Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

tarepanda posted:

http://www.lennoxhonychurch.com/heritage.cfm?Id=255

First result for "titiri fish."

Thanks. Didn't know removing spaces made such a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I'm dropping out of Uni at the end of this Semester to sort out my life/move out/stabilise my own personal skills before I change degree paths. However I am not enjoying this semester at all and am probably going to fail.

is it worth sticking with it for the next however many weeks and sucking off my student loan teat or should i jus drop out once I find a job

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Spermando posted:

Anyone know what accent this is? Some people say it's the Virginia Piedmont dialect, but it sounds nothing like it.
It's not Appalachian, since it's non-rhotic (i.e. he doesn't say his r's at the end of words). It could be Coastal Southern, but most likely it's just an actor's approximation of, as A Violence Gang said, Southern old money.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Solus posted:

I'm dropping out of Uni at the end of this Semester to sort out my life/move out/stabilise my own personal skills before I change degree paths. However I am not enjoying this semester at all and am probably going to fail.

is it worth sticking with it for the next however many weeks and sucking off my student loan teat or should i jus drop out once I find a job

If you plan on going back to university at some point, it would be helpful to finish this semester, but if you're really just going to fail, it doesn't make any difference and you might as well start looking for a job.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Solus posted:

The first thing I would do, regardless of the circumstances, is approach your advisor, and tell them, "I can't see any way how this semester is going to work out for me, and I'm already planning on leaving at the end of the semester. Assuming that having a stable life is more important than maintaining my grade point average, how would you recommend I go about finishing out this semester?" Your professors will probably tell you to stick it out, that there's always time to turn your grade around (unless you're literally so far mired that it's impossible to pull out a passing grade), but your advisor will generally have a broader appreciation of what you're going through and how to deal with the classes as a whole.

Honestly, though, if you're failing this semester because you already know you're leaving at the end, and you're just thinking of yourself as a "dead man walking", so to speak, you're probably better off just ripping off the Band-Aid, filing a leave or withdrawal notice, and walking away. If you want to pass these classes but are not sure if you can, then stick it out and work your rear end off.

Also, be aware, if you are not already, that a job is more difficult than just about any undergraduate courseload. The best illustration I've seen of how little students are aware of this came when I returned from my own (five-year) leave of absence. Since they'd changed the freshman orientation classes, I was required to take one when I returned; it was at 8:30 in the morning, and on the first day, a lot of students complained because it was so early. The professor said, "You know, a lot of jobs make you start at 8:00 these days." Universally the students said "No, jobs are 9 AM to 5 PM. That's how it works." When I told them that for the three years previous I'd been working 6 AM to 4 PM, four days a week, they didn't believe me.

All of which is to say that if you haven't been in the workforce before, you may want to re-think your decision to leave school. I'm just saying.

Also, if you do decide to leave and get a job, for the love of God don't tell your employer that you left school because it was boring and you didn't like it. (The hiring manager will ask you why you left school; saying that will make him think that you'll walk out of your job as soon as it gets boring or distasteful too!)

You should know that a strikingly large percentage of people who take an extended break from college/university end up never going back, for one reason or another. I'm not saying that to discourage you - I took a five-year break and did end up finishing my degree (at the same college I started in!), so I'm certainly not saying it can't be done. Just be prepared for the possibility that you'll leave and never come back.

If you withdraw from a school, or are otherwise removed from its rolls, there's a good chance that you'll have to re-apply when you return. This is not always a formality; it's entirely possible to be rejected as a returning student, and your grades in your final semesters will play a part in determining whether you are re-admitted.

Whew! </:words:>

Oh, there is one more thing to consider: If you leave in the middle of the semester, you don't get a pro-rated student loan. You still have to pay back the whole semester's loans.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Lester B. Pearson posted:

That didn't sound anything like the accent in the clip he posted to. I also doubt someone with a transatlantic accent would say 'I reckon' since the link you posted says "The accent comes from American boarding schools in New England where students were taught to speak English in more of an RP or high-class British way." and the one in the video was southern of some kind.
:ohdear:

Yup, I was totally wrong. I'd been listening to a lot of Transatlantic lately (I want this accent) and didn't watch the whole clip before I had a pseudoBaader-Meinhof gut reaction.

(After listening to a dozen Discworld audiobooks in a row at a temp job years ago I started thinking in the same accent as the reader for a bit.)

I think I asked this before with no result, but is there a website that just does a quick rundown of cross-platform video games on each major platform? Just a simple PS3, 360, PC(min/max settings) table with screenshots, DLC/mods, release dates, etc? I got Portal 2 on PS3 for the free PC copy, purchase many games on 360 for very slightly better graphics, and would really like an idea of what system I should get older games on or a good guess on what I should preorder other games for.

There are a few PS3/360 screenshot/video sites out there, but I'd like a one-stop shop.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

2508084 posted:

Is there a thread about spotify? I'm not looking for an invite, just peoples experiences with the paid version/app but I cant find one. $10/mo isn't bad for free, legal music if the app is good.

In No Music Discussion.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3183046

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Solus posted:

Whatever you choose to do, be aware that student loan debt is very often a horrific albatross around your neck. Among other things, it's almost the only kind of loan that isn't discharged when filing bankruptcy. Don't borrow any money you don't have to. If you have already-borrowed loan money left over, it's much better to pay it back.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Aphasian posted:

I think I asked this before with no result, but is there a website that just does a quick rundown of cross-platform video games on each major platform? Just a simple PS3, 360, PC(min/max settings) table with screenshots, DLC/mods, release dates, etc? I got Portal 2 on PS3 for the free PC copy, purchase many games on 360 for very slightly better graphics, and would really like an idea of what system I should get older games on or a good guess on what I should preorder other games for.

There are a few PS3/360 screenshot/video sites out there, but I'd like a one-stop shop.

This information is almost impossible to find before a game is released, although it's usually safe to assume that the PC version will support higher resolutions and have more mod potential. Sometimes Eurogamer will run direct graphics comparisons between 360 and PS3 version, they're the only site I've seen to do that frequently.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

My friends and I found

this motherfucker in one of our houses last night. (We're in Washington State).

What kind of lizard is this? When we release him into the wild where should we do it? Thanks for the help (and sorry if there's a thread for this sort of thing).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
That looks like a skink of some type, actually pretty similar to a blue tongued skink only the markings are not quite right. Regardless, it doesn't look anything like the examples of reptiles native to Washington state that I found online. Is it possible that it is someone's escaped pet?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

That looks like a skink of some type, actually pretty similar to a blue tongued skink only the markings are not quite right. Regardless, it doesn't look anything like the examples of reptiles native to Washington state that I found online. Is it possible that it is someone's escaped pet?

It seems a bit more... lizardy than most skinks.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
This is a pretty boring topic but here goes. I want to buy a foam mattress topper for my dorm bed (twin extra-long.) Two questions: I heard it makes it hard to sleep on a regular bed afterwards, or a couch, is this true? Second, which is the best to get?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Xaander posted:

It seems a bit more... lizardy than most skinks.

Skinks are lizards? You can tell their family by the head shape, its pretty distinct.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

This is a pretty boring topic but here goes. I want to buy a foam mattress topper for my dorm bed (twin extra-long.) Two questions: I heard it makes it hard to sleep on a regular bed afterwards, or a couch, is this true? Second, which is the best to get?

Not really and I'm happy with the one I bought here: http://www.emattress.com/

e: make sure to get a mattress cover to put under the fitted sheet. keeps the topper better in place.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

You'll get used to whatever you sleep on regularly and anything else might feel uncomfortable for a bit afterwards.

Also look into 'featherbeds' that go on top of your mattress and are essentially a pillowtop mattress cover. They will transform your bed completely.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Xaander posted:

My friends and I found

this motherfucker in one of our houses last night. (We're in Washington State).

What kind of lizard is this? When we release him into the wild where should we do it? Thanks for the help (and sorry if there's a thread for this sort of thing).

Looks like a Sagebrush lizard, but I'm not herpetologist.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Bon Iver's touring right now; I'm trying to find the name of one of his band members, though a cursory glance online reveals nothing.

Looking for the kid on the left at the stage-- blue shirt, backup vocals in this video. Anyone have any ideas? (Could always just email/ask, but thought this may prove speedier.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey2SdhoDMU8

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Besesoth posted:

Education words

yeah i've gone and spoken to the careers adviser. I'm basically gonna use the mid semester break to see if theres any jobs about and if theres any I can do I'm gonna apply, if I get the job I'm gonna leave. (I have worked a year of full-time in a Bakery between High School and Uni so I know what working is like)

Also Student loans, I'm in New Zealand so they are handled a bit differently. No interest no matter what and I dont start paying it back for a few years or until i earn a certain amount a year

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Small question for recording buffs. I'm a drummer looking to get multi-track recording software. A) How can I know if my soundcard supports multitracking? B) When people say "... unless you go with an external recording interface." does a mixer count as an external recording interface, or what exactly is it? C) Can anyone recommend a good multi track software (other than Pro Tools)?

Thanks y'all.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Solus posted:

yeah i've gone and spoken to the careers adviser. I'm basically gonna use the mid semester break to see if theres any jobs about and if theres any I can do I'm gonna apply, if I get the job I'm gonna leave. (I have worked a year of full-time in a Bakery between High School and Uni so I know what working is like)

Also Student loans, I'm in New Zealand so they are handled a bit differently. No interest no matter what and I dont start paying it back for a few years or until i earn a certain amount a year

Sounds good. At least you're being responsible about it. :) Also, memo to self: move to New Zealand the next time I have to take out student loans.

Also, Travakian, I love your avatar; something about it really calls to me. Did you design it? If not, where did you find it?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

How do I stop youtube from auto-playing videos?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Dicky B posted:

How do I stop youtube from auto-playing videos?

YouTube doesn't let users toggle autoplay. The only way around it seems to be browser plugins (here's the Chrome one) and even they don't seem to work on embedded videos.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is there a type of consumer dishwasher that's similar to the restaurant styled ones? I find it really stupid that I have to wait an hour or two for the one in my kitchen when there are dishwashers out there that will wash the same amount of dishes, better, in only 5 minutes.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

change my name posted:

Is there a type of consumer dishwasher that's similar to the restaurant styled ones? I find it really stupid that I have to wait an hour or two for the one in my kitchen when there are dishwashers out there that will wash the same amount of dishes, better, in only 5 minutes.

They really won't, though. Restaurant-style dishwashers require pre-washing of dishes, since they don't actually wash; they sanitize, which is a different process. They're also designed to process dozens of loads at a stretch, and the design is such that if you're only doing household dishes, you're going to end up stinking up your kitchen and "washing" your dishes in filthy water.

Here's a FAQ that explains more.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I remember reading a wikipedia entry based around the idea that when people are given something simple to decide upon (the example on wikipedia was painting a barn), everyone and their mother tend to give their opinions about how it should be done, slowing the process down and causing it to take longer than necessary. Conversely, when something is complicated, the opposite happens.

Does anyone know what term I'm thinking of?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I remember reading a wikipedia entry based around the idea that when people are given something simple to decide upon (the example on wikipedia was painting a barn), everyone and their mother tend to give their opinions about how it should be done, slowing the process down and causing it to take longer than necessary. Conversely, when something is complicated, the opposite happens.

Does anyone know what term I'm thinking of?

You were close - bicycle shed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_Law_of_Triviality

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm not sure if is thread worthy (and I think that right there says it's not), but what tips can you offer for getting a part time job? I'm a college student, and this will be my first official job, so I don't have much to show for. I'm going around town trying local and chain businesses, handing out resume's when they ask for them, and just waiting. Everyone says I should do a follow up visit after I apply, just to see what happens. I've done this for about half the places I applied to.

Right now this seems like a game of luck and waiting. What can I do to increase chances of employment?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Avocadoes posted:

Right now this seems like a game of luck and waiting. What can I do to increase chances of employment?

Temp/staffing agencies. (not ones you have to pay)
Local ads for "Tester"/Call center/Etc
Go to local companies websites, that is usually where the first listing goes

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Avocadoes posted:

I'm not sure if is thread worthy (and I think that right there says it's not), but what tips can you offer for getting a part time job? I'm a college student, and this will be my first official job, so I don't have much to show for. I'm going around town trying local and chain businesses, handing out resume's when they ask for them, and just waiting. Everyone says I should do a follow up visit after I apply, just to see what happens. I've done this for about half the places I applied to.

Sheer volume of applications, basically. Just keep pumping them out to anywhere you can.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Besesoth posted:

YouTube doesn't let users toggle autoplay. The only way around it seems to be browser plugins (here's the Chrome one) and even they don't seem to work on embedded videos.
Works well enough for my needs. many thanks!

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've seen this once as a kid at my grandparents and once a few years back at a house I rented. Sewer rooter people have to run a rooter snake thing through the sewer line access hole in backyard.

Both times I remember they said something about "probably tree roots" (rooter?) Do tree roots really breach the lines? (googling says they do) Are they PVC? And is just cutting out the obstruction really all that's normally done? Wouldn't you have holes in the line or a completely open split line leaking sewage into your yard?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 20, 2011

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Golbez posted:

You were close - bicycle shed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_Law_of_Triviality

Yess. Thank you. I'm sending this to a few co-workers because we're in this exact situation right now

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Besesoth posted:

Also, Travakian, I love your avatar; something about it really calls to me. Did you design it? If not, where did you find it?

Yep, made it myself for a personal project. Traced out a bunch of different city skylines (this is Toronto), shimmied around buildings to fit a nice little circle/sphere but retaining identifiable shapes (so it's no longer the real skyline as the buildings are all mixed around, but hopefully you can still pick 'em out of a police lineup.

For the project version, there's a white outline around the circle and the bottom part is solid white water that's animated sloshing about. For the forums, made the white border and water / front building transparent (and still; couldn't get the animation small enough file size to fit limits).

Thanks for the kind words!

Also: moving to New Zealand is always a good idea.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Travakian posted:

Yep, made it myself for a personal project. Traced out a bunch of different city skylines (this is Toronto), shimmied around buildings to fit a nice little circle/sphere but retaining identifiable shapes (so it's no longer the real skyline as the buildings are all mixed around, but hopefully you can still pick 'em out of a police lineup.

For the project version, there's a white outline around the circle and the bottom part is solid white water that's animated sloshing about. For the forums, made the white border and water / front building transparent (and still; couldn't get the animation small enough file size to fit limits).

Thanks for the kind words!

Could you upload the rest? I'd be interested in seeing them.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Wagonburner posted:

I've seen this once as a kid at my grandparents and once a few years back at a house I rented. Sewer rooter people have to run a rooter snake thing through the sewer line access hole in backyard.

Both times I remember they said something about "probably tree roots" (rooter?) Do tree roots really breach the lines? (googling says they do) Are they PVC? And is just cutting out the obstruction really all that's normally done? Wouldn't you have holes in the line or a completely open split line leaking sewage into your yard?

Good info here.
http://www.lowesforpros.com/5-steps-to-dealing-with-invasive-tree-roots

Depending on how old the house is, the pipe that goes out from the house to the main sewer may be cast iron, not PVC.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I got a copy of "Game Over: How Nintendo Conquered The World" free with a copy of Arcade magazine years ago. I have since lost the book and would like to read it again. Amazon has it for stupid prices, and ebay is much more acceptable but still over priced.

Is this book out of print? I know I can get out of print books ordered from WH Smith, but does anyone know where I can get this book for <£10?

Has there ever been a follow up (by Sheff or not)? Charting post SNES to DS/Wii release? The former was fascinating and I'm sure an equally well written follow up would be an interesting read.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Travakian posted:

New Zealand's an awesome place to live until you finish your schooling or after you've started a family. The intervening years will bore you loving rigid though.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

Fig Newton posted:

Depending on how old the house is, the pipe that goes out from the house to the main sewer may be cast iron, not PVC.
Around here they use clay pipe, which sounds like a terrible idea, but I'm no plumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

My google-fu is failing me... whats the website that will help you find items to get up to the 25.00 needed for amazons super saver shipping?