Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blinded by Light is awesome. I need more violins in my JRPG music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

effectual posted:

Yeah I got midway through it my first time before looking at faqs but I was terrible and only did a few points of damage per hit. The game's sales had to have been affected negatively by the steep learning curve.

What was up with square making super grindy crafting at that time? Between VS and FF8, they put some mmo grinds to shame.

Ever play Stella Deus? Some dude wrote a program in VB to help with crafting. That poo poo was some of the most monotonous nonsense ever. Of course, I was doing a summer internship in college and therefore had like 8 hours a night to kill so I did it to some extent...

Also, this thread has convinced me to restart FFXIII. I enjoyed the battle system a lot and want to finish it. I got the published in-print guide for free as a bonus when I originally got it, so, I've never even checked GameFAQs. Is the guide pretty accurate or is it one of those that was done while the game was in beta and then a ton of poo poo changed? I believe it helps with the hunts and Titan stuff quite a bit.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

If you honestly think Blinded By Light is lounge music then I don't know what to say except I'd like to know what lounges you've been to. v:shobon:v

That's the boss I just fought https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9nF22Jnq10 :eng99:

edit: Is Palumpolum a mistranslation of Palumporum, or just a strangely spelled reference?

victrix fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 20, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

That's the only fight in the entire game to use that music and I'm still not sure why it does.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

It's also one of the harder boss fights in the game IMO.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

That's the only fight in the entire game to use that music and I'm still not sure why it does.

It was just the game loving with me after I complained about lounge music

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

pretend to care posted:

Ever play Stella Deus? Some dude wrote a program in VB to help with crafting. That poo poo was some of the most monotonous nonsense ever. Of course, I was doing a summer internship in college and therefore had like 8 hours a night to kill so I did it to some extent...

Also, this thread has convinced me to restart FFXIII. I enjoyed the battle system a lot and want to finish it. I got the published in-print guide for free as a bonus when I originally got it, so, I've never even checked GameFAQs. Is the guide pretty accurate or is it one of those that was done while the game was in beta and then a ton of poo poo changed? I believe it helps with the hunts and Titan stuff quite a bit.

I'm guessing you are talking about that awesome hardback one? Is there even another one? Anyway, if so then yeah, it's really quite good. I am absolutely certain some basement lord on gamefaqs has done up something more in depth by now, but the old strat guide never failed me.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
I think mine is the softcover version, but yeah, the "official" one by Brady or something like that. It seemed to be pretty good, but I was looking through my ancient FFT guide, and it was really inaccurate in certain places, and judging from screenshots, it was made according to some beta version of the US port. I was following the FFXIII guide back when it came out but thought maybe some basement dweller sperged out and made something a lot more accurate.

I'll take your word on the XIII one though. It did seem really well made.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Okay seriously, does every single area in Final Fantasy Dimensions need a common enemy that blinds, poisons, and/or confuses people all the time? It's bad enough that I need to grind this much, can't you at least let it be mindless?

Dross fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 20, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dross posted:

Okay seriously, does every single area in Final Fantasy Dimensions need a common enemy that blinds, poisons, and/or confuses people all the time? It's bad enough that I need to grind this much, can't you at least let it be mindless?

Not ever section. I found it was easiest to progress the story until you fight enemies that can't do that, grind on them, and then sprint past the next section of irritating encounters. In the First section of the final dungeon you have two themed towers. One is a horrible slog filled with dangerous and annoying foes who cast all sorts of elements on you and the other one is a walk in the park where you can grind on foes like no tomorrow with both giving roughly equivalent AP.

Reminds me: Dimensions 4 Fiends are terrible. And the 3 Ultra-Fiends are introduced so late and have so little character they might as well not exist. The fact you have to fight all of them 2 times each is another nail in the interesting boss design coffin.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MrAristocrates posted:

Blinded by Light is awesome. I need more violins in my JRPG music.
Violins in RPG music is cool when they don't sound like someone just threw a brick at the strings section. They do, however, sound like that in almost every modern (post-PS1) JRPG instance. Not even notes, just loving screeching. I'd wager that's a problem with their synth, though; Hamauzu has always been pretty reliable in the past. And if not, they just need to collectively fire every violinist working in JRPGs.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 20, 2013

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The White Dragon posted:

Violins in RPG music is cool when they don't sound like someone just threw a brick at the strings section. They do, however, sound like that in almost every modern (post-PS1) JRPG instance. Not even notes, just loving screeching. I'd wager that's a problem with their synth, though; Hamauzu has always been pretty reliable in the past. And if not, they just need to collectively fire every violinist working in JRPGs.

Yeah, XIII and (I think? Might be remembering a remix from the Reincarnation album) Persona 4 are the only games in my recent memory with really great violin.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, XIII and (I think? Might be remembering a remix from the Reincarnation album) Persona 4 are the only games in my recent memory with really great violin.

I think it might be I'll Face Myself (Battle) from the Reincarnation album you're thinking of.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I guess that would have to be it, though I thought I remembered something from the actual game. Guess I was wrong.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

victrix posted:

I'm playing through FF13, going to finish it this time. Giving it an honest chance, no expectations.

... however this music is loving terrible.

The battle music was such a unique form of bad that my brain said 'You've heard this before, and it sucked then too.'

Sure enough, the composer is Hamauzu, the dude who did Saga Frontier 2 (which had horrible battle music and a bunch of music I didn't like) and Unlimited Saga (see previous)

Why would they use this guy over Ito or or Shimomura or Sakimoto? Ugh.

Combat is fun, graphics are beautiful, characters are a mixed bag. I actually do like Lightning, so that's something.

Anyway, back to my jrpg lounge music.

edit: God damnit, he did the music for FF13-2 as well? I can't escape :eng99:

You're insane. Music was one of the better things about that game.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

demons. posted:

You're insane. Music was one of the better things about that game.
Oh yeah, what did you like? The Battle theme that is as exciting as Thatcher in a cold shower or the annoying pop song that pierces all mental defences as you're going down the tube?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh yeah, what did you like? The Battle theme that is as exciting as Thatcher in a cold shower or the annoying pop song that pierces all mental defences as you're going down the tube?

I like the Thatcher song and the tube song, personally.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

I like the Thatcher song and the tube song, personally.
Fair enough, I'll be over here, listening to good JRPG songs.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Tell us more about how we're all wrong and FF13's music is actually completely awful and not one of the few things pretty much everyone agrees is good about the game. :allears:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Fair enough, I'll be over here, listening to good JRPG songs.

Such as? Its ok to tell me I swear I won't make fun of your awful taste.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I guess now someone will bust in and say that the Prelude sucks or something :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I liked Blinded by Light and some of the variations, and the other theme they use is alright. Other than that, I can't really remember anything from 13, and 13-2's music was too all over the place for my tastes, though not necessarily bad. Just not my thing other than some of the stuff they re-used from 13.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Honestly, whilst the music in FFXIII wasn't bad, I have the same issue with it that I do with FFXII, namely that I can't remember most of it. There's Sunleth Waterscape, Blinded by Light, and the music that makes Pulse into the world's largest elevator, but that's about it. Oh, and Barthandelus's and Orphan's themes.

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
I routinely listen to Final Fantasy XIII's soundtrack and now XIII-2's around the house as background music. Sounds like I don't like good music.

If Blinded by Light and Knight of the Goddess are wrong then I don't want to be right. Also, Historia Crux makes me irrationally motivated whenever I load up XIII-2.

(This is coming from someone who loves Nobuo Uematsu's work. Call me a monster, I don't care.)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Artix posted:

Tell us more about how we're all wrong and FF13's music is actually completely awful and not one of the few things pretty much everyone agrees is good about the game. :allears:

The music, as presented in FF13 (Remixes of the battle theme actually seem to make something of it so there's something there, I'll admit but it's not in FF13), is ether Orchestrated in a way that makes it melt into generic sludge or pop music so badly made it is physically embarrassing to listen to.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I really miss the synth days from 7 and 8, 8 has some of the best music I've heard in any game by leaps and bounds. Everything now is just too orchestrated/grandiose and this is coming from someone who loves everything Hitoshi Sakimoto has done.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

g0lbez posted:

I really miss the synth days from 7 and 8, 8 has some of the best music I've heard in any game by leaps and bounds. Everything now is just too orchestrated/grandiose and this is coming from someone who loves everything Hitoshi Sakimoto has done.

I like Sakimoto a lot, but I think one of his weaknesses is anything fast paced or intense - he makes awesome epic tunes that make for really good ambient music (FFT is notable here, as is TO), but he's not the type to get me hyped up for a battle. Very similar to Jeremy Soule in that regard - though I dislike Soule a bit because his music is stunningly samey across many games. Dude can do a great theme song though!

Now Ito and his crew... Minstrel Song owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR29ct5ZDu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tyuzYoIDUg

That stuff is boss boss music. The first one is from the last boss, the second is from a secret ultra boss.

Sakimoto did do this piece in FF12 though, which I love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWgc1pSMCMw

edit: poking around at the RS music, there's an awesome range of styles - there's a salsa style boss song in there :v: Fitting that a game titled Minstrel Song would have a great soundtrack. Not all of it was Ito, a lot of it was one the other composers, I can't recall his name though

victrix fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 20, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
XIII and XIII-2's music are as far from generic or lounge-y as absolutely possible. I don't personally believe those who use those terms to describe their music actually know what either of them mean.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

g0lbez posted:

It is funny you should say this, because I loathe basically everything Sakimoto has done outside of VC and a couple tracks from FF12 exactly because it sounds like he recorded all his music off some 90's casio.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

victrix posted:

I like Sakimoto a lot, but I think one of his weaknesses is anything fast paced or intense - he makes awesome epic tunes that make for really good ambient music (FFT is notable here, as is TO), but he's not the type to get me hyped up for a battle.

If this didn't get you in the mood for fighting, then you may be dead inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f49JZ9v79iM

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I liked a majority of FF13's soundtrack, but there were a few bits that were off. The music that plays through many FMVs is very Hollywoodesque and generic compared to the rest of the soundtrack and there were a couple places where the background music didn't fit the setting, like that robot facility that Sazh and Vanille have to work through and the background music is this very funky jazz music.

These lounge/elevator music comparisons are false because all the serene background music that I can think of like Archylte Steppe and Sulyya Spring are pretty good at setting the mood. Just because a song is tranquil and subdued doesn't mean it's boring.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Aureon posted:

I guess now someone will bust in and say that the Prelude sucks or something :colbert:

The Prelude sucks. It took Uematsu like 10 seconds to write it!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Eggie posted:

I liked a majority of FF13's soundtrack, but there were a few bits that were off. The music that plays through many FMVs is very Hollywoodesque and generic compared to the rest of the soundtrack and there were a couple places where the background music didn't fit the setting, like that robot facility that Sazh and Vanille have to work through and the background music is this very funky jazz music.

These lounge/elevator music comparisons are false because all the serene background music that I can think of like Archylte Steppe and Sulyya Spring are pretty good at setting the mood. Just because a song is tranquil and subdued doesn't mean it's boring.
Eh, I dunno, I love jazz, so the music for the Vile Peaks fit for me. Plus, you were controlling Sazh and it's his theme. Can't Catch a Break, that plays during their boss fight, is one of my favorite tracks in the series. FF needs more jazz.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I wasn't the biggest fan of 13's music but I find it pretty alright and enjoyable at times.

I still say 13-2 having a mostly vocal BGM selection was a bad idea (outside of Crazy Chocobo and I will fight whoever hates that one)

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Veks posted:

Also, a Noctis perfume is coming out

Spray it on and maybe maybe you'll notice the scent in ten years.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Level Slide posted:

Spray it on and maybe maybe you'll notice the scent in ten years.

It kinda comes back every three years but you are not certain it really was the same perfume. The seller says it totally is.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It makes you inexplicably popular with people who've only seen you for about five minutes.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
So, SE are presenting a familiar video at the PS4 introduction. Now, Shinji H. is announcing that they are developing some FF titles for this year. Not much info. Quite disappointing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Did SE just troll the gently caress out of everyone by replaying a video we've already seen, then saying "hey we're making a FF game that'll be out this year" or did I just misunderstand their speakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Did SE just troll the gently caress out of everyone by replaying a video we've already seen, then saying "hey we're making a FF game that'll be out this year" or did I just misunderstand their speakers?

No, that was it. "Hey guys, remember this video that isn't actually related to a game? Yeah. Also, we're working on stuff. Bye!"