Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

e: wrong thread

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spoeank posted:

Also considering there's a distinct possibility he may not even have been needed.

He wouldn't have in the first two games of the series anyway. Yesterday wasn't a Save Situation and today they won by 9.

Also I have never had a job that didn't offer paternity leave so the "it's a business!!!" argument is especially dumb

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

He wouldn't have in the first two games of the series anyway. Yesterday wasn't a Save Situation and today they won by 9.

Also I have never had a job that didn't offer paternity leave so the "it's a business!!!" argument is especially dumb

Nice wussified job listen up you're not sweating it out in 16 hour shifts in the mustache factory like that columnist's dad

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Spoeank posted:

Doubling down on Facebook:

What a load of poo poo. Like Roethlisberger would ever miss a chance to witness the first time his son forces his way through a vagina.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

Hell, my brother had a super premature baby and his work basically told him "come back to work when you can" and let him go years into the hole on leave time. He didn't go in for something like three months. Then a year later, he quit and the company basically went "oh well these things happen."

And it was in a literal factory that made auto parts, so that's pretty manly.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

ChickenMedium posted:

What a load of poo poo. Like Roethlisberger would ever miss a chance to witness the first time his son forces his way through a vagina.

Hahaha

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MourningView posted:

I think that guy forgets that there's this thing called FMLA.

Can you imagine the firestorm if a team refused to let a player go witness the birth of his child?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Pretty much anyone who complains about the "wussification" of this generation is a loving moron.

Here's a fun fact or two. This generation lives longer, works longer, and are more productive than any generation prior. Also this generation has the bold distinction of being involved in the longest duration of ground combat. Take that WWII generation. Greatest generation my rear end!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

tinstaach posted:

hahahahaha

I loving hate when people make statistics up. I'll bet this guy 10 grand right now we can ask 20 people over 30 if their dad was there when they were born and the majority will say yes. "Chances are" means greater than 50% so I only need 11. Any public place, Wal Mart, Mall, football game, New York Stock Exchange...

I sent him a tweet telling him to post it hah

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

All other bullshit aside, that dude is way overrating how important closers are

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Spoeank posted:

Holy poo poo I have never in my life been so angry at a single person over something sports related and I openly admit I can get care mad as gently caress about sports. I legitimately want to sock this guy in the mouth.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Spoeank posted:

The last five words are what makes this so beautiful.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Coming back to this I am finding it really funny that a guy complaining so vigorously about American men getting too soft and PC not using "pussification" and instead opting for softer, more PC "wussification."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

soggybagel posted:

Pretty much anyone who complains about the "wussification" of this generation is a loving moron.

Just like anything with "family" in the name is a religious hate group, anyone who unironically says wussification is incorrect

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Sash! posted:

Hell, my brother had a super premature baby and his work basically told him "come back to work when you can" and let him go years into the hole on leave time. He didn't go in for something like three months. Then a year later, he quit and the company basically went "oh well these things happen."

And it was in a literal factory that made auto parts, so that's pretty manly.

lol i bet that never happened for anyone else that worked there again

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Scob posted:

lol i bet that never happened for anyone else that worked there again

To be honest, I'm surprised it happened the first time!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rovell just tweeted an extra dumb thing and is getting bodied by Bomani Jones.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/638108360647266305

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Hmmmm, hard to pick sides on this one OP.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tinstaach posted:

No it's pretty easy

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

tinstaach posted:

Sometimes maybe, but Bomani's having a loving field day with this, and I love that Rovell is not only standing by his statement, but also sticking his foot in gender politics now. All he needs to do is say something dumb about Muslims and he'll win the Triple Crown!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I'm having trouble choosing between the funny guy and the business robot

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I think I got a 3rd degree burn after reading that take

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
What does ESPN even pay him for. On top of the insensitivity of it, it's lovely reporting. You don't need an MBA to figure out why Maria Sharapova makes more endorsement money than Serena Williams.

This is same clown who defends the NCAA exploiting college athletes because "they have no value", even though if that's true then under a free market system they still wouldn't get paid anyway.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
How many tennis players in the world get endorsements? The only two I have ever seen are Federer and Sharapova. You barely even see them. Also Serena seems like the type of person who would not seek out endorsements at every opportunity. I don't know a ton about her, but from what I think I know it is hard to see her assembling a team to get "her brand" out there. I might be wrong, I don't follow women's tennis but I have read a couple things about her that give me that impression.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Ribsauce posted:

How many tennis players in the world get endorsements? The only two I have ever seen are Federer and Sharapova. You barely even see them. Also Serena seems like the type of person who would not seek out endorsements at every opportunity. I don't know a ton about her, but from what I think I know it is hard to see her assembling a team to get "her brand" out there. I might be wrong, I don't follow women's tennis but I have read a couple things about her that give me that impression.

She's very into the fashion world. Less with the traditional sports brand endorsements, I guess.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Man my sarcasm really isn't coming through, of course I know that Bomani is a rad dude and Rovell is a balance sheet made flesh.

It's not even like Skip Bayless where he's saying inflammatory things just to get people to argue with him. A few months ago he was defending sweatshops because the market paid the workers what they're worth or some poo poo.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Ribsauce posted:

I've seen lots for Serena (and sort of for Venus) and Nadal. Bouchard and Raonic get a lot here in Canada, and the expectation was that she would be the most marketable female athlete for a bit before she fell apart as a player. I don't see much of him here but Murray definitely does well endorsement wise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tinstaach posted:

Man my sarcasm really isn't coming through, of course I know that Bomani is a rad dude and Rovell is a balance sheet made flesh.

It's not even like Skip Bayless where he's saying inflammatory things just to get people to argue with him. A few months ago he was defending sweatshops because the market paid the workers what they're worth or some poo poo.
As others have said, Rovell is basically modern capitalism given human form

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

zakharov posted:

She's very into the fashion world. Less with the traditional sports brand endorsements, I guess.

She even owns her own clothing line, iirc.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ribsauce posted:

Tennis stars also have alot of international appeal. Its good deals in Europe and Asia.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Rovell is hilarious. There are people who were locked in closets for 15 years that came away from it with a healthier and better adjusted outlook on the world and human relations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ribsauce posted:

How many tennis players in the world get endorsements? The only two I have ever seen are Federer and Sharapova. You barely even see them.
Like all of them? Tennis is a big international sport and athletes in individual sports tend to get endorsed by tons of things. The American advertising landscape is not representative of how much the big names rake in outside of just tournament winnings.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also a lot of tennis endorsements that are outside of sporting brands are often very high end products. You'll see ads in airports and publications like the Economist where its Maria Sharapova advertising for some swanky rear end Swiss watch maker.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah, you're not going to see an ad with any of them during a football game or something.

To emphasize how much tennis players make: Novak Djokovic once bought the entire world's supply of donkey cheese. It is only produced at one farm somewhere in Serbia costs $500 a pound.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Ribsauce posted:

One of the wealthiest women tennis players is a Chinese pro who won like the French and Australian open once and then retired.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah, you're not going to see an ad with any of them during a football game or something.

To emphasize how much tennis players make: Novak Djokovic once bought the entire world's supply of donkey cheese. It is only produced at one farm somewhere in Serbia costs $500 a pound.

So he bought what, 2 lbs?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Idk but I just double checked and apparently that report was a hoax and British newspapers are loving stupid. Day ruined

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Donkey Cheese sounds like a 90's ska band name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Muddy Burphy posted:

Donkey Cheese sounds like a 90's ska band name.
Or a bootleg arcade game in the back of a vietnamese bodega circa 1983.