Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I use it mostly for filling out forms that only provide very tiny boxes or short lines but when it has ink I try to keep it in the rotation but wonder sometimes if it's worth it since the F works just as well and is much easier to write with.

I did get an EF on my e95s and since it's slightly soft it writes more like a larger size. My general preference is for a big fat italic nib but most of the time it's just not practical and I do enjoy having a variety of sizes to apply to whatever need might arise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Everything Burrito posted:

I use it mostly for filling out forms that only provide very tiny boxes or short lines but when it has ink I try to keep it in the rotation but wonder sometimes if it's worth it since the F works just as well and is much easier to write with.

I did get an EF on my e95s and since it's slightly soft it writes more like a larger size. My general preference is for a big fat italic nib but most of the time it's just not practical and I do enjoy having a variety of sizes to apply to whatever need might arise.

Exactly that. I draw a lot so I guess when I write I am much more interested by the look and style of it then contents.

but I'm still a newbie somehow and everytime I get a new type of nib/pen I get excited and have fun with it so who knows! I love my Pigma micron 005 liners for doodling.

Well that was nervewreaking (for nothing as usual). My beloved Pelikan's piston, the 20th time I operated it flushing out ink started to click like it was skipping notches and it felt like I was loosing space in there.
Talked to the seller and another member from FPN who where very reassuring and helpful and with google on top I just took the nib unit out, clean the barrel, silicone grease it, work the piston and it is like new.

Like with anything like that I'm happy it happened now I know my pen that much more.

OUF!
http://imgur.com/a/0C2Dq

Nib has only very minor scratches I'm pretty happy with that.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 7, 2017

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Iznogood posted:

Exactly that. I draw a lot so I guess when I write I am much more interested by the look and style of it then contents.

but I'm still a newbie somehow and everytime I get a new type of nib/pen I get excited and have fun with it so who knows! I love my Pigma micron 005 liners for doodling.

Well that was nervewreaking (for nothing as usual). My beloved Pelikan's piston, the 20th time I operated it flushing out ink started to click like it was skipping notches and it felt like I was loosing space in there.
Talked to the seller and another member from FPN who where very reassuring and helpful and with google on top I just took the nib unit out, clean the barrel, silicone grease it, work the piston and it is like new.

Like with anything like that I'm happy it happened now I know my pen that much more.

OUF!
http://imgur.com/a/0C2Dq

Nib has only very minor scratches I'm pretty happy with that.

Yeah, that's part of why I said they're basically bulletproof. If there's a problem, unscrew stuff and flush it. If it isn't smooth, greasing it is easy as hell.

Incidentally, the only issue with Noodler's in a Pelikan is that it pretty much gushes out. Then again, the way I write, german F's are already right up against the edge of too drat big as it is. Maybe I should use less terrible paper.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Neil deGrasse Tyson geeking the gently caress out on fountain pens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_RIhl_UFSQ

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I used a friends Sheaffer Calligraphy pen yesterday with a Fine nib (1mm). I really enjoyed using it a lot, and was wondering if that nib would be the same as a Lamy 1.1mm Stub/ Italic nib?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Professor Shark posted:

I used a friends Sheaffer Calligraphy pen yesterday with a Fine nib (1mm). I really enjoyed using it a lot, and was wondering if that nib would be the same as a Lamy 1.1mm Stub/ Italic nib?

It's going to be similar, but the line width difference between the vertical and horizontal strokes isn't going to be as extreme. My Lamy 1.1mm is more of a stub than a true italic, like the Sheaffer calligraphy pens. Richard Binder's site has some information on the differences in nibs, if you're interested.

Here's some guy's comparison between his Lamy stub and a calligraphy stub; Lamy is on top:

Lamy Safari 1.1 vs. Speedball Panache Fine by Jonathan Aquino, on Flickr

My Lamy 1.1mm nib is very fun to write with, though, and if you've got a Lamy that can take that sort of nib I say give it a go!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That looks great, thanks!

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Wow. Was so happy with my Seven sea journal I wanted to order 3-4 more before they run dry and to try the other formats (lined etc). But they charge 12 USD$ per notebook for shipping so it makes these completely overpriced for me. What a bummer.

edit: what the hell. It's for my business(lol) and I like the little box so much they scream archival I ordered two.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 8, 2017

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I came back from Tokyo:
https://imgur.com/a/5mata

I enjoyed the tiny Bung box store the most. Pleasant owner, I believe who was the CEO, and was excited about having foreign pen collectors in her store. Tiny, about 10-15x8ish feet with one shelf of pens and inks, a table, a cashier countertop and premium pen display. Since I mentioned one of the limited edition decimos, she happened to have one and let me see it. Great experience and I would like to go to the main store at some point.

Maruzen was big and had a good variety of options. Quiet with a good display of uncapped pens.

Itoya was busy and stressful. Lots of people, brightly lit, crampped capped pens displays.

I'm a huge fan of Eternal Blue and Renga.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

GoldenNugget posted:

I came back from Tokyo:
https://imgur.com/a/5mata

I enjoyed the tiny Bung box store the most. Pleasant owner, I believe who was the CEO, and was excited about having foreign pen collectors in her store. Tiny, about 10-15x8ish feet with one shelf of pens and inks, a table, a cashier countertop and premium pen display. Since I mentioned one of the limited edition decimos, she happened to have one and let me see it. Great experience and I would like to go to the main store at some point.

Maruzen was big and had a good variety of options. Quiet with a good display of uncapped pens.

Itoya was busy and stressful. Lots of people, brightly lit, crampped capped pens displays.

I'm a huge fan of Eternal Blue and Renga.

How lucky are you! Fantastic photos you are making me travel :-)

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Next trip to Tokyo, you should stop by Shosaikan in Aoyama too. It's probably one of my favourite pen shops in the world.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 8, 2017

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Kessel posted:

Next trip to Tokyo, you should stop by Shosaikan in Aoyama too. It's probably one of my favourite pen shops in the world.

haha I wish I had more time. Had two days in Tokyo and spent a combined time of 1 hour at all three stores. Definitely next trip I will go.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm almost at the end of my Field Notes that I use for my journals. I have a really nice, initialed, leather sleeve that I got from my girlfriend that I use with them. Are there any cheaper but better notebooks that are the same size that I could use?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Professor Shark posted:

I'm almost at the end of my Field Notes that I use for my journals. I have a really nice, initialed, leather sleeve that I got from my girlfriend that I use with them. Are there any cheaper but better notebooks that are the same size that I could use?

I have a couple of little notebooks that are the same size as Field Notes (3.5"X5") but they're all around the same price (Word, Chronicle, Field Notes at 3 for $10). They're all about the same for me. I like Life Vermilion notebooks better than any of those, but they're slightly larger (A6) and $3.50 each.

I see JetPens has a couple in that size with Tomoe River paper, which makes me want to place an order.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

The liliput fire blue on massdrop is so tempting. Such a nice price. So beautiful. But I traded off my al brass because it was to small. It would be ridiculous to get a lilliput. Right? Right? :holy:

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 9, 2017

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I've been farting around with my Lilliput supra. Without the barrel extension (so, normal Lilliput size) it's a perfectly balanced pen when posted. It takes a few more turns to uncap and post than I'd like, but that's okay. Not being able to use a converter is a pain, but I've got so many dozens of standard international cartridges laying around from the free one that comes with every pen that it's trivial to empty one to use for ink of my choice.

I think that if I was going to buy a lilliput I'd buy the fireblue for the color. I prefer having a full size pen in hand over a pocket pen without the need to post to get there. They're just annealed steel, but annealed steel is really really pretty.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

NeurosisHead posted:

I've been farting around with my Lilliput supra. Without the barrel extension (so, normal Lilliput size) it's a perfectly balanced pen when posted. It takes a few more turns to uncap and post than I'd like, but that's okay. Not being able to use a converter is a pain, but I've got so many dozens of standard international cartridges laying around from the free one that comes with every pen that it's trivial to empty one to use for ink of my choice.

I think that if I was going to buy a lilliput I'd buy the fireblue for the color. I prefer having a full size pen in hand over a pocket pen without the need to post to get there. They're just annealed steel, but annealed steel is really really pretty.

Just looked up the dimensions and nope. I'll hate it. I'm sure it's a looker but I loved my sport brass and still traded it off (with disastrous results) because it was a few mm's short. Still a good deal for once on massdrop.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

NeurosisHead posted:

I love how those look and I'm also a fan of the pocket pen size but really can't justify spending that much on a pen right now so it's perpetually wishlisted.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You could just get a stainless steel version and go at it with a blowtorch.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

grack posted:

You could just get a stainless steel version and go at it with a blowtorch.

that's a thought, not that I have a blowtorch or would have any idea how to use one
e: pretty sure I saw a post somewhere that a guy DIY'd this to a cheaper steel pen and it did look pretty cool.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hadn't been using my Lamy 2000 for a while as it wasn't flowing too well and was a bit frustrating. Part of spring cleaning was getting a thing of soapy water and cleaning all of my pens out - it is back to flowing beautifully and sits as my everyday work pen once more. This is your reminder that if you're having issues, warm soapy water fixes all that ails you(r pen).

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

Hadn't been using my Lamy 2000 for a while as it wasn't flowing too well and was a bit frustrating. Part of spring cleaning was getting a thing of soapy water and cleaning all of my pens out - it is back to flowing beautifully and sits as my everyday work pen once more. This is your reminder that if you're having issues, warm soapy water fixes all that ails you(r pen).

I was sure you were going to say you dropped it! The curse is broken!

Twsbi 700r out for delivery! Really curious to get this one. Wanted a 700 for ever but it was out of stock and somewhat of a lemon. My Mini diamond is such a good pen and from what I read it addresses all the old issues with cracking and stuff. The new 700r is supposed to be the same in that regard. Hopefuly!

edit: ho ho ho! Mail Lady delivered not one but two packages! Got one of my random jinhao ebay purchase. I buy a couple of pens every now and then at 0.99-2.99 max shipped. They're crazy for the price.

Twsbi Vac 700r with little cousin

The Vac 700r is HUGE

had the vac 700r for minutes so nothing to report except filling is easy and fun, nothing wrong with the pen at first glance. Extra fine is pretty smooth but a little scratchy (or feedbacky hard to tell).

At least at this point I'm super happy. The mini is fun and a bigger version sounds just like more fun.

edit: wtf Twsbi the clip is like chalkboard I get shivers every time I touch it. Something's getting buffed out. drat.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 10, 2017

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
So Pen Chalet oversold and they're just going to sit on my Petrol order for a full week, huh. :smith:

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Trustworthy posted:

So Pen Chalet oversold and they're just going to sit on my Petrol order for a full week, huh. :smith:

I'd cancel the purchase and get it somewhere else. It's very bad practice to oversell preorders. Are they that in demand cause wonderpens still has some if the website is right.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
My TWSBI Eco came in! The EF nib is very nice, and actually EF, a welcome change compared to my former work pen-- that Lamy Al-Star's F nib was so beat up it was an M. This nib has just a hint of feedback, which I may smooth out if it doesn't take care of itself over the next week or two. It's definitely at a nice level for being such a small nib, though. The Eco goes with me to work tomorrow, so I will see how I like having a piston screw cap pen hanging from my lanyard.

The Eco really looks like a vape, though. Like to the point I'm worried I'm going to get called out for bringing tobacco products on site, and for flagrantly displaying my nicotine habit. (Work REALLY doesn't like tobacco or vaping.) I guess if it does happen I get to introduce more people to fountain pens? (And then maybe find another cheap pen for work.)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
new sparkly Jinhao x750 was in my mailbox when I got home :toot:

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Hi thread - don't post much in here, but maybe this is good for someone? I think I've finally had it with my TWSBI VAC..... something? 580? Now, what's wrong with this picture?

I could write to TWSBI and get another cap, as I did when something else broke, but I think I'm going to cut my losses and stick to (what else?) Pilot Metros. So, any UK goons here want the two nibs and the spare barrel, spanner? The nibs are EF and B, if you want to check this gift horse's teeth. I'll post them in a Jiffy bag to the first UK goon to reply in the thread, then PM me an address. I have a visitor returning to the UK at the start of May, so cross your legs. And if you want to chuck a fiver or tenner to the charity of your choice, that would be good karma.

Not dealt with anyone in the thread before, apart from Pixelante, to whom I sent a box of comedy Chinese fountain pens at the start of the year.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Teach posted:

Hi thread - don't post much in here, but maybe this is good for someone? I think I've finally had it with my TWSBI VAC..... something? 580? Now, what's wrong with this picture?

I could write to TWSBI and get another cap, as I did when something else broke, but I think I'm going to cut my losses and stick to (what else?) Pilot Metros. So, any UK goons here want the two nibs and the spare barrel, spanner? The nibs are EF and B, if you want to check this gift horse's teeth. I'll post them in a Jiffy bag to the first UK goon to reply in the thread, then PM me an address. I have a visitor returning to the UK at the start of May, so cross your legs. And if you want to chuck a fiver or tenner to the charity of your choice, that would be good karma.

Not dealt with anyone in the thread before, apart from Pixelante, to whom I sent a box of comedy Chinese fountain pens at the start of the year.

For what it's worth the new vac 700r is said to be free of these defects. Mine feels pretty sturdy just like my mini.

Got my second Misubi notebook! Better shape then the first one. One corner is crushed and soft so I guess someone dropped it ;-) I don't care it's handmade so of course it's not perfect. It's perfect for what I'll use it for and that is write stuff in it (well my mom she gets this one).

Hum! A friend just found a very nice Waterman L'Etalon blue lacquered and asked me to check it out. Cartridge in there everything has been dried in there for years. But that's nothing the something is the section near the nib. Something ate at it. I have no idea what and she has no clue where she got the pen to start with. It was in her old stuff.
Something tells me this is going to gently caress with the ink flow or the seating of the nib but I wont know until I am done cleaning this ink sand disaster.

Anyone has a clue what caused this? I have no idea what irongale(sp?) inks damage looks like but I expect a black ink cartridge to not contain any?

Any help is welcomed!

edit:.. Just had this vision.. Someone pushing some solvent thru the feed out the nib like we would do with water whilst flushing our pens. That would explain it. And ruin the section 100%.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 11, 2017

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Pen Chalet posted:

I am sorry I haven't emailed sooner. I was just letting you know the status of your Lamy Petrol order. The response for the pen and ink has been overwhelming and we have sold out of our initial order of the fountain pens. The ink still has not arrived in the US as of yet. As of right now we have not been able to get an exact ETA of when our next shipment will be here but they are coming. We will be shipping each order in the order they are received and your order should go out with the next shipment. We will try and keep you abreast as we hear more. Please let me know if you have any questions or it there is anything else I can do for you.
Welp not super thrilled about this, since the pen was "in stock" when I put one in my cart and gave them my money a week ago. If it hadn't been, I would have ordered elsewhere and had the pen in my hand days ago. :smith:

I get that there are logistical challenges with an unexpectedly popular limited edition item, and I'm sure they're doing the best they can to catch up, but it's still annoying as poo poo. Especially the "no ETA" part. Maybe set up your storefront to be honest about what you have in stock, and what you don't...?

edit: This is the first Lamy I've ever bought. Maybe the SA Lamy 2000 curse has shifted over to Safaris?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 11, 2017

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Teach posted:

I'll post them in a Jiffy bag to the first UK goon to reply in the thread, then PM me an address. I have a visitor returning to the UK at the start of May, so cross your legs. And if you want to chuck a fiver or tenner to the charity of your choice, that would be good karma.

I'd really appreciate 'em, if you're okay parting with them.
I'll throw an extra tenner to my local dog rehoming charity :woof:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Are Noodler Inks well regarded? They have great prices, cool colors, and cool names.

Iznogood posted:

I'd cancel the purchase and get it somewhere else. It's very bad practice to oversell preorders. Are they that in demand cause wonderpens still has some if the website is right.

When I ordered my Copper Orange Al Star from them it was removed immediately after I submitted the order, it was their last one. So from my experience, what they have on there is what they have.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Professor Shark posted:

Are Noodler Inks well regarded? They have great prices, cool colors, and cool names.

Yes. They are very saturated with pigment, so if you let the ink dry out in the pen it can be a little more work to get it clean, compared to an ink from, say, Pilot. I have quite a few samples and a couple bottles of Noodler's ink and they have worked nicely for me in a variety of pens. The 'Bay State' collection, or at least Bay State Blue, is known for staining pens, but otherwise I think you can go hog wild.

e: Noodler's offers quite a few 'Bulletproof' inks that resist water, bleach, etc. They have glow in the dark, invisible, highlighter ink, inks that change color, really they do bunch of fun stuff that not many other companies try to do.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 11, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Careful with Noodler's highlighter inks and staining as well, btw.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I wonder if FPN still has that rule about ink trolling?

But yeah, Noodler's inks are pretty excellent. Make sure you flush out a pen (or refill it) promptly after it's empty though, because it'll just get harder and harder to get entirely clean (although that's only really a problem for demos, IMO). They're mostly nicely lubricated, so in a number of pens you might uncap it and find some ink on the nib, which bothers people for some reason.

Also the baystate series are even more saturated than normal, and even more difficult to get out of things, including sinks. So do be careful if you're using one of those. And I've not tried them personally, but I imagine you don't really want to use any of the Eel series inks in a particularly wet pen, because they're even more lubricated and that seems like you'd end up with a lot more ink on paper (and the obvious problems that comes with that).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Teach posted:

UK goon reporting in! I'd love to get the nibs bits, and am happy to toss a tenner to a charity of your choice as thanks.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Noodler's inks are rad for their price-to-value quality and just how nice the colors are themselves, I ordered three samples of reds to figure out which one I liked best but ended up buying all of them (they were Widow Maker, Tiananmen, and Black Swan in English Roses). And I still don't think I've seen an ink that blows me away quite like Habanero does, it's definitely not an ink you can use for anything but I don't really care because the shading is sick as hell. It's in the mail along with Lexington Gray and I can't wait for them to finally arrive.

That being said I feel like I have to do more research when buying a Noodler's ink over other brands, because I think the quality can vary drastically depending on certain colors. For example I bought Rachmaninoff awhile ago for the pepto bismol pink color, but it behaves so poorly that it's completely unusable. Someone in this thread mentioned having similar troubles with another ink from the Russian line. And as people have mentioned, Baystate Blue is infamous for staining things. But again, as long as you're doing your research ahead of time and reading reviews and stuff, it's not a problem.

Different topic - how long ago was the Lamy Petrol color announced? I don't really keep up on FP things, I just happened to stumble across it while browsing Goulet yesterday. I put in an order for the pen on Monday (this'll be my first Safari, too), and now that I look at it, I think I might've ordered the last one they had in stock of that size or something. Was this a highly anticipated release or something?

By the way Widow Maker owns and I haven't ever seen anyone talk about it. It's a surprisingly cheerful and vibrant red for its name.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

As I increase the amount of Tomoe River I write on, i find myself decreasing the amount of Noodler's ink I use. It tends to smudge all over the place regardless of how long you let it dry. Also Nathan Tardiff is a crazy person who might very well try to blow up the Fed at some point.

That said, Heart of Darkness is still my go-to black ink.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

melodicwaffle posted:

That being said I feel like I have to do more research when buying a Noodler's ink over other brands, because I think the quality can vary drastically depending on certain colors. For example I bought Rachmaninoff awhile ago for the pepto bismol pink color, but it behaves so poorly that it's completely unusable. Someone in this thread mentioned having similar troubles with another ink from the Russian line. And as people have mentioned, Baystate Blue is infamous for staining things. But again, as long as you're doing your research ahead of time and reading reviews and stuff, it's not a problem.

Different topic - how long ago was the Lamy Petrol color announced? I don't really keep up on FP things, I just happened to stumble across it while browsing Goulet yesterday. I put in an order for the pen on Monday (this'll be my first Safari, too), and now that I look at it, I think I might've ordered the last one they had in stock of that size or something. Was this a highly anticipated release or something?

Yeah, that was me and my Dostoevsky. Oddly, I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone else have an issue with it.

The thing with Noodler's (although I don't know exactly how true this is anymore, but it is to some extent, based on American Aristocracy) is that they're made in batches and the batches aren't exactly identical. So you end up with inks with slightly different shades and other things. So I have no doubt that I ended up with an outlier in terms of that bottle.

Incidentally, weren't those meant to be limited? I swear I still see places selling the Russian line (and other stuff I'd assumed wasn't going to be produced as regular as say, Blue).

As for Petrol, I don't think I've actually seen anyone mention the ink. I saw that in Goulet's newsletter and it certainly looks neat (and a bit like petrol — like a way less dark El Lawrence or something). But it's hard to believe that's a Lamy Ink. Admittedly, the only one I used was the cartridge of blue with my Safari, and it was boring as hell. It's weird to imagine any first party making such an interesting ink, but especially so Lamy.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

melodicwaffle posted:

Lamy limited edition yearly releases are generally pretty popular-- lots of people like to collect the colors when they come out. Petrol and Windex Pacific Blue were announced back in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I was using Diamine Oxblood in my TWSBI 1.1 stub and it was wonderful.

I switched to Kon Peki and I am getting feathering like crazy to the point that it feels like I'm writing with a sharpie.

Is this just a difference in inks? I thought the Iroshizuki inks were supposed to be pretty well behaved?