Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At my last job, I got a flyer for an art contest by an org called Negative Population Growth. The theme was "Too Many People!" I was disgusted and threw it in the trash.

So I looked them up, and the org was founded in 1971 by a guy named Donald Mann. He ran the org until he died in 2021, at the age of 99, with several children. Whaddaya know, the org is mainly concerned with advocating against immigration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

Don't forget the god emperor of the federation, stacey abrams

Excuse me, but Stacy Abrams was the God Empress of Earth, not the whole Federation. And she existed for two minutes to do 2 things: 1) give Michael Burnham a gold medal and celebratory high five for winning at Space forever, and 2) piss off Ted Cruz. Then she disappeared and was never seen or heard from again.

Mission Accomplished

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's funny how TNG makes Star Fleet feel so incredibly human. There's not really a sense of "you're with a large group of different people" when say people kick off at Worf for being with humans.
DS9 does it at times too.

It's an amalgamation of tonnes of species, what are you doing guys!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Taear posted:

what are you doing guys!

Staying in budget.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I imagine some species tend to group together. There was that ship with a vulcan crew, but that was captained by a racist. I heard there's a ship full of horta as well, that probably came from a novel. It's probably a lot easier to serve with people with similar physical and dietary requirements and cultural norms. I'd hate to be roommates with that species that visited DS9 one time and the atmosphere in their quarters was so toxic it dissolved the carpet. It would be nice to see some of those ships occasionally, especially if they're not captained by Captain Pointy Earred Racist.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lower bunking in an economy triple with a Medusan and one of those mud bath aliens

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How do Medusans get around most of the time? Like, it seems like they're good at navigation but Zero on PRO seems to need their exosuit thing not just to protect others from looking at them directly, but also to just, like, do stuff that involves physical interaction?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I imagine some species tend to group together. There was that ship with a vulcan crew, but that was captained by a racist. I heard there's a ship full of horta as well, that probably came from a novel. It's probably a lot easier to serve with people with similar physical and dietary requirements and cultural norms. I'd hate to be roommates with that species that visited DS9 one time and the atmosphere in their quarters was so toxic it dissolved the carpet. It would be nice to see some of those ships occasionally, especially if they're not captained by Captain Pointy Earred Racist.

Unfortunately budget is a thing. Just look at how many non-humans were on the Cerritos on Lower Decks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

How do Medusans get around most of the time? Like, it seems like they're good at navigation but Zero on PRO seems to need their exosuit thing not just to protect others from looking at them directly, but also to just, like, do stuff that involves physical interaction?

I don't know that they normally do much interacting with solid physical matter. Medusan starships were deliberately designed to look very Federation-ish on the idea that the Federation actually built them for them.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Shockingly, Star Trek is a show that was made by humans in the current era, not a historical document sent 300 years in to the past. Crazy, I know, but its true!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Hunter Noventa posted:

Unfortunately budget is a thing. Just look at how many non-humans were on the Cerritos on Lower Decks.

Boy, you’d better not let the Thermians hear you talk like that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

But look at how many craft supplies you can get for 20 dollars. Enough construction paper, glue, pompoms, paper plates. and pipe cleaners to make as many aliens as they can imagine. There is no law saying that Trek aliens need really convincing expensive prosthetics that take hours to apply. By now we've all seen so much cgi and prosthetics we get the picture, we can visualize how a paper mask might look as a fancy one.

People's Joker really hammered in how overkill most visual effects are.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
How do we know all those 'humans' aren't El-Aurians, Argelians, Ligonians, Space-Romans, or any of the other dozens of species that look exactly like Earthers?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I watched The High Ground last night and I have mixed feelings on it. The show obviously wanted to grapple with some very heavy political realities and by having Data state outright that there was a good case for "terrorism" when all other attempts at diplomacy and negotiation had failed, it at least showed they were willing to admit that poo poo is more complicated than "terrorists bad, police good". At the same time though, the terrorists just aren't very smart. They refuse to listen to Crusher about how the Federation operates, they try to blow up the Enterprise, and they kidnap Picard rather than trusting that Starfleet is willing to negotiate. The episode of course ends with the state winning, but it does admit that peace may not actually be achievable.

It felt like it was too willing to give legitimacy to state oppression without fully exploring why the oppressed would resort to violence. I'll give it credit for having as much nuance as it did, but it still feels like it was written by the IDF. "Yeah, they want to be martyred, but it's easier to kill them than to keep them alive." How about gently caress you?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Khanstant posted:

But look at how many craft supplies you can get for 20 dollars. Enough construction paper, glue, pompoms, paper plates. and pipe cleaners to make as many aliens as they can imagine. There is no law saying that Trek aliens need really convincing expensive prosthetics that take hours to apply. By now we've all seen so much cgi and prosthetics we get the picture, we can visualize how a paper mask might look as a fancy one.

Actually I think you'll find that more veins, bumps, tendrils, scales, ridges and textures is always better. MORE complexity, MORE CGI, MORE budget, always MORE

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've always said that a regular recurring background alien they should have had on the ship is a plant strapped on top of a remote control car with a uniform-coloured ribbon tied to it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

All background Starfleet officers must be Horta now. Yes, just recreate the living carpet from the TOS episode and put that in HD

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Khanstant posted:

Is "The People's Joker" what we're calling the first Joker movie now, or the second one? The second one isn't out for a few more months right? Either way it sounds pretentious as gently caress and therefore quite fitting.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is "The People's Joker" what we're calling the first Joker movie now, or the second one? The second one isn't out for a few more months right? Either way it sounds pretentious as gently caress and therefore quite fitting.

it's neither, it's an unauthorized indie parody

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

MikeJF posted:

I've always said that a regular recurring background alien they should have had on the ship is a plant strapped on top of a remote control car with a uniform-coloured ribbon tied to it.

Lt. Phil Chloro, botanic ops

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the unusual things about DS9 was how humans were a minority on the station and by the end of the show there was only one regular baseline human in the entire cast.

Which that's also something DS9's contemporary show Babylon 5 had going on in that B5 had a fair amount of dedication to really populating the station with a lot of extras outfitted in prosthetics and alien garb.

DaveWoo posted:

And now the pendulum's swung the other way and you've got people freaking out over declining birth rates.

There are people in history who worried about that, but it's more unusual. Some guy in the 40s was giving out medals to women who had four or more kids.

There was also the Great Stork Derby of 1926, but that was kind of just a rich guy being a goof.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
You've REALLY misunderstood me here. I don't mean "why aren't there more aliens on the ship in TNG". I know why.
What I mean is why is it that whenever anyone speaks about the Federation in TNG they're explicitly talking about humans? They give so little lip service to the idea that it's a federation and not just "Humans, also some other guys are around I guess"

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's both that it's a human-built and dominated Starfleet, and that some writers were more on board than others.

Imo it's also that they're wearing ideological blinders. Ethnic imperialists can't really put themselves in federation shoes and can only understand it as a method of human domination because that's what they would do.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's both that it's a human-built and dominated Starfleet, and that some writers were more on board than others.

Imo it's also that they're wearing ideological blinders. Ethnic imperialists can't really put themselves in federation shoes and can only understand it as a method of human domination because that's what they would do.

Quark and Garak, talking about root beer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

No I mean the movie called The People's Joker. They actually played a trailer for either the upcoming joker movie or previous and it looked more like a parody movie than People's Joker did. Absolute garbage for suckers no idea who would be enticed to watch it.

Meanwhile People's Jokers is one of the most interesting movies I'd ever seen. Just isn't anything else like it. Neat story masked under a better use of Batman IP than anything Batman has done with it in decades.

I brought it up because the visual effects were incredibly effective, literally more effective than the typical generic. superhero chi scene you just glaze over. Some people in costume, others a paper cutout, a cartoon, a 3d animation, claymation, all in the same scenes and in a way that totally sells it. It wouldn't have looked any good if they had underpaid and overworked a professional team of 3d artists like a marvel.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Quark and Garak, talking about root beer.

Bashir, his eyes on Dax

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Soul Dentist posted:

Bashir, his eyes on Dax

Garak, his eyes on Bashir.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Quark, his eyes on the latinum

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I do wish they'd done more really out-there full-body alien designs in the 90's even if the results looked cheesy, like the 60's show wasn't afraid to do with things like the Gorn, Horta, Mugato, etc. I think the only thing close we got in TNG or DS9 was those fish people who didn't move because they were hibernating or whatever. It wasn't until they got CGI they started doing full-body aliens again like 8472 and Tholians even though the early CGI was still pretty bad. I don't think an awkward costume would have been that much more out-of-place than that early CGI.

I guess Morn is kind of a midpoint, not a forehead alien but still humanoid. We should have had more Morns.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
The Federation is no more than a “Homo sapiens-only” club.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s a couple more goof rear end alien designs in TNG. “The Dauphin” has a couple. And there’s the weird alien kid (forget the episode name) who’s basically just a gray.

Also I couldn’t tell what the hell I was looking at until the HD era, but the Sheliak design from “Ensigns of Command” is kind of awesome

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 30, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I would say that TNG does it nearly as much as TOS did. It's still a big budget thing, coming up with a full body suit for a single episode. It also takes time as well.

That's why they also reused stuff. One of the monsters in Worf's holodeck fight program is Skeletor from "Masters of the Universe."

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Someone post Lal's andorian form option :pwn:

TNG did a lot of stuff well but creature costumes were rarely very good

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

counterfeitsaint posted:

I heard there's a ship full of horta as well, that probably came from a novel.

Pretty sure that's one of Diane Duane's, there's a Horta serving on Kirk's Enterprise and the Horta ship is mentioned in passing

(been close to 30 years since I read it so if I'm off I apologize)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

The Federation is no more than a “Homo sapiens-only” club.
No Only Homo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

no it says no homos, we're allowed to have one

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
loving woke Star Trek. What happened to all the HETERO sapiens? :mad:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

No Dignity posted:

no it says no homos, we're allowed to have one

Neanderthal erasure again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

nine-gear crow posted:

loving woke Star Trek. What happened to all the HETERO sapiens? :mad:
The ones who made us, yes. Yes, it is still in my memory banks. It became necessary to destroy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Neanderthal erasure again.

The Vulcan Science Academy has determined that chimps are part of the Homo