Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
hot take: anyone else think that chapter was badass as h*ck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think people are discussing whether or not pudding is evil because it's more fun than saying "wow pudding is evil see you in two weeks"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ubiquitus posted:

It's pretty funny.

What's the point in Oda wasting so many panels characterizing Pudding as sensitive and empathetic through flashbacks and other panels to waste this by dumping her as "just evil"? Hell she was even crying as she was leaving Luffy and Nami. I could see a split personality or some weird nuance with the third eye, but otherwise it doesn't mesh.

She was crying because like she says a bit later only her family members know the real her, so she was faking crying to fake out the servants (and also the audience). Also to twist the knife in further.

Pretty hype for the rampage Luffy and Nami are going to go on once Chopper or Sanji frees them.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Baron Tamago must have eaten the Egg Egg fruit, when Pedro cuts him in half the shading implies he has a hollow inside and there's cracks emanating from the cut :allears:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

This arc is really violent

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kabanaw posted:

Baron Tamago must have eaten the Egg Egg fruit, when Pedro cuts him in half the shading implies he has a hollow inside and there's cracks emanating from the cut :allears:

For some reason I really hope they never explain this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm not going to make a call on this latest development either way, but I do know it happened just a few chapters after Sanji faked being a complete bastard in order to safely distance himself from the people he cared about.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kabanaw posted:

He is the egg man. That's what he is.

blizzardvizard posted:

Interrupting Pudding chat to point out that Pedro can spin his tail to hover :allears:

Is Oda a Sonic fan?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Pretty hype for the rampage Luffy and Nami are going to go on once Chopper or Sanji frees them.

I'm guessing Chopper, since Sanji is basically Nami in Arlong Park right now and at his lowest ebb, and will probably need Luffy to save him, not the other way round.

Also, no-one has asked yet what happened to Brook. :ohdear:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If they skip Brook for a while the implication is probably that he got stomped so thoroughly by BM they don't even need to bother showing it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I believe in The Soul King

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hope baron tamago's real form is the yolk, and the rest was a Biscuit-esque armor shell.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I hope he's Humpty Dumpty and his men can't put him back together again.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
People saying Pudding is actually evil are missing a key event that clearly shows she's actually good.

She gave Luffy food. No one who has given Luffy food has turned out to actually be bad.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

DizzyBum posted:

Is Oda a Sonic fan?

He created an entire island full of furries, so probably.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gyges posted:

People saying Pudding is actually evil are missing a key event that clearly shows she's actually good.

She gave Luffy food. No one who has given Luffy food has turned out to actually be bad.

It was poison food but Luffy didn't notice because it was just a normal dose

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gyges posted:

Hancock kicks puppies and has given Luffy the second most food out of anyone in one piece basically.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

anime was right posted:

Hancock kicks puppies and has given Luffy the second most food out of anyone in one piece basically.

And we went into her tragic back story which explains she's not actually bad.

Kicked puppies and baby seals notwithstanding.

As for the poisoning theory, Luffy wasn't the only member of the infiltration gang who ate Pudding's food.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hancock is pretty blameless by the standards of a One Piece character. I mean Hachi literally helped enslave a town and initially sold Camie to some slavers in his cover arc, but he was besties with the Straw Hats roughly five chapters into his second meeting with them.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Those puppies and baby seals were actually evil so it's okay to kick them

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Just realized that the character Brulee got taken out by burning.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

That's why when people say that Caesar drugged children, in reference to him being unredeemable, I think "so what, give him a few buddy-buddy chapters and all is forgiven in One Piece."

Luffy's reaction in the cage is uncharacteristic, I feel. He's been locked up so many times before and always remained calm, waiting for his crew to figure things out. Does he not trust his crew on this one or something? I forget if he was told that they were all captured or dead to make him act like this or does he think they are still out there but won't be able to help?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you only get to be redeemed if you have a tragic backstory that explains your previous actions

sorry caesar, you're out

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

Lpzie posted:

Luffy's reaction in the cage is uncharacteristic, I feel. He's been locked up so many times before and always remained calm, waiting for his crew to figure things out. Does he not trust his crew on this one or something? I forget if he was told that they were all captured or dead to make him act like this or does he think they are still out there but won't be able to help?

He's acting like that because they forcibly moved him from the spot he promised Sanji he'd be waiting at until he died.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Lets not pretend that going near full Mengela on kids is morally comparable to narratively illustrative mistreatment of cute things to show how much the character is loved by everyone. Caesar is an irredimable rear end in a top hat because he's a conniving mad scientist. Hancock is an rear end in a top hat to get her hosed up emotional fix so she forgets about all the slavery and torture.

Are Alvida and Hancock the only one's with Devil Powers working out their issues with the help of magic fruits?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I don't think Pudding's third eye does jack poo poo. I do, however, think that Nitro is her watcher for Big Mom and thus she must conceal her intentions slightly behind bluster.

Has there been a "The Third Crewmember" chapter yet? If not I think we will be getting one shortly.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I dunno what I love more, people doing "conjoined fetus" level mental gymnastics to make sure their new One Piece waifu is secretly triple fooling literally no one so that she remains a pure maiden, or that people are concocting stupid ideas for how Tamago can be a sentient egg when the main vilains whole shtick is that she can make sentient objects.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Crazyeyes posted:

Has there been a "The Third Crewmember" chapter yet? If not I think we will be getting one shortly.

I think there was one right when Sanji joined up. However, I think we'll get a "Straw Hat Crew - Black Leg Sanji" chapter sometime soon.

edit: Adjusted the title

Kuroyama fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 24, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

An odd title for a chapter, considering that he's the fifth.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I don't really care that much about Pudding. I'd be fine if she's uber evil, but that scene where she's alone reflecting on Lola and Big Mom telling her to be obedient, which happens immediately before she drops the goody two-shoes persona, makes me think something else is going on.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

An odd title for a chapter, considering that he's the fifth.

Does Nami officially join after Buggy or after Arlong?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

^^^ Even then Sanji would be the fourth.

Do we have any idea what the third eye might relate to or where it came from? Any three eyed people I've forgotten about?

Also, while I'll believe Pudding is evil once she is unequivocally dead and buried in the ruins of Totland, she is also never, ever joining the crew in a million years.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Does Nami officially join after Buggy or after Arlong?

After Arlong (at least according to her own definition), but she got a chapter called The Second anyway.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In which case I'm very confused.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

In which case I'm very confused.

Chapter 68 is "Yonninme", "The 4th person", where Sanji joins.

*Edit* Neither Nami nor Usopp's chapters were in this format, only Zoro and Sanji. Oda does it again!

derra fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 24, 2016

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

derra posted:

Chapter 68 is "Yonninme", "The 4th person", where Sanji joins.

*Edit* Neither Nami nor Usopp's chapters were in this format, only Zoro and Sanji. Oda does it again!

Nami was chapter 94, Usopp was 439. The official english translations just didn't translate the "person" part of the chapter. The only members who haven't gotten a "The X-th" chapter are Chopper and Robin.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
As I understand it, Sanji is the 5th Straw Hat after being the 4th to join the crew (after Zoro, Nami, and Usopp in that order).

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Nami was chapter 94, Usopp was 439. The official english translations just didn't translate the "person" part of the chapter. The only members who haven't gotten a "The X-th" chapter are Chopper and Robin.

You are right, serves me right for being lazy instead of opening up my tankobons. I stand corrected!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ryaomon posted:

I dunno what I love more, people doing "conjoined fetus" level mental gymnastics to make sure their new One Piece waifu is secretly triple fooling literally no one so that she remains a pure maiden, or that people are concocting stupid ideas for how Tamago can be a sentient egg when the main vilains whole shtick is that she can make sentient objects.

Big Mom's ability doesn't change them into a human shape though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ryaomon posted:

hey get a load of this guy