Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

jBrereton posted:

That's not how it works, they have to be dead.

I've definitely had a mage lose a global they were holding because they got feebleminded. I tested this and everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What are some good research goals for Eriu? Should I shoot for alteration or evocation?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

In disciple games:

Do you get resources from a neighboring allied province if you have a fort?

Can your ally enter your province and use your laboratory to manage magic items and gems?

If I relinquish a province to an ally, will he get all the buildings I've constructed as well?

Can an ally capable of blood sacrifice do so in a temple I own, even if I cannot use blood sacrifice?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Bramble posted:

In disciple games:

Do you get resources from a neighboring allied province if you have a fort?

No

quote:

Can your ally enter your province and use your laboratory to manage magic items and gems?
No

quote:

If I relinquish a province to an ally, will he get all the buildings I've constructed as well?
Yes.

quote:

Can an ally capable of blood sacrifice do so in a temple I own, even if I cannot use blood sacrifice?
Haven't tried it so uh maybe?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

amuayse posted:

What are some good research goals for Eriu? Should I shoot for alteration or evocation?

Thunder Strike remains a midgame game breaker on anyone with A3 base mages. You only need Mistform from Alteration, at least at first, and then only if you have synergistic bless (N9) and intend to thug.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Illwinter posted:

2015-02-18 23:25:29 +0100
New pretenders: Hieracosphinx, Criosphinx, Wadjet and Linnormr
Updated pretender cost autocalc
New descriptions
Corpse Eater icon
fx_hpoverslow
Pretender discount per nations (feat_cheapgod20)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
So, what's up with thugs? I don't really understand the gameplay application of thugs, when to build them, or how to use them. (I kind of understand the gear and spells they use, at least?) I feel like this is a pretty important thing and hoped it'd come to me intuitively but I'm now at 80 hours of playtime against the AI and I still haven't really figured it out.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Mirthless posted:

So, what's up with thugs? I don't really understand the gameplay application of thugs, when to build them, or how to use them. (I kind of understand the gear and spells they use, at least?) I feel like this is a pretty important thing and hoped it'd come to me intuitively but I'm now at 80 hours of playtime against the AI and I still haven't really figured it out.
Ideally they're to take PD guarded provinces en masse or to screw up a mage scripting on the battlefield. Due to a lot of Dom4's changes (addition of new afflictions, artifacts being trash, less gems, removal of 100% resists, nerfing of luck, etc.) thugs are no longer as prevalent as they are. Elf pony thugs are still amazing since they're stealthy, sacred, glamoured, high defence, and have the magic paths to cloud trapeze and mistform. Banes sadly are no longer as amazing as they once were.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
you use them to grab land after you make your opponent go ai

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Oh yeah and Lemuria can thug pretty drat well too. Just remember to not take too many tips from Desura when it comes to building thugs.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Mirthless posted:

Thugs are almost purely a strategic map play. You use them to landgrab, to manipulate the strategic map around key points, to disrupt reinforcements recruitment and incomes, and to tie up enemy fighting resources with as little of your own as possible. In addition, you can gear thugs concurrently to producing your battle armies, since they rely on the gem economy and fort-commander production entirely, so you don't lose any force production to making them in the stage of the game where they're most useful.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 19, 2015

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
With how much weaker thugs are in Dom4 as compared to 3, I prefer to use them as assassins with blood nations(heart of life/black heart is a great combo) and otherwise mostly ignore them. Killing a few commanders and preventing their forces from taking part in major battles can be game changing. Otherwise the gem investment just isn't worth it unless you've got ponymen or giants.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Mirthless posted:

Thugs were a thing in Dom3, but these days the gems come to much better use casting globals, forging path boosters, fueling battlemagic/rituals, and summons. Sure, fantasy Barbies are fun, but big, painful, whole world/battle effects can do far more hurt without the afflictions or potentially losing all that expensive gear.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

Mirthless posted:

I think TheDemon summed up thugs nicely in Dominions 4.

Not every nation has access to thugs, if you are not a pony nation or can't get bane lords don't bother. (People suggested Sleepers but they are garbage)

How I thug out my bane lords:
a) a shield with a good effect for dealing with being surrounded by poo poo units ->Vine shield > Charcoal shield > The Awe shield (Fire/Earth) > The something sculptata
b) fire/frost brand
optional, but highly recommended) Boots of flying
This costs 12D + ((5F + 5E)/5W )+ 10N gems, so 30-ish gems for a decent thug. Of different types, so if you won an early war and have 2-nations worth of gems, it should be affordable to pump some out.

If you are ponymans, the equipment is similar, but you cast mistform before charging into the enemy ranks.

You use them to take lands from your enemy, which are guarded by PD only, fly around with a couple of thugs around his lands and watch his income plummet. It is also highly demoralizing to lose lands rapidly and might cause some players to go AI, meta-winning the war. Or fly them alongside your armies to secure more lands so you don't have to split your doomstack.

Thugging is not irreplacable. Very effective PD raiding can be done with an air mage casting summon Air Elemental/Living Air, huge FLYING TRAMPLERS. And they're ethereal, so almost unkillable for mundane troops. I'd say there are many other effective ways to raid an enemy's provinces, so don't fret if you don't have thugs. Splitting your army is also fine. There are tons of other ways to accomplish this (Swarm spam/ some skelespammers) so thugs might not always be the cheapest/research efficient way to achieve raiding for your nation.

To get a 'grasp' of what thugging is, start a SP game with only humans and indie provinces. Take helheim/vanheim/other ponyman with like a N9E4 bless, or N9E10, take trash scales. Research alt-3 and const-6. Craft a vine shield and a brand, see how many indie provinces your Van/Ponyman can take before he dies with those equipped and (mistform)(blessing)(hold)(hold)(hold) Attack. I think you should be able to even take on an AI's army with ease with this script and a brand+vine shield, since I doubt the AI mages will randomly cast something to deal with your thugs.

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 19, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
There is no easy (read not trading for boosters/empowerment) way to get Bane Lords without access to Death 3, right?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 19, 2015

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
The ultimate thug is a randomly recruited indie scout that just scoops up empty provinces on his own because your opponents don't read turn messages because there are 30 of them and they are fighting a real war on the other side of the world.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

There is no easy (read not trading for boosters/empowerment) way to get Bane Lords without access to Death 3, right?

Remember you can splurge 45 Death gems to get from Death 2 to Death 3 in a pinch. As a very useful resource which I often check if I want to reach a certain path is:
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/dom4-magic-path-booster-guide-by-telos

I heard people recommending Sleepers, however I felt like they were a waste of gems on my part, especially having thugged them out and them still dying to PD. Bane lords on the other hand are total champs and can reliably clear PD with a brand+shield.
EDIT: In hindsight, I used the sleeper UW, where he has a malus + UW indies are tough as nails, I think I should revisit sleepers
EDIT2: I guess they work as thugs, however I prefer to spend my N gems elsewhere. I always see D gems as my "Bane lord gems"

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 19, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Or a D2 guy can just spend 10 gems on a skull staff and BAM D3!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Neruz posted:

Or a D2 guy can just spend 10 gems on a skull staff and BAM D3!

Bane lords require D4, so that isn't enough.

I just got an army destroyed in a game on Desura. It was sieging a fortress and ordered them to move away, into my territory, the same turn the relief army arrived. From what I think I know, that should have let my army move before the relief army arrived. Either I completely messed up my orders (which is quite possible) or there is something about movement and sieges I don't understand.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Fat Samurai posted:

Bane lords require D4, so that isn't enough.

Oh if you're trying to boost from D2 to D4 then you can also summon a Mound King and give him the skull stick. That is a bit higher up the conj tree though I'll grant.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Neruz posted:

Oh if you're trying to boost from D2 to D4 then you can also summon a Mound King and give him the skull stick. That is a bit higher up the conj tree though I'll grant.

Mound Fiend, I think you mean.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

fool_of_sound posted:

Mound Fiend, I think you mean.

Yes I do.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Neruz posted:

Yeah, that is what I meant by "easily". It seems too much of an investment if you're not going for it already just to play with thugs.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The interesting thing about thugging or strategies that emulate thugging (horror raiding, mage-and-gems raiding, army splits, glamour raiding), is that they are never and in fact cannot (due to cost factors) be designed to fight seriously against armies or against purpose-built defenses. If you have to calculate how your thug will perform in a particular fight, you're probably in an untenable situation and need to rethink your thug use. There are a handful of exceptions, like Mistform N9 ponies against smaller purely mundane armies, but for the most part the thug should stomp every opposition you want to fight (which is 99% PD, honestly) and lose horribly to every opposition you don't. That's why I say the real battle occurs on the strategic map level, not the tactical fight level.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

If I can spam bane lords I can probably also summon longdead horse who are cheap, require no gear, are quite good at raiding and don't feed my enemy items when they get killed.

40 longdead horse can take low to moderate pd without any problems whatsoever and maybe attrition a few guys per province until the other guy deploys something to stop them. Just put one horsie front and center on hold attack with the rest on flanks on attack rear. PD will rush into the one horsie while the side squads rush in and often kill commanders, generating a route.

Raiding with thugs is something I generally do when 1) I have a lot of gems and strong thug chassis available 2) I salvage gear from killing someone else's thugs 3) I need specific resist thugs or counter thugs to kill something scary that the other guy has or 4) I am going for flying or stealthed raiders in particular, which is far harder to pull off with troops in most situations and far far more difficult to stop. I find it hard to justify even things like Skratti thugs most of the time since 10 or so garmhirdings/heatpigs/fearwolves can accomplish the same goal and again, don't make me sad when they get killed and don't feed my enemy items. You can gear skratti with nothing but slaves and pearls if you want to conserve N for fearwolves (which you do usually), but with those same resources I can probably set up a lesser horror sender which in my opinion is a FAR more effective use of resources and can also replicate the raiding functionality by sending horrors and taking the province with a scout. However, if the horror send fails, I lose nothing but the 9 slave investment and possibly a scout.

Experienced players are extremely adept at killing raiders in either thug or troop form with small numbers of mages deployed defensively and will probably do so. Doesn't mean you shouldn't raid, but don't waste resources on them and spend as little as possible to apply effective raiding pressure.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Yeah a big reason why pony thugs are so great is due to the fact they are stealthy.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Yeah a big reason why pony thugs are so great is due to the fact they are stealthy.

Even with pony thugs I usually don't spend a lot to gear them. 2 ponymen in the same square with an appropriate bless can clear anything short of kitfox pd without items most of the time. The recent cav changes make defense tanking with mistform a lot more reliable. Don't even need N9.

Those Fs are precious and probably going into lanterns unless I luck into a good income. E's are probably going into hammers, boosters and earthquake traps.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 19, 2015

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

I've definitely had a mage lose a global they were holding because they got feebleminded. I tested this and everything!
OK well I'm pretty sure getting feebleminded from astral stuff is usually an opposed Astral comparison thing, so keep having a bash at it.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Say, hypothetically, that I'm playing LA Ctis, and the fates have seen fit to give one of my Sauromancers some useful path combination, like F1S1E1D3. He has also been diseased, because I can't have nice things.

If he casts Twiceborn, what happens when he dies?
Does he keep his paths?
Does he keep his items?
Does it work if he dies from the disease, or only if he perishes in battle?
Where does he turn up when it happens? On the battlefield again, in the capital, the same province?
Will he still have the disease, or any other afflictions that it gives him?

That sort of thing.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The_Final_Stand posted:

Say, hypothetically, that I'm playing LA Ctis, and the fates have seen fit to give one of my Sauromancers some useful path combination, like F1S1E1D3. He has also been diseased, because I can't have nice things.

If he casts Twiceborn, what happens when he dies?
Does he keep his paths?
Does he keep his items?
Does it work if he dies from the disease, or only if he perishes in battle?
Where does he turn up when it happens? On the battlefield again, in the capital, the same province?
Will he still have the disease, or any other afflictions that it gives him?

That sort of thing.

Twiceborn works as long as he dies in your dominion from normal hp loss. Drowning etc does not trigger it.

He keeps paths and pops up in the cap. If you are going to twiceborn do it when he is near death. Nothing worse than twiceborning an important mage and then he gets feebleminded by disease before he kicks the bucket since twiceborn does not heal. Keeping disease doesn't matter because once he goes undead it no longer does anything. All equipment and held globals or things like domes drop.

EDIT: and if you are lucky he will come back with +1D. It's like 10% though so don't bank on it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
KO stated that Muuch will get upgraded to MM2. Toads are now slightly less bad.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
What about every mage that MA Agartha has :negative:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Boing posted:

Be happy with statues and great elementals!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Boing posted:

Give a mound king a crown of command, gosh

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Do indies are about their commanders leadership? If I assassinate all the leaders except a wizard or something with 10 leadership, and then attack that province when it has 70 indies but just that one commander, what will happen?

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
if you kill all of the commanders the indies will automatically rout when your army shows up, but you have to make sure you get all of them. a mage with even 1 point of leadership can still keep a hundred militia in the fight

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Samog posted:

if you kill all of the commanders the indies will automatically rout when your army shows up, but you have to make sure you get all of them. a mage with even 1 point of leadership can still keep a hundred militia in the fight

Thanks, that what I was afraid of.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2015-02-21 00:38:48 +0100
Stat and description fixes

2015-02-19 21:59:02 +0100
National pretender cost fixes
Statfixes
Sailing size restrictions works again
Gossamer cloth rounding fixed
Flying raiders needed 10000 patrollers to get caught
Some description fixes
Xibalba dart throwers in towers has dmg value 12 instead of 0

"Flying raiders needed 10000 patrollers to get caught"

So, I suppose it's finally fixed now? He doesn't specify the fix, but I suppose flying raiders will be still harder to catch than ground based raiders, just no 100x times harder.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
When should I ever recruit broadsword or axe over cheap spear infantry? Except against skeles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The Bramble posted:

Thanks, that what I was afraid of.

I'm pretty sure even something like, say, a golemn with zero leadership will keep an infinite number of infantry in the fight. As long as there's a commander on the field.

• Locked thread