Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

Tempted to buy another PB287Q at that price....don't have enough video outs on my laptop to drive another though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Good! Less goons to snatch up all the warehouse deals.

Seriously though any reason to not pick this up at that (warehouse $421) price?

You can get it new for $487 through a 3rd party seller

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Christoff posted:

-edit Reading nothing but great reviews for this monitor. And you can OC it to 85hz it seems. I'm tempted to get this and use it as my main monitor
Does it actually overclock correctly, or just allow you to set ~85Hz and drop frames? Other than the price, my understanding is that that's the big draw of certain Korean PLS's without scalers--they actually OC without dropping frames, whereas all the monitors with scalers simply drop frames any time they're pushed higher than 60Hz.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

No idea to be honest. Don't know poo poo about overclocking monitors. Apparently 85hz is the sweet spot and 120hz doesn't work very well.

Warehouse deal is up to $456 anyways. $417 through a 3rd party "used," or $487 new.

Ah well. Probably best I just wait anyways! Already have that 27" monoprice monitor coming.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
For what its worth, I don't like open box things in my personal experience unless I can physically see it. I've had much better luck with random chance off Craigslist or forums than I have through any open box program. People tend to return broken poo poo instead of using a warranty whenever possible, and sometimes broken poo poo isn't apparent and just get resold. Yes it is guaranteed through Amazon so that is a big plus in this case. A part of it is probably having worked at Best Buy like 8 years ago and seeing the crazy stupid poo poo they resell for ten whole percent off.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Christoff posted:

No idea to be honest. Don't know poo poo about overclocking monitors. Apparently 85hz is the sweet spot and 120hz doesn't work very well.
Does anyone in the thread here have a PB278Q to test with? I've seen a few threads and whatnot about it saying that people have hit 85Hz, but then at least an equal number of threads noting that while it'll hit 85Hz, it does so by frame-dropping and the only way to "really" exceed 60Hz with an IPS/PLS is to go with one of the OSD-free Qnix/Xstar or the Overlord monitors.

Because drat, wouldn't I love a 75-85Hz 1440p IPS/PLS that didn't have a stand and frame made out of absolute crap.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DrDork posted:

Does anyone in the thread here have a PB278Q to test with? I've seen a few threads and whatnot about it saying that people have hit 85Hz, but then at least an equal number of threads noting that while it'll hit 85Hz, it does so by frame-dropping and the only way to "really" exceed 60Hz with an IPS/PLS is to go with one of the OSD-free Qnix/Xstar or the Overlord monitors.

Because drat, wouldn't I love a 75-85Hz 1440p IPS/PLS that didn't have a stand and frame made out of absolute crap.

I don't have one but TweakTown did a pretty thorough walk-through and said it looked smoother.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
I have a really dumb issue with my Dell UltraSharp U2412M and an HDMI cable. So I see the drat HDMI port and I have been trying fruitlessly to plug an HDMI cable into it. I've used 2 different one's - my buddy's generic best buy HDMI cable and an Amazon HDMI cable. Even when the drat plug is lined up it refuses to push any further into the port beyond 2/3 of the way. There is no click and I'm fearful of damaging the monitor if I force it any hard(furthermore I don't think this much force should be required). Obviously I've removed the guard from the HDMI cable and there doesn't appear to be one in the port area. What am I doing wrong?

For now I've been using DVI since it works easy, but I'd like to run my other monitor on the DVI while I run the Dell on HDMI. Until this is fixed I'm limited to the one monitor.

Anyhow I'd like to take this time to thank the thread for helping me find this monitor. It's a drat amazing upgrade over my 5 year old Hannis'G and I couldn't be happier with the quality.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 8, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

onemanlan posted:

I have a really dumb issue with my Dell UltraSharp U2412M and an HDMI cable. So I see the drat HDMI port and I have been trying fruitlessly to plug an HDMI cable into it. I've used 2 different one's - my buddy's generic best buy HDMI cable and an Amazon HDMI cable. Even when the drat plug is lined up it refuses to push any further into the port beyond 2/3 of the way. There is no click and I'm fearful of damaging the monitor if I force it any hard(furthermore I don't think this much force should be required). Obviously I've removed the guard from the HDMI cable and there doesn't appear to be one in the port area. What am I doing wrong?

For now I've been using DVI since it works easy, but I'd like to run my other monitor on the DVI while I run the Dell on HDMI. Until this is fixed I'm limited to the one monitor.

Anyhow I'd like to take this time to thank the thread for helping me find this monitor. It's a drat amazing upgrade over my 5 year old Hannis'G and I couldn't be happier with the quality.

I ran into this problem a LOT with Dell 24's of various kinds. Although usually it was physically hung up on the plastic housing of the monitor, sounds like that isn't the case there.

I will say that some HDMI ports require a significant amount of force the first time. But I really can't recommend that as I'm pretty sure that's because it isn't always entirely straight and you are straightening it with the cable. Also that only usually applies to the metal rim, which would imply that if you're getting it in 2/3 of the way this might not be the issue either.

I'm assuming it doesnt work though?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

onemanlan posted:

I can't offer any advice on making the HDMI fit (other than checking to see if there is an obstruction), but if the port is broken, you can still do a dual monitor setup with a DVI to HDMI cable.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

I ran into this problem a LOT with Dell 24's of various kinds. Although usually it was physically hung up on the plastic housing of the monitor, sounds like that isn't the case there.

I will say that some HDMI ports require a significant amount of force the first time. But I really can't recommend that as I'm pretty sure that's because it isn't always entirely straight and you are straightening it with the cable. Also that only usually applies to the metal rim, which would imply that if you're getting it in 2/3 of the way this might not be the issue either.

I'm assuming it doesnt work though?

I'll check again when I get home since I gave up during lunch. I gave up after fighting it for far too long. Sadly there wasn't much that came up with cursory google searches. Hopefully it'll be some obvious mistake for the fix. Thanks for the advice.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I've got a question that I hope has not been answered before, because it's kind of a niche case.

We have a sound console getting setup with a tower PC being setup to stream audio and run some basic projector/presentation type stuff. The console has one of those roll tops for security, so we can lock it down. Does anyone know of any monitor solutions that could collapse/fold down for such a setup? So, you open up the console and adjust the monitor into a vertical position (somehow) to do work. When you are done, you collapse it down so it lays somewhat flat and close the console. Any ideas?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The only thing I can think of is a rack console.

http://m.rakuten.com/product/202212034?listingid=-1&adid=18162

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

DrDork posted:

Do those Korean monitors at least have VESA mounts?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

onemanlan posted:

I have a really dumb issue with my Dell UltraSharp U2412M and an HDMI cable. So I see the drat HDMI port and I have been trying fruitlessly to plug an HDMI cable into it.

That's a DisplayPort. While it looks similar to HDMI it's a different connector entirely.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

onemanlan posted:

Take the monitor panel off the stand and put it on your bed or something so you have the best possible angle to get the hdmi cord in. My Dell was hell in this regard too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Coredump posted:

Take the monitor panel off the stand and put it on your bed or something so you have the best possible angle to get the hdmi cord in. My Dell was hell in this regard too.

Don't look at the post above yours. :ssh:

Dell posted:

CONNECTIVITY
1 Digital Visual Interface connectors (DVI-D) with HDCP
1 DisplayPort(DP)
1 Video Graphics Array (VGA)
1 USB 2.0 upstream port
4 USB 2.0 downstream ports
DC power connector for Dell Soundbar

onemanlan:

Buy this, and you will reach dual-monitor nirvana.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B001TH7T2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396990236&sr=8-1&keywords=dvi+to+hdmi

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Guys I'm pretty sure he's just not pushing hard enough.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Christoff posted:

Do those Korean monitors at least have VESA mounts?
Most of them, yes. Doesn't fix the terrible frame, though, which is often cited as the cause for light bleed and whatnot. If I got one I'd probably just de-bezel the damned thing and throw it up on an arm.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Asked it on the previous page but which is a better buy the UltraSharp U2412M or the UltraSharp U2414H?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The U2412M is 1920x1200 so it gives you more vertical screen space to work with, but the 2414 is newer, has ultra-thin bezels and supports displayport daisy-chaining, so it may be a better choice if you are planning on using more than one monitor.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Also note that a lot of people don't like the AG coating on the U2412M, and much prefer the less aggressive one on the *14 series.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Welp there is a perfect answer to my question. Thank you a ton!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
These monitors were heavily goon-recommended a few years ago:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_WQHD_IPS_LED_Monitor

I heard a successor was coming out soon (maybe already here?).

Does anyone know what's new in the "cheap high-quality wholesale mac screen" niche?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
The Microcenter monitor is still quite good, though it's no more "Mac specific" than any of the other cheap Korean 1440p panels. There hasn't been much news on a successor to it, and the way the monitor industry is running right now there probably won't be--it'll skip to something in the 4k range, but don't expect it anytime soon.

If you want to pick up something right now, it's still real hard to beat the generic Korean 1440p's--the Microcenter one really only buys you the ability to easily return it if you have issues.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

DrDork posted:

The Microcenter monitor is still quite good, though it's no more "Mac specific" than any of the other cheap Korean 1440p panels.

Yes, it is. This one has native DisplayPort. It's also better in a few other ways. This, the Nixeus, Zalcom, and Monoprice IPS-Glass monitors are all pretty closely related to one another, except the Nixeus has a different stand with height adjustment (negated by the fact the lowest setting is still way too high). All of these monitors use A-1 grade panels as well, so you should expect zero dead pixels and little or no backlight bleed. In total, the $100 premium of these monitors over a QNIX/X-STAR or similar monitor gets you:
  • DisplayPort (also HDMI and VGA if you need it)
  • Scaler hardware with on-screen display and color and backlight control (yes, it has it)
  • Slightly better build quality. Still a bit wobbly, but no bowed bezels or creaking noises
  • A-1 panels instead of rejects from other companies
It's more expensive, but if you have a Mac, it beats the cost of an active adapter.

The HP ZR2740w is also in this price range if you want name brand and need something with DisplayPort. They all have quite a bit of mura along the bottom edge, but I find this isn't really noticeable on a Mac, where the bottom of the screen is usually occupied by the dock and not white application windows.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 9, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KillHour posted:

Don't look at the post above yours. :ssh:

That's what I get.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zorilla posted:

Yes, it is. This one has native DisplayPort.
True; I assumed that if you were using a mac laptop that only supported DP you'd be opting for a DP-supporting Korean one--I probably should have been explicit about that.

Zorilla posted:

The HP ZR2710w is also in this price range if you want name brand and need something with DisplayPort. They all have quite a bit of mura along the bottom edge, but I find this isn't really noticeable on a Mac, where the bottom of the screen is usually occupied by the dock and not white application windows.
Do you mean the ZR2740W? It is/was a fine monitor, but is quite a bit more expensive--usually around $700 if you want it new. The PB278Q is probably the most reasonable "next step up" from the Microcenter/DP-Korean monitors: at $500 new it's ~$100 more expensive, but bumps up the build quality considerably and includes a decent tilt/swivel/pivot/height-adjust stand.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 9, 2014

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

DrDork posted:

True; I assumed that if you were using a mac laptop that only supported DP you'd be opting for a DP-supporting Korean one--I probably should have been explicit about that.

Do you mean the ZR2740W? It is/was a fine monitor, but basically out of production and difficult to find (and pricey when you do--usually around $700 if you want new). The PB278Q is probably the most reasonable "next step up" from the Microcenter/DP-Korean monitors: at $500 new it's ~$100 more expensive, but bumps up the build quality considerably and includes a decent tilt/swivel/pivot/height-adjust stand.

Yeah, that was a typo. I see ZR2740w's on eBay all the time as manufacturer refurbished for around $350-400 on eBay. Their discontinued status and sellers' desire to clear them out was the reason I recommended it. They were unreasonably expensive for the longest time. If the buyer is worried about quality issues, it comes with 1 year of commercial support in which a technician will actually come on site with a replacement.

As for Korean import monitors with DisplayPort support, I assume you mean models like the QNIX QX2710 Evolution II DP? Those don't have backlight adjustment. For that reason and the fact there isn't much of a price gap from the next step up, I would stay away from those.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I searched the thread and couldn't find any reference to it, but are there any glaring issues with this Asus VS239HV?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VS239HV-Wid...#productDetails

My old Samsung monitor died on me after 7 years of service, and from what i can tell this is a pretty decent monitor for its price given the markup you pay in the UK for electronics. Am i missing any warning signs?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Thanks for the advice. I bought the Auria EQ276W a while ago and while I like it, nobody seems to sell it anymore.

My friend wants something as close as possible to the Auria EQ276W but all the replacements you're mentioning seem sold out / discontinued.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
If you can't find a EQ276W, but require a monitor with a DisplayPort input, the PB278Q is the cheapest you'll find a brand new 1440p IPS monitor at without difficulty (sub-$500 on Amazon. It's also a fantastic monitor in its own right). The monitors Zorilla talks about you'll have to go to eBay for (unless you want to pay $700), same with the DisplayPort-capable Qnix/other Korean 1440p's.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Hey hey,

Just ordered a Asus vx279q, but I did not check that it was VESA mountable beforehand, it's not. I wanted to put it on a mount like the Ergotron 45-241-026. What are my options here? Are there VESA add-on brackets I can get if I like the monitor and want to mount it, or alternate style arm mounts, or should I just RMA it as soon as it arrives?

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I find myself with a dead monitor after 7.5 years of loyal service. Seeing as my options for replacement are very limited , what is considered a bigger gamble nowadays - betting on an imported Korean unsupported panel from eBay, or betting on Dell's infamous quality control and get a P2414H for a bit cheaper then that locally ?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just got my P2414H. Looks great. Though, when I received the monitor, this thing was in the displayport:

Is slid out without a problem, and I'm currently using the displayport just fine; my cable locked in without issue. I'm assuming a tester tried to yank out a displayport cable without pushing down on the locking mechanism first? The monitor packaging was sealed, came with all cables, etc. Should I be worried about anything?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

teagone posted:

Just got my P2414H. Looks great. Though, when I received the monitor, this thing was in the displayport:

Is slid out without a problem, and I'm currently using the displayport just fine; my cable locked in without issue. I'm assuming a tester tried to yank out a displayport cable without pushing down on the locking mechanism first? The monitor packaging was sealed, came with all cables, etc. Should I be worried about anything?

Lol yeah. Since it locks the sleeve disconnected from the cable when the person tried to move it when they forgot to unplug it. I imagined it's designed to be weak that way because it "locks".

HDMI cables certainly don't break away like that, but it's usually not a problem. Unless the tech picks up the monitor and turns and obliterates the cable and jack, which I've seen more than a few times.

Edit: Can't stand it anymore, the price has held for a week on ebay for a qnix 27 (~$290) so I'm going to plunge for it tomorrow. It really pains me to think that I've probably seen hundreds of these monitors in Korea and I didn't even give them a second look (I wasn't in the market either but still). I figured it was cheap rebranded poo poo. When you buy a monitor there even in the huge electronic marts they plug in and show you exactly what the individual monitor looks like every time too which would be nice in this case.

Here's to buying discount monitors from out of country on ebay that can't promise consistency :thumbsup:

Tempered glass models will be glossy as hell right? Too bad they are the cheapest

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 9, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ignoarints posted:

Lol yeah. Since it locks the sleeve disconnected from the cable when the person tried to move it when they forgot to unplug it. I imagined it's designed to be weak that way because it "locks".

HDMI cables certainly don't break away like that, but it's usually not a problem. Unless the tech picks up the monitor and turns and obliterates the cable and jack, which I've seen more than a few times.

Ahh, so I can attribute to that displayport sleeve being in the port due to the incompetence of a Dell tech? Haha. I did order it new from Amazon, just want to be sure I didn't get a used one or anything.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

teagone posted:

Ahh, so I can attribute to that displayport sleeve being in the port due to the incompetence of a Dell tech? Haha. I did order it new from Amazon, just want to be sure I didn't get a used one or anything.

Yeah. By "Dell tech" its just going to be some QC factory person wherever it was made. If it works it works. If it was factory sealed (one layer of tape on top and button) and everything else looked right (plastic film, cables wrapped factory-style, etc) there is very little chance it was actually used.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

DrDork posted:

If you can't find a EQ276W, but require a monitor with a DisplayPort input, the PB278Q is the cheapest you'll find a brand new 1440p IPS monitor at without difficulty (sub-$500 on Amazon. It's also a fantastic monitor in its own right). The monitors Zorilla talks about you'll have to go to eBay for (unless you want to pay $700), same with the DisplayPort-capable Qnix/other Korean 1440p's.

Perfect, I recommended the PB278Q to my friend.

This is one of the reasons I love Something Awful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ignoarints posted:

Yeah. By "Dell tech" its just going to be some QC factory person wherever it was made. If it works it works. If it was factory sealed (one layer of tape on top and button) and everything else looked right (plastic film, cables wrapped factory-style, etc) there is very little chance it was actually used.

Ok sweet. Yeah, everything was wrapped as it would be if I got it new; sealed bags, cables with covers and twist-ties, etc. This monitor is so nice. Convinced myself to get another one with some tax refund money.