Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tragedy of the commons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm finally going to push to get my photography/media business off the ground. Couple of dumb/small questions, maybe there's a better thread to ask these but here goes, as this is just off the top of my head while I'm running around getting some things done:
- Business emails. I mean emails with a custom @, like ceo@clownpenismedia.ca or something. How expensive are they, can anyone recommend a good host? Is it a bad idea to have all of these messages forwarded to my home email? I basically never use it for anything other than bills and invoices anyway.
- Instagram. It's first and foremost a photography business, so I'm thinking about starting a new Insta and filling it with my portfolio (since mine has cats and memes and politics etc. in it). How difficult is it to farm engagement this way, is it going to be a bad look if potential clients see it and go "why do you only have two dozen followers?"
- Flyers/posters. I want to put together some of these to post at venues etc. I don't have a lot of money and I'm wondering if it's unwise to make these without at least some examples of my photography on them (though IDK how well that would even translate to a simple print job). Should I make a QR code of my Insta or my email? Should I make little tear-off bits with that info on them like the old days?
- Business cards. Anyone got a reco for a good, ideally Canadian, business card company that I can throw a simple layout at? I honestly haven't done any vector GD in a long time and it scares me to have to worry about kerning and poo poo like that again.

Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm finally going to push to get my photography/media business off the ground. Couple of dumb/small questions, maybe there's a better thread to ask these but here goes, as this is just off the top of my head while I'm running around getting some things done:
- Business emails. I mean emails with a custom @, like ceo@clownpenismedia.ca or something. How expensive are they, can anyone recommend a good host? Is it a bad idea to have all of these messages forwarded to my home email? I basically never use it for anything other than bills and invoices anyway.
- Instagram. It's first and foremost a photography business, so I'm thinking about starting a new Insta and filling it with my portfolio (since mine has cats and memes and politics etc. in it). How difficult is it to farm engagement this way, is it going to be a bad look if potential clients see it and go "why do you only have two dozen followers?"
- Flyers/posters. I want to put together some of these to post at venues etc. I don't have a lot of money and I'm wondering if it's unwise to make these without at least some examples of my photography on them (though IDK how well that would even translate to a simple print job). Should I make a QR code of my Insta or my email? Should I make little tear-off bits with that info on them like the old days?
- Business cards. Anyone got a reco for a good, ideally Canadian, business card company that I can throw a simple layout at? I honestly haven't done any vector GD in a long time and it scares me to have to worry about kerning and poo poo like that again.

Thanks!

My background is running a small independent game studio, for the record:

1. Business emails: I bought a domain (tmagames.com) and then set up my Gmail account to have some aliases that use it (e.g. support@tmagames.com). The domain costs a nominal sum, the aliases are free. I keep a separate gmail account for my business stuff, mostly because I want to keep my Drive and YouTube use separated from private stuff.
2. Social media as an advertising system is a slow burn, and it requires dedicated effort. You can't just scream into the void, you also have to engage with other people on the site. And you'll need to learn the skill of crafting posts that people will engage with. It's about the only option available to small time folks who can't afford advertising, but it's not "free" in the sense that it takes time and effort to get any returns from it.
3. What's the idea here? People see your flyer at a coffeeshop or something, think "I could use some art to spruce up my home, I'll check out their website", go there and buy something? That feels pretty marginal to me...it's going to be hard to get eyeballs on a print unless the print is high-quality, and that costs money.
4. Business card printing is pretty straightforward, any halfway decent print shop should be able to do an adequate job of it. If you want it to be really aesthetically pleasing, though, then you may need to be pickier.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
My big language bugbear has always been when people use the word “literally“ when something is not actually physically occurring. Now that the battle on that has been lost, what are different people using to assert the truth of improbable situations? For example my go to would be “He was actually, physically, drowning in the chocolate vat at work until they pulled him out.”

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CrazySalamander posted:

My big language bugbear has always been when people use the word “literally“ when something is not actually physically occurring. Now that the battle on that has been lost, what are different people using to assert the truth of improbable situations? For example my go to would be “He was actually, physically, drowning in the chocolate vat at work until they pulled him out.”

you can still use literally that way. lots of words have two meanings. usually context makes it clear, people don't figuratively drown in vats of chocolate

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Not with that attitude

Are there underwater bases? Like in movies, video games, that kind of silly poo poo; is that an exaggerated take on existing stuff?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah it's usually clear from context, and anyway that use of literally is not out of the blue, it's exactly the same as "really" if you think about it, borrowing a portion of the meaning of something being real in order to emphasise how serious/strong the sentiment is.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Leave posted:

Not with that attitude

Are there underwater bases? Like in movies, video games, that kind of silly poo poo; is that an exaggerated take on existing stuff?

There are underwater bases, they are much lamer than the ones in movies, but they do cool and important stuff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquarius_Reef_Base

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I don't think there's any really deep ones on account of how expensive and impossibly difficult the construction and upkeep of such a thing would be, not to mention the difficulty in accessing it.

I guess there could be secret ones but submarines kinda do basically anything an underwater base could do with the advantage of being able to move around so I don't imagine even the most strangelove brained dude in the whole military could get it built.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

There are underwater bases, they are much lamer than the ones in movies, but they do cool and important stuff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquarius_Reef_Base

Important question, do they have a pod 6, and are they jerks

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is great advice, thank you. Definitely a lot to think about. I've got a couple of days off coming up to buckle down and figure things out. The posters i figured would mostly be going up at or near venues, and at my day job (a music store where there are some corkboards full of 'DRUMMER WANTED' etc ads).Going to put out some feelers for domain hosting and business card places. Thanks again.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

1. Business emails: I bought a domain (tmagames.com) and then set up my Gmail account to have some aliases that use it (e.g. support@tmagames.com). The domain costs a nominal sum, the aliases are free. I keep a separate gmail account for my business stuff, mostly because I want to keep my Drive and YouTube use separated from private stuff.

I tried this years ago and the disadvantage was that both your own address and the raw Gmail address appear in your e-mails' metadata. That means people can find out your internal address and certain e-mail clients (thunderbird, back then) might even use this internal address as the reply-to address. To prevent this, you can either get the full Google business suite which is pricy or stay out of the Google ecosystem.

If you buy a domain with a basic hosting plan it usually comes with a basic e-mail plan. Those online email apps are very basic and have a hard storage limit unless you pay more so it doesn't scale as well. You can solve that by instead connecting them up to outlook or thunderbird to have a full fledged e-mail client, and even decide to store older emails offline only so storage doesn't fill up. But that's a lot more hassle and you prob want an IT person to help you with the initial setup.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CrazySalamander posted:

Mine is literally the opposite of this: people have been using "literally" as an intensifier for literally hundreds of years. It's not some new development. It was old news when your grandparents were born. Charlotte Brontë used it that way. Charles Dickens used it that way. James Joyce used it that way.

Also, when people complain that "literally means figuratively these days" they're wrong. It doesn't. The statement was already figurative before "literally" was added. "I've got so many persimmons on my tree I'm [literally|absolutely|loving] drowning in them." See? The word "literally" doesn't change the meaning, it just makes it more forceful.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Same. It's become a smug meme at this point to complain about 'literally' while every other creative/non-literal use of language gets a pass (if they're even aware of it.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a wifi-enabled sprinkler controller and the router is about 20 feet away. The signal goes through an exterior wall and (obliquely) through an interior wall. Sometimes the Unifi app reports that the sprinkler controller has excellent signal, sometimes it's all the way to poor. What could cause the connection quality to vary so much when neither thing moves?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Taeke posted:

Same. It's become a smug meme at this point to complain about 'literally' while every other creative/non-literal use of language gets a pass (if they're even aware of it.)

Many people are nonplussed at these developments in language usage.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Also, when people complain that "literally means figuratively these days" they're wrong. It doesn't. The statement was already figurative before "literally" was added. "I've got so many persimmons on my tree I'm [literally|absolutely|loving] drowning in them." See? The word "literally" doesn't change the meaning, it just makes it more forceful.

That's exactly the point though? You would use it when a phrase is normally understood to be figurative, such that everyone would assume it to be figurative, and you want to indicate that in this case you mean its rare literal meaning, like you've actually fallen into a bin of persimmons and can barely breathe and you need help.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Less being a smuggo about improper use of literally; more being a smuggo about people using semicolons incorrectly

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

alnilam posted:

That's exactly the point though? You would use it when a phrase is normally understood to be figurative, such that everyone would assume it to be figurative, and you want to indicate that in this case you mean its rare literal meaning, like you've actually fallen into a bin of persimmons and can barely breathe and you need help.

If you're actually drowning in persimmons, you should probably skip some context about the fruit and just scream "help" and hope people could figure out.

It's not unique to "literally" either, a ton of words that have a specific literal meaning are used to enhance metaphorically. I don't even know how you'd weigh words for example. It's a large part of why language is amazing, you can use it in entirely new ways and still be understood.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I've noticed my kid using it, like so I think it's just coming back into, like, fashion

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

if you went out and made the decision to buy a crate of persimmons then I'm sorry but you deserve your fate

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The use of "literally" as an intensifier is an example of hyperbole, whereas most other intensifiers are not. That's the difference. Additional confusion arises from the fact that the word "literally" can be used to denote that a statement is not hyperbolic. Contextual indicators can usually indicate the sense of its use sufficiently, however.

If your goal is to be understood accurately and avoid confusion, you should refrain from using hyperbole in all forms, but we should also grant that being understood accurately is not the only (or even necessarily the primary) purpose of communication.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm going to be selling a ton of old action figures I've had since I was a kid. What site is the go-to to find out which are even worth selling vs kit bashing fodder?

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 12, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey gang, there exists some sort of ancient letter, maybe like Mesopotamia era ancient, wherein a guy writes to another guy lamenting about how his bro needs to fix the domestic issue with his girlfriend because the lady has been staying with the letter writer and is a real pain in the butt. He just wants to be rid of her but -- maybe she's his sister? I can't remember and cannot locate this letter anywhere...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Hey gang, there exists some sort of ancient letter, maybe like Mesopotamia era ancient, wherein a guy writes to another guy lamenting about how his bro needs to fix the domestic issue with his girlfriend because the lady has been staying with the letter writer and is a real pain in the butt. He just wants to be rid of her but -- maybe she's his sister? I can't remember and cannot locate this letter anywhere...

Does this Reddit thread help you? https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/s/SmqFD505XB

The OP’s comment links to a pdf of a book of Mesopotamian letters about all sorts of incredibly banal domestic stuff, bet it’s in there.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Less being a smuggo about improper use of literally; more being a smuggo about people using semicolons incorrectly

you FUCKER

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

The use of "literally" as an intensifier is an example of hyperbole, whereas most other intensifiers are not. That's the difference. Additional confusion arises from the fact that the word "literally" can be used to denote that a statement is not hyperbolic.

as someone already pointed out, the word "really" is frequently used in exactly the same way but doesn't seem to arouse nearly as much anger

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Earwicker posted:

as someone already pointed out, the word "really" is frequently used in exactly the same way but doesn't seem to arouse nearly as much anger

Really?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
"really" is a borderline-meaningless intensifier, which is why people keep reaching for the harder stuff when they want their audience to actually feel something.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Literally is too, they literally mean the same thing within this context. They really do.

edit: lol look at this slow guy vv

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 13, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

"really" is a borderline-meaningless intensifier, which is why people keep reaching for the harder stuff when they want their audience to actually feel something.

"really" and "literally" have exactly the same meanings and usage both as intensifiers and as descriptors of realness. there is nothing "harder" about literally, it just has more syllables.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The use of the word 'literally' as an intensifier literally predates its use in its literal sense.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

"really" and "literally" have exactly the same meanings and usage both as intensifiers and as descriptors of realness. there is nothing "harder" about literally, it just has more syllables.

My point is that "really" is weaker than "literally", even though they have the same basic function as adjectives (when not being literal about what "literally" means, anyway). It's like the difference between "strong" and "Herculean".

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
but "really" also has the same meaning as when you are being literal about what "literally" means

it can be used both as an intensifier for hyperbole and as a word meaning "yes the words im saying are accurate and not hyperbole"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
TooMuchAbstraction reads 'literally' as a stronger form of the idea than 'really'. That's not a relevant thing if we're talking 'actually for real' but it could be relevant to the hyperbolic form. I don't necessarily agree, but that's their own personal reading of it, they know they mean the same thing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Just don't use literally unless you mean it :shrug:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

Just don't use literally unless you mean it :shrug:

Better to err the other way.

"I'm literally drowning here!" I scream from a flooding cave.

"I feel you buddy!" a bypasser replies to my apparently figurative remark.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Welcome to the desert of the really.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Welcome to the desert of the really.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

kalel posted:

is there a thread or subforum for discussing musicals/Broadway/the West End?

Ironhead posted:

Be the change you want to see in the forums!

Start a (stage) musical thread, I'd read it. It's literally my profession.

OK, it's done. Please post!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4060667