Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Hamelekim posted:

21:9 is better than 4K imo. But if you don’t want that then 1440p is definitely all that is needed.

Honestly I'd love an ultrawide but I don't have the desk space for it while maintaining a second monitor unless I do the on-top thing and live with the neck strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
with an ultrawide you don't need a second monitor

ultrawide is life

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1321525319862521859

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Sagebrush posted:

with an ultrawide you don't need a second monitor

ultrawide is life

I prefer two monitors to ultrawide. I don't like having two things on one screen. Also it's easier to have a game on one monitor and Firefox/Discord/SA etc on another monitor.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rage Mode according to GamersNexus guy was just like, the power slider on MSI Afterburner made distinct for marketing purposes. AMD apparently has its own auto-overclocking software apart from this, so why it gets its own buzzword who knows.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Rage Mode according to GamersNexus guy was just like, the power slider on MSI Afterburner made distinct for marketing purposes. AMD apparently has its own auto-overclocking software apart from this, so why it gets its own buzzword who knows.

if it's just a power slider it sounds like trickery to push the TDP down compared to the 3080 (20W difference is pretty much nothing anyway)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

if it's just a power slider it sounds like trickery to push the TDP down compared to the 3080 (20W difference is pretty much nothing anyway)

especially when some of the benchmarks that they used in the presentation DID have RAGE MODE turned on... at the same time that they were claiming that they were able to deliver high performance with better power efficiency

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

shrike82 posted:

lol looks like WD: Legion is heavily CPU bound with people on 9900K/3080s seeing 100% CPU utilization, 80% GPU utilization and frequent stuttering.

lol it’s great this is what they picked to include with every RTX 30 purchase then. Can’t wait to fire it up tomorrow to see how my stock 8700 suffers

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
This is why you can never trust first part benchmarks

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

shrike82 posted:

lol looks like WD: Legion is heavily CPU bound with people on 9900K/3080s seeing 100% CPU utilization, 80% GPU utilization and frequent stuttering.

Seems weird for sure.

3080 / 9900k 4K Ultra is 30-40% CPU load:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl7QEJUo32I

2080 Super / 9900k 1440p is 70-90% CPU load:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vFVU_jONPY

Like it's normal to use up more CPU if you your GPU can feed enough frames to keep the CPU working all the time but fast 8/16 pegged at 1440p seems not good.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's ubisoft no surprise that their engine is busted. i'll run some comparative benchmarks later

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Scarecow posted:

Are the AMD benchmarks and whatever those other benchmarks are using mostly-identical systems minus the GPUs?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Scarecow posted:

its because they tested it on a ryzen CPU whereas the other benchmarks are on a i9-10900k. amd's last hurdle to clear was getting absolutely top gaming performance

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Shipon posted:

its because they tested it on a ryzen CPU whereas the other benchmarks are on a i9-10900k. amd's last hurdle to clear was getting absolutely top gaming performance

didn't amd test on zen 3 processors which supposedly beat the 10900k?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

MeruFM posted:

didn't amd test on zen 3 processors which supposedly beat the 10900k?

well i guess we won't know until the review embargo lifts in a few days

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it was apparently done on the same 5900x system and from the Zen 3 announcement should be equal or a little faster then what intel has atm

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol if Nvidia has to start using AMD CPUs for their marketing benchmarks

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Scarecow posted:

You realise comparing benchmarks with entirely different base setups is entirely pointless don't you? I could run any of those games on my frankenstein-rear end 2 generations old system with a 3080 in it as it is right now, and post scores 20% lower than any of those 3080 scores probably.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
But thats the thing, the benches were from systems using a 9900k and a 10700k, AMD tested both the 3000's and their 6000's on the same AMD zen 3 system as per this slide, we know from AMD's Zen 3 announcement they are claiming to be equal or faster then intel now, its just interesting you always see the same poo poo from both companies doing stuff like this when the 3rd party reviews will find them out

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Scarecow posted:

But thats the thing, the benches were from systems using a 9900k and a 10700k, AMD tested both the 3000's and their 6000's on the same AMD zen 3 system as per this slide, we know from AMD's Zen 3 announcement they are claiming to be equal or faster then intel now, its just interesting you always see the same poo poo from both companies doing stuff like this when the 3rd party reviews will find them out

I'm not fanboying for either side here, but, find *what* out? They showed like for like benchmarks in their slide, testing the same system and changing out the one part they want to compare. This is the correct way to do benchmarks.

If the exact FPS figures in the graph don't line up to whatever preconceived notion of performance you were expecting, there could be a multitude of reasons for it. Yes, 3rd party testing will answer most of the questions you have, but it doesn't mean AMD or Nvidia or Intel are being underhand at all.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Guys I need some advice, I currently have an order on RTX 3080 ASUS TUF OC (they were selling it at a lower price than the non-OC wtf???) they are claiming it could be here beginning of December.
However I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy a 3080 rather than a 3070 for my setup? I currently have 970GTX so anyway it will be a huge upgrade for me.

I have a LG 27GL850-B monitor for the record. Also another question but my PSU is a Corsair RM650x will this thing have issues with either options?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Le0 posted:

Guys I need some advice, I currently have an order on RTX 3080 ASUS TUF OC (they were selling it at a lower price than the non-OC wtf???) they are claiming it could be here beginning of December.
However I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy a 3080 rather than a 3070 for my setup? I currently have 970GTX so anyway it will be a huge upgrade for me.

I have a LG 27GL850-B monitor for the record. Also another question but my PSU is a Corsair RM650x will this thing have issues with either options?

At 1440p, the different between the 3080 and 3070 is mostly going to be how long it lasts you. The 3070 will likely be great at 1440p for a while, and the extra grunt of the 3080 will extend that by a year or two when game engines get more demanding in the future.

Your PSU will handle either card fine.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AMD providing a TDP (power efficiency champs!!) then showing all their benchmarks with the vaguely named "RAGE MODE" that is just a power slider to increase the TDP is the shadiest first party benchmark trick I've seen in a while. And they seem to have gotten away with it for the majority, if you look at most other forums.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BurritoJustice posted:

AMD providing a TDP (power efficiency champs!!) then showing all their benchmarks with the vaguely named "RAGE MODE" that is just a power slider to increase the TDP is the shadiest first party benchmark trick I've seen in a while. And they seem to have gotten away with it for the majority, if you look at most other forums.

*Hides all the benchmarks with any ray tracing*

WE GOT EM!

I wanted AMD to be good at video cards pretty badly but lmao

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

AirRaid posted:

At 1440p, the different between the 3080 and 3070 is mostly going to be how long it lasts you. The 3070 will likely be great at 1440p for a while, and the extra grunt of the 3080 will extend that by a year or two when game engines get more demanding in the future.

Your PSU will handle either card fine.

Ok thanks, I think I'm too weak to wait and also it's probably bullshit it will get there beginning of december..
Is there any consensus on which brand are best? Can I chose by taking the cheapest?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Le0 posted:

Ok thanks, I think I'm too weak to wait and also it's probably bullshit it will get there beginning of december..
Is there any consensus on which brand are best? Can I chose by taking the cheapest?

It doesn't really seem to matter unless you're trying to XTREME OVERCLOCK, and even then it looks kind of meh.

The big 3 fan coolers seem to work better than the one on the Founders Edition but again not enough to really matter for most people just running the cards stock.

Some of the 2 fan 3070 coolers from PNY and Zotac look sort of lame I guess?

The 2 fan 3070 Asus is almost as long as a 3 fan cooler and almost 3 slots wide, a real fatboy lol

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Put an order in for a gigabyte 3080 gaming oc, it had the shortest queue out of all that I could check (only 52 people in front of me)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It seems nuts to me that Amazon still only lists two PNY 3070 cards total.

Also LOL at B&H starting off the scalping themselves with MSRP+$100 prices.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I wish I could just go for a 3070 today but all the benchmarks I’ve seen point to the 3080 being the better choice for 3440x1440 :(

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Martout posted:

Put an order in for a gigabyte 3080 gaming oc, it had the shortest queue out of all that I could check (only 52 people in front of me)

A few hundred of those + the eagles arrived in NL yesterday so think that queue will be fairly quick (if supply is the same wherever you are)

e: lol most AIB 3070's are around 650 euros here

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 29, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

tbf they did only do that for OC'd 6900 vs OC'd 3090 i think but maybe i remembered wrong i wasn't 100% paying attention

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Heliosicle posted:

A few hundred of those + the eagles arrived in NL yesterday so think that queue will be fairly quick (if supply is the same wherever you are)

NOVEMBER FLOOD!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

another slightly questionable thing was them hyping up the set bonus for zen3+rdna2 but then only showing the performance gain combined with rage mode

so it's not really clear what the gain is from smart memory access, those gains could just be because the card is overclocked :shrug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Sphyre promise will yet be fulfilled

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Heliosicle posted:

yeah I got hold of a very friendly and helpful sales rep who gave me queue length and how many they had gotten of each card the last few weeks - if supply keeps up I should have it within a month or so which is perfectly fine

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BurritoJustice posted:

nonsense, consider the other 6900XT benchmarks such as:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

another slightly questionable thing was them hyping up the set bonus for zen3+rdna2 but then only showing the performance gain combined with rage mode

so it's not really clear what the gain is from smart memory access, those gains could just be because the card is overclocked :shrug:

according to gamer jesus, rage mode is 1-2% boost at most, the rest is from SMA

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Truga posted:

according to gamer jesus, rage mode is 1-2% boost at most, the rest is from SMA

oh neat, so when is AMD going to open their SMA/DMA interface here so others can have the same advantage?

open standards are best guys! You shouldn't buy anything without open standards ! Only open standards !

gosh, wonder why NVIDIA wanted to buy ARM

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 29, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Truga posted:

tbf they did only do that for OC'd 6900 vs OC'd 3090 i think but maybe i remembered wrong i wasn't 100% paying attention

Bone stock 3090. It also uses their ryzen 5000 exclusive memory access but I guess that's more understandable as a hot feature.

I want NVIDIA to counter with a TDP figure at min power target and benchmark numbers with a Strix at 480W

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Patiently waiting for the 3070 to go on sale in an hour and a half. It looks like it's going to sell out fast in the UK, hundreds of people are on the Scan website right now, looking at the cards.

If I don't manage to snag one, can anyone recommend an alternative? The 2080 Super is still £600-£700 here.