Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

jaegerx posted:

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/san-antonio-clayton-perry-17578017.php

I know for a fact he was drinking cause I was with him at the same bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Farking Bastage posted:

:stare: I mean, is it the stockholm syndrome?

Literally everything in our career path is Stockholm syndrome.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Is this a mod or did he just pay $8 and why has no one made that a emoticon yet.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Ffycchi posted:

Literally everything in our career path is Stockholm syndrome.

using a computer is the greatest example of breaking your brain until you love it

the human hand was not designed to touch a keyboard

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

tokin opposition posted:

the human hand was not designed to touch a keyboard

That’s why god created dactyl manuforms

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Yes please. I’ve had “Jira is middle-management-ware” as my teams status ever since someone here posted it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm one week away from starting my new job that I already signed an offer letter for.

Current place is now saying they'll match the offer, throw in a 10% bonus if I stay one year, give me an extra week of vacation each year AND create a whole new position for me if I stay.

Honestly not sure what to do now. This old place is a poo poo show but the work life balance is second to none and I'd get 3 months paternity for when my wife and I have our 2nd kid next year. I'd also be at 6 weeks of PTO a year which would be awesome.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm one week away from starting my new job that I already signed an offer letter for.

Current place is now saying they'll match the offer, throw in a 10% bonus if I stay one year, give me an extra week of vacation each year AND create a whole new position for me if I stay.

Honestly not sure what to do now. This old place is a poo poo show but the work life balance is second to none and I'd get 3 months paternity for when my wife and I have our 2nd kid next year. I'd also be at 6 weeks of PTO a year which would be awesome.

flee, if it was bad enough to make you want to leave it'll still be as bad with the morsels they're willing to throw you, assuming they don't screw you over somehow.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They're panicking. Change jobs.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I wouldn't expect anything about the culture or situation at the current company to change, and unless the ONLY reason you're leaving is compensation, that includes whatever it was that made you start looking in the first place. General advice is to not accept a counter offer, but if you decide to then I'd make drat sure the bonus agreement includes language that says you only have to pay it back if you decide to quit on your own, not if they get rid of you (after 3 months because they just wanted time to find a replacement).

All those extra perks seem like panic to me though, as Wilba suggested.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Not to mention that without a toothy contract they can just poo poo can you as soon as they've found the replacement. All of this should come with a retention contract that has bonuses for years worked and penalties to the company to firing you for any reason. (Golden parachute style.)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yeah don't do it!

I'm in a somewhat similar boat in that I have tons of leverage with my current employer and have a resume ready to go but feel guilty about screwing the team by bouncing. At least two of them are decent people! OTOH I would like to make enough money to be comfy...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm going to go against the grain and say you should seriously consider staying. You'll get the pay raise, bonus, more PTO, cooler title(?) and the excellent work/life balance. Plus, you don't have to worry about all the uncertainty that comes with starting a new job on a new team.

If I recall, you're an AWS Security guru so you likely won't have to look too hard for a new opportunity if staying turns bad.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Hughmoris posted:

I'm going to go against the grain and say you should seriously consider staying. You'll get the pay raise, bonus, more PTO, cooler title(?) and the excellent work/life balance. Plus, you don't have to worry about all the uncertainty that comes with starting a new job on a new team.

If I recall, you're an AWS Security guru so you likely won't have to look too hard for a new opportunity if staying turns bad.

I would echo this. That is a lot to throw your way , but its layered enough to look like retention more so than not.

I am not a huge fan of taking counter offers. But with the way the market is and the fact you are infosec, I dont think either side benefits from a change unless you just want to change.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’d normally say don’t take the counter offer but with all those benefits as well parental leave with a kid coming up I’d lie if I said I wouldn’t think twice about this.

Of course the US is notoriously bad when it comes to worker protection laws so there’s the risk of getting screwed over. Could you get it in writing that you get 100k severence pay if they decide to terminate your contract within 1 year?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Good work life balance, 3 months paternity, and 6 weeks a year sounds loving awesome but that's just, like, my opinion.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/yt842l/showoff_saturday_i_made_a_tool_which/

https://www.programming-helper.com/

GitHub copilot. Begun the AI wars have.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

jaegerx posted:

https://www.programming-helper.com/

GitHub copilot. Begun the AI wars have.

What the gently caress!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Welp.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

it's over for us.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
AI will relegate us all to help desk, even they don't want to do end user support.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

i'm gonna be raking rocks at this point.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I want to claim i'm the best poo poo poster here but you are the queen.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Kiss the ring baybee

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Better post!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

What a fun saturday night!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't know what I expected

Edit: I like this one better

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Holy loving poo poo we're all so screwed

JavaScript code:

var celebs = [
  {
    name: "Beyonce Knowles",
    boob_size: "DD"
  },
  {
    name: "Kelly Clarkson",
    boob_size: "B"
  },
  {
    name: "Sophie Rundle",
    boob_size: "A"
  }
];

var sorted_celebs = celebs.sort(function(a, b) {
  return a.boob_size > b.boob_size;
});

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Its great until Middle Management sees it and fires everyone because they think you can just say, "Create an ERP system with the following 8394 requirements" and it will work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Its great until Middle Management sees it and fires everyone because they think you can just say, "Create an ERP system with the following 8394 requirements" and it will work.

Maybe that's what's going on with twitter right now.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

So before I went into IT, I worked in a field that has a heavily automated element (laboratory medicine). Turns out, a lot of the job was sanity checking what the analyzers and robotics stuff spit out and troubleshooting all the bullshit caused by people and by machines.

I’m generally less concerned about AI and automation because having critical, incorrect things decided via computer without human input can be cost prohibitive, and computers can be extremely good at things until they’re very wrong. People are stupid, but we’re far better at looking at things in a soft context.

Also, upper management will be unable to satisfactorily fire a computer if something goes horribly sideways so there will always be a place for human review.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

from linkedin import linkedin
import requests
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup

# Specify the path to your config file
CONFIG_FILE = 'config.json'

# Instantiate the developer authentication class
auth = linkedin.LinkedInDeveloperAuthentication(CONFIG['CONSUMER_KEY'],
CONFIG['CONSUMER_SECRET'],
CONFIG['USER_TOKEN'],
CONFIG['USER_SECRET'],
CONFIG['RETURN_URL'],
linkedin.PERMISSIONS.enums.values())

# Pass it in to the app... you can't send goatse pics without it
app = linkedin.LinkedInApplication(auth)

# Use the app...
aj = app.search_profile(selectors=[{'people': ['first-name', 'last-name']}], params={'keywords': 'aj'})

url = "http://goatse.info/"
r = requests.get(url)

soup = BeautifulS

It’s learning

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Had a meeting with my current boss today. Creating a new position for me with a fancy Sr title, upping my base pay to match my other offer, and a 10% bonus and the other week of PTO. I dont have messaging or email apps from work on my phone. I dont have a work phone. Im never on call. I havent worked past noon on a Friday all year. The work life balance with the other benefits is enough to get me to stay. Was just too much for me to turn down.

When I say this place is a shitshow though, heres an example. It took me 6 months to convince them to turn on CloudTrail logging org wide. Like fundamental security basics here are a tooth and nail fight. Thats where my frustration comes in with the org. My team and management are great though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm going to buck the trend and say you don't need to leave for this offer if they give you a good enough counter. But almost everyone just turns around and uses that to get an even better offer somewhere. Companies know this and put you in the "on borrowed time" column. Hence the 1 year incentive. If they're smart, they'll try to figure out how to cover for you in case that happens. If they're smart and lovely, they'll replace you and lay you off before you get the chance.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

KillHour posted:

I'm going to buck the trend and say you don't need to leave for this offer if they give you a good enough counter. But almost everyone just turns around and uses that to get an even better offer somewhere. Companies know this and put you in the "on borrowed time" column. Hence the 1 year incentive. If they're smart, they'll try to figure out how to cover for you in case that happens. If they're smart and lovely, they'll replace you and lay you off before you get the chance.

Yeah im officially accepting the counter offer to stay.

Another big reason. My company does a ton of government work, I've heard from the old timers here that they never do layoffs, including during Covid, Great-Recession, etc. So its a much safer bet than the relatively new consulting company I was going to leave for.

Really appreciate having this place as a sounding board though. Its incredible how much good career advice and knowledge ive gotten from this place over the years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah im officially accepting the counter offer to stay.

Another big reason. My company does a ton of government work, I've heard from the old timers here that they never do layoffs, including during Covid, Great-Recession, etc. So its a much safer bet than the relatively new consulting company I was going to leave for.

Really appreciate having this place as a sounding board though. Its incredible how much good career advice and knowledge ive gotten from this place over the years.

Just making sure that you didn't just miss the last part though - which is a lot of companies are going to be looking to replace you on their terms once they realize you were interviewing. It's poo poo but it's super common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Duly noted.

I have a friend thats an executive at another company thats been dying to hire me back as well. Base pay would be like $10k lower but the benefits are incredible. Thats my fallback plan for now if things go south at this company.