Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Him & Her is back Nov 1st. This is great news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Red Oktober posted:

Haha, I feel that my views haven't come across on this at all - I agree with them to ridicule her, I agree that she was a poo poo contestant, I just think that everyone would have just chuckled and let it pass had it been someone else saying it.

It's not that people are using goods made by a capitalist society - it's that there are few companies which personify capitalism as much as Starbucks. It's hardly an original thought to draw the link of course - Forbes are doing it right now: http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterleeds/2011/10/24/can-you-occupy-wall-street-with-a-starbucks-in-your-hand/

No they wouldn't have. It was such a stupid thing to say that it transcended whatever idiot said it. If Boris said it, he would have got a ripping, if Prescott had said it, he'd have got a ripping, if a generic comedian had said it, they'd have got a ripping. There might have been a slight emphasis to the disgust they all showed because she's currently in a position of political power and should loving know better.

It wasn't pick on Mensch because she's Mensch; it was pick on this huge idiot who's being paid to be in a position where her ignorant views are loving over other people.

If it was a fireman who spouted that people without a fire extinguisher in their home should just be left to burn for their own stupidity, they'd have received a similar response.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

Hoops posted:

The problem with Derren Brown is the payoff is never quite good enough. Atleast not anymore. I never finish a programme going "wow, that was amazing". I like him as a TV personality well enough though.

I thought that this was one of his best programmes! He staged an experiment that's almost impossible to pull off outside a TV show, and which I was genuinely interested to know the answer to. Even the quick trick with the shoe amazed me. But then maybe I'm easily amazed.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

lionlegs posted:

I thought that this was one of his best programmes! He staged an experiment that's almost impossible to pull off outside a TV show, and which I was genuinely interested to know the answer to. Even the quick trick with the shoe amazed me. But then maybe I'm easily amazed.
I thought the shoe was great. The programmes themselves though always seem to have pacing issues at the end. The entire programme builds up to whatever it is, then it happens, and then the whole show goes completely flat when Derren comes in with his calm voice and they interview the person and they never really know what to say, they're always just a bit bewildered and quiet. The last five minutes go out with a whimper, especially when it's all shot through hidden cameras or a camerman hastily jogging down a corridor. It sounds ridiculous but a bit of climactic music wouldn't go amiss in most of Derren Brown's programmes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nevett posted:

Him & Her is back Nov 1st. This is great news.

At least we didn't lose them in the latest 'shake up' I fear however we've lost Mongrels :(.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Hoops posted:

Although, as massive corporations go Starbucks is one of the most respectable in terms of social responsibility anyway.
Eh? They use their market dominance to depress the coffee market and gently caress over growers, and they actively fight unionisation of their workforce by shutting down stores that try to unionise in the US. Along with the whole monoculture thing too, they're massive bastards.

Porphyrogenitos
Jun 3, 2011
No love for Dr Buckles on Never Mind the Buzzcocks? it was fantastic. or SUTIN.

Moby Moby Moby Moby Michael Stipe Moby Moby Moby

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
DO THE MOUSE :colbert:

Loved it. I didn't even realise Buzzcocks was back on.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone watch Mummifying Alan? It felt a little padded and more style than substance in places, but was quite interesting. Many more close-ups of the corpse than I was expecting, which is daft in hindsight as it is a Channel 4 programme about a dead man.

Not sure I'd agree with the professor that his mummy "looks like he's sleeping"; I thought he looked more like Benito Mussolini. :zombie:

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Yeah, Buzzcocks was great this time. Even the "Youtube comments" round was far, far better than it had any right to be.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The YouTube commentator was right though, Beverley Knight is definitely a Milf.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Possibly the best Buzzcock episode. Brilliant.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Quanta posted:

The YouTube commentator was right though, Beverley Knight is definitely a Milf.

I think the place society is at now, a MILF is an attractive lady over 17 or so.

text
Mar 12, 2011
Buzzcocks was great

(oh god don't let MILF spark of feminism chat again)

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Why was The Queen hosting Nevermind the Buzzcocks?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Raeg posted:

Why was The Queen hosting Nevermind the Buzzcocks?

Well, Blind Date isn't on anymore. She has to do something.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

reality_groove posted:

Well, Blind Date isn't on anymore. She has to do SUTIN.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lorra Lorra Lorra etc.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That was the best Buzzcocks since Amstell made Preston walk. Buxton should be the permanent host.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
Excellent Buzzcocks episode and Count Buckules is back on twitter.

Porphyrogenitos
Jun 3, 2011

HoldYourFire posted:

Yeah, Buzzcocks was great this time. Even the "Youtube comments" round was far, far better than it had any right to be.

I think its Buxton's incoherent youtube comment voice that makes it.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Rejected Fate posted:

Possibly the best Buzzcock episode. Brilliant.

It was a good episode but this is going a bit far

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Still think the Lorraine Kelly one was funnier. The Youtube comment section this week is a horrible, lovely idea on paper but turned out really funny. All the jingles were godawful, no part of them worked.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

le chat posted:

It was a good episode but this is going a bit far

Well, one of the best in recent seasons. It's been quite a while since I've enjoyed another episode of it quite as much.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I spent much of yesterday evening hanging out with Francesca Martinez at an awards ceremony I helped organise and she was thoroughly lovely and also a really good host. I haven't seen her on British tv in forever which is criminal.

I thought someone in this thread might enjoy that.

Crackerman fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 25, 2011

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

SeanBeansShako posted:

At least we didn't lose them in the latest 'shake up' I fear however we've lost Mongrels :(.

Just saw an ad on BBC3 for the new series of Mongrels too. "Coming soon". :)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nevett posted:

Just saw an ad on BBC3 for the new series of Mongrels too. "Coming soon". :)

Hurray, then not all hope is lost!

Still pissed off about them ending Ideal though. At least Graham Duff can write something new now, I hope.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hurray, then not all hope is lost!

Still pissed off about them ending Ideal though. At least Graham Duff can write something new now, I hope.

After Monkey Dust, Ideal was probably the best program BBC Three produced. Why can't we have some more :(

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Z-Magic posted:

After Monkey Dust, Ideal was probably the best program BBC Three produced. Why can't we have some more :(

Not comedy, but "our war" on bbc3 was surprisingly great. I think it took 3 years to film though, so im doubtful there will be another series. Its a pity their documentary output isn't as strong as some of their comedy though. like E4 its a channel that sometimes produces a gem or two.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 26, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Z-Magic posted:

I got my fingers crossed that the close cast will stay interested and in a year or two we might get a special that ties everything together.

Pisses me off the OST of it on Amazon is annoyingly expensive.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Wasn't 15 Storeys High BBC3? After the radio 4 version that is

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Holy Flying Circus was quite good. When I think of BBC4 I can't remember many dramas or comedies, but from what I can, they've been pretty good. I'm glad there's that kind of niche, shame it will get slashed to gently caress in the next few years.

Skeksis
Feb 8, 2005

Crackerman posted:

I spent much of yesterday evening hanging out with Francesca Martinez at an awards ceremony I helped organise and she was thoroughly lovely and also a really good host. I haven't seen her on British tv in forever which is criminal.

I thought someone in this thread might enjoy that.

She was good on Richard Herring's Edinburgh Fringe Podcast ( RHEFP (rhefp!) ) earlier this year.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

Wasn't 15 Storeys High BBC3? After the radio 4 version that is

It was yeah.

When you think about it, Steve Coogan has pretty much funded most of the comedy now recently out of his own pocket with Baby Cow Productions.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
I was preparing for the final episode of Fresh Meat, but I see now that there are three more. Didn't think too much of last week's protest one, but the synopsis for tonight's looks promising.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Just in case anyone was unaware, Frozen Planet (the new David Attenborough series) starts tonight on BBC 1 at 9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hObov-E540o

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
What's the general consensus about Fresh Meat in the thread? I've been putting it off every time it's on and I'm considering watching it all on 4OD.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Oh nooooooo it's the last in the series of The Fades. Actually heartbroken.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Atomic Dog posted:

Just in case anyone was unaware, Frozen Planet (the new David Attenborough series) starts tonight on BBC 1 at 9.

Attenborough is on the telly. God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world. :3:

Awww, eight minutes in and the polar bears are already shagging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Irisi posted:

Attenborough is on the telly. God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world. :3:

Awww, eight minutes in and the polar bears are already shagging.
awwwww The penguin got away:)