Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

WE B Bourgeois posted:

Where's the salary Jeff

I dunno I put in 70k as the minimum salary so you might want to give them a call (tidy up your c.v first tho bucko) if you are actually interested.

they'd prob pay for your bus too and a maccas voucher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

scintillating conversation

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

WE B Bourgeois posted:

☑️  likes big government
☑️  wishes it was the 1970s
☑️  what's wrong with the kids these days
☑️  racist

sounds like it's NZ First, Jeff

why the gently caress am i racist now??

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jeff Sichoe posted:

I assure you that most of rural NZ is SCREAMING for workers. why are there so many foreign workers doing jobs you or I could do? because apparently mr morris down at the old farm can't actually find someone in NZ who want's 80k and a share of the farm...

Haha what? Since when?

quote:

how did one of those lucky few get to where they are?

prob took a few unpaid nights down at the track rubbing elbows and showing a little passion aye man

No, it's because they happened to hang out with/be related to/know a guy who was already in the scene. Which is how the majority of dream jobs happen, how hard you work has little or nothing to do compared to who you know.

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
Every single person in here is wrong because mother loving *anecdotal nonsense*

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Jeff Sichoe posted:

why the gently caress am i racist now??

Your rap sheet says you got banned for being a racist rear end in a top hat

then you got banned again for this classy comment

quote:

if I were king of the world i'd send all people who were 'born with a gender they don't align with' to a factory where I process their bodies into a fine paste then I would dump this 'human being-paste' into the deep ocean

you sure seem like a nice guy

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 15, 2016

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Haha what? Since when?

since people like you spent more time complaining about the status quo than doing something about it

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/dairy/76483007/Filipinos-deported-but-foreign-labour-still-needed-on-dairy-farms

It said Immigration New Zealand (INZ) had received 639 work visa applications from Filipino dairy workers between September last year and February 1.

Of those, 397 applications had been approved, 87 declined and 25 withdrawn. The majority of the Filipino dairy workers are in four regions - Canterbury, Southland, Waikato and Otago.

lol this article is loving perfect.

"Our company has withdrawn from bringing them in. They are good workers, but you can get an Indonesian who is also a good worker," Fegan said.

The advantage Filipinos had was they had a better command of English and they more smoothly fitted in to New Zealand culture.

Hoggard said work was being done to bring New Zealanders into the industry "but we've only just started and we're not there yet".

Fegan said there was a perception that the work was too hard and not well enough paid.

"There's no point in going down to the local office of WINZ to find the right people. They need to be plucked out of high school and show the right attitude and motivation."

quote:

No, it's because they happened to hang out with/be related to/know a guy who was already in the scene. Which is how the majority of dream jobs happen, how hard you work has little or nothing to do compared to who you know.

oh no screwed from birth and you didn't even know it!

that statement is loving BULLSHIT by the way.

If you work hard,and produce results, the people you work hard for will notice, and they will reward you.

if you work hard and are essentially just smacking your head against the wall, but not producing results, you will not be rewarded

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

Dragonstoned posted:

Your rap sheet says you got banned for being a racist rear end in a top hat

it's a comedy forum you idiot what does that have to do with anything?

you own every word you ever typed huh?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jeff Sichoe posted:

half of the sharemilkers down south are now from the Philippines... those dudes loving love it here. they got the dog, the quad, 4 beds and a mother loving missus.
I think you mean half the workers employed by sharemilkers.

Jeff Sichoe posted:

No my solution to disenfranchised middle class young couples is to get the gently caress out of auckland

my advice to low wage earners is to stay in auckland and earn megabucks (comparatively to low skilled jobs elsewhere) while you can.

I agree completely that auckland is hosed. So, do YOU have an answer that people can actually implement reasonably quickly? or like most would you recommend people just sit it out and wait for ... someone else to come along and fix it all up?
I'm glad we can agree your solution is narrow and worthless because it's what's already occurring.
Low wage earners might be earning well on paper ("comparatively") but they actually aren't because the cost of living is so high due to house prices.

Yes, my answer is to impose restrictions on foreign home ownership, implement a capital gains tax to reduce the impetus to land bank, and legislate banks into lowering the deposit requirements for first home buyers as well as increasing the range of homes they will finance.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

Yes, my answer is to impose restrictions on foreign home ownership, implement a capital gains tax to reduce the impetus to land bank, and legislate banks into lowering the deposit requirements for first home buyers as well as increasing the range of homes they will finance.

that all sounds very reasonable!

alright the gf is sick of my shitposting and wants to play some xbone so i'll pick this one up when i'm back on the clock

PEACE NZ

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Jeff Sichoe posted:

it's a comedy forum you idiot what does that have to do with anything?

you own every word you ever typed huh?

"Just because I have a history of lovely behavior doesn't make me a lovely person waaaah"

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
this just in, having a bad sense of humour makes you a bad person

thanks guy!

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Jeff Sichoe posted:

this just in, having a bad sense of humour makes you a bad person

thanks guy!

If your jokes are racist and homophobic then yes

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jeff Sichoe posted:

oh no screwed from birth and you didn't even know it!

that statement is loving BULLSHIT by the way.

If you work hard,and produce results, the people you work hard for will notice, and they will reward you.

if you work hard and are essentially just smacking your head against the wall, but not producing results, you will not be rewarded

Forget everything else, this right here is basically all anyone needs to know about you. You're the classic white person who had it easy and now thinks things just fall neatly into place for everyone else who does a good job, too.

That isn't how it works. People don't get what they deserve, good workers don't 'get noticed', management does not typically give any fucks about employees. All of that is utter nonsense. If you work hard the people you work for will notice...and give you more work load because you're a good source of revenue. As I said before: productive technicians don't get promoted because they're more profitable on the tools, this is a well established fact in the motor industry and why people flock away from actually fixing cars to places like VTNZ etc because there's more opportunity for upward progress. Service managers, service advisors etc get hired from middle management positions in other industries, never from the lower rung of a dealership.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Forget everything else, this right here is basically all anyone needs to know about you. You're the classic white person who had it easy and now thinks things just fall neatly into place for everyone else who does a good job, too.

That isn't how it works. People don't get what they deserve, good workers don't 'get noticed', management does not typically give any fucks about employees. All of that is utter nonsense. If you work hard the people you work for will notice...and give you more work load because you're a good source of revenue. As I said before: productive technicians don't get promoted because they're more profitable on the tools, this is a well established fact in the motor industry and why people flock away from actually fixing cars to places like VTNZ etc because there's more opportunity for upward progress. Service managers, service advisors etc get hired from middle management positions in other industries, never from the lower rung of a dealership.

who the gently caress are you to know anything about me?

I didn't have it easy. I have had to work for what i've got, and i'm proud of it.
i'm sorry things haven't worked out for you as you had hoped, but that's not my loving fault.

-edit- are you in auckland or elsewhere?

-edit2- I don't have PM but e-mail me at <username>@gmail.com if you want to look at some helpdesk fundamentals and maybe think about changing career?

Sorryformybadjokes fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 15, 2016

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

Dragonstoned posted:

If your jokes are racist and homophobic then yes

I channel cranky steve when I post in GBS

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Auckland will keep being a fucky mess as long as gullible yo-pros (this thread) keep drinking the Cult of Auckland Kool-Aid that the only way to get ahead in their careers is to live in a city they can't afford to live in.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

This is what income distribution in New Zealand looks like:

So shut the gently caress up about all those 80k jobs. They all have highly competitive entry, require servicing a large debt load before qualification or have other barriers to entry. As we've already been through, those who can afford to move out of Auckland often do, others rent, the ones at the bottom end deal with it by moving into lovely substandard housing because we aren't willing to spend the token effort to level the playing field for them.

Why don't we just why don't we just why don't we just...

In real life there are almost always reasons why not and whenever you get that impulse you need to loving well engage your grey matter, open your whatu and have a bit of empathy for your fellow man, none of which you have done today.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

Jaguars! posted:

This is what income distribution in New Zealand looks like:

look man I don't know why you people have started laying the worlds ills at my feet but that graph would look similar in any first world country.

quote:

So shut the gently caress up about all those 80k jobs. They all have highly competitive entry, require servicing a large debt load before qualification or have other barriers to entry. As we've already been through, those who can afford to move out of Auckland often do, others rent, the ones at the bottom end deal with it by moving into lovely substandard housing because we aren't willing to spend the token effort to level the playing field for them.

I have, with honestly zero modicum of effort, produced for you a selection of skilled jobs in the regional centres which are not auckland which pay a competitive salary and in the areas they are located would allow a person to own their own home and provide for a nuclear family.

Are saying to me that the single most pressing problem facing new zealand currently is housing unskilled underpaid workers in the biggest most expensive city we have.... ?

any rational person would suggest they simply relocate to a more prosperous region within nz...

quote:

Why don't we just why don't we just why don't we just...

In real life there are almost always reasons why not and whenever you get that impulse you need to loving well engage your grey matter, open your whatu and have a bit of empathy for your fellow man, none of which you have done today.

bullshit excuse and you know it bro. i'm not the enemy here, i'm just saying for the reasonably smart people of nz (ie the people reading this loving thread) there are options outside of auckland.

yeah sure, i'm the stuff loving comments
i'm the racist white dude who hates women

actually i'm just a normal guy who works hard and talks a bit of poo poo - but what i'm saying - move to where the resources are - is a simple loving underlying fact of human existence, and rejection of that shows the willing from the unwilling...

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jeff out of interest do you think that Auckland doesn't need anyone who does a low paying job? Or just that those people don't deserve to own a house?

e: by "low paying" of course I mean any job that can't afford a house in Auckland, i.e. just about all of them.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 15, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tell me how I haven't been working hard, and how easy my job is.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Tell me how I haven't been working hard, and how easy my job is.

Look, if he bootstrapped then you can too.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

Look, if he bootstrapped then you can too.

It's below 80K, so it must be easy as, bro.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Jeff Sichoe posted:

any rational person would suggest they simply relocate to a more prosperous region within nz...
Ah yes all those prosperous regions in NZ like: Auckland fuelled by the housing bubble.

Small town NZ and the regions are dying. Just look at the banks closing branches leaving large geographic areas with no branch. There are few opportunities out there outside of the main centres.

To fix it will take political leadership and not just generic mumbling about bootstraps.

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
Jeff has really hit the nail on the head only thing he left out was making sure you don't buy sky tv after making the move to your lucrative new job in Waipukurau.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Are saying to me that the single most pressing problem facing new zealand currently is housing unskilled underpaid workers in the biggest most expensive city we have.... ?

Who is going to do all the unskilled, underpaid work that Auckland needs to function as a city if everyone just moves to a 'more prosperous region', idiot?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
It's totally dishonest to blame foreigners for the lack of jobs and housing. It takes fewer and fewer people each year to do the same amount of work — there needs to be a fundamental change in how (un)employment is handled.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I was going to make fun of Jeff for being the pure undilluted essence of Baby Boomer but I googled and apparently he's 32 so ???

Also he really likes Halo, Airsoft, and calling people 'human being'.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Now be fair, he wasn't blaming foreigners for the lack of jobs. He was blaming New Zealanders for not wanting to move into rural provinces in pursuit of a manual labour job with no prospects.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Someone mention XBONE?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I bet he is pwning noobs right now.

SICHOOOOOOOE! :froggonk:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

What a little bit of chitter chatter in this thread! Anyway I hope all of those who clean my toilets and empty my bins at work are loving grateful for their $15 an hour or whatever the minimum wage is and if they complain that it isn't enough to cover the cost of food rent and commute then they should just work harder and be even more grateful or just move somewhere else where all the good jobs are like Hawkes bay where you can scrub toilets and empty out the bin next to my desk in my office for 15 bucks an hour or whatever the minimum wage is and if you don't like it well gently caress off you bludger things just don't happen for free around here because gently caress the compassionate modern inclusive relatively peaceful society the parents of the baby boomers tried to build for us all then generation whine whine whine got all q q q about having no assets because the interest rates are so low hey guess what I bought a frozen chicken for $4 today! Four bucks! What an age we live in, didn't even have to take its head off with an axe or pluck it myself! Bet that four dollar chicken had a good life yum

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Ghostlight posted:

Now be fair, he wasn't blaming foreigners for the lack of jobs. He was blaming New Zealanders for not wanting to move into rural provinces in pursuit of a manual labour job with no prospects.

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Review immigration policies. Immigration has been great for New Zealand. We are a harmonious, diverse and inclusive society. But Auckland's housing, roads, public transport and schools are struggling to cope. Let's have an honest and sensible debate about immigration using facts rather than prejudice to see if we should push the pause button.

but I'm speaking in general. Like that cowardly bullshit from Labour/Greens about ~*foreign*~ speculators

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I was going to make fun of Jeff for being the pure undilluted essence of Baby Boomer but I googled and apparently he's 32 so ???

Also he really likes Halo, Airsoft, and calling people 'human being'.

don't do this poo poo

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

WE B Bourgeois posted:

don't do this poo poo
Noted. Sorry.

In other news, I should just move out to the country where they're offering $80,000 year jobs and also kittens grow on trees. It's not like I'm from a rural town in the South Island where there's no work and everybody is constantly smoking P so they don't have to deal with the crushing misery of it all. It's not the problem is bigger than Auckland or anything.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Coming from the Hawkes Bay, where the only only industry is in pulling grape wires and turning tricks outside the Hastings Cinema, I have to say that I don't regret moving from there.

Also, my employer doesn't have any branches outside of Auckland. Plenty overseas, though.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 15, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I want to move to ahipara and never ever leave and I would be happy with that life but I also need to make a living somehow so there goes that idea!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WE B Bourgeois posted:

but I'm speaking in general. Like that cowardly bullshit from Labour/Greens about ~*foreign*~ speculators
They were just listening to the media telling them to ~*move to the centre*~ in order to get their votes back up.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

WarpedNaba posted:

Coming from the Hawkes Bay, where the only only industry is in pulling grape wires and turning tricks outside the Hastings Cinema

You're missing out on the booming methamphetamine market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It's not booming, when was the last time you saw a lab go skyward?

• Locked thread