Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kiranamos posted:

Holy poo poo, this is some galaxy brain DIY

https://youtu.be/aXqi5PULMqg

Sometimes it’s just neat to make your own things. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve had people ask where they could buy my copy of Chinatown or Bus because of the unique theme. And how many times I’ve scared people off with 18xx redesign ideas. Speaking of, this owns

Someone make an 18xx game with the style of cave evil please, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Chill la Chill posted:

Sometimes it’s just neat to make your own things. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve had people ask where they could buy my copy of Chinatown or Bus because of the unique theme. And how many times I’ve scared people off with 18xx redesign ideas. Speaking of, this owns

What did you do with Chinatown?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

jesus christ my eyes

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wafflecopper posted:

jesus christ my eyes

Yeah it’s really good

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah it’s really good

It really levels the playing field for colour blind people who can have a tough time with other games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aramoro posted:

It really levels the playing field for colour blind people who can have a tough time with other games.

Some may argue that the best way to make games accessible to the colour blind is not to make a board that nobody can look at.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I really enjoyed what Innovation did, by including a well-designed pictogram in the corner of all cards that showed which category (marked by colour) it belonged to. One of my good friends is R/G-colourblind, and it instantly made the game playable to him again.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

Some may argue that the best way to make games accessible to the colour blind is not to make a board that nobody can look at.

Nyctophobia isn't actually that bad at all.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The base Inis game is great. Once you get used to playing it, it takes maybe an hour, which is a third the time it takes my group to play Kemet. It also tickles the card drafting itch my friends get, as every round starts with a drafting of the 4 cards you get, which controls which actions you can take.

Combat is brutal for both sides, unless you've prepared with action cards and got some lucky epic cards. But since it's optional, and players can coexist in areas, and one of the win conditions is sharing places with people and another two are just about being in a certain number of locations, it's a tricky thing to balance. You want to lord over others, but their mere presence there is helping them with a victory condition as well. If you wipe them out to prevent their victory, you might be preventing your own too.

I have the Inis expansion, and while it's modular so you can pick and choose what to use, they just seem to add complication with very little actual added fun. 'Seasons' add extra complicated rules per round to track, the new island tiles confuse the neat tile system they have, the new end game bit was based on people not ever acquiring deeds and making the game last forever (and can be done without the expansion), which was never a problem we needed solved, though the new epics are interesting.

Get the base game, skip the expansion unless it turns out you played Inis enough you need to spice it up a little more.

Oh, and the Inis tiles are the darkest of tesselated sorcery. If you orient them all the same way, they're functionally hexagons. If you turn one compared to the rest, you've suddenly locked out a spot on the map and created a 'lake'. It's funny how many groups don't find this out because everyone's monkey brain makes them want to line the tiles up so their words and images all point the same way.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Going to play Forbidden Stars this weekend for the first time, 4 players. At least two other players have played it before. Anything I should know about so I don’t embarrass myself?

There is very little room for diplomacy in Forbidden Stars. You need to be very aggressive to stand a chance. If you can avoid doing so, don't play as the Eldar. They are the toughest faction to get a grip on and you can make things very hard for yourself if you don't do the map setup properly. (If you end up as the Eldar, create as much open space between planets as possible. Your ships are superior. ) When playing your orders, remember that they are resolved top to bottom, so they're First In Last Out. The first action you want to do will be one of the last orders you play. It is mandatory to play an order if possible so you can force your opponents to play out of order by strategically playing orders on top of theirs (and also bait them into playing on top of useless orders too).

I'll edit this if I think of more, it's been a while since I played.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there a full 1828 redesign like this or did they just do that corner as a proof/joke

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Ravendas posted:

The base Inis game is great. Once you get used to playing it, it takes maybe an hour, which is a third the time it takes my group to play Kemet. It also tickles the card drafting itch my friends get, as every round starts with a drafting of the 4 cards you get, which controls which actions you can take.

Combat is brutal for both sides, unless you've prepared with action cards and got some lucky epic cards. But since it's optional, and players can coexist in areas, and one of the win conditions is sharing places with people and another two are just about being in a certain number of locations, it's a tricky thing to balance. You want to lord over others, but their mere presence there is helping them with a victory condition as well. If you wipe them out to prevent their victory, you might be preventing your own too.

I have the Inis expansion, and while it's modular so you can pick and choose what to use, they just seem to add complication with very little actual added fun. 'Seasons' add extra complicated rules per round to track, the new island tiles confuse the neat tile system they have, the new end game bit was based on people not ever acquiring deeds and making the game last forever (and can be done without the expansion), which was never a problem we needed solved, though the new epics are interesting.

Get the base game, skip the expansion unless it turns out you played Inis enough you need to spice it up a little more.

Oh, and the Inis tiles are the darkest of tesselated sorcery. If you orient them all the same way, they're functionally hexagons. If you turn one compared to the rest, you've suddenly locked out a spot on the map and created a 'lake'. It's funny how many groups don't find this out because everyone's monkey brain makes them want to line the tiles up so their words and images all point the same way.

Inis is really something nice but it is so goddamn weird at first that I think a lot of people played it once and then went wtf and never came back.

Also for anyone like myself that enjoys games 2p mostly, a while ago Angel Opportunity I think posted a great summary of 2p Inis:

quote:

Finally did a full play of 2-player Inis. Going to do a sperg post about it.

I really like the game now. I hesitate to disagree with "all the games you like are bad" guy, because he has played the game way more times than me. With 2-player though, I think his big issue with the epic tale cards isn't really a negative to me. I'm not sure about 3 or 4-player, but I still think I disagree with him. 2-player plays very nicely, and on our second time playing we both knew the cards quite well. The limited action card pool is great design because it makes the draft and the season phase both feel inter-connected to each other and very strategic. Compared to something like Seasons, where you have a big fat draft at the beginning of the entire game, and then you play for over an hour and never draft again. In Inis the drafts are quick and always related to the current board state, so they don't feel tacked on at all. My wife is one of the slowest players in the world at every game, and the draft almost never takes more than 5 minutes.

My take on the epic tale cards--which is what most people who don't like the game complain about--is that if you let your opponent just sit there and amass them, you need to "get good," and a) start to get a stack of them yourself to maintain parity with your opponent, b) use your more active action cards to force your opponent to use epic tale cards to stop your own victory conditions, or c) use "The Bard" to get deed tokens rather than epic tale cards.

I lost the game we played tonight because I tried to do b) while my wife piled up epic tale cards. I probably would have been okay, but I botched two clashes and put myself too far behind on the board. I think if I hadn't botched the clashes the way I did (I misread one of my epic tale cards and didn't realize until it was too late), I probably would have forced her to use up one of her epic tale cards to stop my own victory. When I hosed up the clashes, it put me behind on board and allowed her to use her epic tale cards to combo into a victory condition.

What I mean by "more active action cards," is that the only two action cards which give you epic tale cards are "The Bard," and "Sanctuary." If you use "The Bard" to get an epic tale, that's all it does. You haven't affected the board state at all, and the fact that you drafted "The Bard" means that your opponent will have more "active" cards than you in general. "Sanctuary" is a complicated card to evaluate, as placing a sanctuary can affect the board state, but without solid map control, a sanctuary you place can easily end up benefitting your opponent. I think it's a very powerful card if you can place a sanctuary that guaranteed benefits you and you only. If you draft the card and get stuck throwing a sanctuary in a spot that benefits both players, you still got an epic tale card out of it, but your "affecting the board state" is mostly a wash and you played a "passive card."

If you go for a), you will have a stack of epic tale cards that will probably allow you to strip the victory condition your opponent can create using their own epic tale cards. You do have to look at your epic tale cards and sometimes form strategy based on them. Many epic tale cards will dictate a longer-term strategy for you, and I think this aspect of them is pretty cool. With more plays under our belt, I could potentially see it being possible to predict what kind of epic tale card an opponent has based on things they are doing on the board.

I hadn't realized that deed token created by "The Bard" never goes away. It just sits there as your deed forever, and it immediately makes victory much easier to achieve. There are probably situational epic tale cards more powerful than a deed token--when used under ideal conditions--but I think getting a deed token is generally more powerful. Since "The Bard" gives you an epic tale card for free, but only gives you a deed token after removing any enemy clan, this is the game design itself telling you a deed token is stronger than an epic tale card. Holding "The Geis" to counter someone trying to get a deed token is a really strong play that denies them a ton of resources--and it's probably one big reason I lost the game I just played (I had my attempt to take a deed token countered twice). If you can bait "The Geis" and then guaranteed accumulate deed tokens, this is stronger than an opponent who is just using "The Bard" to pile up epic tale cards, as having two deed tokens stocked is likely going to force your opponent to blow their epic tale cards just to stop you from hitting victory conditions.

The dynamic between deed token vs. epic tale card is actually really cool and seems easily overlooked since the rulebook doesn't spell the deed token out very well. I had to read this thread to be sure: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1633265/deeds

The other major thing people don't like about this game is the "attrition-based combat." The way combat worked turned me off on my first play, but after playing a full game and having everything click, I like how combat works. I'll just do some bullet points about why I think combat in this game is good:

-The instigator getting to attack first, and the defender getting to use citadels is a cool design that gives asymmetric advantages to both sides of the clash.
-"Warlord" is an easy card to overlook that can give you a really powerful and overbearing attack if you combo it with another attack/movement card. You can use it to start a fight and attack twice in a row, or attack, and then immediately withdraw.
-The choice of losing a dude from the map or discarding an action card when you are attacked is awesome. Passing your turn and trying to get your opponent to use up their action cards can give you strong attack opportunities where you know what the outcome will be.
-The limited reserve of 12 clans on the map forces combat, as does "The Bard" card's mechanism for giving you an epic deed. I think a lot of people get a first impression of combat in this game as lovely and "lose-lose" for everyone involved, but once you get a better grasp on all the cards and how to actually achieve victory, you will know how to attack in a way that will generate advantages for you while harming the other person (rather than just loving over both people equally).

I'm just really impressed overall. I might change my mind about how epic tale cards work, but I think epic tale cards and deed tokens both function as a timer to move the game toward its end state. It feels to me that there is A LOT you can do to mitigate randomness, especially in a 2-player game. The way passing works and the way you grab a pretender token to go for a victory condition also helps to stop instances of: "I just played four epic tale cards and won..gg," from happening.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

FulsomFrank posted:

Also for anyone like myself that enjoys games 2p mostly, a while ago Angel Opportunity I think posted a great summary of 2p Inis:

This is really interesting. From all the Inis chat the last page or so it looked like something I'd enjoy, but I rarely get to play with more then 2 players.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I 25% agree with the long post because I 100% agree with the 25% of it that I read

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Funzo posted:

This is really interesting. From all the Inis chat the last page or so it looked like something I'd enjoy, but I rarely get to play with more then 2 players.

I've played Inis 2p once. It was really thinky, I liked it a lot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I like the new end game triggers from the Inis expansion, but that might be colored by my experience with the game being a lot of endgame stalemates happening even with lots of deeds. It's like the Kemet expansion in that you can just port the rules over to the base game and skip the other modular stuff if you don't want more stuff. The expansion cards also have mismatched colors so you need to sleeve.

I'll echo that it's great at 2p too, which is another thing that sets it apart in the DOAM space.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fellis posted:

Is there a full 1828 redesign like this or did they just do that corner as a proof/joke

I only know that much. If it's a full redesign, let me know. That looks good enough to print on a playmat.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I've owned the Inis expansion for months yet the only parts I've played are the port/island tiles, new epic tales, and the new endgame conditions. Seasons seem like they'd make the game objectively worse, much like the path to Ta-Seti. I'm really anxious to see how the 5th player green cards fit in, though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I know people who've owned Inis for months and not played any of it, so that's not necessarily a knock on the expansions.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I still loving hate how kingmakery the Geis card is but I think my opinion is biased since the person who consistently has the worst board position grabs it (instead of something that helps him) and denies me a win.

But does he ever do it to stop a Bard from getting a deed? Nope, never.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Pointing at any one part of Inis and saying "this is the kingmakery part I dislike" doesn't really make sense to me. I've never played a game of it which hasn't ended with a player deciding which two people should be blocked from winning.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
2P Inis is possibly the best player count because the big problem with Inis (the attritional combat allowing two players to.engage in MAD and.let.someone else walk away with it) isn't a problem.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

GrandpaPants posted:

I still loving hate how kingmakery the Geis card is but I think my opinion is biased since the person who consistently has the worst board position grabs it (instead of something that helps him) and denies me a win.

But does he ever do it to stop a Bard from getting a deed? Nope, never.

This right here is the thing that frustrates me the most in gaming. Not necessarily the kingmaker aspect of it, but another player making self-detrimental sub-optimal plays that gently caress you over. Because, you can't really say "hey, maybe try doing something that's at least good for you" without sounding like you're just being salty, and almost by definition you're coaching them where maybe normally you wouldn't. So if you're going to say anything, it has to be outside the game, but then the moment has passed and they probably wont really pay attention / care. AND! It's pretty insignificant, it isn't actually a big deal, it's just someone making a choice in a game. When it's the same person over and over though, it's like I can't help but see it as a character flaw. Which is MAD because, this person is playing board games with me repeatedly, I'd take that over someone who doesn't play games any day. So you just have to suck it up and watch bad things happen to both of you unnecessarily over and over, lol.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

IMO in that situation it's okay to try to persuade them to do something else. It goes back to that "strategic whining" thing that someone brought up earlier in the thread, it's a legitimate social strategy.

By the way, I love the strategic whining concept. I've played with so many people who do that and it's great to have a concise description of it. Genuinely, thank you.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'll defend the Seasons mechanic in Inis. The effects do a lot to round out some problems in the base game. Spring lets you ditch bad green cards to get reds, summmer lets everyone get in as many fights as they want, and autumn lets you burn your bad red cards to recruit more clans.

I would recommend against using it until your group knows the base game inside and out, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Pointing at any one part of Inis and saying "this is the kingmakery part I dislike" doesn't really make sense to me. I've never played a game of it which hasn't ended with a player deciding which two people should be blocked from winning.

Geis specifically doesn't do dick all to advance your own win condition, it just stops one person from advancing theirs. It's fine if you're the one in the lead and just want to solidify your position, but it gives someone kingmaker powers when they'd otherwise not be in contention.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

pospysyl posted:

IMO in that situation it's okay to try to persuade them to do something else. It goes back to that "strategic whining" thing that someone brought up earlier in the thread, it's a legitimate social strategy.

By the way, I love the strategic whining concept. I've played with so many people who do that and it's great to have a concise description of it. Genuinely, thank you.

Counterpoint: strategic whining is awful and can make people hate playing games with that person.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

If you play with someone who you know tends to play randomly and/or suboptimally then that's just something you have to take into account in your in-game strategy. The vast majority of good games are designed such that you can easily exploit this style of play or at least play with relative safety to mitigate it. Not that it makes it any less irritating when someone making a chaotic game choice just happens to screw you over but them's the breaks sometimes.

Whining about it is also a legitimate strategy but is itself susceptible to the hard counter strategy of "I refuse to play with you, you dumb jerk."

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Pierzak posted:

I wanted to make a copy of Patchwork from actual scraps of cloth/leather for maximum comfy, but got stuck on the labels (and didn't wanna just write/paint on the cloth).

Little notes attached with safety pins are a nice thematic way to do it

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
If the person making the suboptimal play is already losing, then it doesn't matter what they do really so just suck it up. I would only care if they were still in contention and sunk their own position just to hurt someone else.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Geis specifically doesn't do dick all to advance your own win condition, it just stops one person from advancing theirs. It's fine if you're the one in the lead and just want to solidify your position, but it gives someone kingmaker powers when they'd otherwise not be in contention.

This isn't entirely true. Geis can prevent anything you don't want to happen--you don't have to be in the lead to want to prevent attacks against yourself, or conversely to prevent a festival from screwing with your planned attack--and it's often worth grabbing simply to prevent the leader from getting it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Part of why I like Inis is that players are almost never out of the running, but if you've got a player who just gives up and (metaphorically) flips the table before they're out then you just can't play games that allow heavy interaction. Which rules out a pretty vast swathe of games these days.

Sometimes it's attitude and sometimes it's knowledge, but even the latter case is tough. It's really difficult to guide someone to better understand their opportunities without sounding condescending and/or salty. One of our regular Eclipse group, years ago, kept believing they were down after an early setback even though their overall position was still fine. He only started to come around after I won a couple games from almost the exact situations he'd given up in... and if he was less observant then he'd never have noticed the parallel.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

Little notes attached with safety pins are a nice thematic way to do it
Tried that, it looks ugly and is way to fiddly because the labels get in the way all the time.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

This isn't entirely true. Geis can prevent anything you don't want to happen--you don't have to be in the lead to want to prevent attacks against yourself, or conversely to prevent a festival from screwing with your planned attack--and it's often worth grabbing simply to prevent the leader from getting it.

Again, though, that's not really advancing your position so much as preventing you from being pushed back. Like even really defensive cards like Festival give you a dude to put on the map, which at least solidifies a position and allows you to do other things with the dude. Geas (I remembered how to spell the word!) exists just to play spoiler. Like I love playing control in Magic and even I'm saying Inis doesn't need a counterspell. It actively deters long term planning when a wrench can be thrown into your plans for the pettiest of reasons.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Pierzak posted:

Tried that, it looks ugly and is way to fiddly because the labels get in the way all the time.

Have it on a little fabric patch you sew onto the piece

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Part of why I like Inis is that players are almost never out of the running

That's part of why we didn't like it, and why it stopped appearing at game nights after the first couple of times it was played. There's so much capacity to come back from behind that no turn seems to matter except the last one.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Really? I find it's very possible to get nailed early and never be able to come back. If you get into an attritional slog early and have no board position not having yellow cards can become hugely problematic.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-edited cause I was being a callous rear end in a top hat a little bit-

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 18, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Don't take the bait, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jedit posted:

Don't take the bait, folks.

My bad, I realise that came across badly. I'm just frustrated. Had super high hopes but experiences so far have been so so. I miss my old city where I had friends and we'd play games and cook and drink beers on the weekend, but I met them at uni. I'm just gonna look at my board game collection daily and realise I'll not be fulfilling my goal of having a tight knit group of people to play with regularly any time soon. I tasted the good life for a few solid months and I miss it.