Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Humans: this spaceship that has evolved in tandem with me to provide all my wants and needs is boring, I want to destroy it so I can go live on a rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Antonymous posted:

every other species has gone extinct on earth and humans will too, and that's OK because there's no where better for us to be by a country mile

What about by an country parsec? Ever think of that?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Thump! posted:

What about by an country parsec? Ever think of that?

the nearest extra-solar planet is more than a parsec away from the solar system, and it just beamed a pure tone to us (982.002 MHz ) this week that has no known natural cause,

so I'm OK for us to go there, I will allow it

edit: the planet it came from is in the habitable zone and is four (4) lightyears away from earth, 1.3 parsecs

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Dec 30, 2020

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1344285163753189379?s=21

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Antonymous posted:

it's a disgusting fantasy to leave earth

this!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

leave or don't, it doesn't loving matter. life, human or otherwise, is a fart in the breeze of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

Th' planet's dyin', Cloud!

Sure, but all the other planets are already dead.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

master roshi is the real hero of the dragon ball series

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

master roshi is the real hero of the dragon ball series

he overcomes the dirty old misogynist man inside him, fighting a battle not even that idiot kakkarot could fight for him. a real one.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DR BRIGHT IS NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY IN, ON, OR AROUND THE UNABOMBER'S SHACK

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

does the cabin explode if you touch it?

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Antonymous posted:

we don't even live at the bottom of the ocean (or underwater at all) on our big watery ball planet

why the gently caress would we go to mars or some other star system, underwater is like 10 miles from me right now and it has food in it and is a reasonable temperature

we don't even live in our deserts that have vegitation and oxygen in the atmosphere and whatever. it's a disgusting fantasy to leave earth

ok but space is cool and that stuff isn't

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lib and let die posted:

Th' planet's dyin', Cloud!

How does it help the 8 billion people if a handful of elites accompanied by some bootlickers gets to live for a couple years in space (and then die anyway)

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

why not just teleport dipshit

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Antonymous posted:

you can't go faster than light dummy, and even that 1,000 tsar bomba worth of energy is still less than how much energy the sun shines down onto earth alone every half hour

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a29247769/warp-drive-possible/

you don't actually go faster than light, you warp spacetime around the space ship

its all very theoretical and requires tons of new inventions, but it doesn't not work

ymgve has issued a correction as of 16:43 on Dec 30, 2020

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Jesus why don't any of you jackasses just take some of the spice, melange, and fold the loving universe.

You absolute morons.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Half of you look like guild navigators as it is.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

ymgve posted:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a29247769/warp-drive-possible/

you don't actually go faster than light, you warp spacetime around the space ship

its all very theoretical and requires tons of new inventions, but it doesn't not work

Or youre born a tachyon

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Also if you built orbital lasers to propel light sails you could get a small colony ship up to a pretty good clip and arrive to a nearby star within a single lifespan.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I think any interstellar travel would almost certainly devolve into That One Ren And Stimpy Episode Meets Avenue 5 because, well, humans.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

pillsburysoldier posted:

Or youre born a tachyon

born as a tachyon
in the big bang
faster than light
until i decay

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
i love the "why not go to the bottom of the ocean rear end in a top hat" when like, bruh nobody liked xcom enemy from the deep stop trying to make it happen.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Speleothing posted:

Also if you built orbital lasers to propel light sails you could get a small colony ship up to a pretty good clip and arrive to a nearby star within a single lifespan.

Yes fine, but there are cheaper ways to fire Elon musk into the sun

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Speleothing posted:

how do you slow down

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

indigi posted:

how do you slow down

fire black light at them, which also has the side effect of making the cool mushroom tapestries in the shuttle look trippy af

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

What if the black light encounters a space cop?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
space cops are too busy spending eternity shooting at black holes to no effect.

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
edit:phone posted for me

GenSpecific has issued a correction as of 17:59 on Dec 30, 2020

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

indigi posted:

how do you slow down

open the door and jump out, tuck and roll

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The faster you go, the more space shrinks in the direction you're going, so it's possible to go to another galaxy in a year if you go fast enough. A year from your POV that is. Outside observers would only see you move at slightly under the speed of light.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Speleothing posted:

But why? The solar system has the capacity to support quadrillions of people. What's the point of going to another star where you have no infrastructure and absolutely no one to help you should something go wrong?

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

https://twitter.com/godsbigtits/status/1344037483411984384?s=20

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

human garbage bag posted:

The faster you go, the more space shrinks in the direction you're going, so it's possible to go to another galaxy in a year if you go fast enough. A year from your POV that is. Outside observers would only see you move at slightly under the speed of light.

just try not to hit any molecules along the way

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Ah yes, the woman who wouldn't give up her blackberry is a huge fan of the switch.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

cenotaph posted:

Ah yes, the woman who wouldn't give up her blackberry is a huge fan of the switch.

"Give me that nintendo!" Hillary screamed at the young child holding an iphone

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/THEHermanCain/status/1344334694221971457