Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Snak posted:

I don't usually even level up until after I kill Gascoigne and Cleric Beast...

I have never beaten Bloodborne but I've probably played the first third of it 6 times, but I had never ever died to Gascoigne and always brick walled against BSB, until my current attempt to play it where I proceeded to die to Gascoigne like 40 times and then beat BSB on the first try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Feels like I'm forcing myself to play Andromeda at this point. I'm agreeing with the reviewers about everything being buried under a layer of tedium. For example you're given a bunch of blueprints at the start to craft gear but you don't have any materials. And the way you get materials is running around finding random merchants that sell it and hope you have enough credits or travel around looking for nodes and using a drone. The latter method requires traveling uninteresting environments or watching unskippable travel cutscenes.

Some goons said the game finally picks up after the first 3 planets but I'm not too hopeful at this point

Like it's not super functionally different from Inquisition but I was engaged enough in that to do a bunch of sidequests, here I'm just doing the main plot and nothing else

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Horizon is no Nier but it's still pretty good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lakbay posted:

Feels like I'm forcing myself to play Andromeda at this point. I'm agreeing with the reviewers about everything being buried under a layer of tedium. For example you're given a bunch of blueprints at the start to craft gear but you don't have any materials. And the way you get materials is running around finding random merchants that sell it and hope you have enough credits or travel around looking for nodes and using a drone. The latter method requires traveling uninteresting environments or watching unskippable travel cutscenes.

Some goons said the game finally picks up after the first 3 planets but I'm not too hopeful at this point

"Wouldn't you know it, the game picks up at exactly the stage I'm at now" say goons who have not minded Andromeda at any other point, either.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

revolther posted:

Ugh I'm wanting to splurge 60 bucks on a game but neither Horizon or Andromeda feels worth that much..

You're only half right.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

exquisite tea posted:

"Wouldn't you know it, the game picks up at exactly the stage I'm at now" say goons who have not minded Andromeda at any other point, either.

I know goons like anything or will soldier through even lovely games because of their sunk cost fallacy but Bioware games that I've enjoyed had slow starts and Nier Automata had a slow start and that's currently my GOTY so I'm giving this a chance

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I should get around to Nier but after Horizon and Night in the Woods I'm kinda done with depressing "we're all gonna die" stories.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Horizon ends pretty positively though?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks for spoiling Horizon and Night in the Woods rear end in a top hat

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Thanks for spoiling Horizon and Night in the Woods rear end in a top hat

I'm also spoiling real life.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:stare:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I'm also spoiling real life.

Well, that's me not bothering to finish it anymore. Thanks a lot fucker.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

Well, that's me not bothering to finish it anymore. Thanks a lot fucker.

drat, you got the secret ending.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

exquisite tea posted:

I should get around to Nier but after Horizon and Night in the Woods I'm kinda done with depressing "we're all gonna die" stories.

....does Night in the Woods have a depressing end? It looks cozy, I was interested in getting it on the basis of it looking cozy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there really no OS level way to mute your microphone on the PS4? That seems like a glaring oversight...but I guess I am used to those.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

....does Night in the Woods have a depressing end? It looks cozy, I was interested in getting it on the basis of it looking cozy.

It's not a tragedy but its themes could best be encapsulated by the statement "life is meaningless, ha ha."

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there really no OS level way to mute your microphone on the PS4? That seems like a glaring oversight...but I guess I am used to those.

I think there was? Maybe i'm remembering wrong but I believe I could mute myself in party chat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sefal posted:

I think there was? Maybe i'm remembering wrong but I believe I could mute myself in party chat.

There's an option buried in the menu somewhere that I used to turn off the mic on my camera, but it's no substitute for an inline mute switch.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sefal posted:

Party chat yeah but I mean totally mute it across everything because I never want it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Party chat yeah but I mean totally mute it across everything because I never want it.

In the 'Sound' option in the sidebar menu there is a checkbox for "Turn off camera mic" or something like that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lumpy posted:

In the 'Sound' option in the sidebar menu there is a checkbox for "Turn off camera mic" or something like that.
It's not a PlayStation camera, it's a Sound Blaster E5 that happens to have a built in microphone.

It's an intriguing device but its interactions with the PS4 are mysterious to me sometimes.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Horizon is a beautiful game with a dismal UI, tedious trade system(which they started fixing I. E wires) too much inventory management, needless crafting, long load times, bad camera and weird video gamey climbing spots.

I didn't care for it. Finished it after Nier tho, so..

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Beautiful game with great combat and terrible inventory UI. The UI otherwise was fine. And the camera was good too... not getting that post.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CuddlyZombie posted:

It's more that it has depressing themes than a depressing ending. The main thread is basically about Millennials realizing how hopeless their future prospects are (the Millennials just happen to be cute animals too).

mycot fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 23, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Beautiful game with great combat and terrible inventory UI. The UI otherwise was fine. And the camera was good too... not getting that post.

It wasn't. I sure love enemies doing the stupid charge move and me not seeing poo poo (like in that tiny thundermaw cauldron where the camera basically shat itself while I died offscreen) and I sure loveeee the way point option that spazzes out and I sure loved that weapon wheel with an analog stick. Why no button to change the drat ammo types?

In my opinion, it was pretty poo poo.

For a Triple A Title, parts of it were less polished than Nier Automata, a shoestring budget game.

:aslol: at hold X to sell.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 23, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I had zero issues with the horizon camera.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Horizon is a beautiful game with a dismal UI, tedious trade system(which they started fixing I. E wires) too much inventory management, needless crafting, long load times, bad camera and weird video gamey climbing spots.

I didn't care for it. Finished it after Nier tho, so..

I'm feeling these complaints to. I was super excited about it and guess I just got too high expectations? Im coming of Breath of the Wild though, and the video gamey rocks I cant climb that my character super could are really pissing me off. Maybe every open world game will piss me off forever now. I feel like I just started out but am like 20% complete according to the game and it still hasn't grabbed me yet. I was really really looking forward to this, since the first videos of it came out.

Is there a monster hunter style cripple specific parts way to get drops? Or do I just have to kill a lot of the things to get a bellowback heart to drop (for example).

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It wasn't. I sure love enemies doing the stupid charge move and me not seeing poo poo (like in that tiny thundermaw cauldron where the camera basically shat itself while I died offscreen) and I sure loveeee the way point option that spazzes out and I sure loved that weapon wheel with an analog stick. Why no button to change the drat ammo types?

In my opinion, it was pretty poo poo.

For a Triple A Title, parts of it were less polished than Nier Automata, a shoestring budget game.

I never had a problem with the camera and the waypoints never spazzed out on me.. It's live updating the waypoint to try to get you the most simple route based on the road systems nearby. I do agree with you on the ammo wheel. Maybe it's a dead zone thing but I feel like I really have to jam a direction to choose an ammo type, and I miss the one I'm going for quite a lot.

But saying Horizon isn't polished is just incorrect and makes you come off as someone trying to start an argument.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm feeling these complaints to. I was super excited about it and guess I just got too high expectations? Im coming of Breath of the Wild though, and the video gamey rocks I cant climb that my character super could are really pissing me off. Maybe every open world game will piss me off forever now. I feel like I just started out but am like 20% complete according to the game and it still hasn't grabbed me yet. I was really really looking forward to this, since the first videos of it came out.

Is there a monster hunter style cripple specific parts way to get drops? Or do I just have to kill a lot of the things to get a bellowback heart to drop (for example).

If the item you want to buy requires a Bellowback Heart or whatever, you can press Square to make it an active job, and the next Bellowback you kill will drop one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There are options to change the waypoint behavior in the options. I did have issues sometimes with large machines in tight quarters but camera problems caused me to die maybe three or four times the entire game

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

CRAYON posted:

But saying Horizon isn't polished is just incorrect and makes you come off as someone trying to start an argument.

It felt unpolished to me for the marketing and budget it got. It's not an argument, it's my opinion

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

exquisite tea posted:

If the item you want to buy requires a Bellowback Heart or whatever, you can press Square to make it an active job, and the next Bellowback you kill will drop one.

WTF! Why is that never explained? Or maybe I didn't get there. I saw that option in crafting. Can I do that too so the next fish has a drat bone in it?

Thanks for that, that alleviates a lot of annoyance.

EDIT: I did do a hunt thing where every boar now dropped a skin, maybe I was supposed to grock that my objective makes those drop from that? Cause I just thought "cool it didn't make me kill 1000 boars, thanks game".

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 23, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's still random chance, I'm pretty sure setting it as job shows the next hunting ground, but it's still rng. At least it didn't do that when I was grinding snap jaw hearts for a bow or whatever

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Horizon's weapon/ammo wheel is the first radial menu I haven't hated. I've hated radial menus since the first one I encountered, back in Deus Ex: Invisible War.

I think it being offset from the middle of the screen and still allowing me to see while I'm using it is a big factor.

I'm not seeing how a "switch ammo button" would be practical to cycle between twelve types of ammo...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Personally I've never not had the thing I'm looking for spawn almost immediately after killing whatever I needed for the crafting component, so I feel like it has to be an elevated chance or something.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's three ammo types per weapon. Come on, a normal 4 segment wheel and a button to change ammo without using the wheel. Just let me cycle through it on a weapon basis

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Do any headsets actually connect to the ps4 wirelessly without a dingle? Just curious.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's three ammo types per weapon. Come on, a normal 4 segment wheel and a button to change ammo without using the wheel. Just let me cycle through it on a weapon basis

I mean, it's a really simplistic system and time slows down almost to 0 while you're switching ammo types. I haven't gotten that far into Nier but I find the monochromatic inventory with all abbreviated chip names way more confusing to manage, so it's interesting you brought that up as superior.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I mean, it's a really simplistic system and time slows down almost to 0 while you're switching ammo types. I haven't gotten that far into Nier but I find the monochromatic inventory with all abbreviated chip names way more confusing to manage, so it's interesting you brought that up as superior.

You change chips every few hours and Weapons never in combat outside the quick menu. You can sort stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

I really hate the chip management inventory system. Holy poo poo. The system itself, of chips, if cool, but the menu for managing them is like, abysmal. It takes like 3 extra button presses to do anything and information is not presented in any kind of convenient fashion.