Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Yeah, but he personally wrecked a lot of agencies too. State, interior, epa. His political appointees did a lot of damage.

And there was that USCIS furlough and the OPM fuckery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Bureaucrazy
Jan 24, 2007

Step 1: Insert speaker into vagina

Beerdeer posted:

USCIS almost shut down under Trump. The entire purpose of the agency is counter to Republican philosophy.

Then under Biden/Mayorkas we got OT back.

I think those of us at USCIS might feel the Trump/Biden difference more acutely than anyone else in government, with the possible exception of maybe EPA or all those USDA scientists they relocated for absolutely no reason.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

So the PSLF changes? I’m directly affected by them and should qualify for forgiveness immediately.

I can’t tel you how happy that makes me.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Lady Bureaucrazy posted:

I think those of us at USCIS might feel the Trump/Biden difference more acutely than anyone else in government, with the possible exception of maybe EPA or all those USDA scientists they relocated for absolutely no reason.

:eng101: Don't forget moving the BLM headquarters to Colorado. Grand Junction, Colorado.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Lmao they moved it to grand junction? I assumed it was Denver

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Deb is moving the headquarters back to DC supposedly. Gonna keep the Colorado office too though as a western outpost or somesuch.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Deb is moving the headquarters back to DC supposedly. Gonna keep the Colorado office too though as a western outpost or somesuch.

Jeesh what a phenomenal waste of money and talent, how many peeps did they lose forever with that move, and how long it will take to restaff.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Not going to defend where they tried to move it to but personally I'm pro-get-large-offices-the-hell-out-of-DC and disappointed they're going to move it back there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Policymakers should be where policy is made.

Granted, it probably won't matter in the too distant future as remote work becomes more of a thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Policymakers should be where policy is made.

Granted, it probably won't matter in the too distant future as remote work becomes more of a thing.

You're gonna have to rip full remote work from the cold dead hands of the managers who'll find a way to give it to themselves but not let anyone under them have it.

Also, guess I'll have to try for USPTO next year. Having a pile of work that I can do at my own pace and theoretically remotely seems like the stuff I'd be into rather than the current engineering stuff at the Mint.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

A colonel blasted out an email to a good portion of my entire MAJCOM today accusing the commander of violating UCMJ by not stopping the vaccine mandate.

Our work center is currently quarantining due to a covid positive antivax contractor, who recently told me that the vaccinated are the ones spreading it.

I'm so exhausted of constantly dealing with this.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Well if it makes you feel any better, the shop E-9 here will regale you with many stories about his current religious exemption paperwork because the vaccines are made with stem cells or some poo poo idk. Get clotted bitch

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Woof Blitzer posted:

Well if it makes you feel any better, the shop E-9 here will regale you with many stories about his current religious exemption paperwork because the vaccines are made with stem cells or some poo poo idk. Get clotted bitch

Our office was told that their will be hearty lols at anyone trying to claim areligious exemption when they havent before for anything. I guess we'll see what happens. One dude was basically on his phone crying to his wife about how unfair it is that hes getting forced to vaccinate or lose his govvie job.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
SSA got their infrastructure together, got the email today, bring your poo poo in and take a picture of it on the company laptop's webcam. Looking forward to Selfish rear end in a top hat Removal Day.

Might start a pool on how many unexplained mid-November departures we're gonna have. Knowing my office, they won't even announce it- they'll just send out an alpha roster and we have to suss out who's missing.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
DOT announced required proof of vaccination on October 5. So curious about how November will go!

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah DOJ has already set dates and timelines, for first and second doses depending on manufacturer, and there is religion exemption "training" coming down for all HR management. IE how to tell peeps to get hosed.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Even at my union meetings recently there was only one person who had a Covidiot take and at the next meeting the leaders pretty much openly stated those types of takes weren't going to be entertained at the question and answers and there was no pushback. It's nice to feel like I'm in largely a bastion of sanity even if it's, shall we say, limited.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I hope my agency keeps us remote for a long rear end time. No chance we go back before the end of the year.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

kathmandu posted:

So with the proposed vaccine mandate for federal employees, there’s now an extremely stupid email chain between three of the bargaining unit members in my division and our union rep. One person, the ringleader, has been writing lengthy, stupid emails about how the vaccine is fake or whatever. A second basically chimed in with “i agree with moron 1,” and a third managed to write an agreement that invoked her stupid loving views on roe v. wade.

No one has written in opposition yet, but I know that at least two of my colleagues disagree with the trio of morons, and I suspect many more. However, I think they’re reluctant to engage with these dumbasses, like me.

Any recommendations? I’d like to stop receiving these dumb emails, I’d like to oppose their efforts to get the union to oppose the vaccine mandate, and frankly I hope the mandate goes through and they quit. What do y’all think?

Update, if anyone was curious: I decided against confronting the anti-Vaxx rhetoric because I felt like it was a waste of time and would just add fuel to the fire. But I decided I had to do something about the lovely emails, so I called them out for “overheated political rhetoric” on government email. Told them to knock it off immediately, and concluded with “do not reply to this email, I am not interested in your opinion and never have been.” Five or six people DMed me to thank me, and the ringleader emailed everyone an apology. (I know, I know, then everyone stood up and clapped, etc). I’m sure I made a couple enemies, but whatever. They’re still anti-vaccine morons, but at least they’re now quiet and respectful morons. And hopefully they get fired in a few weeks.

I’m considering getting more involved in the union... dunno about a leadership role though, I’ve been in leadership positions before and I hate it so much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Our app to upload vaccination proof opened last week. I haven't seen any complaints, though we had an all-hands the week prior where someone sent an anonymous question about whether a vaccine mandate violated their civil rights. The administrator basically said "talk to the EO/RA people" and declined to comment further.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Most of the guys at my workplace are the blue collar union types so they were largely hesitant but they'll do it to keep their jobs

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Today, I finally was converted from Pathways to a Career Appointment. Huge sigh of relief I must say.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EconOutlines posted:

Today, I finally was converted from Pathways to a Career Appointment. Huge sigh of relief I must say.

:toot:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

EconOutlines posted:

Congrats

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
So for anyone who was unaware, a short while back the Biden administration confirmed they intend to grant a 2.7% raise for 2022, really 2.2% for anyone not getting locality. The union rep at my old position I left a month ago really crowed about it and claimed that great boost was in part because of union pressure. I don't know about anyone else but I don't find that very impressive given what's going on out there in the world.

I've found myself worried about accelerating inflation due to pandemic related supply shocks, after a decade of no or little federal pay increases, at a time when one side of congress already seems to think that the baseline should be 0% and they're being generous giving out anything more, nevermind the joke locality is for many places. Well there's a bit of confirmation of that fear in the news today, SSA in acknowledgement of inflation announced the largest increase in benefits since the early 80s, 5.9%.

Leaving aside the issue of whether or not SS is as much as it should be this doesn't leave me feeling that great about public sector pay, a few short years after having left the private sector I'm wondering if I'll need to jump back unless I want to find myself making less in 2030 than I did in 2015 accounting for inflation, or worse.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Yea that's a very real fear. Granted depending on your position you get more than the yearly NDAA raise, like as an ACQ-DEMO employee I've been pretty lucky and my yearly raises have combined to around 5-6ish percent a year but at some point I'm going to cap out or start just getting monetary awards, and if that starts happening with regularity I'll probably have to leave for the same reason.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
So the NDAA raise goes into effect the next year or is it already out for this FY? Because that would mean I get the Fed raise and the NDAA raise I’m assuming.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My agency only gives you a 6% raise if you were to apply for a new position and get it. Considering it’s a fully competitive process against external candidates, that’s a complete joke. It’s almost like they want you to leave for industry after a few years. :thunk:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Woof Blitzer posted:

So the NDAA raise goes into effect the next year or is it already out for this FY? Because that would mean I get the Fed raise and the NDAA raise I’m assuming.

I would think the NDAA raise goes into effect Jan 1st as long as it's out of conference and signed by the prez before Jan 1st.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
If you do quit for the private sector please quit from a job I actually have a shot at, thank you

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...eral-employees/

never forget that every president signs this letter by Sept 1 every year to keep our pay reduced from what it legally should be

we would automatically get a 20+% raise if they forgot to sign that letter

“national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare,” has been occurring every year since like 1993 i guess

"This alternative pay plan decision will not materially affect our ability to attract and retain a well‑qualified Federal workforce."

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea that's a very real fear. Granted depending on your position you get more than the yearly NDAA raise, like as an ACQ-DEMO employee I've been pretty lucky and my yearly raises have combined to around 5-6ish percent a year but at some point I'm going to cap out or start just getting monetary awards, and if that starts happening with regularity I'll probably have to leave for the same reason.

Howdy acq-demo buddy. I've been capped for a few years, but that's because my team lead pushed hard for extra salary bonus awards along the way. I treat it as "area under the curve" since I save most of my money. My supervisor announced my promotion this week, but I'll believe it when it hits mybiz. Last I officially heard was CPAC (two weeks ago...) needed to verify my clearance, which should be a button press. I'm also recklessly close to top tier leave accrual. Sunk cost fallacy at this point. Just gotta keep sanity, hoard money, and get my daughter through college. Then I can retire to Costa Rica or something.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.

Testvan posted:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...eral-employees/

never forget that every president signs this letter by Sept 1 every year to keep our pay reduced from what it legally should be

we would automatically get a 20+% raise if they forgot to sign that letter

“national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare,” has been occurring every year since like 1993 i guess

"This alternative pay plan decision will not materially affect our ability to attract and retain a well‑qualified Federal workforce."

I love this reminder because I’ve sat in on discussions on how to attract talent to the fed side. At least they’ve moved toward flexible schedules and telework, but one would think a remotely competitive pay scale would be on the table. It’s not like Uncle Sam has to dig in his pockets to make payroll. Guess driving inflation is only OK when you’re juicing the market to line billionaires’ pockets, and then it’s cool to go full throttle.

Joke’s on us though since we’re still here. At least it’s not at will and there’s a retirement plan.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Forgive my ignorance, I haven't been in service for decades. How many positions have crept up the scales for the last 30 years? Say some assistant positions where I'm at are starting at GS 5, was that position, or the equivalent in 1993 still GS 5? I haven't seen a full time permanent position posted below GS 5. Do agencies increase the grade of positions over time to compensate for the lack of adjustment to inflation?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

killer crane posted:

Forgive my ignorance, I haven't been in service for decades. How many positions have crept up the scales for the last 30 years? Say some assistant positions where I'm at are starting at GS 5, was that position, or the equivalent in 1993 still GS 5? I haven't seen a full time permanent position posted below GS 5. Do agencies increase the grade of positions over time to compensate for the lack of adjustment to inflation?

Not as many as you think. They were still bringing folks in at GS-1 at SSA into the mid-2000s when I stopped keeping track. In fact, they've stopped backfilling the GS-14s here for the most part and just leaned on GS-13s to do the same work, so the average has actually been going down.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

Loucks posted:

I love this reminder because I’ve sat in on discussions on how to attract talent to the fed side. At least they’ve moved toward flexible schedules and telework, but one would think a remotely competitive pay scale would be on the table.

I told them I refuse to participate in interviews, because we are so ridiculously uncompetitive. My last hire went from 65k to 85k (contractor) to 125k (non DoD) to 160k (non DoD) within 4 years fresh out of college. Every previous promising candidate had better offers that we couldn't compete with or gave up because it took too long and became contractors.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Loucks posted:

I love this reminder because I’ve sat in on discussions on how to attract talent to the fed side. At least they’ve moved toward flexible schedules and telework, but one would think a remotely competitive pay scale would be on the table. It’s not like Uncle Sam has to dig in his pockets to make payroll. Guess driving inflation is only OK when you’re juicing the market to line billionaires’ pockets, and then it’s cool to go full throttle.

Joke’s on us though since we’re still here. At least it’s not at will and there’s a retirement plan.
The problem is that Republicans always cite how median federal pay is higher than industry, but that’s mainly due to low level workers and support staff making way more than they would in industry. Meanwhile, high skilled federal employees are getting severely underpaid.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I think it's pretty agency specific. For the agencies I've worked for, I'd say that because that letter keeps getting signed we've seen a slow grade inflation pushing folks into the 9-13 realm (while 14-15-ses are less and less common).

But yeah, i talk to folks at social security or parks and they keep starting people on non-ladder 5's or bullshit like that - which is just crazy.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I wonder if that letter and the resulting pushback grade inflation are responsible for why there are so many more 9s and 12s than 11s, creating the "Nine For Life" catchphrase a speaker warned us against in training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.

Josh Lyman posted:

The problem is that Republicans always cite how median federal pay is higher than industry, but that’s mainly due to low level workers and support staff making way more than they would in industry. Meanwhile, high skilled federal employees are getting severely underpaid.

Blame Republicans if you want, but I was a fed through the Obama years and that conservative jackass was perfectly happy freezing pay. Neither party has any interest in increasing federal compensation. That’s not some contrarian bullshit or “the truth is in the middle!” idiocy, just dispassionate observation after decades in public service.