Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I think they've managed to do a lot to bring down the cost of getting plastic molds up and running, but rumour had it that the original mold for the new-style Land Raider (the 3rd edition one) didn't pay for itself for a decade because it was so complex. Nowadays that's one of the simpler kits they sell.

Also if anyone's picked up the new WD - Jay Goldfinch who is in there giving advice on painting Crimson Fists is another ex-Bristol boy who used to be a big part of the local club. He once asked me for advice on painting CFs and I don't think I've ever felt less adequate to answer a question in my entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Corrode posted:

I think they've managed to do a lot to bring down the cost of getting plastic molds up and running, but rumour had it that the original mold for the new-style Land Raider (the 3rd edition one) didn't pay for itself for a decade because it was so complex. Nowadays that's one of the simpler kits they sell.

Also if anyone's picked up the new WD - Jay Goldfinch who is in there giving advice on painting Crimson Fists is another ex-Bristol boy who used to be a big part of the local club. He once asked me for advice on painting CFs and I don't think I've ever felt less adequate to answer a question in my entire life.

You in Bristol? Where do you play? BIG?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

You in Bristol? Where do you play? BIG?

Yeah at BIG, I'm only just back playing again (I've had like 6 games of 8th). Half the terrain they use is mine, it's cool seeing it get used. Do you get down there much?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Corrode posted:

Yeah at BIG, I'm only just back playing again (I've had like 6 games of 8th). Half the terrain they use is mine, it's cool seeing it get used. Do you get down there much?

I do, although it used to mainly be as part of the Warmachine community, although it appears I've switched allegiance to 40k and AoS in the last few months. I'm a fairly new player having not played any 40k since 3rd edition. Be good to fix up a game sometime. I was supposed to be down there this weekend but a family emergency put paid to that.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah PM me, we'll arrange something.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

HerrBrau posted:

tl;dr: You should try KoW. All WHFB minis armies are allowed, buying Mantic models is not required.

Oh for sure. I was big into WHFB so I definitively have enough stuff to play, but getting someone to purchase their own army was always a problem. The local AoS players are all younger guys so mainly just have that kind of stuff. Not having all the WHFB stuff available on the store shelves at my FLGS makes it hard to make that first impulse buy happen.

I hope to play one day so I still work on repainting/expanding my Beastmen. :gbsmith:

Shadin posted:

Just curious, how'd they tank their retailer relations?

It had been covered, but launching kickstarter after kickstarter so all the customers who care about a product have all they could want for a rock bottom price is a dick move. I get it from Mantics standpoint, but it also pretty much guaranteed that all their products have no penetration beyond the initial kickstarter backers.

My store used to be the FLGS for decades, so I totally get why stores don't carry it. The margins on gaming stuff isn't great so having lower prices for a worse product isn't really so good. Without the volume of sales that GW can pull in pretty much any game is going to have a big problem justifying shelf space. War Machines sudden implosion hasn't helped either.

Imagine going into a store having never seen a tabletop game and seeing both Plague Marines from the new 40k starter and a unit of Mantic elves. What company would you choose for your budding hobby allegiance?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Corrode posted:

Yeah PM me, we'll arrange something.

Despite being on SA since 2001 I've not got PMs. I'm on the FB group for BIG 40k though.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

Despite being on SA since 2001 I've not got PMs. I'm on the FB group for BIG 40k though.

I'll make a stairs post.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Corrode posted:

I'll make a stairs post.

Nice.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

Well they can move, and are effective while doing so. If I need to hold a point the tarantulas are fine, but usually I'd rather be mobile.

How survivable are the Aggressors? Two wounds doesn't seem like enough.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How survivable are the Aggressors? Two wounds doesn't seem like enough.

It isnt. Point for point tarantulas are basically twice as tough as aggressors but they're worse shots and have that whole must shoot the closest target rule. If you just want to defend a point then yeah the tarantulas wins hands down. Aggressors have a lot of flexibility to make up for it though since if something large decides to move near an asscan tarantula its basically useless from then on, but aggressors can powerfist charge it and put a serious dent in or kill tanks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

It isnt. Point for point tarantulas are basically twice as tough as aggressors but they're worse shots and have that whole must shoot the closest target rule. If you just want to defend a point then yeah the tarantulas wins hands down. Aggressors have a lot of flexibility to make up for it though since if something large decides to move near an asscan tarantula its basically useless from then on, but aggressors can powerfist charge it and put a serious dent in or kill tanks.

FW hosed up the rules. The only things that have to shoot the closest target are heavy bolters and lascannons.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

FW hosed up the rules. The only things that have to shoot the closest target are heavy bolters and lascannons.

Of course they did.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Lord_Hambrose posted:

War Machines sudden implosion hasn't helped either.

Is there a death thread for PP?
I tried looking into this because I want to gloat but I couldn't find anything that puts it all together, just little bits that imply bigger issues.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DiHK posted:

Is there a death thread for PP?
I tried looking into this because I want to gloat but I couldn't find anything that puts it all together, just little bits that imply bigger issues.

I dont think theres a post mortem or anything but the short version seems to be that Mark 3 was let out of the oven half baked. A lot of poorly written rules and bad faction balance, including one faction that was in such a bad place it had to be rewritten from the ground up.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
gently caress it, use aggressors on principle of not encouraging forgeworlds utter bullshit.

The local cheeselords realised that the chaplain dreadnought can be screened by infantry and given the armour indomitus, and the worst part is I'm the one picking it up for him.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Question for Space Marine players - I've never really ran bikes before, but I just picked up 7 NoS today for $20 (the old 1996 ones).

How can I kit these guys out to best complement my Howling Griffons?

Can they take close combat weapons, or are they pretty much a shooty unit?

I use the bike costs as a "tax" to give me a mobile delivery system for the special weapons they can carry. They can get two specials and a combi-Weapon on the sarge even in a min squad of 5. The bikes give them survivability and mobility to get those weapons where you want them to go. Triple plasma with a biker Captain nearby for rerolls, or triple grav guns or max melta guns with a multi-melta Attack Bike. You could do close combat with them too, with chainswords and a nearby biker Chaplain, but I think they're better used as a mobile shooting platform, and leave the CC stuff to jump pack Vanguard Vets and/or a melee specialty unit pouring out of a LRC.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I had a ridiculous situation last night where a squad of Primaris hellblasters were being charged by my friend's Tyranid shrikes so I figured they were more or less dead and decided to overcharge the rapid-fire plasma incinerators and one marine died as a result of rolling a one BUT a nearby Primaris captain helped him reassemble himself with a re-roll and he rolled a one AGAIN and died but then he looked up at the nearby Primaris ancient's banner and saw the light of the Emperor on a successful 4+ roll so he rolled to shoot again with rapid fire and AGAIN he rolls a one and explodes BUT the captain saves him from himself and he fires his last shot and kills a shrike and dies for the fourth time

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

I had a ridiculous situation last night where a squad of Primaris hellblasters were being charged by my friend's Tyranid shrikes so I figured they were more or less dead and decided to overcharge the rapid-fire plasma incinerators and one marine died as a result of rolling a one BUT a nearby Primaris captain helped him reassemble himself with a re-roll and he rolled a one AGAIN and died but then he looked up at the nearby Primaris ancient's banner and saw the light of the Emperor on a successful 4+ roll so he rolled to shoot again with rapid fire and AGAIN he rolls a one and explodes BUT the captain saves him from himself and he fires his last shot and kills a shrike and dies for the fourth time

So you got rid of those dice, right?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Me and my friend were just howling with stupid laughter and I was shouting out "GOAAAAAAAAAAL!"

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

goose willis posted:

Sounds like it's time to pick up a bignaught. Dude has earned himself an internment in a sarcophagus. He's already serving in death! :patriot:

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

What are the detachment rules for taking a fortification, specifically for Chaos? I want to include a Chaos Bastion in a CSM force, but Battlescribe doesn't really give that as an option. The Index just lists it in its own section and the Codex doesn't mention it at all.

On the plus side it was extremely fun to paint:

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Take the fortification network detachment.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Nifara posted:

Take the fortification network detachment.

Oh duh. Thanks!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Just for fun and/or painting practice I'm gonna buy this ginormo bag of cheap 1-inch tall green plastic army men for like five bucks and see what I can do with them

Has anyone done this before

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dont think theres a post mortem or anything but the short version seems to be that Mark 3 was let out of the oven half baked. A lot of poorly written rules and bad faction balance, including one faction that was in such a bad place it had to be rewritten from the ground up.

I was really stunned how well gw handled the rollout for 8e after going through warmachines launch. The leading theory is that the edition change was going to leak so it got rushed out.

There was a pretty big gap where nobody bought anything because new edition. At my store nobody really played either. And it never recovered from there.

I think they also were kinda at the peak of their player base. It's a competitive game and casual gamers weren't going to hop on board. They also didn't have the massive reserve of players gw had that still loved the universe but didn't play 40k because it was poo poo and gw poo poo on their customers. That kinda meant GW could easily absorb people quitting with people like me willing to give them another shot after a long hiatus. PP didn't have the same luxury.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

goose willis posted:

Just for fun and/or painting practice I'm gonna buy this ginormo bag of cheap 1-inch tall green plastic army men for like five bucks and see what I can do with them

Has anyone done this before

One thing about this is painting objects with very few (and relatively shallow/undefined) features doesn't really help with learning detailing if you're trying to apply it to other models later. If you want models for batch practice you could get like 20 IoB Skaven or other older bulk models for like $10 and it would translate a bit better.

I just started into my 66 Poxwalker models today. Why do I always go for the horde option :negative:

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
40k Goons, I need your help!

A close friend of mine passed away a few weeks ago, and prior to that he had asked me to take care of his games. I was under the impression that he had meant just his board game collection, but apparently that included a fairly massive amount of miniatures as well. My GF and I are trying to sort through and document everything before we sell it for his family, and I was hoping that you all could give some input on prices. A fair amount of the models are older and/or out of print, and I haven't been in the 40k scene for probably 20 years.

I'm still documenting a massive amount of Orks and Space Wolves, but can anyone help out with a valuation of these Mordian Imperial Guard dudes? They're painted pretty decently.

Overview:

Close-ups:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Big McHuge posted:

Cool poo poo
:stare:

GW straight up doesnt sell mordian heavy weapons or any of those commissars anymore, the sole las cannon on ebay is listed for £15 and the regular guys are £20 for 10 in metal, so combined with the nice paint job I'm going to hazard a guess at "a whole loving mound of cash".

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

my kinda ape posted:

I stopped reading the thread just before the first 8th edition codex was released. How much do the new codexes add? Are they similar to the old codexes and add a lot more rules or are they just tweaked versions of what we got in the indexes plus a few wargear artifacts?

Anybody?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pretty much, few balance changes and the odd new unit using existing models like marine lieutenants and dreadknight grandmasters, stratagems/relics/chapter rules/etc and unlike the index the units are sorted in something approaching a sane fashion.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Each faction gets bumped to 6 Psyker powers, a whole lot of warlord traits and stratagems, and a special defining rule for each faction's subfactions. Especially the stratagems, which add a ton of tactical depth to each faction and let you shift your strategy on the fly.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Points and rules are revised, army traits, stratagems, objectives, psyker powers, and artifacts are added. Things are significantly more fleshed out and the army abilities "click" better than in the index.

Index armies are certainly playable, but the difference is big enough I'd give the index armies a points advantage while playing against codex otherwise it's unfairly skewed. This would be a bigger problem if they weren't releasing codices at breakneck speed, but I'm sure some armies will be waiting long enough for it to be an annoyance.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Big McHuge posted:

A close friend of mine passed away a few weeks ago, and prior to that he had asked me to take care of his games. I was under the impression that he had meant just his board game collection, but apparently that included a fairly massive amount of miniatures as well. My GF and I are trying to sort through and document everything before we sell it for his family, and I was hoping that you all could give some input on prices. A fair amount of the models are older and/or out of print, and I haven't been in the 40k scene for probably 20 years.

I'm still documenting a massive amount of Orks and Space Wolves, but can anyone help out with a valuation of these Mordian Imperial Guard dudes? They're painted pretty decently.

Overview:

Close-ups:

Dude an entire Mordian army

:captainpop:

For the regular dudes you can get at LEAST $2 per soldier, maybe $2.50.

The heavy weapon teams could probably go for maybe $12.50-$15.

Special weapons and characters for about $10.

So add that all up cause it's a good amount of cash. I'm fighting the urge to give you an offer myself.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Goddamn that Mordian army is totally insane. Well painted, good shape, lots of models.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Holy gently caress I forgot Mordians were even a regiment

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Those models belong in a museum

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

By the way what do you all think of Mantic's newest faction kit: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/deadzone/gcps/product/gcps-faction-starter.html

For the price of one box of like Cadians you get twice as many dudes and two heavy weapons teams and a couple of character guys

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Artum posted:

Pretty much, few balance changes and the odd new unit using existing models like marine lieutenants and dreadknight grandmasters, stratagems/relics/chapter rules/etc and unlike the index the units are sorted in something approaching a sane fashion.

The Bee posted:

Each faction gets bumped to 6 Psyker powers, a whole lot of warlord traits and stratagems, and a special defining rule for each faction's subfactions. Especially the stratagems, which add a ton of tactical depth to each faction and let you shift your strategy on the fly.

PierreTheMime posted:

Points and rules are revised, army traits, stratagems, objectives, psyker powers, and artifacts are added. Things are significantly more fleshed out and the army abilities "click" better than in the index.

Index armies are certainly playable, but the difference is big enough I'd give the index armies a points advantage while playing against codex otherwise it's unfairly skewed. This would be a bigger problem if they weren't releasing codices at breakneck speed, but I'm sure some armies will be waiting long enough for it to be an annoyance.

Thank you friends. And good to hear that they're actually making the codexes worthwhile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Big McHuge posted:

A close friend of mine passed away a few weeks ago, and prior to that he had asked me to take care of his games.

I've done this when a friend passed away as well and his collection spanned multiple rooms.

A little advice, don't worry about maximizing the money raised, just doing something so that his/her family doesn't need to worry about it is a huge a wonderful thing to do for them.

Good for you for doing this.