Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Whoa, awesome and I get Parallels for free? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They also used to sell Applecare for only $99 add-on but that promo ended.

Also if you do the free shipping option it goes UPS Ground and it takes forever. And by forever I mean it takes longer than Amazon Prime and I'm really impatient.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mu Zeta posted:

They also used to sell Applecare for only $99 add-on but that promo ended.

Also if you do the free shipping option it goes UPS Ground and it takes forever. And by forever I mean it takes longer than Amazon Prime and I'm really impatient.

If they ship from NYC, then they don't have far to go to Brooklyn :whatup:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I currently have a 13in air that I'm super happy with. I'm thinking about giving it to my sister who is in a bad place and needs a laptop for school and stuff. Would I notice the resolution difference if I downgraded to a 11 inch air? I'd love to get like, 1080p in resolution, but I'm aware that won't happen. Is there any word on a retina style 11inch air anytime soon?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Ramadu posted:

Would I notice the resolution difference if I downgraded to a 11 inch air?

It's more that you'll notice the screen size difference. The 11.6 inch air is 16:9, versus the 13.3 inch 16:10 screen, which makes the 13" air 1.36 inches taller, or 23% taller.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
nvm

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 13, 2012

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Question - My 2011 i7 15" MBP gets stupidly hot when doing anything remotely CPU intensive, like playing flash video or compiling. Is it worth going into the machine and checking whether Apple was too "liberal" in their application of thermal paste? Other than that, is there any benefit to upgrading the installed fans to the newer design?

VVVVV - The CPU temps run into the high 80s (Celsius) and the fans ramp up to 6K RPM, and it's annoying as gently caress.

krooj fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 13, 2012

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The MacBooks get hot as poo poo if you do anything CPU intensive, not much you can do.

:siren:PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:siren: with a 2009 13" MBP showed that re-applying the paste did nothing. There are successful reports, of course, and the 15" is a bit of a different beast so YMMV, but unless it's throttling you shouldn't worry.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

krooj posted:

Question - My 2011 i7 15" MBP gets stupidly hot when doing anything remotely CPU intensive, like playing flash video or compiling. Is it worth going into the machine and checking whether Apple was too "liberal" in their application of thermal paste? Other than that, is there any benefit to upgrading the installed fans to the newer design?

VVVVV - The CPU temps run into the high 80s (Celsius) and the fans ramp up to 6K RPM, and it's annoying as gently caress.

You can use smcFanControl to preemptively up the fan speed, but no, what you're seeing is (seemingly, without being there) normal. Dell's preference is for more even temperatures while consistently sounding like a hair dryer, Apple's preference is for a generally quiet machine that's cooled aggressively under an unusual sustained load.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

krooj posted:

Flash is poo poo and will always hammer your CPU. Also, 80ºC is nothing. My 2010 will hit and sustain 95º while under heavy load with the fans running at "takeoff" RPMs.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
 ↑↑↑↑↑
Flash and desktop Java are loving poo poo, and should die.

My 11" MBA is some kinda miracle then, cause for the same workloads, its silent. I guess the diff is IVB+Integrated gfx and SB+Radeon gfx...

krooj fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 13, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My 13" IVB Air is also silent.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

Doh004 posted:

Good to know! I guess I'll live with the smaller SSD as I'm not really putting any multimedia on there. Really just a programming machine.

*edit* I want to upgrade to 8gb of ram. Amazon doesn't appear to have a 8gb version of the 13" Air. Any suggestions aside from buying straight from the store?

You can't upgrade the RAM on the Air. 4gb is the max, its soldered to the mainboard.

The only time I've ever heard the fans run on my Air is after playing Diablo 3 for two hours.

EDIT:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Run it down below 95% then charge it and see if it goes to 100%. Apple purposely doesn't charge the battery at anything >95% because it's bad to continually top it off.

I guess I hit that designated threshold point for the 95% charge. After running the battery down one, and then again before it hit max charge, its displaying normal numbers. At least now I won't worry about seeing the 95 anymore!

Ardemia fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 16, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ardemia posted:

You can't upgrade the RAM on the Air. 4gb is the max, its soldered to the mainboard.

Maybe not YOUR Air, but if you buy a currently selling model BTO Air from the Apple Store you can get 8 GB. Also still soldered and non-upgradeable.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Maybe not YOUR Air, but if you buy a currently selling model BTO Air from the Apple Store you can get 8 GB. Also still soldered and non-upgradeable.

He was correct in what he said-- if he purchases the 4gb from Amazon, he cannot upgrade it to 8gb. There are no alternatives other than purchasing 8gb from the store (Which stores generally have decent deals? B&H Photo, Macmall, Apple Refurbs)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

There are some online retailers who sell 8 GB MBA 13-inchers..

http://www.smalldog.com/product/80966/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My 2011 11" Air gets much hotter than my 2011 13" Air, while just surfing the net. The 13" is almost always cool to the touch while the 11" is somewhere between 'warm' and 'hot'. Both CPU's are basically idle.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I just wanted to post that for those of you interested in upgrading your soon-to-be-vintage iMacs and think the cost is too preventative with $300 video cards / CPUs and such, the resale of these components is bizarrely high. The international response is really big. My 2009 iMac's 4850 card sold for $150 (and the corresponding heatsink sold for $25 as the buyer didn't want it). The i5 750 (which is 2 generations old) sold for $135. Ireland, Italy, and Malaysia all want these components. Anyway, that can offset your costs substantially as your AppleCare runs out.

eames
May 9, 2009

On the topic of MBA temperatures, I have to say that my 2012 13" gets much hotter than my old 2011 13" when playing games on OS X.

The area around the WASD keys gets hot enough to be quite uncomfortable while playing Portal 2. The CPU temperature never goes beyond 85°C so I doubt it’s a thermal paste problem.

Both machines are 100% silent and cool while idling/websurfing (without flash).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Binary Badger posted:

There are some online retailers who sell 8 GB MBA 13-inchers..

http://www.smalldog.com/product/80966/

B&H, which I was referred to on this very page has a good deal on the 8gb version of the 13" Air.

I think once my credit cycle starts I may have to bite the bullet :ohdear:

antisocial democrat
Mar 28, 2007

I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased.

Doh004 posted:

B&H, which I was referred to on this very page has a good deal on the 8gb version of the 13" Air.

I think once my credit cycle starts I may have to bite the bullet :ohdear:

I'm not sure if MacMall has a good reputation or not (I haven't heard anything bad about them myself), but there's an Apple Insider coupon there for 3% off that puts the Air with 8 gb of ram at ~$1239. Only like a 30 dollar discount, but I'm thinking I might use it to offset faster shipping. Coupon's here: http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

It also says something about free fedex 2-day shipping, but I think that refers to that stupid shoprunner thing.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
Having never bought a mac before...

I'm looking at a rMBP. I want the 512gb SSD, but I can't decide if I should go for the 16gb of RAM. I know 8GB is just fine, but will there be a noticeable difference with 16gb if I am playing games in bootcamp?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No. You only need 4 gigs for games, and a lot of them don't use more than 2gigs. The GeForce 650 is the bottleneck, not anything else on the rMBP.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
My dvd burner in a 2007 MBP finally failed, so I'm thinking of replacing it with a second SSD for windows. Is this the only option or is there something else I can buy?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

zalmoxes posted:

My dvd burner in a 2007 MBP finally failed, so I'm thinking of replacing it with a second SSD for windows. Is this the only option or is there something else I can buy?

I don't think that's you're only option. There are some $12-20 options out there that could fit. Just depends on how tall your drive is.

BlackMK4 posted:

Update on my $12 optibay.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FM4UGE

Upsides:
$12, how can you possibly go wrong?
It works perfectly.
It fits using two of the three stock mounting points.

Downsides:
No instructions,not really a big deal since you can find them online easily enough.
Need to trim one of the tabs about a millimeter, so not too bad. In the first picture it's the tab on the bottom left that needs to be trimmed.
Can't change drives without removing it.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Ah, this is how the cycle of annually selling your current mac to buy the upgraded version starts. I would loving love to have an Air with 8GB ram and a 512SSD.

Ardemia fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 15, 2012

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Something is wrong with my Option key; it either feels as if the key is too big to fit the slot, or as something beneath it is broken.

Is this a known issue, and is there something simple that can be done about it, because otherwise, I might be facing my second MacBook Air replacement within my free 90-day AppleCare period.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

ufarn posted:

Something is wrong with my Option key; it either feels as if the key is too big to fit the slot, or as something beneath it is broken.

Is this a known issue, and is there something simple that can be done about it, because otherwise, I might be facing my second MacBook Air replacement within my free 90-day AppleCare period.

The key might have just come out of it's socket. You can take it out completely(just pull it up gently) and fit it back in.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

ufarn posted:

You have one year minimum of AppleCare, buddy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

1997 posted:

You have one year minimum of AppleCare, buddy.
Yeah, I thought the one icon was the phone support.

Speaking if which, how big's the window for buying an extension of the care? At the end of the included, free AppleCare?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

ufarn posted:

Yeah, I thought the one icon was the phone support.

Speaking if which, how big's the window for buying an extension of the care? At the end of the included, free AppleCare?

You have the entire year during your free AppleCare to do it.

Also, there are no known issues with keys being easily removed from machines. There may well be something stuck underneath the key too. If you have an Apple Store nearby, just have them look at it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Sure hope so, I've been talking myself out of a Mac Mini purchase since February. Give it USB 3.0, a small CPU bump and get it out the door Apple. 90% of what I want is just the security of knowing it was newly refreshed and another version is at least a year away.

I love my mac mini, and I want the same, usb 3.0 would be wonderful and I would sell my mid 2011 and grab a new one with integrated video card for an extra 200$. It would be great. :allears:

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
How well would a maxed out MacBook Air 13" run Final Cut X? Nothing to heavy, mostly just playing around with it or making short 5 minute max videos. I really should know this but don't, so I'm hoping one of you can break it down for me.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Performance should be acceptable. The bigger issue will be how cramped it feels at 1440x900. It's not terrible horrible unusable, but it's nicer to use with more breathing room.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CombatMedic posted:

I'm looking at a rMBP. I want the 512gb SSD, but I can't decide if I should go for the 16gb of RAM. I know 8GB is just fine, but will there be a noticeable difference with 16gb if I am playing games in bootcamp?

Beaten slightly, but 32-bit apps cannot access more than 2 gigs of RAM, and thus far there haven't been any 64-bit only games, just some upgraded clients to a select few existing 32-bit games like World of Warcraft and the original Crysis.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

univbee posted:

Beaten slightly, but 32-bit apps cannot access more than 2 gigs of RAM.

4 GB.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Considering buying a MBA on Craigslist. Are there any diagnostics to check the RAM and SSD that I can throw on a flash drive to check it out? Anything else I should look at?

Here's the ad, by the way: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/sys/3273956211.html

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I think it might actually be the entire system can't address more than 4GB and one process can't address more than 2GB.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dexter6 posted:

Considering buying a MBA on Craigslist. Are there any diagnostics to check the RAM and SSD that I can throw on a flash drive to check it out? Anything else I should look at?

Here's the ad, by the way: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/sys/3273956211.html

The ad's worded kind of scammy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

The ad's worded kind of scammy.

What do you think is scammy about that?

dexter6:

That looks like near mint condition. There aren't really any meaningful tests you can do in the amount of time a Craigslist seller is going to want to wait (reliable memtest needs multiple passes, meaning at least an hour). Get some kind of S.M.A.R.T. tool, and if you like what you see, buy it.