Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

th3t00t posted:

They cleansed the taint without the TP though. (lol)

I thought the TP combined with both halves of the OP made the perfect seal, and had nothing to do with protection from the taint.

Being in a circle of men + women may have prevented the tainting of Saidin, like how it provides a buffer against the taint when using callandor.

The DO may not have had the strength to break though that buffer and taint both sides.

The taint was cleansed without the TP (yep that is a lol) because the taint was repelled by the evil that is Shador Logoth. Rand learned this because of the never-healing wound and the two powers touching each other. The TP was needed to build the seal because they use it to touch the dark one and then use both halves together to build the seal on top of the buffer. This way the OP doesn't actually touch the Dark One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

th3t00t posted:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

judkins must know the crime he has committed, depriving the masses of the taint

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Let’s start a Twitter petition. #bringbackthetaint

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

th3t00t posted:

Different circumstances. The DO was able to touch saidin and taint it because the bore was unsealed. Once it was sealed, the DO cannot directly touch reality anymore.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Mage_Boy posted:

The taint was cleansed without the TP (yep that is a lol) because the taint was repelled by the evil that is Shador Logoth. Rand learned this because of the never-healing wound and the two powers touching each other. The TP was needed to build the seal because they use it to touch the dark one and then use both halves together to build the seal on top of the buffer. This way the OP doesn't actually touch the Dark One.
Rand was able to funnel the entire taint through Saidar and scrape it off with shadar logoth. The whole taint (lol) touched saidar all at once and saidar was fine.

From the wiki:
"Rand's strategy was to create a funnel of saidar from the Source of saidin to Shadar Logoth, and when he guided saidar to that goal, it created something he had not directly intended. Rather than a tunnel as he thought would appear, saidar was actually just an intricate, flowery-looking shape which was a tunnel of infinite and zero distance only relative to the Source and Shadar Logoth; from any other vantage point, it looked nothing like a conduit. Saidin flowed very easily into the conduit, and the taint began to slide off of saidin into Shadar Logoth. Rand's theory was, that after channeling enough of saidin into the conduit, the taint would be drawn in its entirety towards a similar, yet polar opposite sort of taint; the evil residue of Shadar Logoth. After that, he would merely need to keep a steady flow of saidin going through the conduit, and the taint would automatically be pulled into Shadar Logoth so long as he kept saidin touched directly to the evil of the city. Fortunately, the plan worked exactly as predicted."

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

SerSpook posted:

judkins must know the crime he has committed, depriving the masses of the taint

maybe some stiffs at amazon said get rid of the taint

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Anias posted:

Then the fear is that the dragon will break saidar like they broke saidin, and every aes sedai will go mad. Compelling.

i like this explanation. or, after i saw that clip i wondered if the show could stretch out the reveal by having moiraine want to believe eg or nyn are the dragon for a bit since it would make things easier

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

overall i feel like it's an easy way for them to change it to make it more welcoming to a variety of viewers while also taking advantage of the medium to make it more of an actual mystery for first time people

if you're selling the series as being pretty forward with women compared to others it's an easy slam dunk to at least float the idea that the Super Special Chosen One might be a woman as well even if they're not changing anything about the actual events in response to it

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

It doesn't matter if it would have worked, the pattern would never have allowed it to happen because they you don't have the circumstances for Rand's birth, the last battle, etc.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I like that they've added women to the list of potentially being the dragon reborn. Good change.

Kind of ties in with a lot of the theories about Nakomi.

"Amaresu, Champion of the Light
This theory expands on the Hero of the Horn theory, specifically speculating that she is an incarnation of Amaresu, who was stated by Robert Jordan to be the female champion of the Light when the Pattern needs a woman instead of a man (the Dragon) as its primary savior.[3] Nakomi could be an incarnation of Amaresu with a link to the Aiel in a specific Age. Her appearance at Tarmon Gai'don thus represents the cosmology of the world which features both male and female champions of the Light, with Nakomi being the female champion of Light seeing to the end of the Third Age."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Anias posted:

Then the fear is that the dragon will break saidar like they broke saidin, and every aes sedai will go mad. Compelling.

This fear doesn't work at all, imo.

The thing about the madness is that the Dragon Reborn, the prophesied savior of the world, is a madman. A ridiculously powerful madman who cannot and must not be restrained because to do so would doom the world. And so you just have to let it ride, trusting that he'll be able to cling to what's left of his sanity long enough to get the job done and hoping that you won't be collateral damage if he slips.

That's an entirely different vibe than "Well the Chosen One is perfectly fine but if we lose this one the other half of the wizards will go insane afterwards."

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

if you're selling the series as being pretty forward with women compared to others it's an easy slam dunk to at least float the idea that the Super Special Chosen One might be a woman as well

:colbert: they already got women dominating the world from vagina island

i feel like thats plenty of girl power and they should leave rand canon alone

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hexel posted:

Rand's going to be the Dragon Reborn, don't get your panties in a twist over it. The only thing they're doing is trying to make it a mystery to new viewers who it might be so that when they reveal it to be Rand there's a chance people are surprised by it, unlike us book readers where it was obvious from like chapter 6 of Eye of the World who the Dragon Reborn was going to be.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Khizan posted:

This fear doesn't work at all, imo.

The thing about the madness is that the Dragon Reborn, the prophesied savior of the world, is a madman. A ridiculously powerful madman who cannot and must not be restrained because to do so would doom the world. And so you just have to let it ride, trusting that he'll be able to cling to what's left of his sanity long enough to get the job done and hoping that you won't be collateral damage if he slips.

That's an entirely different vibe than "Well the Chosen One is perfectly fine but if we lose this one the other half of the wizards will go insane afterwards."

I disagree. The dragon’s fang is in the public consciousness as a marker of evil. People who know the prophecy of the Dragon know it’s all about how the Dragon will gently caress everything up. How that happens isn’t as important to people - the Dragon’s coming is tied directly with misery and death and that’s enough to get people to worry.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Most people in the world of Randland barely know anything about channeling or the one power at all, but they know "the dragon means poo poo is hosed"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hexel posted:

they removed the taint already, can we really trust them to keep the vagina island

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Khizan posted:

if i learned that an immensely powerful wizard who went completely insane and then turned himself into a volcano had been reborn i dont think the gender of the body he was born into would matter to me

like we all think its obvious that the dragon reborn would have his own memories/thoughts and might or might not go insane AGAIN, but its way more intuitive that this insane guy is just back in a new body but still ready to go buckwild no matter what gender it is

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

while i doubt it'll matter a ton in practicality beyond this initial mystery for newcomers, it's still nice that souls don't have a One True Gender anymore

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ChubbyChecker posted:

they removed the taint already, can we really trust them to keep the vagina island

If the tower they showed in one of the first trailers is right, then they put a cock and balls right in the middle of Tar Valon. So who knows?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

you aren't meant to put the balls in!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Most of the Prophecies of the Dragon are pretty explicit in calling the Dragon Reborn a man. I wonder if they will replace all the instances of "he/him/etc" with they. Or simply skip a lot of them, since they mostly don't appear in natural conversations, but as book enders or starters.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Saidin was gooched because it was the half of the power used, that's it. If women were there than saidar would also have been tweenised.

Yeah, the whole world was pretty close to getting chadded. Thankfully, the pattern wouldn't accept that much grundle, so Rand had a chance to set things right.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yeah, the whole world was pretty close to getting chadded. Thankfully, the pattern wouldn't accept that much grundle, so Rand had a chance to set things right.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

man, woman, whatever, but if we lose that amazing line 'all that was will burn in the fire of his (or her) eyes' i will be momentarily annoyed and maybe even post about it :colbert:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

man, woman, whatever, but if we lose that amazing line 'all that was will burn in the fire of his (or her) eyes' i will be momentarily annoyed and maybe even post about it :colbert:

yeah they could just use the masculine and do a thing where a character says that in the old tongue it could really be either gender, or that it was just assumed because LTT was a man, or whatever hand-wave is necessary

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Torrannor posted:

Most of the Prophecies of the Dragon are pretty explicit in calling the Dragon Reborn a man. I wonder if they will replace all the instances of "he/him/etc" with they. Or simply skip a lot of them, since they mostly don't appear in natural conversations, but as book enders or starters.

They're going to use xi / xir pronouns, and also begin every prophecy with an indigenous land acknowledgement.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i guess what i'm saying is it matters more to me whether it's a compelling, well-acted story than the specific gender of any given character :shrug:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i guess what i'm saying is it matters more to me whether it's a compelling, well-acted story than the specific gender of any given character :shrug:

Giving way too much of a poo poo about gender is kind of a core aspect of WoT

Probably it's biggest problem.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
if i didnt know poo poo about WoT and I looked at Rand the way they are presenting him, I'd just think "He's The Archer. That's The Archer Man."

th3t00t posted:

still laughing at this after scrolling through. it's the simple things

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Brolander posted:

if i didnt know poo poo about WoT and I looked at Rand the way they are presenting him, I'd just think "He's The Archer. That's The Archer Man."

i mean that's probably (definitely) intentional, and it's nice that they seem to be making an effort to give SOME mystery to who dragon is

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i mean that's probably (definitely) intentional, and it's nice that they seem to be making an effort to give SOME mystery to who dragon is

I'm not entirely sure why they are. It's not like it was ever a mystery in the books. TV needs more of a hook? From the episode titles it looks like it will be a mystery for all of 3 episodes.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

How are u posted:

I'm not entirely sure why they are. It's not like it was ever a mystery in the books. TV needs more of a hook? From the episode titles it looks like it will be a mystery for all of 3 episodes.

trying to think of a big budget fantasy series with a dramatic twist midway through the first season to hook everyone…

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Rand could easily make it half the season as just Egwene’s dopey boyfriend from their small town who is fated to either sacrifice himself for her or be heartbroken and turn evil once she realizes there’s more to life than farming and inn keeping.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Rand could easily make it half the season as just Egwene’s dopey boyfriend from their small town who is fated to either sacrifice himself for her or be heartbroken and turn evil once she realizes there’s more to life than farming and inn keeping.

randwyn

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

They could definitely hide some of his early fate-related inner demons and such under the guise of "he sad Egwene outgrew him"

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

How are u posted:

I suggested that earlier, it was pointed out that the Dragon Reborn referenced in the title of episode 3 is probably Logain (i.e. it's the lore episode establishing who/what the Dragon is, with Logain as the lens character). While it's possible that they are making it a secret in all of the leadoff marketing only to blow it literally on day 1, there's no reason to assume that it's going to be revealed in episode 3 just because of the name.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Well I hope not, the longer they draw it out the sillier it is going to be.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

How are u posted:

Well I hope not, the longer they draw it out the sillier it is going to be.

I'm hoping they can make it to the season finale, there's no way they can keep it a secret beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

You do that and you're going to get people wondering why the series is "suddenly about this dork now".