Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Yeah, who even owns a 4K TV?

My biggest worry about the gaming industry right now is that both Sony and Microsoft are tripping over themselves to market towards young, affluent white men, what with SUPER GRAPHICS!!! and pricy peripherals that play $40 minigames and mid-generatiob console remasters and whatnot, and ignoring everyone else. Nintendo is the only one of the big three right now that tries to diversify their audience a little. I don't want consoles to just become shittier PCs that market themselves exclusively to a shrinking ~core audience~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

There's a bunch of games I would buy straight up rereleases just to have an HD portable version. "Remasters" with more content would make me happy and would probably sell well, especially since no one owns a Wii U so they would feel like brand new games.

Kirby Superscare! posted:

It's been a few days and I am still incredibly stoked to own a Nintendo Switch.

My only problem is how to deal with the upcoming months until it is released.

:yeah:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

youcallthatatwist posted:

Yeah, who even owns a 4K TV?

My biggest worry about the gaming industry right now is that both Sony and Microsoft are tripping over themselves to market towards young, affluent white men, what with SUPER GRAPHICS!!! and pricy peripherals that play $40 minigames and mid-generatiob console remasters and whatnot, and ignoring everyone else. Nintendo is the only one of the big three right now that tries to diversify their audience a little. I don't want consoles to just become shittier PCs that market themselves exclusively to a shrinking ~core audience~.

Lol, the people who call Nintendo's a gimimick, whilst strapping into a $400 VR set to play job simulator are great. I heard more VR hype then i have heard about it now that it launched. Glad nintendo resisted the urge make virtual boy 2 based on last years climate.

Good job N

(full disclosure, if x-wing mission is actually good and they make a full game of it, I would probably break down and but a $460 game)

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 23, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

There's a bunch of games I would buy straight up rereleases just to have an HD portable version. "Remasters" with more content would make me happy and would probably sell well, especially since no one owns a Wii U so they would feel like brand new games.

:same:

I've never even seen a Wii U, but damend if i don't wanna dip in to Windwaker / Twilight Princess remasters.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

my brother just bought a 50in 4k TV for $500, they are dirt cheap now

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

GreatGreen posted:

Why is everyone saying that Mario Maker can't be on the switch if it's not touch screen? Is it really be so impossible to imagine using, say, the left joystick to control the cursor and the right joystick to control the camera?

It's possible but it would be super tedious to decide on an item from the build palette, then move the cursor space by space until you reach it, then exit the palette and move from space to space to lay down the item. It adds time to the process and not in a meaningful or enjoyable way. There are so many equivalent things on the screen to interact with that the experience is one where traditional button inputs are not better.

Mario Maker is the kind of game where if you're playing for a long time, that time should be spent on building and not getting the cursor to where you want it.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Nintendo usually makes sure that the technology is plenty ready and cheap enough to make people okay to buy it. That's why they won't go with VR at least just yet.

coffeecup posted:

It's possible but it would be super tedious to decide on an item from the build palette, then move the cursor space by space until you reach it, then exit the palette and move from space to space to lay down the item. It adds time to the process and not in a meaningful or enjoyable way. There are so many equivalent things on the screen to interact with that the experience is one where traditional button inputs are not better.

Mario Maker is the kind of game where if you're playing for a long time, that time should be spent on building and not getting the cursor to where you want it.

Maybe a mouse peripheral?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wicka posted:

i don't think he was accusing you of that, just saying that PCs are more pricey than some people suggest

it's ok to pay more for quality things

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pureauthor posted:

Yep, most people watching it would have already picked up on the most important thing about the Switch: It is bad.

I'm eager to watch this bomb harder than the wii u :munch:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

bef posted:

Nothing Nintendo makes could bomb harder than that, unless they really do make a Virtual Boy 2. So you'll better get more popcorn.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
It's going to do better than the Wii U because it will combine the 3DS and Wii U bases, but there's a lot of overlap there so not a ton better.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
It's going to do great.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
It's going to be great.

it's going to do mediocre.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

bef posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0TQbRNmYus

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

BreakAtmo posted:

It's already happening just in the teaser video with Splatoon and Mario Kart. It's plenty likely, since it's a cheap, effective way to pad out the library - plus, Wii U owners would probably crack and re-buy for the portability. After the resources that were poured into a no of Wii U games, it would be silly not to bring them to a larger audience.

Commercials are the dreams of madmen, gravy for the brain; trust them not.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Bass Bottles posted:

It's going to do better than the Wii U because it will combine the 3DS and Wii U bases, but there's a lot of overlap there so not a ton better.

This is what I think as well, but if they try to support 2 portable systems like some people think they will do I can definitely see some issues.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bef posted:

What the heck?!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bombadilillo posted:

You said buy a 5 year pc over dealing with upgrade culture. I argue its cheaper even if you upgrade every time, then building a good pc that will actually last 5 years without looking like poo poo. A good 5 year pc is probably $1500-2000 easy. look up some 5 year old video cards for a laugh. Especially nintendo products have good tradein on the new console as well. 3ds to new 3ds cost ~$100 to upgrade. Consoles $200-300. console generations are getting sub-epocs not ending. (maybe xbone is truley ending). In all cases they are cheaper then a pc that lasts 5 years.

Consoles tend to get better looking games over their life, PC's performance drops dramatically, and it subjective at what point low settings on PC you count as lasting 5 years. so its all very debatable. but still more expensive/frustrating.

If you're starting from scratch and not being disingenuous, a good console setup is going to cost you £1200+ too once you factor in your nice big TV and sound system.

Also with the price of games you're delusional if you think pc gaming is more expensive.

I picked up Doom, Fallout 4 and Black Ops 3 for £60 total two months ago. All run with equivalent or slightly better performance than on consoles and I've netted a saving of at least £90 compared to someone getting them on said consoles.

Repeat that saving on pretty much every new game that comes out that's not a console exclusive and you can see how cost effective pc gaming is.

I'm still getting a Switch though, but it'll just be for the Nintendo exclusives like the WiiU was.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
All the adult gamers I've seen taking about this are psyched. They don't give a poo poo about graphics, they give a poo poo that is just all normal games with normal controls. These aren't Nintendo fans, they are the typical people who hate Nintendo since the Wii came out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

If you're starting from scratch and not being disingenuous, a good console setup is going to cost you £1200+ too once you factor in your nice big TV and sound system.

Also with the price of games you're delusional if you think pc gaming is more expensive.

I picked up Doom, Fallout 4 and Black Ops 3 for £60 total two months ago. All run with equivalent or slightly better performance than on consoles and I've netted a saving of at least £90 compared to someone getting them on said consoles.

Repeat that saving on pretty much every new game that comes out that's not a console exclusive and you can see how cost effective pc gaming is.

I'm still getting a Switch though, but it'll just be for the Nintendo exclusives like the WiiU was.

you can run a pc on a tv and probably should these days to avoid being a weirdo rotting away in his computer den so its the same cost for either system.

you can trade in console games or resell them and you get 20% off their price with amazon prime. pc sales are good its true. not paying for online is very bueno. nevertheless you can game the purchase and resale of physical media to get new major releases at launch, play them and sell them, for the same effective price as a humble sale 2 years later on pc.

not everyone has the same amount of money upfront and time/knowledge, and has the same interests and lifestyle. if pc guys already have a really nice pc they can probably afford to have all the systems and just be a chill guy who loves all games instead of tell people (who already know and don't care) how superior custom machines with open systems are to mass market ones with walled gardens.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's like saying a pack of hot dogs really is going to cost you $600 because you need a decent refrigerator. And more than that really because you need an apartment to keep the fridge in.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

That's like saying a pack of hot dogs really is going to cost you $600 because you need a decent refrigerator. And more than that really because you need an apartment to keep the fridge in.

:yeah:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

greatn posted:

and then i have to hire 3 hookers to play it with me

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

zolthorg posted:

and then i have to hire 3 hookers to play it with me

I'll give you a discount, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bombadilillo posted:

You said buy a 5 year pc over dealing with upgrade culture. I argue its cheaper even if you upgrade every time, then building a good pc that will actually last 5 years without looking like poo poo. A good 5 year pc is probably $1500-2000 easy. look up some 5 year old video cards for a laugh. Especially nintendo products have good tradein on the new console as well. 3ds to new 3ds cost ~$100 to upgrade. Consoles $200-300. console generations are getting sub-epocs not ending. (maybe xbone is truley ending). In all cases they are cheaper then a pc that lasts 5 years.

Consoles tend to get better looking games over their life, PC's performance drops dramatically, and it subjective at what point low settings on PC you count as lasting 5 years. so its all very debatable. but still more expensive/frustrating.

That's really not the case at all, these days you don't even need to upgrade every year unless you want to be on the bleeding edge; a top of the line 5 year old graphics card is under $200, and you're better off just getting a GTX 1050 with that money. You could build a rig for just as much as you'd buy a console and TV set-up and have it last you the whole console's lifespan and probably save a great deal on cheaper game prices.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kin posted:

being disingenuous is suggesting most people don't already have a TV, lmao

greatn posted:

yeah what this guy said

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I don't even own a television

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Chairman posted:

I don't even own a television

Vibroslap

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In order to play a game from scratch, first you must create the universe. ;) Just a little food for thought... enjoy your weekend, folks.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

it definitely costs 1000+ dollars for a 200 dollar samsung and a 100$ pair of headphones
believe it

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Please can we talk about the Splatoon hairdos because I want to be the pompadour squid

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The $400 PC builds are dumb because nobody should ever do them and they usually don't include the controller or windows install, both of which you would need to buy. Not including the monitor is fine-ish, maybe, but is another thing to consider.

On the other hand, you probably could have built something good for $800 around when the PS4 launched and it would have outperformed it for those nearly 4 years and would still be able to at least match if not outperform the Pro. It's different strokes for different folks in terms of even wanting a PC for non-gaming versus just using a tablet/phone and in terms of saving for and spending $800 at once versus spending $400 twice.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

Please can we talk about the Splatoon hairdos because I want to be the pompadour squid

most of them are about as ugly and bad as i predicted
it will make keeping track of the enemy teams weapons midmatch much easier tho

also they're going to be wigs that take up the hat slot like 99.9% sure

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

looked cool to me

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think being able to play mario kart against my coworkers at a table on the lunch break sounds cool and good

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tbh the fact that you really don't need a PC anymore means the cost of a gaming PC is higher, relative to the time when everyone needed some kind of PC to begin with, so it was just a question of whether you wanted to invest in a better rig. I dunno how most folks live but I pretty much only turn my PC on to play games nowadays.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Dr Cheeto posted:

Really hoping for a squidhawk. This is all I have wanted since the game launched.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't they have tentacles, not hair? How do they style tentacles?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Don't they have tentacles, not hair? How do they style tentacles?

Very creatively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Tbh the fact that you really don't need a PC anymore means the cost of a gaming PC is higher, relative to the time when everyone needed some kind of PC to begin with, so it was just a question of whether you wanted to invest in a better rig. I dunno how most folks live but I pretty much only turn my PC on to play games nowadays.

yeah my PC was off for like a month straight until civ 6 came out

• Locked thread