Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

0rganDonor posted:

It's no different than how every major trucking outfit treats independent contractors and owner operators, it's been going on for decades.

It is more like fedex trying to say that their ground delivery drivers are independent contractors, which recently got smacked down. A trucking company will say "get this from here to there and we'll pay you X per mile" They largely don't give a poo poo how you actually do it short of breaking the law or the cargo (and don't want to know). Uber on the other hand strictly polices how their drivers perform their work, places requirements on their availability and ability to pass on fares, and will fire ("deactivate") drivers that don't meet those standards or that they simply don't like.

There is a line. It is fuzzy at times but uber is waaaay over it and should get hammered for it. Initial court proceedings in CA look like that might be exactly what will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My sister has a coworker who signed up for Uber. 2-3 times a week he'll pick up a fare after work that is close to his drive home and get $30 (or whatever) for going a few miles out of his way.

That seems like the way to do it, just getting some extra spending cash for 10-20 minutes of work.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

People who rely on UberX / Lyft / Sidecar as a primary source of income are Doing It Wrong.

igv9
Sep 3, 2006
Everything witty I could put here has already been said.

Shifty Pony posted:

There is a line. It is fuzzy at times but uber is waaaay over it and should get hammered for it. Initial court proceedings in CA look like that might be exactly what will happen.

It seems to me that Uber has a much better argument for the drivers being independent contractors though. FedEx provided all work related equipment to their drivers where Uber you provide your own car and phone. Also FedEx you had to be at the truck pickup at a specific time and get your deliveries done right then. Uber don't you have the flexibility to set your own hours? I thought that was most of the point of surge pricing, to pay drivers more so they would be more willing to work that period.

So if I understand how Uber works (this could be a faulty assumption) then their drivers satisfy most of the IRS guidelines to be contractors since they are using their own equipment and working self defined hours, instead of Uber set hours.

Not saying any of this makes what Uber is doing right or moral, but it looks at first glance to at least be legal.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Deeters posted:

Today at work I overheard someone say "Remember, 4 wheel drive doesn't help you stop" :unsmith:

I am not a master of 4 wheel drive, but isn't this true? Isn't the point of 4WD to help you stay in control?

Willing to be proven completely wrong, but that was how I thought 4wd was as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I am not a master of 4 wheel drive, but isn't this true? Isn't the point of 4WD to help you stay in control?

Willing to be proven completely wrong, but that was how I thought 4wd was as well.

Hint: All cars have four wheel brakes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

notwithoutmyanus posted:

4WD is just having acceleration torque applied to all 4 wheels. It doesn't have anything to do with stopping.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

4WD is just having acceleration torque applied to all 4 wheels. It doesn't have anything to do with stopping.

But what if you jam it into reverse and mash the throttle? What then? :colbert:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

Well I guess if your tires aren't poo poo that'll work.

The worst part is I tried specifying "acceleration" so nobody would say exactly what you said :smith:

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

It is more like fedex trying to say that their ground delivery drivers are independent contractors, which recently got smacked down. A trucking company will say "get this from here to there and we'll pay you X per mile" They largely don't give a poo poo how you actually do it short of breaking the law or the cargo (and don't want to know). Uber on the other hand strictly polices how their drivers perform their work, places requirements on their availability and ability to pass on fares, and will fire ("deactivate") drivers that don't meet those standards or that they simply don't like.

That's not the comparison, although we are given preferred routes and fuel stops, as an IC I can disregard this because I pay for the fuel, not the company.

The comparison I am making is that as an IC the company is under no obligation to offer me health insurance, workers comp insurance, sick days, 401k or SS. I accept more liability and risk than an employee driver does, with the same responsibilities. I was saying companies like Landstar and Bruce Oakley are 100% owner operators and independent contractors so none of their drivers are offered any benefits typically offered to employees by employers. It's exactly what Uber is doing.

Have some caselaw; http://mn.gov/workcomp/2011/Wheeler-10-05-11.html

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

quote:

Police and witnesses said the driver, a 74-year-old woman, had just had her white Jeep Grand Cherokee washed at Arrow Car Wash on Lancaster Avenue around 9 a.m. when the car sped into a guardrail, over the embankment, and onto the cars at Piazza Acura of Ardmore.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

I'm sure you're trolling, but that is literally the worst thing to do lol. Your brakes apply smooth, consistent force. Your engine provides chunky uneven torque.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

On my '92 Cherokee Sport, it will quickly kill the engine and you have very hard brakes and difficult steering. I imagine that if I was able to keep it running by mashing the gas, it would detonate my transfer case or other parts in the driveline. Or, with my original motor-mounts, the engine will leap from the engine bay shouting "FREEDOM AT LAST!!".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

It is more like fedex trying to say that their ground delivery drivers are independent contractors, which recently got smacked down. A trucking company will say "get this from here to there and we'll pay you X per mile" They largely don't give a poo poo how you actually do it short of breaking the law or the cargo (and don't want to know).

At my job a few years ago, I was coming home from work one day to watch a Purolator truck run a four way stop and centre-punch a Fed-Ex truck going low highway speeds on a sleepy B-road. It was like a Michael Bay movie and suddenly I understand why my packages are sometimes late.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Though I am curious what happens if one actually were to put a car in reverse at any kind of speed.

There was a bad 80's action movie that did this once and the drivetrain basically blew itself to bits in a hail of sparks, but I always figured most of the fanfare was hollywood special effects.

I assume the reality is the transmission spews chunks and not much else.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xzzy posted:

Though I am curious what happens if one actually were to put a car in reverse at any kind of speed.

There was a bad 80's action movie that did this once and the drivetrain basically blew itself to bits in a hail of sparks, but I always figured most of the fanfare was hollywood special effects.

I feel like I remember Mythbusters testing this at some point, and pretty much nothing happened.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

I bet you'd just skid on the tires, and depending on some other circumstances it will probably harm the car.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Protocol7 posted:

I bet you'd just skid on the tires, and depending on some other circumstances it will probably harm the car.

Typically you'll stall the vehicle, chirp the tires, greviously harm the transmission, and in some cases lose control. Don't ask how I know this, only that my ex drove like crazy

insta
Jan 28, 2009

PT6A posted:

I feel like I remember Mythbusters testing this at some point, and pretty much nothing happened.

They used a Crown Vic. I know a 2003 Ford ZX2 will happily go into reverse at 40 miles an hour.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I had a buddy who had a '53 chev with AT. He delighted in playing on icy parking lots and would poke it into reverse (on ice, and at very low speed, probably 5 mph or less) and the car would stop and pivot 180 degrees around the front wheels.

I'd not care to replicate the feat with my only crappy car, but if anyone here feels like experimenting...

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

My buddy accidentally did this on a late 90s Ford Exploder and every gauge/light on the dash spiked/blinked, all power to the motor was cut, and he coasted to a stop as if in neutral. Car was unresponsive for 5 minutes then let him start up and drive away. I imagine a car not controlled by a computer would be a bit messier.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I imagine a jerk, loud noise, and all the teeth being stripped off the reverse idler.

And awd does give a slight benefit under braking and cornering because the drivetrain is trying to keep all four wheels turning the same speed. So under braking it can be a little harder to lock up individual wheels, and while cornering you can use the system to help get you though. Very very small differences though, and to really benefit while cornering you kind of need to be in a big drift. Still pretty safe to say it doesn't help you turn or stop like it does going forward.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

jamal posted:

And awd does give a slight benefit under braking and cornering because the drivetrain is trying to keep all four wheels turning the same speed. So under braking it can be a little harder to lock up individual wheels, and while cornering you can use the system to help get you though. Very very small differences though, and to really benefit while cornering you kind of need to be in a big drift. Still pretty safe to say it doesn't help you turn or stop like it does going forward.

AWD by itself doesn't do poo poo to help keep control under braking. Limited slip differentials on both axles will help you get going, but that's not going to help you keep control by itself, and can actually hinder you if they are too grabby. Electronic stability systems (including plain ABS) are what you are thinking of, and do this trick for two wheel drive vehicles as well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

If it's RWD, you can light the rear end up if you put the effort in. FWD or AWD I think you'd gently caress the drivetrain.

If you watch the start of Mad Max 2, they stop the Interceptor like this for effect.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

xzzy posted:

When I worked at a Chevy dealership back as a teen, they told me stories about the original Chevy powerglide transmissions (Circa early 1950's). You could slam them into reverse from highway speeds. You'd light the tires up, burn rubber, etc. Transmission could also apparently take a lot of said downshifts before completely dying. They found this out as a customer kept coming back with blown transmissions. He was one of the first of his "buddies" with an automatic, so was showing them how you could shift to reverse while going forward. Did it a lot. Anecdotal story, but I trust the source, so, yeah, some transmissions could do it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I hope she got her car washed because she was hoping to get a good trade value towards a new Acura.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

xzzy posted:

I was driving a ~2002 ish Jeep Grand Cherokee rental, and a drunk acquaintance in the seat next to me shifted the car from drive into reverse while we were traveling at freeway speeds, and the engine shut off and the transmission went into neutral. No drama whatsoever, though I nearly stopped right there and kicked him out on the side of the freeway.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My local subreddit

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

revmoo posted:

My local subreddit

Some helpful guides on getting the most out of reddit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWlSPxhHero

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I accidentally shifted into reverse in an early-90s Mazda 626. There was a loud ratcheting sound and i jammed the brakes. When I skidded below 20, the transmission engaged and there was loud clunking and I stopped.

I had an 87 astro that was on its way out and I shifted that into reverse at about 50. It also made a ratcheting noise and continued on like in neutral. I put it back into gear and everything was fine.

My friend tried it on his GMC Safari (same van, same year). He, however, went past "R" into "P." There was the ratcheting noise, then a pop, then silence. From that point on, he had two neutrals.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Stuck in some bumper-to-bumper on my way home tonight, ended up behind a guy in a Nissan who kept letting a massive gap open up in front of him (easily 10-15 carlengths) before he'd slowly crawl forward, stopping about 2-3 carlengths behind the stopped traffic before repeating the process again. After witnessing this three times I passed him in a gap in the right lane and whatever was going on abruptly ended and he started aggressively tailgating me while laying on the horn and flashing his highbeams.

He calmed down after five minutes of this and resumed his previous stop - wait - crawl behavior, got passed again and started the tailgating while blowing the horn and flashing highbeams act with the next person to go around him.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Guy loses control on ice, crosses median and hits woman head on. She isn't wearing a seatbelt so naturally it kills her and her unborn child.

These are the people we no longer share the road with.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Man flies plane into building. Seatbelts? Don't help, and he did it on purpose.

These are the people we no longer share the skies with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hmm I think you're on to something. Airplane airbags!

When the plane detects an imminent collision with something, a mile long tube of air launches in front of the plane allowing it to gracefully slow down.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Man flies plane into building. Seatbelts? Don't help, and he did it on purpose.

These are the people we no longer share the skies with.

:drat:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

xzzy posted:

Hmm I think you're on to something. Airplane airbags!

When the plane detects an imminent collision with something, a mile long tube of air launches in front of the plane allowing it to gracefully slow down.

Airframe parachutes

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

From that point on, he had two neutrals.

For some reason this made me imagine Pippin and Merry from Lord of the Rings teaching Aragorn how to drive it.

"What about second neutral?" "I don't think he knows about second neutral."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

LloydDobler posted:

For some reason this made me imagine Pippin and Merry from Lord of the Rings teaching Aragorn how to drive it.

"What about second neutral?" "I don't think he knows about second neutral."

Requesting the mechanical failures thread title change. "Mechanical Failures: I don't think he knows about second neutral."

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

go3 posted:

Airframe parachutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX-QUVen9Ng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
This morning's drive scare brought to you by the rear end in a top hat in an Altima tailgating you on snow and ice packed roads at 5 in the morning.

Because if the guy in front of you can't see your headlights in poor driving conditions, traffic will go faster.

But in funny events, an old lady in a Subaru drove into the bus station's bus only area and got honk-shamed by 3 buses.