Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yeah I'd like to know too. The Nuri ones I have are stuffed with rice and ... squid bits I think. Where'd you get those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Planet X posted:

Yeah I'd like to know too. The Nuri ones I have are stuffed with rice and ... squid bits I think. Where'd you get those?

Christmas present from my Kiddo. I have no idea the original source. The filling seems like rice and squid bits too. But honestly I have no idea. It was yummy though.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
just had some Ortiz dines in oil. these are maybe the biggest loving dines i've ever seen in a tin, and came absolutely loaded with oil. very tasty though, would buy again

MissKeewi
May 19, 2013

Occasional lurker and turned devout Sardine eater because of this thread. Thanks for the great resources and tasty recipe ideas.

I got my partner interested in them, too and he bought The Magic of Tinned Fish cookbook. It's pretty good, I made the mackerel cakes and they were very delicious, perfect with a little gochujang. Some of the recipes call for ingredients that aren't super accesible but we could get by with most of them.

The book also mentioned some websites to source some tinned fish, one of them is called Yummy bazaar. I haven't bought from it yet, but looks promising so far. I don't remember if anyone posted it already but even if someone did, maybe a newer poster can benefit from more sources to buy quality 'dines. I love tincanfish.com you guys mentioned in this thread.

I also found this recipe that looks delicious, I might try to make it tomorrow: https://farahjeats.com/recipe/spicy-sardine-with-eggs-sardin-telur/

Edit: just realized someone posted about the book last page. Sweet.

MissKeewi fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 23, 2023

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
My mother in law recently lost her fiance in a complicated and traumatic situation. She came to visit with my terrible sister in law and her kids a week or 2 ago. She spent most of the time locked in the guest room, but when the kids were at the park she came down while I was eating some Trader Joe's smoked trout. She had some, and we spent a nice hour or so eating fish together before the kids got back and she went back upstairs. When she left, I made sure to send her home with a couple cans from my stash.
If you'd have told me I'd bond with my mother in law over my weird canned fish hobby, I'd have laughed at you, but here we are. Share the fish, share the love.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Friends, here is a picture of my lunch before I smashed it all together and jammed it into my gullet

Got a base of spring greens, a cup of Minute Rice, Mina sardines (baked at 450 for 10minutes), a gooey poached egg, and kimchi.

It was goddamn delicious!

also, I wouldn't mind seeing this as a new thread title-

sock it to me! posted:

Share the fish, share the love.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 24, 2023

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I am on vacation and did some snorkeling...

... I swam with (near) sardines.

Some swim with turtles, rays, dolphins. Nope, not me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm going to Portugal for vacation in the summer and one of the top 5 reasons for going is to do the Pinhais/Nuri factory tour. The New York Times even has a big article about Nuri.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/13/travel/portugal-sardine-factory-tour.html

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

which of us is this and why did you reveal our secrets to reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/13fd010/aita_for_eating_sardines_for_lunch_every_day_at/

AITA for eating sardines for lunch every day at work posted:

I'm 31 years old and morbidly obese (6'0" and 315 pounds at my highest), and I have several health problems as a result. Hypertension (on three medications, all max dose), GERD (on a medication), sleep apnea (use CPAP every night), erectile dysfunction (which arguably sucks more than anything else). Last time I had routine bloodwork was over a year ago, and my cholesterol was above "normal" but not high enough to need medication. My blood sugar was okay, thank god. But I'm due for more bloodwork soon, so hopefully that's still the case.

Anyway, I've been trying to eat healthier, and after a lot of trial and error, I've settled on the following lunch:

One can of sardines

Two soft-boiled eggs (marinated in soy sauce, mirin, and sake...also known as ajitsuke tamago)

Three 0.75-ounce pieces of Cabot Seriously Sharp cheddar cheese

20 grape tomatoes

Three mini cucumbers (sliced and seasoned with Tajin)

20 black grapes

This lunch has struck the perfect balance of: 1) relatively cheap (the cheese is more expensive than I'd like, but everything else is reasonable), 2) relatively easy/fast to prepare (the eggs can be a pain to peel and have to be marinated for 24 hours, but everything else can be prepared pretty quickly in the morning), 3) tasty (I legitimately enjoy eating all six of these foods and haven't gotten tired of them yet), and 4) healthy (it's a very nutritious, balanced mix of foods).

I've been doing this for a few weeks and have lost about 10 pounds. The problem is that some of my coworkers dislike the smell of the sardines in the breakroom. Today one of them finally confronted me about it and said that I "need to stop eating those around other people." I said that sardines are a normal food and that I have just as much of a right to eat my lunch in the breakroom as anyone else. She said that if I bring them again next week, then she's going to "file a formal complaint" with my boss.

Honestly I'm not willing to give up my sardines, nor do I feel like I should have to. They're a bonafide wonder food. In addition to being a strong source of healthy protein and omega-3s, they're also a wonderful source of vitamins and minerals, including things that can be lacking in other foods like calcium and vitamin D. And since they're at the bottom of the food chain, you can eat them every day without having to worry about mercury poisoning like with tuna. And they taste great to boot.

So my question is: AITA if I ignore her demands and continue to eat sardines in the breakroom?

P.S.: Some people might ask why I don't just go to my car to eat. I would actually prefer that option even if this whole fiasco hadn't occurred because I'm very introverted, but unfortunately our building and parking lot are both massive, so I'd end up spending half of my break walking back and forth and wouldn't have time to eat, especially since I like to savor my food. And on top of that, the summer is coming up, and I'm not keen on going outside because I sweat profusely at my weight.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I had some "sardines salad using the oil in the tin to make a dressing" at work and so far nobody seemed to get mad.

Also a studio mate told me there's supposedly a restaurant opening in East Portland that will served canned fishes. Will report when it's actually open.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Huh, that's a real thing that got posted

I still have a can of kipper snacks in my cabinet

I call them fish bacon

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I eat them straight out the tin

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

barnold posted:

just had some Ortiz dines in oil. these are maybe the biggest loving dines i've ever seen in a tin, and came absolutely loaded with oil. very tasty though, would buy again

I have one of those I bought as a splurge last year, still unopened and awaiting a celebration - good to hear they're worth the like six bucks I paid!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That obese lunch could seriously use some fiber

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

he could do a lot worse than cucumbers cherry tomatoes and grapes. he's basically got a weebo ploughman's lunch there

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I eat some stinky foods at work sometimes, including sardines, but I’m self aware enough to not do it next to people, not do it every day, to to clean everything up quick so the stink goes away.

‘Wooger’s famous stinkbowl’ of leftover rice, spinach or other veg, kimchi & sardines only comes out once a week maximum.

I can’t get behind eating the same thing for lunch every day regardless.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I took kippers to work once and everyone was absolutely repulsed before I even opened the can

One girl gagged at the sight

Really? An unopened tin of fish is so repulsive you had to make a big scene about it? Get over yourself Krystal.

They're delicious.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

stand for what's right even if you stand alone

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/gYZs4psQIGw

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Found a can of cod liver in a polish market, I’m going to the next step fellas, see you on the other side.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
mom got me a jar of baltic gold in tomato sauce. ate them today - the sardines were pretty good but the tomato sauce was excessively sweet in my opinion. by the end i felt like i had just eaten a bag of candy or something and it was getting to be a little too much

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Gonna stink up work this week.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

How could you eat the extremely rare bellowsfish?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

probably on a cracker or in a salad

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
All dem 'dines going into salads. Big thing will be if the oil they're packed in helps make a decent dressing.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

boil penne
drain and rinse

add:
tin of scallops in galician sauce
capers
basil
high quality olive oil
salt and pepper
a half spoon of white wine

eat

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
What kinda spoon we talkin about

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

talkin, dang ole, fork...man

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

im gonna make this except with low-quality olive oil :devil:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

grocer, your shittiest olive oil please

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i dare you to buy this you piece of crap i double dare you

https://www.eatsebs.com/products/sicilian-olive-oil

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i dare you to buy this you piece of crap i double dare you

https://www.eatsebs.com/products/sicilian-olive-oil

just for that im gonna make it with corn oil, what now bicth

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

just bought la bouffe out of those scallops suck it AA

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

once I went to a shellfish place and they had some scallops on special. the waiter said the particular variety had been illegal to harvest for almost a decade from low population but this year there were enough to get some. Anyway the endangered scallops tasted like any other scallop

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Saucer Hovers posted:

just bought la bouffe out of those scallops suck it AA

Good as I don't care for scallops that much anyway! :mad:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The big scallops are whatever but the little ones are very good.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The big scallops are usually fake, either skate or shark instead of scallop. The little bay one are usually real.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The big scallops are usually fake, either skate or shark instead of scallop. The little bay one are usually real.

receipts please
never once been served a fake scallop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My sister ate scallops at a restaurant and got violently sick years ago. So I’ve avoided them

I asked her about that recently and turns out she was violently sick from drinking too much wine

So gotta give scallops a try