Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I like Splendor as a 2p game but no one else seems to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Oh, I like Splendor at all player counts. Splendor is easy for me to like, but there's no way I'm going to love it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

If you want a wealth of "best at 2" games, I highly recommend getting into wargames. For a specific gateway, try Sekigahara!

It's lovely to look at, the chunky blocks are satisfying to move around, and the hand management feels more like the Euros you're used to than the obtuse world of counters and CRTs.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Combat Commander: Europe is the best 2p game ever but its probably not what you're looking for. Going to second battle line and add cribbage if nobody mentioned it yet.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
2p ( wife loves them ): Attika, and The Castles of Burgundy

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
The theme is an absolute mess and it's pretty expensive, but if I had to pick one 2p game where I'd have a regular dedicated play partner, it'd be Codex for sure.

But also, Spirit Island is great at every player count, including 2, and it's a billion times more accessible than Codex is.

hito fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 26, 2019

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
2p Blokus

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Carcassonne will always be my fave 2p

It plays more but is best at 2

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Twilight Struggle.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I play a lot of 2P games with my wife. Some of our favorites are Quest for El Dorado (play with 2 starter decks each), Century: Golem Edition, Patchwork, Azul, Keyflower, Santorini.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

uXs posted:

Twilight Struggle.

Wir Sins Das Volk is better imho

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
It may not be what you're after but Gloomhaven is a really good two player experience.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Despite making what seems like a truckload of core sets, the new Marvel Champions expansion packs that came out last week seem to be sold out everywhere. I was looking forward to giving Captain America a go but it looks like I'm waiting for a restock.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

SettingSun posted:

Despite making what seems like a truckload of core sets, the new Marvel Champions expansion packs that came out last week seem to be sold out everywhere. I was looking forward to giving Captain America a go but it looks like I'm waiting for a restock.

If you happen to be in Baltimore, Canton Games had one when I left on Christmas Eve.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lord Of Texas posted:

I play a lot of 2P games with my wife. Some of our favorites are Quest for El Dorado (play with 2 starter decks each), Century: Golem Edition, Patchwork, Azul, Keyflower, Santorini.

Why two started decks in El Dorado? Works great the normal way with one deck for both pawns and gives you interesting choices about keeping them even or rushing one then having a strong deck for the second.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I so want to get Marvel Champions but because we moved last month and are still not completely unpacked, there is a shitload of games I got and haven't played. I keep telling myself that Marvel Champions isn't going anywhere so no rush to get it but it does kind of bug me.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I don't know if it was accidental or just inevitable based on his output, but a large amount of my collection is now Knizia.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Why two started decks in El Dorado? Works great the normal way with one deck for both pawns and gives you interesting choices about keeping them even or rushing one then having a strong deck for the second.

I don't think starting with 8-card decks in a 2P game is bad. We just found that it results in both players getting very powerful decks very quickly due to scrap effects being easy to acquire with no one else fighting for them. Starting with 16 cards each (2x starter decks) means that you have to work to get to an ultra-streamlined deck, and drawing powerful cards like Scientist or Cartographer feels more meaningful.

With shorter maps, playing with 8-card decks might not be a problem at all, but we like making marathon maps with nearly every tile in the deck.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Crackbone posted:

I don't know if it was accidental or just inevitable based on his output, but a large amount of my collection is now Knizia.

Yeah same, 1/6th of mine

Lost Cities Rivals
Battle Line
High Society
Ra
Modern Art
Through the Desert
Blue Lagoon
Tigris & Euphrates
Blue Moon Legends
Quest for El Dorado

Next closest is Vlaada at 7 and Splotter at 4

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Designer diary for Black Angel. Opinions on what went wrong?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Also Food Chain Magnate with the Ketchup expansion is in stock at Cardhaus. I paid 75 Euros so this seems pretty expensive. On the other hand at least Cardhaus has it, I'm still waiting for my copy sadly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Designer diary for Black Angel. Opinions on what went wrong?

quote:

We started with the Troyes mechanisms and the theme of space travel that we all liked, then we wanted to find out where this theme was going to lead us.

Slapped on mechanics that are divorced from the somewhat unique theme are arguably the biggest problem. Sounds like they never really thought about making mechanics to fit their theme, just how to make existing mechanics function in this setting without any real integration.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Slapped on mechanics that are divorced from the somewhat unique theme are arguably the biggest problem. Sounds like they never really thought about making mechanics to fit their theme, just how to make existing mechanics function in this setting without any real integration.

Which is probably why it has that 'worse than Troyes' feel to it. Good insight.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

And I'm just gonna say it, Troyes looks a whole lot better too :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

First thing I noticed too.

Teotihuacan wouldn't have been released yet when they were working on this, but it's kind of a shame that there wasn't an improvement on a solid base of mechanisms. What's interesting is that the same kind of mechanism can be the same but can be used in more or less interesting ways. You could say maybe this is degrees of difference or just how they're utilized within the context of the game. Knizia has several good auction and tile-laying games, which I find to all be interesting in their little differences compared to weird remixes of worker placement or stat climbing that's en vogue right now. That could be my own bias against those mechanisms, but I do like me some Bus, Caylus, and Endeavor.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mayveena posted:

Also Food Chain Magnate with the Ketchup expansion is in stock at Cardhaus. I paid 75 Euros so this seems pretty expensive. On the other hand at least Cardhaus has it, I'm still waiting for my copy sadly.

I'm greatly enjoying the FCM expansion, even while only playing 2 player. So far we've only used the new milestones, coffee and kimchi though.

Begun, the pizza wars have:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

Carcassonne will always be my fave 2p

It plays more but is best at 2

I've played 2p carc with my wife 100+ times. I used to carry it in my bag every day, tucked into an oreo sleeve, and play it with her after work at coffee shops probably 5x a week.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Playing 1862 and I gotta say I kinda hate this game.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

On Mobile-board games, I picked up Through the Ages and Race for the Galaxy. Both are really good, but holy poo poo I cannot imagine how long an IRL game of TTA must take. I've got it setup with me + three AI on instant speed and its still pretty dang slow.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Depends on experience. I've done 3p games in 2 hours.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

al-azad posted:

Playing 1862 and I gotta say I kinda hate this game.

Yeah it's a pretty big disappointment IMO. Evaluating the company flop is a really big part of the game to the point that it dictates the structure of the game more than the players. It's got a lot of single dollar decisions and a merger process that ends up being disappointing strategically and obnoxiously fiddly. The track game is supposed to be really good but you're either laying track for locals or express/freights and the tokening game is fairly simple. Despite this calculating runs is annoyingly intricate.

It also has very few ways to catch yourself up if you get behind so if you miss a payout mid game expect to be out of contention for the rest of the game

dromer fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 27, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

We’re nearing the end of the game and trying to figure out which H train to buy to maximize profit is annoyingly obtuse which “annoyingly obtuse” is my short review of this game. The certificate limit is a joke as you lose so much merging and it feels like every design decision is chrome for the sake of chrome. If I hear someone say “as the crow flies” in my life again you will hear about my meltdown in national news.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Of course, 1862 is my second favorite after '22 :) I like the way the trains are different and that it doesn't have stupid privates. As long as everyone understands how the mergers work, we've never had an issue with them. Most people I've played with enjoyed the game (as long as they weren't expecting stock shenanigans) and want to play it again.

Different folks, different strokes. I'm still planning on starting an LA based 1830 group, and since at the moment it's the only one in publication (or at least easily available at a not ridiculous price) we'll probably start with it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

silvergoose posted:

Shogi too, if you have even a passing enjoyment of chess.

I literally learned shogi yesterday and it owns enough that it’s probably ruined regular international chess for me forever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

food court bailiff posted:

I literally learned shogi yesterday and it owns enough that it’s probably ruined regular international chess for me forever.

I will honestly never get over the fact that instead of some lame castling move, you build an actual castle out of your pieces and move the king into it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I will never get over that "endgame" in Shogi means a frantic checkmate race rather than 3-4 pieces bouncing around an empty board.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've been offered a copy of Civilization (for free) by my brother in law, either to play or sell at my discretion. Worth taking it?

Just regular ol' Civilization, 2-4 hours for a game.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

There are like 4 games called Civilization. Might need to be more specific.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

dishwasherlove posted:

There are like 4 games called Civilization. Might need to be more specific.

Fair. Should've specified Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Edit: specifically the FFG release.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/77130/sid-meiers-civilization-board-game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've not played my copy of '62, just a few games online, and it will be my first time teaching rather than linking to a pdf of the rulebook, and I'm rather looking forward to teaching it, hopefully I can impart that it's a light bouncy game. I'm a bit worried about counting revenue, I may pack some string.
Also I'm not sure about criticising it for lacking a catch-up mechanism.
That's not something special to '62 but endemic to the family. I'm not sure I can name a game where someone could never rightly say "I cannot win and must still play for 2 hours".