Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Red Bones posted:

He was looking kind of dumb
With his fingers and his thumbs on the
Shameflute we fastened to his neck

Well the fruit starts coming and it don't stop coming
You screw one priest and the guards come running
Didn't make sense just to live for God
When we all get buried in the same wet sod
I stopped by the seminary
Father Klaus has always been nice to me
I should've never let the Duke know
Flute ain't the only thing that I blow

Hey now
You're a wastrel
Get the flute on
For shame!
Hey now
You're a peasant
Screwing priests is
Not okay!
It is the Lord's intent
That you're going to go to hell if you don't re-peeent

Glorious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The stars above in heaven do, in fact, shine on the grave of old John Brown.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Great Sphinx of Giza is not a sphinx. It got that name 2000 years after it was constructed. Before that it was known as Horus of the Horizon but we do not know what the people who constructed it called it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The Great Sphinx of Giza is not a sphinx. It got that name 2000 years after it was constructed. Before that it was known as Horus of the Horizon but we do not know what the people who constructed it called it.

“Big”

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Mister Big Meow-Meow"

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Alhazred posted:

5 Vigilant Gaze Purges The Horizon

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
"Chonky Desert Boi"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cat big

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Phy posted:

Cat big

Yeah, but in like, hieroglyphics or something

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Phy posted:

Cat big

oh ra he coming

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Cacafuego posted:

Yeah, but in like, hieroglyphics or something

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Excerpts from a diary found in an ancient excavated privy, Giza:

I will never forget the first time meeting Khafre. A vibrant, dynamic personality. The perfect salesman, all exuberance and clear visions for the future. He had much to tell me, Ahmenenet, maker of statuary.

"I tell you, Ahme' , this pharaoh thing is small time. Private sector is where you make the real money. That's what you can help me with right now. Will you?"
"Sure."
"You've seen the fuzzy, clawed things? The, uh, the-"
"Cats, sir?"
"Yeah, yeah. Those things. Can't stand 'em myself. Do you know how much they eat? People line up and down the streets to feed 'em. Worshipping the creatures, even."
"Yes, well I'm an architect. I don't see..."
"Two words. Cat. Food. Just get our name out there. Think big. Make us famous, Ah'. When they write my name, I wanna see, 'Man-sitting-while-holding-staff, cat'".

...ten years. Ten years of questions, interviews, accolades, and lots of hard work. For it to come crashing down at it's conclusion is such a black mark, my family name may never be clean again.

I, myself, gently covered our benefactor's eyes during the unveiling. Feeling a slight tremble of anticipation on both our parts, I closed mine as he opened his. A sunny, idyllic moment of satisfaction shattered by a roar,

"What the gently caress?! That's just a huge statue of a loving cat! Where's my name? Who's gonna know this is mine? Why have you built it to outlast the Gods?! Ten years! I'll have you buried in it!"

I couldn't think of what I, Ahmenenet, grandson of builder of the Giant Weevil off Alexandria, son of builder of the Massive Bed-Louse in Memphis, could say to the man...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"Fluffy".

I mean, Hades apparently named his dog 'Spot', so I can't be too off the mark.

*I was told that Cerberus translates to 'Spotted one'. Can anyone confirm?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

"Fluffy".

I mean, Hades apparently named his dog 'Spot', so I can't be too off the mark.

*I was told that Cerberus translates to 'Spotted one'. Can anyone confirm?

According to wiki the etymology is uncertain. It could also mean "not yet successful", "evil in the pit" or "flesh-devouring".

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
'Spotted' it is :colbert:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alhazred posted:

According to wiki the etymology is uncertain. It could also mean "not yet successful", "evil in the pit" or "flesh-devouring".

ah, "goon"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

5 Vigilant Gaze Purges The Horizon

Ho there, Coming or Going?

anyone here not already reading Kill Six Billion Demons really should go amend that asap

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

madeintaipei posted:

Excerpts from a diary found in an ancient excavated privy, Giza:

I will never forget the first time meeting Khafre. A vibrant, dynamic personality. The perfect salesman, all exuberance and clear visions for the future. He had much to tell me, Ahmenenet, maker of statuary.

"I tell you, Ahme' , this pharaoh thing is small time. Private sector is where you make the real money. That's what you can help me with right now. Will you?"
"Sure."
"You've seen the fuzzy, clawed things? The, uh, the-"
"Cats, sir?"
"Yeah, yeah. Those things. Can't stand 'em myself. Do you know how much they eat? People line up and down the streets to feed 'em. Worshipping the creatures, even."
"Yes, well I'm an architect. I don't see..."
"Two words. Cat. Food. Just get our name out there. Think big. Make us famous, Ah'. When they write my name, I wanna see, 'Man-sitting-while-holding-staff, cat'".

...ten years. Ten years of questions, interviews, accolades, and lots of hard work. For it to come crashing down at it's conclusion is such a black mark, my family name may never be clean again.

I, myself, gently covered our benefactor's eyes during the unveiling. Feeling a slight tremble of anticipation on both our parts, I closed mine as he opened his. A sunny, idyllic moment of satisfaction shattered by a roar,

"What the gently caress?! That's just a huge statue of a loving cat! Where's my name? Who's gonna know this is mine? Why have you built it to outlast the Gods?! Ten years! I'll have you buried in it!"

I couldn't think of what I, Ahmenenet, grandson of builder of the Giant Weevil off Alexandria, son of builder of the Massive Bed-Louse in Memphis, could say to the man...

Very nice and Pratchettian

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Also, it's light history in many respects, but I found How to Feed a Dictator thoroughly enthralling. Written by a Polish journalist and published this year, it's an easy one-afternoon read. Most of it is just straight translation of the experiences shared by the head chefs of Saddam Hussein, Idi Amin, Pol Pot, Fidel Castro, and Enver Hoxha after this fellow tracked them down.

I actually found the Enver Hoxha section the most interesting even though he's easily the least commonly-known of the set. All of them were people with some level of personal interaction with the leader.

Anyway, an insightful look at how people viewed events when they were in surprisingly close proximity but had no political power. The most fun guessing game is who denounced their associated leader and who continued to vouch for them.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Buying this book.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bony tony posted:

Very nice and Pratchettian

Thank you!

Letter found in glove-box, Atlanta, 22nd century:

"My dearest Misty-Lynn-Anne,

It is truly horrible here. We lost the 4th Alabama Mud-truckin' Regiment to DUI's a week back. The legal fund is gone and I do not think any of those men will be saved. Thank heavens they lasted longer than the 28th Volunteer Tweaker Scouts out of Nashville. Those boys never made it out of town before title-pawn swooped in. A sorry business, cut down to the last Nissan Hardbody. I am fine, 69th Pennsylvania White Work-Truck division does little fighting (but do not tell them that. Ha Ha). Please send Redman twist and Monster energy drink, as we can not find these things here.

Yours truly,
Zebulon Asa Emil Cornelious van Aas"

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
My favorite pieces of history are the ones from the barren, ragged edge that are barely remembered. New World civilizations that were smothered out, and we can only suss out the barest details of their millennia long history. Old World civilizations that we have record of, but they are so distant that even the names of their rulers seem alien.

"Finger Snail was an ancient Egyptian ruler (Pharaoh) from the pre-Dynastic period of prehistoric Egypt. It is disputed whether he really existed as the reading of his name as king's name is far from certain."

FINGER SNAIL, GOD-KING OF MEN

His possible successors include Fish, Animal, and The Motherfucking Scorpion King. But we don't know. Maybe they existed, maybe they are myth layered upon someone who once was real. You gotta go back 5000 years for that poo poo in Eurasia+Africa.

In the Americas, you have plenty of alien indecipherable rulers within the last 2 millennia. Numeral Jaguars and Smoking Obsidian Mirrors and all kinds of living, mythical godheads whose name and reason and accomplishments are all dust. We can just barely affirm that they existed. And they have their own 3000 BC proto-dynasties that are almost entirely lost knowledge.

I eat that poo poo right up. Even if it's a dry, scholarly document and it's missing lots of details, I love reading about some of the Oldest Things We Can Possibly Know.

drrockso20 posted:

Ho there, Coming or Going?

anyone here not already reading Kill Six Billion Demons really should go amend that asap

gently caress you i just burned through the whole thing in 3 days and now i'm really mad that it is not a complete series

it is the perfect combination of casual modern retelling of ancient myth and slap-happy combat from a tabletop RPG/Jojo at the same time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

WITCHCRAFT posted:

My favorite pieces of history are the ones from the barren, ragged edge that are barely remembered. New World civilizations that were smothered out, and we can only suss out the barest details of their millennia long history. Old World civilizations that we have record of, but they are so distant that even the names of their rulers seem alien.

"Finger Snail was an ancient Egyptian ruler (Pharaoh) from the pre-Dynastic period of prehistoric Egypt. It is disputed whether he really existed as the reading of his name as king's name is far from certain."

FINGER SNAIL, GOD-KING OF MEN

His possible successors include Fish, Animal, and The Motherfucking Scorpion King. But we don't know. Maybe they existed, maybe they are myth layered upon someone who once was real. You gotta go back 5000 years for that poo poo in Eurasia+Africa.

In the Americas, you have plenty of alien indecipherable rulers within the last 2 millennia. Numeral Jaguars and Smoking Obsidian Mirrors and all kinds of living, mythical godheads whose name and reason and accomplishments are all dust. We can just barely affirm that they existed. And they have their own 3000 BC proto-dynasties that are almost entirely lost knowledge.

I eat that poo poo right up. Even if it's a dry, scholarly document and it's missing lots of details, I love reading about some of the Oldest Things We Can Possibly Know.

gently caress you i just burned through the whole thing in 3 days and now i'm really mad that it is not a complete series

it is the perfect combination of casual modern retelling of ancient myth and slap-happy combat from a tabletop RPG/Jojo at the same time.

If you want more good comics in that vein I can heartily recommend Prince of Sartar and Out of Placers

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Göbekli Tepi - the earliest traces of human religion.

Wikipedia posted:

It remains unknown how a population large enough to construct, augment, and maintain such a substantial complex was mobilized and compensated or fed in the conditions of pre-sedentary society. Scholars have been unable to interpret the pictograms, and do not know what meaning the animal reliefs had for visitors to the site. The variety of fauna depicted – from lions and boars to birds and insects – makes any single explanation problematic. As there is little or no evidence of habitation, and many of the animals pictured are predators, the stones may have been intended to stave off evils through some form of magic representation. Alternatively, they could have served as totems.[55]

The assumption that the site was strictly cultic in purpose and not inhabited has been challenged as well by the suggestion that the structures served as large communal houses, "similar in some ways to the large plank houses of the Northwest Coast of North America with their impressive house posts and totem poles."[56] It is not known why every few decades the existing pillars were buried to be replaced by new stones as part of a smaller, concentric ring inside the older one.[57]

Human burials may have occurred at the site. The reason the complex was carefully backfilled remains unexplained. Based on current evidence, it is difficult to deduce anything certain about the originating culture or the site's significance.

An archaeologist working the site hypothesizes that it may record the beginnings of resurrection mythology.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Then look no further than the Battle of Tollense valley! Up until the 90s, it was widely believed that during the bronze age northern middle Europe was basically a sparsely populated wasteland (which as a south German I'm legally obligated to say it still is :v:) where people were organised in tribes and/or small villages, living off the land as well as from a limited trade network of e.g. amber going from the Baltics to the west and south. Warfare didn't figure into scholar's thoughts about that time and place except as the vague possibility of groups of young men raiding neighbouring tribes/villages. The area was basically seen as a European hinterland; while in the mediterranean big civilisations like Egypt, the Minoans or the Sumerians flowered, this part of the continent was thught to be technologically and culturally way behind.

Well, sometimes it's really a single find that literally rewrites history. In 1996, an amateur archaeologist found a bone at the Tollense river in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany's northeasternmost state. It was a human bone, and it had a bronze arrowhead embedded in it. The finder alerted the authorities who started larger digs at the spot and were absolutely flabberghasted at what they found during the following years. This area had been the site of a vast battle that took place at around 1250 BC, encompassing somewhere between three and five thousand men. Those were no mere tribal warriors either, but well-equipped soldiers - virtually all of them males between 20 and 40 years old - with a lot of combat experience, as their bones show. Some of them even came from far away places like what is today southern Gemany - maybe they were mercenaries of some sort? It wasn't merely footsoldiers either, but also cavalry and archers.

This changed everything. Five thousand professional soldiers don't just appear out of thin air, they need to be trained, clothed, equipped, fed, briefed and organised. This is only possible if you have a centralised authority of some sort - or rather two at least, since it was two armies clashing against each other. But, and this is the really fascinating thing: We have literally zero idea about those authorities. Who and where were they, how were they structured and governed, what were their motivations about going to war, what language did their peoples speak and what religion did they follow, did they have capital cities and if yes, where? Noone knows.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Battle of Tollense Valley is super fascinating, I've been following it for years. Prehistory! :allears:

In 1943, remains of a bridge and a stretch of stone road were discovered not far from where I grew up (Oldtisvejen ved Ellemose). The bridge has been dated to ~2800 BCE, and the road to ~500 BCE.

The preserved part of the road is 150 meters long and 3 meters wide, and goes through a swampy area that was even swampier at the time. The bridge is no longer visible above the waterline, but at least 200 poles have been attested, and it is supposed to be the oldest in Denmark.

In other words, there must have been a pretty good reason to cross the swamps, and there must have been some sort of community with the logistics to construct and maintain the passage.

There are a couple nearby locales having names that begin Ti-, reconstructed as the god Týr, though he may have superceded an earlier god at the place. Indeed, his name has been replaced on a nearby sacred spring by a christian saint.

So, perhaps a road for pilgrims? Who knows!

1943 photo:

Link to Kulturstyrelsen (Cultural Admin)
http://www.kulturarv.dk/fundogfortidsminder/Lokalitet/92169/

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Jul 9, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Egyptian ruler Iry‐Hor is often considered to be the most ancient person whose name we know.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

System Metternich posted:

Then look no further than the Battle of Tollense valley! Up until the 90s, it was widely believed that during the bronze age northern middle Europe was basically a sparsely populated wasteland (which as a south German I'm legally obligated to say it still is :v:) where people were organised in tribes and/or small villages, living off the land as well as from a limited trade network of e.g. amber going from the Baltics to the west and south. Warfare didn't figure into scholar's thoughts about that time and place except as the vague possibility of groups of young men raiding neighbouring tribes/villages. The area was basically seen as a European hinterland; while in the mediterranean big civilisations like Egypt, the Minoans or the Sumerians flowered, this part of the continent was thught to be technologically and culturally way behind.

Well, sometimes it's really a single find that literally rewrites history. In 1996, an amateur archaeologist found a bone at the Tollense river in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany's northeasternmost state. It was a human bone, and it had a bronze arrowhead embedded in it. The finder alerted the authorities who started larger digs at the spot and were absolutely flabberghasted at what they found during the following years. This area had been the site of a vast battle that took place at around 1250 BC, encompassing somewhere between three and five thousand men. Those were no mere tribal warriors either, but well-equipped soldiers - virtually all of them males between 20 and 40 years old - with a lot of combat experience, as their bones show. Some of them even came from far away places like what is today southern Gemany - maybe they were mercenaries of some sort? It wasn't merely footsoldiers either, but also cavalry and archers.

This changed everything. Five thousand professional soldiers don't just appear out of thin air, they need to be trained, clothed, equipped, fed, briefed and organised. This is only possible if you have a centralised authority of some sort - or rather two at least, since it was two armies clashing against each other. But, and this is the really fascinating thing: We have literally zero idea about those authorities. Who and where were they, how were they structured and governed, what were their motivations about going to war, what language did their peoples speak and what religion did they follow, did they have capital cities and if yes, where? Noone knows.

The bronze age collapse is the most interesting period in history I think.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The punic wars did not officially end until 1985 when the mayor of Rome and the mayor of modern Carthage signed a peace treaty.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alhazred posted:

The punic wars did not officially end until 1985 when the mayor of Rome and the mayor of modern Carthage signed a peace treaty.

There was a brief period where I thought Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un's budding bromance might lead to a new fun fact about the official end of the Korean War. Alas, it was not to be.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

at least 200 poles have been attested

I first read this as "at least 200 Poles have been arrested" and was super confused for a hot second :v: But thanks, that's a cool story! I take it that the reformation ended pilgrimages to this sacred spring?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

System Metternich posted:

I first read this as "at least 200 Poles have been arrested" and was super confused for a hot second :v: But thanks, that's a cool story! I take it that the reformation ended pilgrimages to this sacred spring?

lol

Pilgrimages to the St. Helen spring continued after the reformation. There's a churchbox account book from the 1700s, detailing donations made at the spring donation box and their payouts to the local poor. As all sacred springs, it was said to have healing properties and of course the lame were made to walk again if they bathed in it. I think the most recent accounts I've seen of are from the 1800s. It is still visited, now mainly because it's a nice area and a nature preserve.

The change from Týr to Helen* probably happened around the christianization of Denmark ca. 1000 CE, but there are no local written sources that mention any of these locations until way after the reformation (1536) so who knows — also, almost all primary Danish sources are post-reformation. As a guess, I would say least 75% of Danish history prior to the reformation is from external sources and archaeology. Probably a lot was lost during the associated struggles...

:shrug:

e: It is now called Helenekilde (ɔ: St. Helen's Spring), but a theory is that it was for a time called Helligkilde (ɔ: Holy spring) and the name shifted over time.

I guess she isn't actually a catholic saint, but rather a murdered (some say common, some say noble) woman, thrown into the ocean, whose corpse was born ashore on a great rock. And where she landed, a spring came forth. That's the medieval story anyway. The pre-christian story is only conjecture:
https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helenekilde_(Tisvilde)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Jul 10, 2020

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

lol

Pilgrimages to the St. Helen spring continued after the reformation. There's a churchbox account book from the 1700s, detailing donations made at the spring donation box and their payouts to the local poor. As all sacred springs, it was said to have healing properties and of course the lame were made to walk again if they bathed in it. I think the most recent accounts I've seen of are from the 1800s. It is still visited, now mainly because it's a nice area and a nature preserve.

The change from Týr to Helen* probably happened around the christianization of Denmark ca. 1000 CE, but there are no local written sources that mention any of these locations until way after the reformation (1536) so who knows — also, almost all primary Danish sources are post-reformation. As a guess, I would say least 75% of Danish history prior to the reformation is from external sources and archaeology. Probably a lot was lost during the associated struggles...

:shrug:

e: It is now called Helenekilde (ɔ: St. Helen's Spring), but a theory is that it was for a time called Helligkilde (ɔ: Holy spring) and the name shifted over time.

I guess she isn't actually a catholic saint, but rather a murdered (some say common, some say noble) woman, thrown into the ocean, whose corpse was born ashore on a great rock. And where she landed, a spring came forth. That's the medieval story anyway. The pre-christian story is only conjecture:
https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helenekilde_(Tisvilde)

That's fascinating, colour me surprised! German protestants normally had gotten rid of everything they deemed "supernatural" by the 1600s at the latest - or at least the church authorities did, because we know that Protestant farmers living in areas with Catholic minorities or neighbouring Catholic territories would often do pilgrimages to Catholic monasteries etc instead to get those blessings. But then I guess in a mixed-religion situation like Germany had post-reformation, Church authorities were likely to pay more attention towards things they considered unseemly or even heretical

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I mean yeah heresy was a thing, but my impression is that the authorities preferred peace/law & order over orthodoxy. Note: I am a layman, so.

We had witch-burnings for a while (the last one in 1693; iirc the burden of proof was changed by royal decree to require material evidence for conviction, not just witnesses or confessions made under torture), but witches and so-called "wise" men/women were still assumed real until the 1800s. And you would definitely be shunned if your neighbors decided you were a witch. I think in the case of Helenekilde, it was just easier to subsume it into the lutheran state church, and there are many other pre-reformation sacred springs...

I may have posted about my great-2 grandfather, who threw his knife at a bird i think sometime around 1875, and then the next day he met an old woman who lifted her dress and asked him to remove the knife from her thigh. That's the story anyway.

But also the Danish army was mostly mercenary until general conscription in 1788, which meant there were a lot of catholics from the holy roman empire & further abroad. Which in turn meant catholic services in the nominally protestant Garnison (army) and Holmen (navy) churches of Copenhagen. And there was a reformed Huegenot congregation in Fredericia, and Jews in Glückstadt & Copenhagen. They were all at the mercy of royal decree, so it wasn't freedom of religion, but it also wasn't 100% lutheran. Amsterdam was probably a lot freeer re: religion, but I think most other places weren't.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

It depends wheren & when you're talking about, and what exactly you mean by "freedom of religion". Like in the HRE for example there were a bunch of "paritätisch" (=equal representation) free cities where Catholics and Lutherans were forced by law to coexist, there were territories where two or more religions were allowed, there were areas where the question of who actually ruled them were so complicated that they became almost a terra nullius kind of deal where especially Jews could carve out a corner of their own (the city of Fürth is a great example of this), there were territories where the government alternated between Lutheran and Catholic princes, monasteries where Catholic, Protestant and Reformed nuns hung out together and so on. So there were a lot of possibilities if you knew where to look, but otoh none of them were examples of what we would describe as "religious freedom" nowadays, like in the paritätisch city of Augsburg the balance between Catholic and Lutheran was enforced to such a degree that a municipality janitor (who was Lutheran) was once forced to hire a Lutheran maid for exactly three years and four months because his Catholic predecessor had employed one of his daughters for this timespan, or if the authorities got wind of children from mixed-religion couples being brought up in the "wrong" religion they actually sent in officials who had the kid pray the Our Father, and if it did so too Catholic or too Protestant (there were/are differences) there would be hell to pay

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That's a lot more mixed yet delineated than I expected! I knew that some parishes were "parity", but I was not aware that it went so far as the employment duration of janitors' servants lol

The catholic soldiers who married in Denmark gave up their religion; their children would all be lutheran by law. One of my ancestors is a musketeer from Alsace who lived ca. 1735–72, and I don't yet know if he was raised catholic or lutheran so I have a whole lot of parish registers to look through, once they come online.

Also I just remembered that Santa Lucia is still celebrated in parts of Denmark and Sweden. On December 13, white-clad children walk in procession with candles, while singing this song, here by the girl choir of the Danish Broadcasting Corporation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rBd8EdGs5c

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Jul 10, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

Also I just remembered that Santa Maria is still celebrated in parts of Denmark and Sweden. On December 13, white-clad children walk in procession with candles, while singing this song, here by the girl choir of the Danish Broadcasting Corporation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rBd8EdGs5c

That's Santa Lucia. And she's celebrated in Norway too. Norway actually has some remnants of the catholic tradition in regards of saints even if we're supposed to be protestants. St. Hallvard is the patron saint of our capital, Oslo. St. Olaf is the patron saint of Norway and is celebrated at olsok (29th of july). We used to celebrate St. Knut's day. We celebrate sankthans which is a day to celebrate Saint John (the norwegian equivalent of midsommar). And we also have Mikkelsmesse which is a day dedicated to St. Michael.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

aaaah gently caress, that was a "typo" lol

i went lucia myself, white robe, candle & all

quick, everybody pretend that i wrote lucia and not maria!!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Iceland the mass of St.Þorlák, patron saint of fishermen, Scandinavian Catholics, and Iceland itself, is celebrated the day before Christmas Eve by eating ammonia infused skate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

In Iceland the mass of St.Þorlák, patron saint of fishermen, Scandinavian Catholics, and Iceland itself, is celebrated the day before Christmas Eve by eating ammonia infused skate.
Much be nice to have one day where you don't eat ammonia infused shark.