Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Though the upside of that is that the ratkin are going to do the exact same thing, but better, in response. And then we get Ratman General Patton leading a horde of screaming man-rats through the tunnels, gunning down Spirals and Nosferatu alike with old soviet machineguns, flamethrowers, and homemade grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

While the Bone Gnawers sit on lawnchairs and cackle into their beers.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Loomer posted:

Though the upside of that is that the ratkin are going to do the exact same thing, but better, in response. And then we get Ratman General Patton leading a horde of screaming man-rats through the tunnels, gunning down Spirals and Nosferatu alike with old soviet machineguns, flamethrowers, and homemade grenades.

And then of course nine seconds after that they take to the streets and start killing all the humans, because that is literally the entire point of their existence and they are insane. And that's setting over.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Crotch posted:

I was living in the bush when Avellone left Obsidian; do you have a link to an interview where he said that?
I'm pretty sure it was at the Codex, I only read a transcript because that place is basically a Chan at this point and I refuse to go there.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Boogaleeboo posted:

And then of course nine seconds after that they take to the streets and start killing all the humans, because that is literally the entire point of their existence and they are insane. And that's setting over.

No, that's when the setting becomes Post-Ratpocalypse.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Loomer posted:

No, that's when the setting becomes Post-Ratpocalypse.

Tell me more.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion morning update: 180k. There will be five stories in the fiction anthology, not three.
Stretch goal reminder:
190k: 10 ready-made characters in a separate PDF.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Picture The Stand, only the Trashcan Man is a surviving and wyrm-eaten Ratkin (and so is the Ratman), Flagg is the avatar of a Maeljin Incarna with an army of Dancers, the survivors are Garou, kinfolk, and imbued, and there's a big dose of I Am Legend in the cities where vampires (mostly Nosferatu, Gangrel, and Ventrue survivors) wage war over the terrified remnant populations of disease survivors (largely Ghouls, Garou and Ratkin kinfolk, and a handful of lucky mortals) with the Ratkin and shambling packs of decaying Ratkin abominations scream their insane genocidal fury from the rooftops, hurling molotovs and improvised explosives at anything that strikes their ire while struggling to find the courage to just loving die.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

But enough about Trump's presidency...

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

But enough about Trump's presidency...

So Trump is a CEO of some Pentex related company?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kavak posted:

While the Bone Gnawers sit on lawnchairs and cackle into their beers.
If they keep the Background limitations on tribes, Bone Gnawers with infectious bites are basically weaponized poverty. Bite a dude, his Resources are magically 0 forever.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
How did the bite thing work in whatever the LARP rules were? Because if its not like a 1 in 20 chance of working or something, it sounds like it would be the sabbat shovelhead problem, only now with all the shenanigans smart players can get up to with umbral travel and various rites and gifts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Desiden posted:

How did the bite thing work in whatever the LARP rules were? Because if its not like a 1 in 20 chance of working or something, it sounds like it would be the sabbat shovelhead problem, only now with all the shenanigans smart players can get up to with umbral travel and various rites and gifts.

It's basically only a guaranteed chance if they're kinfolk or a PC. But the black spirals have literal rape farms so the point still stands.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Oy vey. The thread overage OPP on black fury perspectives on transwoman is ugly. It even has the usual 'mah traditions!' poo poo crop up. For a tribe that reveres Ancient Greek myth, which prominently featured more than a little bit of gender flexibility and diversity. I swear to god this hobby is full of loving morons.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Which is especially telling since the Scion 2e entry on Amazons is "If someone identifies as a woman then they're more than happy to have her."

They're probably apoplectic about that.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Which is especially telling since the Scion 2e entry on Amazons is "If someone identifies as a woman then they're more than happy to have her."

But what's more horrifying than having your world view questioned?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That hasn't caused much of a stir there yet, but we'll see.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Where is this thing that we are discussing?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

quote:

The modern World, though, is quite different from Ancient Greece. More and more, the works of man impinge upon her sacred wilderness—more and more, she must travel to distant lands to hunt. So too has the World given her tenfold and more women to watch over. Any who claim womanhood are hers to defend, and Artemis is no slouch. Her hand can be seen at work in a thousand struggles for liberation—more than any other goddess of the Theoi, she is apt to throw herself into the fray.

If it's good enough for Artemis, it should be good enough for the Furies.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Daeren posted:

If it's good enough for Artemis, it should be good enough for the Furies.

The "they're" in this case referred to the opp forums. I'm glad to see inclusion in scion. I mean Loki alone should justify trans characters in a divine world.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loki, side note, was noted as being genderfluid. Loki don't give a poo poo.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mors Rattus posted:

Loki, side note, was noted as being genderfluid. Loki don't give a poo poo.

I remember a dev comment in the What We Know page saying the Loki is happy that social gender pronouns have finally caught up. Loki currently prefers 'they'.

Neall posted:

Loki would be fine with it, though; they're happy gender studies have caught up with terms to accurately describe them.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Desiden posted:

The text isn't fully written but as-is anyone who gets Bitten cannot do the Bite themselves. Also, its not a percentage chance but a punt-in-the-rear end-to-destiny aka ST fiat.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It does raise the question of 'how the hell does one survive a werewolf bite' if the werewolf was being aggressive, though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mors Rattus posted:

It does raise the question of 'how the hell does one survive a werewolf bite' if the werewolf was being aggressive, though.

Werewolf level healing kicks in?

Also Why is Swedish Dracula in charge of anything?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Werewolf level healing kicks in?

Also Why is Swedish Dracula in charge of anything?

I imagine it's a lot like when you have one guy in your office who used to program websites in college, and he is really proud of those sites he used to make and talks about them all the time, and now that you guys have a new server cluster he is for some reason in charge of it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Loomer posted:

Picture The Stand, only the Trashcan Man is a surviving and wyrm-eaten Ratkin (and so is the Ratman), Flagg is the avatar of a Maeljin Incarna with an army of Dancers, the survivors are Garou, kinfolk, and imbued, and there's a big dose of I Am Legend in the cities where vampires (mostly Nosferatu, Gangrel, and Ventrue survivors) wage war over the terrified remnant populations of disease survivors (largely Ghouls, Garou and Ratkin kinfolk, and a handful of lucky mortals) with the Ratkin and shambling packs of decaying Ratkin abominations scream their insane genocidal fury from the rooftops, hurling molotovs and improvised explosives at anything that strikes their ire while struggling to find the courage to just loving die.
They should hire you as a writer and PR man because you make this poo poo sound really fun.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Why do Jiangshi have Animalism instead of Vigor? Vigor even lets you make Mad Ups super-leaps and that's totally a hopping corpse thing.

I am perplexed.

EDIT:

A question with a bit more weight and less me being disappointed you can't play as Darkstalkers' Hsien-Ko:

Can Vampires do anything... constructive, really? One of the things that stuck with me when reading the book was that everything you do, ultimately, hurts people. Feeding from mortals harms them, ghouling them harms them, creating more Kindred harms them....

Crasical fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 30, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is time for Dracula to wrestle.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Crasical posted:

A question with a bit more weight and less me being disappointed you can't play as Darkstalkers' Hsien-Ko:

Can Vampires do anything... constructive, really? One of the things that stuck with me when reading the book was that everything you do, ultimately, hurts people. Feeding from mortals harms them, ghouling them harms them, creating more Kindred harms them....

That's more or less sort of the theme of vampires outside of oWoD dumbfuckery: they're parasites. At best they can occasionally provide some mutually beneficial symbiosis, and they can sometimes use their shittiness to not lovely ends (like ghouling someone who'd die without it a'la Bloodlines) but, when all is said and done, they are leeches.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I think technically Vampires would be considered predators rather than parasites. You'd call a vampire's victim 'Prey' rather than a 'Host', and feeding benefits the stronger organism (Predator/Prey, rather than Host/Parasite, which benefits the WEAKER organism).

The fact that vampires feed off living hosts rather than killing their food I'd probably attribute to (most) vampires being intelligent predators, they're fully capable of killing humans they feed on, they mostly don't as an active choice.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wrestling is over!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5g081XyVjg

Highlights:
Bishop Birch takes on the War Pig, but is overwhelmed by the warlord's raw power. However, Count loving Dracula respects his performance and comes out to offer the guy a title shot at the upcoming PPV.
Carl proves that he is, once again, an unstoppable force in a triple threat, taking the victory by defeating Aurelius and Recce.
Fellow vampiric hobos Billy Reed and Burn Barrel Matty attempt to bring down the tag team of Money and Power. Weldon Fontaine, Nosferatu blueblood, and Josiah Stone, Egypt-obsessed wealthy werewolf, refuse to put up with this and force the penniless vampires to grovel at their feet.
The Unholy has a drawn-out brawl with the Carthian Colonel Celia Alvarez. Once she wins, Mother Damnable comes out and declares her intention to take back the women's championship.
Count loving Dracula breaks the back of Dean Rayner, surprising no one.
The Nemean has a rematch against Varney, stinging from his earlier failure to demonstrate his power. While Varney survives a massive chokeslam, he cannot withstand both that [i[and[/i] the Tombstone Piledriver, and is defeated despite putting up a great fight.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Crasical posted:

I think technically Vampires would be considered predators rather than parasites. You'd call a vampire's victim 'Prey' rather than a 'Host', and feeding benefits the stronger organism (Predator/Prey, rather than Host/Parasite, which benefits the WEAKER organism).

The fact that vampires feed off living hosts rather than killing their food I'd probably attribute to (most) vampires being intelligent predators, they're fully capable of killing humans they feed on, they mostly don't as an active choice.

It's World of Darkness, every human being is potentially an Awakened Mage. Humanity is the stronger organism. :v:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Oh come on, using 'Collectively, all of humanity is stronger!' as the measuring stick is cheating.

One NPC Vampire vs. One NPC Mortal, I know who my money is on.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The rhetoric around maturity coming from Swedish Dracula disappoints me. I don't actually disagree that maturity sometimes means looking at and examining some very dark poo poo - but it also means having a sense of perspective about it, which is what seems to be lacking so far in favour of 'maturity means wallowing in it'. Lovingly describing 'full rear end-rape stiffness' doesn't confer the status of maturity on a work, nor necessarily immaturity (though it skews far closer to that in almost every possible incarnation.) Maturity is asking serious questions about morality and how we define it. Immaturity is screaming 'gently caress yeah for the evil' as the sole extent of those questions. It can be fun sometimes, but that doesn't confer on it maturity. Nor is there necessarily anything wrong with a gross, immature game - but when you start to pretend that immaturity is maturity, you lose sight of the ability of games and fiction to actually function as methods and models for moral exploration, instruction, and consideration. Worse, you tell people who might have difficulty with those questions (and the reality is that a lot of people like that inhabit the tabletop hobby, as well as fantasy/sci-fi crowds generally) something deeply misleading.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Kurieg posted:

Right, and the push towards a more european style of LARP where you pick up a character for a game and don't get attached vs one where you take your character with you. That said it seems at odds with their desire for a persistent world.

You play different characters in a persistent world that Drapeula dominates with an iron whim.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I did not expect Scion 2e to get nearly 200k in a week. I did not realize it was quite this popular.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

You play different characters in a persistent world that Drapeula dominates with an iron rear end-Rape Stiffness whim.

FTFY

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

ProfessorCirno posted:

That's more or less sort of the theme of vampires outside of oWoD dumbfuckery: they're parasites. At best they can occasionally provide some mutually beneficial symbiosis, and they can sometimes use their shittiness to not lovely ends (like ghouling someone who'd die without it a'la Bloodlines) but, when all is said and done, they are leeches.

This right here. Even in oWoD, part of the curse of Caine was that he would see everything he touched turn to ash. The immortality bit is ultimately a curse as well, as they get to watch everything they've ever created ultimately crumble into nothingness over sufficient time. The fire and the sunlight are pretty bad, as well as the bloodthirst, but I think in the Book of Nod it was Uriel that granted Caine eternal existence. It was probably the worst curse, especially since it was last.

nWoD is no exception, really, save that the Clans each have their own special brand of suck in store over their existences, especially per the 2E Clan Banes.

The Daeva are doomed to chase intimacy and affection, but never get it, in an endless cycle of attachment, dependence, and ultimate loss.

The Gangrel get to watch as their instincts overpower their minds and sabotage themselves in pursuit of anything more rational than the Beast's demands.

The Mekhet have to constantly stay on guard for someone trying to figure out their particular Bane Kryptonite, leading to a potential eternity of cold, calculating espionage.

The Nosferatu have to deal with inevitably alienating any mortal contacts they have, dealing with never-ending rejection until they finally forget what it was ever like to be human.

Finally, the Ventrue are so good at stratifying themselves above humans, that they have to take care not to let their ridiculous pride blind them to their all-consuming degeneration.

Ultimately though, to answer the question if vampires can create really depends on what that creation is. It's stupidly easy for most vampires to amass a huge bank account, a cult full of blood dolls, weird artifacts of blood sorcery, and the like. But they always do so via hurting people. The more you use your powers to build something, the more loving human blood you need to chug out of someone's veins. My pro-Requiem bias is obvious, but it's best illustrated IMO in the Kindred and non-Kindred alike who consume Vitae. No matter how they do it, it's always one unit of Vitae for one Lethal damage. The one commonality is always hurting people.

At best, vampires are using the harm they do to people in order to directly improve their own lot, even if it's just to exist. Even when drinking stored blood parts, you've appropriated a desperately needed medical resource to prolong your lovely, awful state of being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I feel like the parasitism of the vampiric condition is more on the macro scale than the micro. Looking at a single vampire up against a single normal human yes, the relationship is probably more apt as a predator/prey thing, but vampires as a society or "strain" or however you choose to look at them are parasites on humanity at large. They blend in and go largely unnoticed, they seep into and corrupt important institutions of human society, there's the obvious part about how they literally prey upon humans as food of course, and by and large they contribute nothing despite the fact that they rely upon society's underpinnings and trappings to persist the way they do...subverting businesses and politicians and the local police and building these intricate webs of power and control aren't just a thing they do for fun, it's a thing they do to help them survive.

I mean I'm coming at this from a nWoD perspective, in the oWoD they made a big deal out of the Masquerade but as things went on the whole deal about "oh we need to be careful lest the mortals discover the true nature of the world" seemed more like an extremely sarcastic in-joke because what the gently caress was Joe Mortal gonna do about poo poo? The nWoD though takes the approach that regular people are actually quite capable of pushing the supernatural's poo poo in if they find themselves sufficiently motivated, and that vampiric superpowers might be nice but they aren't necessarily going to singlehandedly prevent the Union from sending a "work crew" to leave you staked out on a rooftop to take in the sunrise. Being able to pull the strings with local businesses to arrange for certain people to be transferred or laid off, having the cops in your pocket, and the mayor owing you a favor or three on the other hand, those can accomplish a lot more. So yeah, vampires as parasites makes sense to me when you look at the bigger picture. That and the fact that vampires don't actually do anything beneficial for humanity, like, at all.