Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

Shiiiiiiiittttttttttttttt this nonsense has been a huge hit at parties in the past, thanks for the heads-up.

Also I didn't know that TE Mechs was out or that TE Tactics was a thing. Someone talk me out of both of them, please. TE Galaxies isn't that good.

TE Mechs is basically robot rally except worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SoftNum posted:

TE Mechs is basically robot rally except worse.

Apart from being area control instead of a race, and over in 45 minutes instead of dragging out interminably, and being different in every way other than they're both action programming with robots in.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Jedit posted:

Apart from being area control instead of a race, and over in 45 minutes instead of dragging out interminably, and being different in every way other than they're both action programming with robots in.

You put things down on the board and you win based on how well you hosed the other players based on items you "drew". Also action programming as a central mechanic. You're right. Completely and totally different. No similarities here. No sir.

Though it is less long then trying to play 10 RR maps end to end, but that's not really in the rules anyway, just nerds bein nerds.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Played 5-player Inis and 6-player Root today.

Inis is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite board games. The fusion of DOAM positioning with draft psychology is superb, and it has consistently avoided kingmaking because every player always has a potential path to victory. The combination of easily-achieved victory conditions plus ties resulting in a continuation of the game is genius. This dynamic wouldn't work if whacking the leader was easy, but if you keep careful watch on card play then you can set up a checkmate situation with a smart round of drafting (which feels awesome to pull off and fair when you lose to it). Also, the combat in Inis never ceases to be hilarious (for everyone else at the table). :D

Root has problems. It has a lot to recommend it for emergent narrative but the ending is unsatisfactory. It usually comes out feeling like the winner is the player who snuck one juuuuust under the table's radar. Possibly worse, it's also very easy to have a crushingly bad game experience if you get hamstrung early in your exponential growth curve. Someone having a bad game in Root often still needs to put cardboard on the table in order to come back, but they're weak... and that cardboard is a point pinata. Cthulhu Wars partially solves this problem by making it very difficult for a player in a good position to defend everywhere simultaneously, so you might as well hit the strong guy. Inis deals with it even better by not having an exponential power curve and by making one of the win conditions about keeping weaker players around in your territories.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Root is a total mess at 5 & 6. It’s firmly in 3-4 territory to me.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Basically all of the recommendations I got seem really interesting and I've noted down a few to probably pick up in the future, but after much waffling I've decided to pick up Race for the Galaxy for now. Thanks for all the input and hopefully I'll be back with a trip report when we've tried it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Played 5-player Inis and 6-player Root today.

Inis is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite board games. The fusion of DOAM positioning with draft psychology is superb, and it has consistently avoided kingmaking because every player always has a potential path to victory. The combination of easily-achieved victory conditions plus ties resulting in a continuation of the game is genius. This dynamic wouldn't work if whacking the leader was easy, but if you keep careful watch on card play then you can set up a checkmate situation with a smart round of drafting (which feels awesome to pull off and fair when you lose to it). Also, the combat in Inis never ceases to be hilarious (for everyone else at the table). :D

Root has problems. It has a lot to recommend it for emergent narrative but the ending is unsatisfactory. It usually comes out feeling like the winner is the player who snuck one juuuuust under the table's radar. Possibly worse, it's also very easy to have a crushingly bad game experience if you get hamstrung early in your exponential growth curve. Someone having a bad game in Root often still needs to put cardboard on the table in order to come back, but they're weak... and that cardboard is a point pinata. Cthulhu Wars partially solves this problem by making it very difficult for a player in a good position to defend everywhere simultaneously, so you might as well hit the strong guy. Inis deals with it even better by not having an exponential power curve and by making one of the win conditions about keeping weaker players around in your territories.

Those are kinda my feelings about both those games, I love Inis but we have one guy who hates it so we don't get to play it that often.

Root at 4 seems ok but at 5-6 it really easy to have that bad game like you say. Especially if you're Lizardfolk or Birds and circumstance just nukes you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SoftNum posted:

You put things down on the board and you win based on how well you hosed the other players based on items you "drew". Also action programming as a central mechanic. You're right. Completely and totally different. No similarities here. No sir.

Oh, well then, we may as well just say that Talisman is no different to Mage Knight because they're fantasy adventure games where you draw cards.

I've played Roborally and TEM. They aren't remotely the same, even in basic feel. Shooting someone in Roborally messes up their turn and possibly their game. Shooting someone in TEM lets them freely program the rest of their turn at the cost of giving you points. That alone is enough to make them very different.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

Oh, well then, we may as well just say that Talisman is no different to Mage Knight because they're fantasy adventure games where you draw cards.

I've played Roborally and TEM. They aren't remotely the same, even in basic feel. Shooting someone in Roborally messes up their turn and possibly their game. Shooting someone in TEM lets them freely program the rest of their turn at the cost of giving you points. That alone is enough to make them very different.

Feels like we could do one of those alignment charts, where Pizza is a sandwich. Space Alert is like Roborally as it has action programming and board elements. Battletech is like Roborally as it has robots and weapons. Colt Express is like Roborally as it has Action Programming and weapons.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Aramoro posted:

Especially if you're Lizardfolk or Birds and circumstance just nukes you.

Be careful, with the expansion coming, you've got to call the Eerie dynasty by their name, or people will get confused with the Corvid Conspiracy.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Space Alert also has weapons!

:goonsay:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Me, I'm looking forward to the Skink Suzerainty.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheFluff posted:

Basically all of the recommendations I got seem really interesting and I've noted down a few to probably pick up in the future, but after much waffling I've decided to pick up Race for the Galaxy for now. Thanks for all the input and hopefully I'll be back with a trip report when we've tried it.

Nice. As a note, you will likely be disappointed in most of the tableau builders with simultaneous actions/follow the leader actions from here on out. :getin:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Well I guess I have to get through the rest of the archives of the game brain podcast now...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Aramoro posted:

Those are kinda my feelings about both those games, I love Inis but we have one guy who hates it so we don't get to play it that often.

Root at 4 seems ok but at 5-6 it really easy to have that bad game like you say. Especially if you're Lizardfolk or Birds and circumstance just nukes you.

Interestingly, the Lizards had a pretty good game. It was the Woodland Alliance that got stomped super hard.

The Otters ended up winning because the Lizards paid them a TON.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just picked up Descent 2e on a whim because I heard it was fun with the app. Most of the reviews I'm seeing are pretty negative, weirdly.

I played through the Goblin tutorial mission and it was pretty fun :shrug: What's the goonsensus on it? And especially, on the expansions?

Is it possible to play the overlord version with two people where person plays a hero + the overlord? Or would it be like D&D where the DM just has too much info? It's a shame to let the campaign in the box go to waste.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The biggest issue with Descent 2E is defense dice.

If you wanted to play with two people, one person should control two heroes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Interestingly, the Lizards had a pretty good game. It was the Woodland Alliance that got stomped super hard.

The Otters ended up winning because the Lizards paid them a TON.

I feel at higher numbers Woodland Alliance have an issue if someone points out what sympathy tokens can do whenever they place one. I mean that's with the whole game though, 'Oh look if you did this the birbs would colapse'

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

I just picked up Descent 2e on a whim because I heard it was fun with the app. Most of the reviews I'm seeing are pretty negative, weirdly.

I played through the Goblin tutorial mission and it was pretty fun :shrug: What's the goonsensus on it? And especially, on the expansions?

Is it possible to play the overlord version with two people where person plays a hero + the overlord? Or would it be like D&D where the DM just has too much info? It's a shame to let the campaign in the box go to waste.

It's solid for what it is. I think simply put, since it was first released there have been many more interesting dungeon crawlers appearing on the scene that have deeper gameplay and more complex mechanics with less random "roll bad, have bad turn" outcomes. I feel the same way about Zombicide games. I'll play them if a friend brings them out (with alcohol, if possible) but I don't feel the need to own my own copy by any means. The minis are cool and worth painting. Descent isn't a bad game, it's just not an outstanding game when compared to its peers, so it tends to get lost in the mix, and personally I'd recommend other dungeon crawlers over it if someone was asking for advice on what to buy. It still has its fans though. Also, Imperial Assault is a very similar game but Star Wars and with slightly improved mechanics, so lots of folks prefer that over Descent as well.

For 2 players, you're probably better off with one player using one or more heroes, and the other player being the overlord. Playing the overlord + a hero would be a conflict of interest and I'd imagine make it not as fun. Playing all 4 heroes shouldn't be too difficult for one person.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 16, 2019

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Basically stick with the co op mode, even if you go to two people. It is far and away the best thing about descent. If you go for expansions, buy only those you need for co op campaigns.

The vs mode fails for a lot of reasons. It isn't super balanced and it leads to lots of "gamey" plays if either player really wants to play to win (players run by monsters without fighting and both players can have incentives to lose the first of two part scenarios or do weird stalling plays). The rules are also very vaguely laid out in general with some very specific edge cases that lead to rules lawyering. It works if people play it like a silly dungeon crawl but crumples the second someone really tries to win.

In Co op you can play goofy or munchkin it up and it holds up really well. I'd call it an A- game with the app and I would walk way from the table rather than play the oppositional mode.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 16, 2019

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Old Swerdlow posted:

It’s barely a game but Amazon is starting to clear out Dropmix and most of the expansions.

It's 10 bux on Five Below at the moment, with $5 shipping. Ships after xmas.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Talk to me about Inis. I never gave it much mind because when people discuss DOAM games here it usually just ends up somewhere in the middle of the list behind Cthulhu Wars & Kemet. However, in the past year I've heard many people in real life & on the internet giving it high praise. Did the new expansion do marvelous things? It is just a gem that gets a bit underlooked? For people who don't love it, what issues do you think it has?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Inis is very good and unique in that space because it’s less about fighting and more about tactical maneuvers and plays and hedging your bets about card drafts. I think it’s as good as Kemet, it’s just very different

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Anyone have experience with Sorcerer? I saw it at B&N, looks kind of interesting but I'm not sure if it's 40 dollars interesting.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

My opinion is I have never heard of it before now, and now I'm sad it's not a resource management game about driving a death truck of explosives in South America like the movie.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There was a thing recently because Jason Momoa had the temerity to not maintain his Aquaman build.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Megasabin posted:

Talk to me about Inis. I never gave it much mind because when people discuss DOAM games here it usually just ends up somewhere in the middle of the list behind Cthulhu Wars & Kemet. However, in the past year I've heard many people in real life & on the internet giving it high praise. Did the new expansion do marvelous things? It is just a gem that gets a bit underlooked? For people who don't love it, what issues do you think it has?

The expansion is actually unimpressive; it's a set of modules that you can add (or not) at your whim, but the only thing that makes it indespensible to me is that it adds the figures and, critically, action cards for a fifth player. We often end up with 5 people at the table so the fifth player module was a must for us, but the rest of the expansion? I like the islands and harbors module for the extra variation in geography and advantage cards, but they're hardly necessary. The titular seasons module is neat and would boost the action... but it's not really worth the extra rules until (imo) your group has a complete grasp of the base game rules. If you've only got 4 people interested in Inis then I'd pass on the expansion without regrets.

As for why Inis flew under the radar... I think it takes multiple plays to really gel. It probably helps that basically my entire boardgaming group is composed of ex- (or current) MtG drafters, so the fundamentals of draft strategy were already in mind. Even then it takes time for people to understand the implications of the card pool; the game seems extremely volatile and random until you understand exactly what is possible with the card pool and can start making projections about player intentions (and thus their draft). Only during my third play did I start successfully predicting the set-aside card mid-round. That sort of game sense is what you need to transform Inis' seeming chaos into an incredibly tight strategy game. It takes time.

But if people quit on the game after the first play or two, or just don't gel with drafting or DOAM games, then they're never going to reach the point where it clicks and turns from a strange curiosity to a brilliant design.

e: If I ever get my sound system set up in the game room then I'm 100% going to play the King of Dragon Pass soundtrack whenever we pull out Inis.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 17, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Game Brain episode featuring yours truly is up 😀

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayveena posted:

Game Brain episode featuring yours truly is up 😀

I'm trying to decide if I want to skip most of the archives so I can listen to this one. :v:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Inis is Kemet where instead of OBLITERATE OBLITERATE CRUSH KILL DESTROY it's DOMINATE DOMINATE YOU ARE NOW MY VASSALS

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Inis is my “I want to play Dune but I only have 60 minutes” game. There’s a lot of politicizing in it, the board state is pretty fragile, but what that means is everyone has to be keenly aware of each others’ short term and long term goals. It’s not uncommon to pull off a good move only to inadvertently put someone in a winning position.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

CommonShore posted:

Inis is Kemet where instead of OBLITERATE OBLITERATE CRUSH KILL DESTROY it's DOMINATE DOMINATE YOU ARE NOW MY VASSALS

It's more walking into someone else's yard and saying "this is my yard now. I don't have problem with that. Do you?"

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

The Narrator posted:

It's more walking into someone else's yard and saying "this is my yard now. I don't have problem with that. Do you?"

This is almost word for word our last session of Inis.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Corbeau posted:

This is almost word for word our last session of Inis.

I feel called out by this.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Some Numbers posted:

I feel called out by this.

It was not our finest hour.

The rest of the table had a good laugh though.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Holy poo poo, this is some galaxy brain DIY

https://youtu.be/aXqi5PULMqg

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Just pay $25 for it, JFC.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

Holy poo poo, this is some galaxy brain DIY

https://youtu.be/aXqi5PULMqg
I wanted to make a copy of Patchwork from actual scraps of cloth/leather for maximum comfy, but got stuck on the labels (and didn't wanna just write/paint on the cloth).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Going to play Forbidden Stars this weekend for the first time, 4 players. At least two other players have played it before. Anything I should know about so I don’t embarrass myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Trip reports:

The owner of the city board game cafe gave me Wingspan as thanks for donating a chandelier to the place, and I finally got around to playing it. It's.. a great deal of fun, particularly for bird lovers! Engine-building is varied and solid, it's a fun experience just building (and you can't go far in the direction of loving other players over, only play birds that make you benefit from actions they take as well), and you can win in many ways, particularly with the Euro birbs expansion. This one is going to have a lot of rotation on my table, I think. 4/5.

My friend got Void Seeders for the always fun Aliens(tm)-simulator Nemesis. It adds a sanity track and a more claustrophobic aura to a game that already usually ends with your friends flipping you off through an escape pod as you realize that they sabotaged the engines and also a clawed monstrosity is growing in your colon somewhere. You can now get neuroses that make you self-harm, randomly act out or be worse at checks, as well as attracting the largest alien beast if your sanity loss is at max, which was enjoyable in the masochistic sense that Nemesis often is - and the best part, I think, is that the game was not notably harder, just with a very different, Cthulhuesque flavour.

It also adds a bunch of new classes with quite different playings styles like Convict and CEO, which we didn't get around to trying. Anyway, it really turns the game around, which not making it unmanagable. Very impressed, 5/5.