtube lately. They seem really neat and I want one, but I don't actually play bass at all. I play a little bit of guitar, nothing special there really, but never played a bass. Who here uses a u-bass? Is it anywhere near as cool as it seems? I got a chance to play with one at a guitar store and it felt fun to play.

Edit: Oh, so I could have just read like, 5 posts up. I had searched the forums YESTERDAY on this and didn't see anything recent.

Edit2: A more relevant question. Let's say I buy a U-Bass and want to learn to play it. There don't appear to be a ton of U-Bass specific lesson sites. Would I just be looking at bass lesson sites and just know that I don't have to stretch so far or whatever?

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 13, 2017

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I have a Rondo U-bass and I really like it. If you're on the fence then a cheap one might work, it's not a big cost risk that way.

For the most part regular bass lessons will work, but the flappy strings take some getting used to.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Scarf posted:

STAMBAAAAUUUUUUGGGHHHH!!! :argh:

In all seriousness this just made me realize I've had my Lakland 44-02 for 11 years...

The amount of bass churn I went through pre-Stambaugh was incredible, but I had been thrashing around trying to figure out what worked best for me. Eventually I realized what I wanted most was an ash/maple Jazz Bass, but with neck and spacing like a Stingray5, and had Chris make me that. I don't know if it would have worked out so perfectly had I not owned 20 basses beforehand and played hundreds more on top of that and I'm not sure how people order custom instruments without playing a TON of stuff and knowing EXACTLY what they want.

Nowadays, aside from having a good Precision I don't even entertain the idea of buying something that isn't a brand new Stambaugh. Nothing's going to fit me as well. Since getting the White Bass I've received two other Stambaughs and a P-bass, with no GAS for anything aside from one or two more Stambaughs.

It's kind of like with the Baer stuff on the amp side - churning was more trying to figure out what worked vs. being bored and churning for the sake of churning. Once I got lined up with the thing that fit perfectly that was it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hellblazer187 posted:

Edit2: A more relevant question. Let's say I buy a U-Bass and want to learn to play it. There don't appear to be a ton of U-Bass specific lesson sites. Would I just be looking at bass lesson sites and just know that I don't have to stretch so far or whatever?

Bass is more about playing single notes and hitting chord tones than fretting these strings at this fret, you'll be fine! Bass tuition sites will get into technique (which will generally apply) and the bass's actual role and how to use it (which definitely will)

You're going to want to lean into the character of the instrument anyway, so it won't matter that your cover of Hysteria is missing them tight tonez (I'm guessing lots of people have already done this)

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Thanks! Yeah, I would buy the cheapy at first, either the Rondo or the new Donner one that just came out (same price as the Rondo, with a gig bag). Anything I buy is automatically double price due to import fees (I'm Gringo but live abroad!) unless I buy it during a visit, so it will be a while before I get one. But I'm definitely getting one unless like one of my hands get cut off between now and the time I have money for it.

Since my house doesn't have electricity that is properly grounded, I need a battery powered amp. It looks like the Hog 30 is battery powered and works for Bass and Guitar so that'll probably be my guy.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Picking and slapping probably aren't going to be the best techniques to try learning on a bass with those rubbery strings.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hey is this pretty representative of these basses' characters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4YoXGBoiSg

I know, different settings change the tone too, but y'all who are familiar with these, do you go 'yep that's a Stingray' etc? It's a good comparison video if they're accurate, moves quick enough that you can hear the changes

That Thumb sounds weird

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
He didn't use the stereo output of the Rickenbacker to run the bridge pickup into a distorted guitar amp so that part's 100% wrong.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I put some SD quarter pounders in my 5 string and notice that the B string still sounds pretty flabby compared the the other strings (which sound absolutely perfect by the way). I play through amplitube and discovered that switching the cab in the model to be a blend of a bass cab and a guitar cab seems to kinda fix it but there's just such a difference in voicing from the B to the other strings. Do you guys think it's a matter of raising the pickup height on the low side or is that just how 5 strings sound?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Hey is this pretty representative of these basses' characters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4YoXGBoiSg

I know, different settings change the tone too, but y'all who are familiar with these, do you go 'yep that's a Stingray' etc? It's a good comparison video if they're accurate, moves quick enough that you can hear the changes

That Thumb sounds weird

I've owned a couple P's, more than a couple J's, a Sterling and a bunch of Warwicks - and the clips of those compared to what I've experienced are exceptionally representative. Nice demo.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Noice

The comments have people complaining about how the Rick sounds (and I know a couple of bands that use them) but honestly I like it in that demo, it has its own strong voice. Smooth

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

I put some SD quarter pounders in my 5 string and notice that the B string still sounds pretty flabby compared the the other strings (which sound absolutely perfect by the way). I play through amplitube and discovered that switching the cab in the model to be a blend of a bass cab and a guitar cab seems to kinda fix it but there's just such a difference in voicing from the B to the other strings. Do you guys think it's a matter of raising the pickup height on the low side or is that just how 5 strings sound?

I would try raising the low side of the pickup for sure. Also depending on where it is now, I've found it helpful to raise the action of the low B. The amount of fret clank/rattle can really muddy it up. Maybe try cutting out some lows and shifting the mids around. It might help to record a bassline using the low B and changing the EQ while it's playing if possible.

Finger technique is a huge part of a tight low b. That's always something I struggle with.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

baka kaba posted:

Noice

The comments have people complaining about how the Rick sounds (and I know a couple of bands that use them) but honestly I like it in that demo, it has its own strong voice. Smooth

I have/had multiple Rics and the tone is about right, but sounds like he could've have increased the input gain a little to bring the level up to the other basses.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

I would try raising the low side of the pickup for sure. Also depending on where it is now, I've found it helpful to raise the action of the low B. The amount of fret clank/rattle can really muddy it up. Maybe try cutting out some lows and shifting the mids around. It might help to record a bassline using the low B and changing the EQ while it's playing if possible.

Finger technique is a huge part of a tight low b. That's always something I struggle with.

I raised the pickup a bit, and lowered the string instead of raising it. I'll mess with the EQ by doing what you said as that's pretty easy to do but will take time.

You gotta loving clamp down on that string with your left hand, it hurts like hell.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

I put some SD quarter pounders in my 5 string and notice that the B string still sounds pretty flabby compared the the other strings (which sound absolutely perfect by the way).
What model of guitar is it? I have the older BassLines Quarter Pounders on a Squier Jazz Bass V with an active preamp and love the way they sound. Depending on how much treble you want, switching to flatwounds will increase string tension which can reduce floppy sounds. Also if you have a bridge that has either top or thru-body string routing, go for top.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

Get rid of all of the plug-ins and record a direct track with absolutely no effects, VSTs, pretend amplifiers, etc. Just bass direct into your DAW.

Now, tell us what you see, and we can maybe tell you what to do. BTW, does this problem occur when you're playing through an amp? An actual amp, that is.

I have a similar problem with my Ibanez 6-string, but I'm chalking that up to it being cheap. I plan on replacing the pickups to fix the problem. My Fender Jazz 5 doesn't have this issue at all.