Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

i still hear audio people praise firewire. apparently things that are unimportant to some consumer-level users are really important to Pro-level users?

also i don't see how thunderbolt maximizes incompatibility when every Mac now has it (save for the Macbook which just has it in another form).

audiophiles are not pros. prosumers, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

audiophiles are not pros. prosumers, sure.

shoot, I still have a powerbook G4 for the FireWire audio addons I have...most audio stuff was depreciated via the x86 changeover

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol yeah. the idiots who got suckered into buying firewire gear are the some dopes who bought into PPC and they refuse to admit how bad they got pwnt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lord funk posted:

as a pro-level user, i have no idea what those benefits could be. my usb rme interface is just as capable as my fw rme interface, and it doesn't need an adapter

in the past it was latency. firewire had waaaay lower latency than early usb audio interfaces, especially when you started piling on large numbers of channels. plus it could be daisy chained, allowing for simple pass-trough of multiple interfaces

that's less of an issue now, but all the recording greybeards are used to the way things used to work

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

lol yeah. the idiots who got suckered into buying firewire gear are the some dopes who bought into PPC and they refuse to admit how bad they got pwnt

back in the ppc days they bought firewire because usb was a shitshow when you have a terrible cpu

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I have a passive Thunderbolt->HDMI adapter to use my Macbook Air with an external monitor and about 10% of the time when I wake it from sleep it fucks up and won't properly detect it. Thanks Apple!!!

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
that really not Apple. HDMI handshaking is a poo poo storm

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
never had a problem with it in windows

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also it's a mini displayport to hdmi adapter

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

infernal machines posted:

all the recording greybeards are used to the way things used to work
truth

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

apple makes good decisions when it comes to their I/O

unfortunately the rest of the industry just buys whatever the cheapest poo poo at the annual computer trade show is

but pro users will buy Mac for thunderbolt or firewire, so who's laughing now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Apple @ the idiots who buy mac "pros"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ahem

macs "pro"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate ya cant even hear anything about 20khz and the most important frequencies are below 80hz and im pretty sure most sound systems can give you 80hz and then just put a lowpass on it anyway and boom you got neat and tidy bass. we all win

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what the gently caress does that have to do with dac i/o?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate i dont know

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm getting that

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasureKevin posted:

apple makes good decisions when it comes to their I/O

unfortunately the rest of the industry just buys whatever the cheapest poo poo at the annual computer trade show is

but pro users will buy Mac for thunderbolt or firewire, so who's laughing now

Yes, Apple making retarded poo poo that isn't compatible with the rest of the country & world is good, but only in that it makes people like you spend more money on dongles for your $2000 laptop that is about as usable and feature complete as a $400 Windows shitbox. But at least it has a magnesium case. Lol.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

most monitors sold today have displayports, so

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i noticed no change to scrolling in safari but i don't use it a whole lot. the app switcher in ios9 has always scrolled too fast, making it seem android-esque

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

never had a problem with it in windows

lol the intel gpu's gently caress it up constantly even on the best of wangdows systems

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

lord funk posted:

as a pro-level user, i have no idea what those benefits could be.

the fire makes the bits sound warmer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fritz posted:

the fire makes the bits sound warmer

and the wire is faster than a bus

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

Yes, Apple making retarded poo poo that isn't compatible with the rest of the country & world is good, but only in that it makes people like you spend more money on dongles for your $2000 laptop that is about as usable and feature complete as a $400 Windows shitbox. But at least it has a magnesium case. Lol.

except the boxes with the same high dpi screen, processor and pci sad are the same $2000 or more you fuckin nonce

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
this $400 laptop is the same!
*extends comically large hand crank to jump start spinning of hard drive*

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i like how apple's lower end computers being the middlin-tier to high end PC equivilants (not having a true 'low end') always incites the poors to compare lower-end to lower-end brand to brand

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The pixel 2 is superior to the macbook in every way but mainly because some loving Nobel laureate figured out how to put a second goddammed usb hole on it

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Management posted:

wait, android doesn't render everything on the gpu by default?

Blue Train posted:

you can force it for 2d drawing

yeah if you have 2d hardware composition in the display controller that should be way lower power than the gpu.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you build your own it's even cheaper!

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

except the boxes with the same high dpi screen, processor and pci sad are the same $2000 or more you fuckin nonce

not always, but the difference is propitiatory outputs that are the killer downfall

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

theultimo posted:

not always, but the difference is propitiatory outputs that are the killer downfall

yeah, the proprietary open standard displayport will surely be the downfall of apple. any day now

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, the proprietary open standard displayport will surely be the downfall of apple. any day now

well mini dp never caught on much

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

theultimo posted:

actually, mini dp is featured on the ThinkPad T series laptops, which are Best Laptops

full size dp is neat with the lil clippy fingers tho

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i wonder how popular the macbook is compared to the rest of the macs. it seems pretty useless to me but idunno what others think.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
did you guys hear that the next iPhone will have no headphone jack

finally thunderbolt headphones

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

theultimo posted:

idk your mom seems to be a big fan

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

akadajet posted:

i wonder how popular the macbook is compared to the rest of the macs. it seems pretty useless to me but idunno what others think.

i kinda figured in a year college classrooms will be full of freshmen with them

not much other use tho?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

theultimo posted:

sure. it's in pretty much every modern display that isn't scrub tier poo poo, and likewise every computer that isn't $200 from best buy, but yeah, it's pretty esoteric

uncurable mlady posted:

idk your mom seems to be a big fan

tell us more about your mini dping

just the tip?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sniep posted:

i kinda figured in a year college classrooms will be full of freshmen with them

not much other use tho?

remember netbooks?

what if they cost $1200? that'd be cool right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i see a lot of them around nyc

• Locked thread